Launchie Barracks

Welcome to Pweb, FAQs, Introductions and Limeaid
Rootersfriend
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 05 May 2013

Re: Launchie Barracks

Postby Rootersfriend » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:29 am

Ho, The name's Sam. I've been mildly (not so mildly) obsessed with the ender universe since I first had EG as required reading in highschool (I think it may have been one of the only summer readings I ever actually did-and boy I'm glad I did). My last girlfriend and I read, and re-read these books over and over, and the more I read them, the more into them I became. She unfortunately passed away in a car accident, but we even had plans for our kids names and everything through these books. Julian Andrew was to be the first kid (assuming a male) and Petra Valentine (if a girl).

Anyways, I've heard all about the PWEB and lurked for a while, but finally felt ready for one of the first times since that jerk drunk driver hit her to get back into this culture and along some like minded people. Thanks for having me :)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:57 pm

Welcome! We are very glad to have you. Please join in and make yourself at home. I'm so sorry to hear about your girlfriend. That must have been awful. :grouphug:
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rootersfriend
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Rootersfriend » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks, yeah it wasn't the best time in my life that's for sure, but life goes on! I'm kind of new to all this stuff so sorry in advance to anyone if I sound like a newb...I guess it's cuz I am!
::Live as a villain, die as a hero::

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:27 pm

no worries we all sound like newbs...lol welcome!! :limeaid: here taste drink and is customary of us here at pweb
Pweb member since 2002

"Remember kids...A smart man knows when...to run like a little bi**h"
-Desert Punk

Rootersfriend
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Rootersfriend » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:25 am

Hah well thanks.

Varelse
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Varelse » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:57 pm

:X
Last edited by Varelse on Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:35 pm

hm... Sarum114 / Serum114? close... too close for coincidence?

I still have to reread at least Ender's Game before the movie comes out... so I can complain competently about how it was different than the book :D I'll probably try to read it this time in either French, Swedish or German though - I've read it far too often in English and it's difficult to get past chapter 5 before I get sidetracked :(
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

Varelse
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Varelse » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:47 pm

Last edited by Varelse on Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:38 am

I have read the prequels and liked them a lot more than I thought I would. Welcome to pweb!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Varelse
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Varelse » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:05 pm

Last edited by Varelse on Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ricxon
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Ricxon » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:04 am

1. I go by the alias Ricxon but when no one is looking I like to play Steam games with the alias Val.
2. My favourite book has to be the Speaker for the Dead. :love: I mean, it's like that book talked to me.
3. Has to be the original Valentine. Might talk more about this later.

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:26 pm

Welcome :limeaid:
Pweb member since 2002

-Desert Punk

JMRamos94
Launchie
Launchie

Postby JMRamos94 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:08 pm

1. My name is John Emmanuel C. Ramos, nickname's JM
2. Ender's Game is my favorite
3. My favorite character/s? ENDER, BEAN AND PETRA!

Demosthene
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Demosthene » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:04 pm

Ho !
My name is Demosthene. You can speek with mee. But be carful. I'm French. I CAN speek in French, and in German, a little in English. I am a fan of Ender. I like him, for his intelligence, and for his humanity. I like Bean "aussi".
Ne l'oubliez pas, la porte ennemie est en bas !
Do not forget the enemy's gate is down !

I put it there waiting to find a more original

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:51 am

JMRamos94 and Demosthene welcome to Pweb here :limeaid: as is customary from us old farts lol
Pweb member since 2002

-Desert Punk

Demosthene
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Demosthene » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:55 pm

You are many people in this forum ? You are 501 doodles.
Ne l'oubliez pas, la porte ennemie est en bas !
Do not forget the enemy's gate is down !

I put it there waiting to find a more original

FFPhilly
Launchie
Launchie

Postby FFPhilly » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:01 pm

Ho!

I go by Philly or Phil. I just finished Shadows In Flight. I definitely chose Bean as my fav char. As for fav book I would say Ender's Shadow. Just because it gives more insight to what was happening during Battle School. I look forward to discussions and meeting more fans of the Enderverse. :D
Life is empty. Life is worthless. When we take a life, we aren't taking anything of value. -Durzo Blint, The Way of the Shadows

Relume
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Relume » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:37 pm

Ho,

My name is Kyle. Relume is my alter ego, the name I use on pretty much anything that needs a username that isn't professional. I love the series so far I'm about halfway through Children Of The Mind and plan to read the Ender's Shadow series after. I can't describe in words how much I love these books. It was hard to say what book I like the most but from the first 3 I'd say xenocide because of Jane. Jane is my favorite character in this book because of her vast knowledge and how her levels of attention are described by OSC. Ender too is one of my favorites for his understanding. How he can truly understand a person by loving them through their eyes. He can see past the steriotypes and not only understand but to love a person for their strengths and also their flaws.

Side note: I saw Enders Game the movie before I read the book and I like the movie overall but I hated that they depicted Ender as being so much older in the movie than he ever was in the book. Understandable though considering how many people ridiculed OSC for saying a child so young is capable of accomplishing things that Ender did. To those people I say I'm sorry you don't remember the innocence and intelligence that came with that youth.

El Excavador
Launchie
Launchie

Postby El Excavador » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:29 am

Hey guys, im reporting, I'm from Chile, The first formic war trilogy are my favorites books (earth unaware, earth afire, earth awakens) and my favorite character is Victor Delgado, not only because he's southamerican, but also because he reminds me of ender.

With my nickname I tried to honor the crew form el cavador, and its also how I would name my ship, inspired with the technology of copper mining.

Jahmez
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Jahmez » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:50 pm

My name is Jahmez and I just joined the ranks. My real name is James Snyder I come from Minneapolis, Minnesota.
My favorite book(s) are Enders Game, which started it all and my journey, and Battle School was a great story of youth, conflict, military training and Ender's genius. I also really like Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide, which takes us to other planets and other cultures and other beings, the piggies unique biosphere and culture, and all the characters and issues involved in both books.

JeffHuang
Launchie
Launchie

Postby JeffHuang » Thu May 25, 2017 4:27 pm

Can anyone create the game described here? It seems simple enough.

"Some of the games they knew; some they had even played at home. Simple ones and
hard ones. Ender walked past the two-dimensional games on video and began to study the
games the bigger boys played, the holographic games with objects hovering in the air. He
was the only Launchy in that part of the room, and every now and then one of the bigger
boys would shove him out of the way. What're you doing here? Get lost. Fly off. And of
course he would fly, in the lower gravity here, leave his feet and soar until he ran into
something or someone.

Every time, though, he extricated himself and went back, perhaps to a different spot, to
get a different angle on the game. He was too small to see the controls, how the game was
actually done. That didn't matter. He got the movement of it in the air. The way the
player dug tunnels in the darkness, tunnels of light, which the enemy ships would search
for and then follow mercilessly until they caught the player's ship. The player could make
traps: mines, drifting bombs, loops in the air that forced the enemy ships to repeat
endlessly. Some of the players were clever. Others lost quickly.

Ender liked it better, though, when two boys played against each other. Then they had to
use each other's tunnels, and it quickly became clear which of them were worth anything
at the strategy of it.

Within an hour or so, it began to pall. Ender understood the regularities by then.
Understood the rules the computer was following, so that he knew he could always, once
he mastered the controls, outmaneuver the enemy. Spirals when the enemy was like this;
loops when the enemy was like that. Lie in wait at one trap. Lay seven traps and then lure
them like this. There was no challenge to it, then, just a matter of playing until the
computer got so fast that no human reflexes could overcome it. That wasn't fun. It was
the other boys he wanted to play. The boys who had been so trained by the computer that
even when they played against each other they each tried to emulate the computer. Think
like a machine instead of a boy. "

Ender's_Disciple
Launchie
Launchie
First Joined: 22 Oct 2017

Postby Ender's_Disciple » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:50 am

Hey, everyone! This is my first group I've joined, even though I've heard of PWEB before, and have wanted to join before. I've been obsessed with this series since I was seven, and have tried to collect all of the books in the five years since. Any conversation would be appreciated.
"He signed it, as he had signed the others, Speaker for the Dead"

Ender's_Disciple
Launchie
Launchie
First Joined: 22 Oct 2017

Postby Ender's_Disciple » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:38 am

Hey, everyone! I am a recently joined Launchie, and I'm looking for someone to talk to about the books. My name is Noah, I'm 13, and my favorite book in ES is "Ender's Game". Might as well go with the classics.
"He signed it, as he had signed the others, Speaker for the Dead"

Return to “The Foyer: Welcome to The Philotic Web Community!”