Launchie Barracks

Welcome to Pweb, FAQs, Introductions and Limeaid
Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Launchie Barracks

Postby Tiny genius » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:43 pm

Hey! If you want to get used to the system without making fatal mistakes or just get your post count up for a promotion without trolling/spamming anyone, chat with other Launchies right here!

Introduction to you...
1. Name/nickname?
2. Favourite ES book?
3 Favourite ES character?
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Re: Launchie Barracks

Postby Tiny genius » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:41 pm

Am I the only Launchie left in this place?
"Other universes may exist, but ours seems to be based on war and games" - William S. Burroughs

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:00 am

There are probably a few around, but calling them out seems to scare them away!

Ope, I'm not supposed to be in here, I suppose.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:41 pm

Naw, you're definitely not the only one, genius. Or tiny. :)

I've seen some others crawling around the place. :D
Pweb member since 2000

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:22 am

Away with you both! I want to be able to consider the the fact that I'm a sadistic, maladaptive, antisocial, OCD, grandiose schizoid in privacy. They're all the negative seeming aspects of my personality from this test I took. There are positive ones like empathy but not a lot of them and some weren't even interpretable.

Weird but I'm not going to put to much into it.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:29 pm

Yay!! I have my own avatar now. I wish that the site had told me .bmp files weren't allowed.
Oh well, it's .jpg now and it's working.

Crazy Sam
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Crazy Sam » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Ho Pweb.
my name is Sam much like my ID says. I absolutely love this series. I'm extremely pumped that they are making the movie although I'm worried about the story and what not. My favorite book is Enders Game (I'm in the process of memorizing it (though I haven't gotten too far)). I would like it if somehow OSC built more on the Ender-Julien relationship. For being one of the biggest in the series it seems it's lacking in detail. Anyways post 1 completed.

Boothby
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Battle School Engineer

Postby Boothby » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:05 pm

Welcome on board, Sam. Welcome on board!
--Boothby

"The biggest cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid people are so sure about things and the intelligent folks are so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:24 am

Ho Sam and welcome.
I agree that there should be more details about the relationship between Ender and Bean. I identify strongly with both because I was isolated by my own abilities in primary school (and my modesty of course :) ) but I identify with Bean not only with intelligence and stature but also his views on life.
As for memorising, wow!

I accidentally memorize large parts of the books just by repeated listening but I've rarely thought of doing it deliberately. When I am bored however I do recite parts of it (or pi) to myself to pass the time.

Hope to chat more, Tiny.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:56 am

This is post #50. As far as I can remember that means I'll be a soldier when it is done. I created this place as a Launchie for Launchies and so I think it is only fitting that this shall be where I put my last Launchie post. Be a soldier!
Seya Launchie Barracks.

AbsolveXenocide
Launchie
Launchie

Postby AbsolveXenocide » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:30 pm

I'm AbsolveXenocide (or Ryan, if you prefer)--college student looking to go into fundraising or student affairs somewhere, at some point.

Ender's Game, Shadow of the Hegemon, and Speaker for the Dead are among my favorites. Xenocide and Shadow Puppets are probably my two least favorite (for very different reasons). SP is so empty (other than Achilles demise) and Xenocide is so heavy with philosophy that it tires me.

Favorite characters: Ender, of course. Bean, Petra, and even the Wiggin parents (the way they "poke the bear" with Peter is thoroughly enjoyable).

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:06 pm

Xenocide is a very polarizing book. I fall into the camp of those who love it. It's my favorite of the Speaker trilogy. I love the Path storyline. CotM is actually my least favorite of those. And I much prefer the Speaker series to the Shadow one.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:17 pm

Welcome to Pweb, Ryan!

I think I may be the only person in the world who actually liked Shadow Puppets... Alas.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

AbsolveXenocide
Launchie
Launchie

Postby AbsolveXenocide » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:23 pm

Xenocide is a very polarizing book. I fall into the camp of those who love it. It's my favorite of the Speaker trilogy. I love the Path storyline. CotM is actually my least favorite of those. And I much prefer the Speaker series to the Shadow one.
That's a wonderful xkcd. The Path storyline reminds me so much of The Crucible, a book I despised for people making no sense as they did awful things in the name of religion. Qing-jao is driving me mad. It also helps that it's been long enough since last read that it's like a new story again. I'll keep that in mind as I get to CotM--I don't remember a thing from it.
Last edited by AbsolveXenocide on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:59 am

I'll have to re-read SP again because I seem to have forgotten its emptiness. But I found the whole Shadow series enjoyable and read it more than the Speaker Trilogy because I seem to get through it more easily. The Speaker Trilogy is great but is a little harder to keep re-reading than the Shadow books.

Am I also to understand that the 'Crucible' mentioned is the one about the Salem (that's probably spelled wrong) witch-hunt? If so, I've read it and liked it.

JohnPaulWiggin
Launchie
Launchie
First Joined: 06 Aug 2012

Postby JohnPaulWiggin » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:55 am

I agree the Shadow series is a much faster/easier read, but I don't know if thats necessarily good or bad. Choosing between the series is pretty much impossible, I love them both. By their nature, the Shadow series is much more exciting and fast paced, but the Speaker series is so powerful and has much more depth I would say.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:31 pm

Yeah, it is rather hard to choose between so I usually alternate. I just came back here to see if anything had changed, by the way and so welcome to Pweb, JP. I'd offer you limeaid, only I can't, sorry.

But yeah, I think that the action/depth is the obvious segregation between and I think what draws the younger readers more towards Shadow.

JohnPaulWiggin
Launchie
Launchie

Postby JohnPaulWiggin » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:24 am

The other thing I like about the Shadow series is that it can almost read like historical fiction or "what-if history" it is much less sci-fi and much more plausible. But maybe I'm just drawn to that because I'm a history major. The Ender series caters to a much different set of academic disciplines. While I maintain they are just as enjoyable, it is understandable that they would draw slightly different audiences.

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:45 am

Agreed. Do you think that the lesser sci-fiishness of the Shadow series is more because of the way it was written, the storyline itself or the 3000 year gap?

JohnPaulWiggin
Launchie
Launchie

Postby JohnPaulWiggin » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:08 am

Probably all of the above. Enders Game/Shadow and the Shadow series take place in the not-too-distant future, so the technology gap between theirs and our own isn't that big. OSC does a great job of explaining the new technologies that make these books possible and even plausible. It also (the Shadow series) takes place on Earth so the advanced space technology isn't really involved. And whether you want to include this in "story line" or "writing style" I think OSC made a very conscious decision for this series to be a slightly different genre, if you will, than what you find in the Ender series. It is perhaps an interesting case study that two series of books that are so different manage to hold a common audience because of their common characters and origin story.

Dem0sthenes
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Dem0sthenes » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:48 am

Hey everyone, my name's Brenna. My favourite is Ender's Shadow, and I also really liked Shadow of the Hegemon. Even though my name is Demosthenes I love Bean and Alai. I'm also really happy with the casting of these two characters in the movie :D
Poke gave him life. Ender gave it meaning.

JohnPaulWiggin
Launchie
Launchie

Postby JohnPaulWiggin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:01 am

Welcome Brenna! I'm probably one of the newest members besides yourself :wave:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Welcome to Pweb, Brenna! I hope you stick around and get to know us and let us get to know you. :)
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Srobison825
Launchie
Launchie
First Joined: 27 Sep 2012

Postby Srobison825 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:19 pm

I'm Sierra!
I was first introduced to the books when was 11 (13 yrs ago...do the math) by the son of my Sunday school teacher who was mentoring me in the noble practice of the clarinet :p
He was about the same age I am now, but it wasnt until a few years later that I read any of the other books. I branched off into the shadow series, but only read the first two. That was 8 years ago. I've read, and re read enders game, but I never even knew the other books existed until the last few months. I've read the shadow series up through shadow of the giant, and the Enders series through children of the mind...still working on the rest.

Needless to say, my husband remains frustrated with the constant charges to his debit card on amazon for the kindle versions. :p

I'd buy the prints but I can sneak and read at work in my phone...so....
Yeah. :)
One mind can think only of its own questions; it rarely surprises itself. -Bean, ES

Srobison825
Launchie
Launchie
First Joined: 27 Sep 2012

Postby Srobison825 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:22 pm

[quote= I'd offer you limeaid, only I can't, sorry.[/quote]

Eff that. I'm out. I came for the limeade... :p
One mind can think only of its own questions; it rarely surprises itself. -Bean, ES

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:40 pm

You'll have to guilt one of the Canadians into handing it out. It's their special treat for us Yanks.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:08 am

I'm here to give limeade to all.. All the new kids Welcome to pweb and some for you oldies too.
:limeaid:
Sorry I've been slacking

Corelulos
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Corelulos » Mon May 06, 2013 6:21 am

Hmm the limeaid tasted a little old. Still, it was tasty.
I think my favorite of the series was the Speaker series. I really liked the Luisitania episode and the concepts revealed about the interconnectedness of all things. OSC has some very interesting concepts that I enjoyed reading. I really like what I have read and seen about the upcoming movie too. Ford as Graff seems perfect actually. Gonna be a long six months though. I hope the movie proves to be the next Star Wars/ Matrix success. I would really love to see movie versions of more of the books.

Rayne
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Rayne » Sun May 19, 2013 11:42 pm

Ho, the name is Rayne I am a long time lurker and a new addition to the Philotic Web. I joined on the day that the trailer was released, and I am happy to be here. I am a 23 year old girl who has loved the Ender Universe for years, beyond happy the movie is finally happening. I will always say that Ender's Game is my favorite book in the series, because it is the book that made this world possible. I can't pick just one favorite character it's just not possible. I love Ender, Dink, Petra, and Valentine.

Thank you Orson Scott Card for bringing this book to all of us. And to you all, please feel free to talk to me I am a very open friendly person, and always remember. The Enemy's Gate Is Down.

Rayne out.
Last edited by Rayne on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon May 20, 2013 8:04 am

Welcome Rayne! Glad to have you. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Tiny genius
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Tiny genius » Tue May 21, 2013 8:11 am

Yah 'tis down. I'm wearing my "Remember: The Enemy's Gate is Down" t-shirt to the midnight screening (hooray for Aussie time beating American!). I too respond, without hesitation, "Ender's Game" to any questions pertaining to good books or my favourite. Welcome aboard, Rayne.

Vitaly Kolmogorov
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Vitaly Kolmogorov » Fri May 24, 2013 4:08 pm

Ho! Vitaly Here, Im new to PWEB but i've been shooting through the books after reading EG for the umpteenth time i was running out of time to READ so I started audibleing them, and have since been able to blow through 4ish more in the series. I'm stoked to be here and expect to add the EGuniverse to my cache of heavy Fandoms!

Vitaly Kolmogorov
GovAct%ShakespeareCol@colmin.gov :stamp:
Vitaly Kolmogorov
GovAct%ShakespeareCol@colmin.gov :stamp:

Rayne
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Rayne » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:42 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome you guys, it's super awesome. I am just happy to be here I've been lurking around for a really long time, but never could talk myself into joining hahaha. Just excited for the movie, and hoping that the EG Universe will continue to grow big and strong :D

And Welcome to you as well Vitaly! Glad to have you here :D

TerresaWiggin
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby TerresaWiggin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:30 am

Welcome to both of you Rayne and Vitaly. :grouphug:
"when a school counselor called her in to tell her that the school administration was growing concerned about the fact that Petra seemed to be associating with the antisocial element in the school, she knew that she was truly at home in Maralik."

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:12 am

Welcome on behave of the Canadian Alliance, here :limeaid: enjoy a taste drink!! :stamp:
Pweb member since 2002

"Remember kids...A smart man knows when...to run like a little bi**h"
-Desert Punk

Return to “The Foyer: Welcome to The Philotic Web Community!”