Hi!!

Welcome to Pweb, FAQs, Introductions and Limeaid
User avatar
Yoshimi
Launchie
Launchie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:42 am
Location: ZION
Contact:

Hi!!

Postby Yoshimi » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:45 am

Hello, I just joined and would like to introduce myself and also find out a little more about this community.

I am of course an Ender fan and have also enjoyed many of Orson Scott Card's Novels. I love his writing style especially the way he uses science fiction and historical fiction to evaluate and postulate on human nature then juxtaposes that with the idea of human nature observed by non-humans.

I have only read the quatrain of the original Ender Saga and have also enjoyed his Women of the Old Testament series. Currently I am re-reading the Ender Saga aloud with my boyfriend so of course my mind somehow wandered to the IMDB forum on the supposedly upcoming Ender movie and eventually to here.


I have not had much time to read many topics but I can see there is a lot of content and seemingly insightful members. I hope this is an active community with daily visitors because this forum looks pretty cool. Now, what do I need to know about you all?

User avatar
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 5185
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:30 pm
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: February 4th, 2002
Location: ^ Geez, read the sign.
Contact:

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:55 am

Welcome! *offers lime-aide*

Stick around, we're a weird bunch, but we're not a bad sort. ;)
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

User avatar
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Posts: 7829
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:32 pm
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Re: Hi!!

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:26 am

Nice to meet you and welcome. :)

Yoshimi wrote:I have not had much time to read many topics but I can see there is a lot of content and seemingly insightful members. I hope this is an active community with daily visitors because this forum looks pretty cool.


As far as active with daily visitors? Yes. Active in the Ender discussions on any sort of regular basis? Not as such.

The busiest part of our little forum is now Milagre Town Square, which is about all sorts of things, most of which are not at all related to EG. This place has been around for 11 years now, with members being around for that long to members being around for much less time.

However, I hope you look around and decide to stay, anyway.


Now, what do I need to know about you all?


Such a big question. Narrow that down and I'll be happy to answer.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

User avatar
Yoshimi
Launchie
Launchie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:42 am
Location: ZION
Contact:

Postby Yoshimi » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:40 am

Eaquae Legit wrote:Welcome! *offers lime-aide*

Stick around, we're a weird bunch, but we're not a bad sort. ;)


Wow! Thank You! Its amazing how you offered me one of my top favorite drinks of all time. I will attempt to stay as I somehow find myself running out of things to do on the internet frequently... how is this possible?

User avatar
Yoshimi
Launchie
Launchie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:42 am
Location: ZION
Contact:

Re: Hi!!

Postby Yoshimi » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:43 am

Gravity Defier wrote:Nice to meet you and welcome. :)

Yoshimi wrote:I have not had much time to read many topics but I can see there is a lot of content and seemingly insightful members. I hope this is an active community with daily visitors because this forum looks pretty cool.


As far as active with daily visitors? Yes. Active in the Ender discussions on any sort of regular basis? Not as such.

The busiest part of our little forum is now Milagre Town Square, which is about all sorts of things, most of which are not at all related to EG. This place has been around for 11 years now, with members being around for that long to members being around for much less time.

However, I hope you look around and decide to stay, anyway.


Now, what do I need to know about you all?


Such a big question. Narrow that down and I'll be happy to answer.


Oh I assumed it was not ALL about Ender's Game, theres only so much you can say about a book especially if you are talking to people who all love it. I think this forum looks interesting because there are not many who are interested in the subject matter of his books as I am. It amazes me how much he focuses on liberal arts while being a conservative mormon.

Anyway, point is it seems as if like minded individuals may be here and I hope to have some excellent interchanges with you all.

User avatar
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Posts: 7829
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:32 pm
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Re: Hi!!

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:52 am

Yoshimi wrote:It amazes me how much he focuses on liberal arts while being a conservative mormon.



Oh boy; keep reading. His newer books tend to be very heavy-handed in the conservative beliefs. He's brought his own politics into the newer stuff enough that you'll actually find most posters here, who are yet again being uber-shy with the introductions, have been turned off to OSC to varying degrees.

Anyway, point is it seems as if like minded individuals may be here and I hope to have some excellent interchanges with you all.


A shared hope, then. :)
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

User avatar
neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Posts: 2513
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:26 pm
Title: Huey Revolutionary
Location: Canada

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:00 am

Welcome.

I hope you like it here and decide to stick around. Don't be afraid to jump right in and speak your mind about anything you'd like.

:D
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

User avatar
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 4441
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:49 pm
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: July 1st, 2000
Location: Albany, NY

Postby Luet » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:01 am

Hello and welcome! Most of us originally came due to a shared love of EG or OSC books but stuck around due to a love of the people here at pweb. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

User avatar
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 5185
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:30 pm
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: February 4th, 2002
Location: ^ Geez, read the sign.
Contact:

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:04 pm

Yoshimi wrote:
Eaquae Legit wrote:Welcome! *offers lime-aide*

Stick around, we're a weird bunch, but we're not a bad sort. ;)


Wow! Thank You! Its amazing how you offered me one of my top favorite drinks of all time. I will attempt to stay as I somehow find myself running out of things to do on the internet frequently... how is this possible?


*laughter* Good guess! I think you'll fit in fine here, limeaide is the traditional drink of pweb. :)
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

User avatar
Yoshimi
Launchie
Launchie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:42 am
Location: ZION
Contact:

Postby Yoshimi » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:15 pm

Image

User avatar
Yoshimi
Launchie
Launchie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:42 am
Location: ZION
Contact:

Re: Hi!!

Postby Yoshimi » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:33 pm

Gravity Defier wrote:
Yoshimi wrote:It amazes me how much he focuses on liberal arts while being a conservative mormon.



Oh boy; keep reading. His newer books tend to be very heavy-handed in the conservative beliefs. He's brought his own politics into the newer stuff enough that you'll actually find most posters here, who are yet again being uber-shy with the introductions, have been turned off to OSC to varying degrees.


I actually was wondering about that when I signed up here. I am an ex-mormon and really only discovered OSC due to his popularity among all my mormon friends and wasn't sure if thats the same crowd I would find here. I don't know many people that know of OSC that are not mormon but thats probably because I live in Utah.
Last edited by Yoshimi on Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mich
Commander
Commander
Posts: 2937
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:58 am
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: April 2nd, 2002
Location: Land o' Ports
Contact:

Postby Mich » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:12 pm

Oh hey! Welcome to P-Web. Everything looks like it's been taken care of by everyone else in this thread.

I assume you battle giant pink robots?
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

User avatar
Yoshimi
Launchie
Launchie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:42 am
Location: ZION
Contact:

Postby Yoshimi » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:24 pm

Mich wrote:Oh hey! Welcome to P-Web. Everything looks like it's been taken care of by everyone else in this thread.

I assume you battle giant pink robots?


Oh I could hug you for knowing that reference. Yes The Flaming Lips is my all-time favorite band.

User avatar
Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 2418
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:48 pm
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: March 16th, 2004
Location: Singing on Krikkit.
Contact:

Postby Petra456 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:47 pm

Welcome!

I feel much safer now because you won't let those robots eat me : )
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

User avatar
Mich
Commander
Commander
Posts: 2937
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:58 am
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: April 2nd, 2002
Location: Land o' Ports
Contact:

Postby Mich » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:31 am

The test begins...s.s.s.s...

Now.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

User avatar
neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Posts: 2513
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:26 pm
Title: Huey Revolutionary
Location: Canada

Re: Hi!!

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:26 am

Gravity Defier wrote:
Yoshimi wrote:It amazes me how much he focuses on liberal arts while being a conservative mormon.



Oh boy; keep reading. His newer books tend to be very heavy-handed in the conservative beliefs. He's brought his own politics into the newer stuff enough that you'll actually find most posters here, who are yet again being uber-shy with the introductions, have been turned off to OSC to varying degrees.



His latest novels, "Pathfinder" and "The Lost Gate" (which I'm only a third of the way into, so please, no spoilers) are pretty devoid of preaching and real-world politics. Actually, I have yet to read an OSC book that I haven't enjoyed. Of course, that's probably because I don't read the ones that sound uninteresting (ie. "Empire")
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."

- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

User avatar
steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 2452
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:36 pm
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000
Location: colorado, baby!
Contact:

Re: Hi!!

Postby steph » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:33 am

Yoshimi wrote:I actually was wondering about that when I signed up here. I am an ex-mormon and really only discovered OSC due to his popularity among all my mormon friends and wasn't sure if thats the same crowd I would find here. I don't know many people that know of OSC that are not mormon but thats probably because I live in Utah.


Not many mormons around here. I'm pretty much the only one. Well, there is someone else, but I never remember who.

(And yes, it is because you live in Utah!)
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

User avatar
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 5185
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:30 pm
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: February 4th, 2002
Location: ^ Geez, read the sign.
Contact:

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:43 am

We're all pretty friendly around here - religious discussions are encouraged but proselytizing and being rude are kill evil banned. It makes for some good relations all around. :)

Do poke your head into Milagre and say hi, that's where most of the socialising happens.

As for me, I'm a medieval studies PhD student, mom-to-be, all-round nerd, and I like fruit, pizza, sushi, and a lot of foods. I'm a taurus but I don't care, and I still cuddle a teddy bear at night. Now you've met me! Hello!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 2048
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:43 pm
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: January 10th, 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:06 pm

Eaquae Legit wrote:As for me, I'm a medieval studies PhD student, mom-to-be, all-round nerd, and I like fruit, pizza, sushi, and a lot of foods. I'm a taurus but I don't care, and I still cuddle a teddy bear at night. Now you've met me! Hello!


Does poor Rei not get any cuddling?


Welcome to Pweb, Yoshimi!
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

User avatar
Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 2214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:59 pm
Title: Ozymandias

Re: Hi!!

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:07 pm

Gravity Defier wrote:Oh boy; keep reading. His newer books tend to be very heavy-handed in the conservative beliefs. He's brought his own politics into the newer stuff enough that you'll actually find most posters here, who are yet again being uber-shy with the introductions, have been turned off to OSC to varying degrees.

I've found this to be more of a self-fulfilling prophecy than anything else, but maybe that's just me.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

User avatar
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 5185
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:30 pm
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: February 4th, 2002
Location: ^ Geez, read the sign.
Contact:

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:11 pm

LilBee91 wrote:Does poor Rei not get any cuddling?


Of course, but he can only be to one side of me at a time! I seem to remember talking about this in a thread somewhere, lol. He also has a bear, so neither of us can be jealous, regardless. ;)
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

User avatar
steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 2452
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:36 pm
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000
Location: colorado, baby!
Contact:

Postby steph » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:05 pm

I sleep with a bear and Brian sleeps with a bunny. :D
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,

I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

User avatar
Yoshimi
Launchie
Launchie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:42 am
Location: ZION
Contact:

Postby Yoshimi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:14 pm

Eaquae Legit wrote:We're all pretty friendly around here - religious discussions are encouraged but proselytizing and being rude are kill evil banned. It makes for some good relations all around. :)

Do poke your head into Milagre and say hi, that's where most of the socialising happens.

As for me, I'm a medieval studies PhD student, mom-to-be, all-round nerd, and I like fruit, pizza, sushi, and a lot of foods. I'm a taurus but I don't care, and I still cuddle a teddy bear at night. Now you've met me! Hello!


Oooo! Medieval Studies, I may just drill you about that stuff in the future, I gotta love knowing people with expertise in obscure fields.

Thank you very much for the lovely introduction, to express my gratitude here's a fruit pizza:

Image

User avatar
Yoshimi
Launchie
Launchie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:42 am
Location: ZION
Contact:

Postby Yoshimi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:25 pm

steph wrote:
Not many mormons around here. I'm pretty much the only one. Well, there is someone else, but I never remember who.

(And yes, it is because you live in Utah!)


A-Ha! Well you can take comfort in knowing that there is another that is very familiar with the theology if you ever need a talking point confirmed :P I AM a seminary graduate after-all.


LilBee91 wrote:Welcome to Pweb, Yoshimi!



THANKS


Petra456 wrote:Welcome!

I feel much safer now because you won't let those robots eat me : )


*Stands at guard* Thanks, and your welcome.

I will be trying to make my way to Milagre soon, just having trouble sorting out whats going on in there what with all of the threads being so long. Its taken me awhile just to read through most.

User avatar
steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Posts: 2452
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:36 pm
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000
Location: colorado, baby!
Contact:

Postby steph » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:36 pm

Yoshimi wrote:
steph wrote:
Not many mormons around here. I'm pretty much the only one. Well, there is someone else, but I never remember who.

(And yes, it is because you live in Utah!)


A-Ha! Well you can take comfort in knowing that there is another that is very familiar with the theology if you ever need a talking point confirmed :P I AM a seminary graduate after-all.


Aww, how thoughtful! Although, my seminary graduation counts more since I had Early Morning Seminary! :P

Dive into Milagre, since it really is the happening place to be and the heart of our community. It's ok if you don't read everything....we do have quite a history. Just join us and contribute to the future. You'll fit in just fine, especially if you're handing out fruit pizzas!
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,

I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

User avatar
Yoshimi
Launchie
Launchie
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:42 am
Location: ZION
Contact:

Postby Yoshimi » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:42 pm

steph wrote:
Yoshimi wrote:
steph wrote:
Not many mormons around here. I'm pretty much the only one. Well, there is someone else, but I never remember who.

(And yes, it is because you live in Utah!)


A-Ha! Well you can take comfort in knowing that there is another that is very familiar with the theology if you ever need a talking point confirmed :P I AM a seminary graduate after-all.


Aww, how thoughtful! Although, my seminary graduation counts more since I had Early Morning Seminary! :P

Dive into Milagre, since it really is the happening place to be and the heart of our community. It's ok if you don't read everything....we do have quite a history. Just join us and contribute to the future. You'll fit in just fine, especially if you're handing out fruit pizzas!


You actually have a real point there, in fact it was a miracle in itself I graduated seminary as I attended maybe half of my classes. Instead I was enjoying the released hour for less virtuous activities. ha, which actually just means wandering around the mall or sleeping at home or maybe taking an extended lunch.

User avatar
Mich
Commander
Commander
Posts: 2937
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:58 am
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: April 2nd, 2002
Location: Land o' Ports
Contact:

Re: Hi!!

Postby Mich » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:58 am

steph wrote:Not many mormons around here. I'm pretty much the only one. Well, there is someone else, but I never remember who.

Taal! Taal is Mormon. Isn't Taal Mormon? I've always been under the impression that Taal is Mormon.

Not that me repeating this over and over means much: you almost never see him.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

User avatar
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Posts: 4441
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:49 pm
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: July 1st, 2000
Location: Albany, NY

Postby Luet » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:29 pm

Yes, he is now. Although, he wasn't when he first started pweb and was most active (and when he and another pwebber had a little thing for each other ;)).
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

User avatar
GS
Soldier
Soldier
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:55 am
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: February 2nd, 1922

Postby GS » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:55 am

Welcome to Pweb!

I agree with Steph. You just have to dive into Milagre. Most of the longer threads you can pick up by reading the very fist post and jumping in. So long as you are not a complete Asshat (and it doesn't appear you are), you will be just fine over there.

User avatar
bottom
Launchie
Launchie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:30 am

Postby bottom » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:48 am

GS wrote:So long as you are not a complete Asshat

Aww, man.
I have had a dream, past the wit of man to say what dream it was.


Return to “The Foyer: Welcome to The Philotic Web Community!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests