Bean Timeline--can't find one

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
Adonis1x23
Launchie
Launchie

Bean Timeline--can't find one

Postby Adonis1x23 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:12 am

So for awhile now I have been trying to figure out how old Bean is in several points in the shadow saga, but my google-fu has failed me and the only thing I have been able to find is only related to Ender's Shadow.

Is there a more extensive timeline?

Or could someone just riddle me this; How old was Bean and Petra...

1. ... at the end of Ender's Shadow?

2. ...when Bean was made Stratego of the Hegemony?

3. ...when they tried invitro?

4. ...when Bean killed Achilles?

5. ...when Bean was shipped off at the end of SotG?

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:40 pm

I don't believe that any such official timeline exists. OSC always says that he's not really good at keeping track of character ages. Still, there are some clues in the novels.

Bean was about two years younger than Ender in EG/ES, and since Ender was 11 when he destroyed the buggers, that puts Bean at 9 at the end of ES. I think that he was 10 by the time that SotH began, and Petra was 14.

I would guess that the events of SotH span about a year, which would put Bean at 11-12 and Petra at 15-16 by the time she was rescued from Achilles.

I would also guess that 1-2 years pass between SotH and SP, which would make Bean, let's say 14 and Petra 18 during SP.

If I'm not mistaken, in SotG Bean's age is said to be about 16 (his exact date of birth is unknown) and most of the jeesh members are said to be about 20, so Petra is probably around that age. As I said, Card doesn't give specific details about the passage of time between or during the Shadow books.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Adonis1x23
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Adonis1x23 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:29 pm

Thanks alot.

Bean...knocking girls up before he can drive...

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:15 am

According to this, Bean is closer to 3 years younger than Ender, I think.

There used to be that image, and ones for EG and ES specifically, but the wayback machine doesn't appear to have the ES one... it would've been under the filename estimeline.gif, instead of egestline.gif.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

puppets
Soldier
Soldier

Postby puppets » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:53 am

Bean is 3 years younger than Ender. Bean enters Battle school at age 5, according to the old Ender's Game timeline, Ender was already 8.

Plus at the end of Ender's Shadow, Graff asks Bean age, and Bean says there are no official records, but that he thinks hes 8 or something.
"I knew you were searching for him. I didn't want to interfere until you found him. Just in case you think you were really smart, young man, we intercepted four street thugs and two known sex offenders who were after you."

Sister Carlotta

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”