Rare art from "Calvin and Hobbes" artist Bill Watt

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Rare art from "Calvin and Hobbes" artist Bill Watt

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:00 am

I had a blast today poking through these.

I especially liked the college strips (being an eternal student), and the ones regarding the cheapening of comic strips. The increasing number of "zombie" strips in the funny pages (Peanuts, BC, Wizard of Id, the weird hybrid FBoFW, etc.) has resulted in less funny funnies, of late.

Plus, the world just can't have enough authentic Bill Watterson.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:53 am

This is awesome and you are an awesome person for telling me about it. You deserve an awesome star.

I never thought I'd see a political cartoon done by Bill Watterson (except maybe anti-syndicate ones), nor did I ever want to. Seeing them now has not made me like him any less as I thought it might, so yay. It's also interesting to see similarities between some nameless characters in these and ones that we've been so familiar with for so many years. And the college strips are just plain quality, as one would expect from Watterson.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Violet
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Violet » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:03 pm

I agree, the awesome star was well earned.
~Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!~

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Re: Rare art from "Calvin and Hobbes" artist Bill

Postby zeroguy » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:31 am

Meant to mention this before, but forgot:
The increasing number of "zombie" strips in the funny pages (Peanuts, BC, Wizard of Id, the weird hybrid FBoFW, etc.) has resulted in less funny funnies, of late.
And that's why you read webcomics instead.

Have you ever read any of his essays on the declining quality of comics? The on in the tenth anniversary book (sitting next to me) was good, as I recall. And he was even talking about back when C&H was still active; today I can only imagine it's much worse.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:36 am

I have a long and ever-growing list of webcomics I read. As well as a bookmark for the Comics Curmudgeon website.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Return to “Milagre Town Square”