Better commander in real military, Ender, Bean?

Discuss all things pertaining to the EnderVerse milieu.

Better Earth army commander?

Ender
47%
Bean
53%

Total votes: 36

Pixel
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Pixel » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:26 am

Bean. Like DEK said, Ender's "individual battles" are unrealistic to what real wars are like. Also, thanks to Anton's Key, Bean is indeed the smartest person in the world. Even Ender admit that Bean was the better military strategist, and that Ender's job as a commander was getting to know his soldiers and what their capabilities were, and then trusting them with getting the job done with the orders he gave them.

Ender is all types of smart (like the philosophy and social stuff too,) while Bean is the smartest, and that's almost all focused on military.

se7enknives
Launchie
Launchie

Postby se7enknives » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:01 pm

Ender is the better commander in my opinion. As EG starts we have the battle with Stillson which he wins completely. The use of preventive brutal force is the best strategy i can see in a war, this way you can end a conflict fast and without the loss of many resources, this way you can be ready for the next fight. All of Bean's major battles were taken against Achilles, which he let live when he had the power to kill him, Ender would never have done that mistake. He knew that in war the only true victories are the absolute ones.
If you can't beat them...
Arrange to have them beaten.

Astrum
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Astrum » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:22 pm

Bean may have been very good, but he can't compete with Ender in strategy.
I'm too bored to think of some witty remark to go here. Just imagine there is one and laugh at how funny it is.

Person122
Soldier
Soldier
Location: Sorreledolce (Actually it's USA North America Earth Sol System)

Postby Person122 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:18 pm

I personally would say Bean was better, though there was one trait that Bean was missing, and that was leadership, the ability to know your soldiers and subordinates. Bean was shown in Ender's Shadow to be a bit Naïve and looking into his own stuff rather than trying to befriend his launch group. I also remember that Dap (?) said to Bean something like "what good is it when you know what to do in battle but you don't know how to lead", don't quote me on this.

Overall, Bean was a better commander because he was Genetically Modified, so he should have been better. They even say in Ender's Shadow that Bean was the one who thought of the idea of deploying the Little Doctor in the ships, which likely won the war. Graff and the IF gave Bean the ability to take control of all the human ships in the last battle, lest Ender broke down or was otherwise unable to command as good as Bean. The IF knew Bean was at least as good a commander as Ender and so do I.
"And no one is a better observer of the folkways of the adolescent male than the adolescent female." - Shadow of the Hegemon

"... Some times lies were more dependable than the truth" - Ender's Game

"He [[Locke]] has influence but he doesn't have power"
"In my experience, influence is power"

Orson Scott Card Wiki http://ansible.wikia.com

Tcashon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Tcashon » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:24 pm

I think you are missing the point. Bean was the better strategist because of those genetic enhancements. Ender is and will always be the better commander in my opinion becuase you don't command well without leading well.

It doesn't matter how great your strategies are if you can't get your soldiers to carry them out.

Unless of course, your army consists of robots.....*plot *plot *plot.
Yeah I got a response............er..WHAT?

Person122
Soldier
Soldier
Location: Sorreledolce (Actually it's USA North America Earth Sol System)

Postby Person122 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:32 pm

I meant to say "Strategist" instead of "Commander", actually, and I probably misunderstood the exact meaning of "Commander". Ender was a commander who's subordinates and people he knew loved him much and they continued to for long after he went away; he was a natral leader and commander. So I think Ender and Bean were likely equal, after Bean developed his "People Skills" as described in Ender's Shadow.
"And no one is a better observer of the folkways of the adolescent male than the adolescent female." - Shadow of the Hegemon

"... Some times lies were more dependable than the truth" - Ender's Game

"He [[Locke]] has influence but he doesn't have power"
"In my experience, influence is power"

Orson Scott Card Wiki http://ansible.wikia.com

Tcashon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Tcashon » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:59 pm

Not to be argumentative, but I don't think Bean's "people skills" would ever quite match Ender's. I think Bean's commander experience is described either in SoTH or Shadow Puppets, can't remember which. But in my opinion it described Bean's soldiers as ones who wanted his respect and praise and knew that he would not waste them. I think this falls a little short of the "love" that Ender was able to obtain from his subordinates.

Of course these are all opinions which could be argued endlessly, but I do enjoy seeing other's perspectives on different parts of the series. Especially on events and characterizations.
Yeah I got a response............er..WHAT?

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:30 pm

one of the few things that works quite well is that dynamic between Ender and Bean, two brilliant commanders, one who had the lover of his men and the other who only got their respect. I think you can find that dynamic playing out in a lot of historical generals if you look for it.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Return to “EnderVerse Novels and Stories”