Stuck whith my sister and no escape!

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.
nowa0066
Launchie
Launchie

Stuck whith my sister and no escape!

Postby nowa0066 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:41 pm

I have only read EG, but it didn't seem right that Val and Ender would leave Eros and 11 years later in the new colony they were still together and neither of them had a husband or wife. At the end of the story they were going to get in a space ship together and fly around to other planets. For me a couple days around my sister would be enough and after that monthly visits with the family.
It sounds like the government was involved in their creation. Was it the fact that they weren't a normal brother and sister that caused them to want to never be without each other?

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:15 pm

They were a "normal" brother and sister. The only part the government played in their creation was requesting that they be born because Peter yielded some good results, and in Val's case they requested that she be a girl. In the time of EG it's obviously possible to choose the gender of a child.

As for why they're so close, there's a number of possible reasons. They were united by their fear and hatred of Peter when they were young. Ender really didn't have anyone else who mattered to him besides Val. He thought that his parents didn't want him and that Peter hated him. Plus, they were separated for several years while Ender was attending battle school.

I don't want to spoil anything from later books, but they eventually both establish meaningful relationships with other people.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:40 pm

It sounds like you are quite possibly young, probably in your early to mid teens, and thus have a hard time understanding actually WANTING to have a close relationship with a sibling. Trust me, generally the feelings you have about your siblings change significantly between teenagehood and adulthood.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

nowa0066
Launchie
Launchie

Postby nowa0066 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:15 pm

It sounds like you are quite possibly young, probably in your early to mid teens, and thus have a hard time understanding actually WANTING to have a close relationship with a sibling. Trust me, generally the feelings you have about your siblings change significantly between teenagehood and adulthood.

I find it interesting that you would think I'm young. I'm actually 50 years old finishing up my 3rd degree generals. There were 8 of us in our family, so maybe it’s just natural for me to be happy with occasional visits to my siblings.
PS Thanks for the previous response, also. I may not get around to reading the sequels, so it’s good to know that they go on to develop other relationships.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:31 pm

50? Really? I assumed that you were pretty young too. Your initial post gave me an image of a young boy fighting with his older sister in the back seat of the car on a long family trip.

I don't have a sister, but I do have an older brother and we get along pretty well.

P.S. Welcome to Pweb. :D
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

nowa0066
Launchie
Launchie

Postby nowa0066 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:09 pm

50? Really? I assumed that you were pretty young too. Your initial post gave me an image of a young boy fighting with his older sister in the back seat of the car on a long family trip.

I don't have a sister, but I do have an older brother and we get along pretty well.

P.S. Welcome to Pweb. :D

What made me think the kids were a government project was how intelligent they were compared to their parents. Val and Peter were able to decieve their father into letting them on the internet where at their young ages they were able to manipulate national political opinion. While this is going on their little brother is saving the world. There was little mention of their parents as more than a couple to give them a normal home life in their early years. I've heard of parents like this having one brilliant child, but never three in a row.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:28 pm

You keep on tempting me to spoil things! Let's just say that if you read the Shadow series you'll discover that Mr. & Mrs. Wiggin aren't as oblivious as they seem. There's also a collection of short stories called "First Meetings", which includes a couple stories about them.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”