Student Press censorship

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
shadow-petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Totoro To-to-ro

Student Press censorship

Postby shadow-petra » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:20 pm

So I'm editor-in-chief of my school's yearbook, and my advisor(aka The Devil) pops up with the idea of getting rid of a couple superlatives a couple of days before deadline. So she's bringing the list of superlatives to the principal to have him check off what's good/bad. There are some things wrong with this:

1) Those superlatives have been in past yearbooks for at least a decade

2) It's already been decided and spread have been laid out

3) We're trying to make the yearbook less controversial as possible, and she's just adding to it

4) Seniors every year have told us they order the yearbooks just because of the superlatives

The idea of all of this is plain ridiculous so my co and I are going to find a day to meet with the principal.

I've already been to Student Press Law Center, and found Hazelwood vs. Kuhlmeier. Anyone a lawyer or whoever want to give me a couple of tips for a really good counter attack?

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:22 pm

What are "superlatives"?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

shadow-petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby shadow-petra » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:25 pm

Senior Superlatives is when the senior class votes for someone within the class for a category, such as:
loudest
kindest
best friends
Most likeley to fall asleep in class
Best hair
Best Personality

Kinda stupid, but it's the most looked forward thing in the yearbooks, even if you're not a senior

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:38 pm

Unless you know you'll never win because it's a popularity contest and you're not popular. Unless you win one of the "joke" categories, like "Most likely to commit a school shooting."

Honestly, I don't see the problem with getting rid of "a few" of them, if most are being left alone. Some of these things can be very hurtful, unintentionally and even just by exclusion, and maybe your advisor is sensitive to that. It's not like she's asking you to remove them all.

*always hated these "awards"*
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:35 pm

They are very popular tho, I can understand not wanting to leave them out. As long as the people who get nominated don't mind. I got two superlatives even tho I was NOT popular by any means. We did have a fairly small class (180 students), so I guess that makes it easier to get one out of like 20. I got Most Accident Prone (only because of a very public accident that happened at school senior year) and Class Perfectionist...which was fitting.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:17 pm

Unless you know you'll never win because it's a popularity contest and you're not popular. Unless you win one of the "joke" categories, like "Most likely to commit a school shooting."
I don't know if I'd call them the "most looked-forward to thing" in my highschool, I don't think your chances of receiving one have anything to do with how much you like them. But then again, I'm of the opinion that they're all joke categories; some are just more obviously so. I don't care how sexist and "bad" it is to fill in "all of them" for female "worst driver", it's still funny even in concept.

I don't really have a lot to say about the rest of this. High school matters tend to seem like they are a big deal at the time, but later you wonder why the hell you were so adamant about whatever. They tend not to matter at all later on.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Violet
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Violet » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:39 am

I've already been to Student Press Law Center, and found Hazelwood vs. Kuhlmeier. Anyone a lawyer or whoever want to give me a couple of tips for a really good counter attack?
Pffft, "the law", real school yearbook editors kill anyone who would enforce such outrageous censorship. The advisor, the principal, the whole f****** school board if that's what it takes. Ain't no one removing the best hair category, that award is the whole reason why some of them kids actually go to school.

The question is, are you school yearbook editor enough to do what needs to be done?
~Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!~

shadow-petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby shadow-petra » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:05 am

The question is, are you school yearbook editor enough to do what needs to be done?
Of course I am!! We're going to the old yearbook advisor, who's MUCH better, and asking her if she could come back. I despise this advisor, and have fought for everything's she's trying to get rid of, but this is the first time she's going to the principal, and he's kind of a prick. So I need good stuff to say!

Yeah, I guess it kind of a popularity contest, but our school is diverse enough, we got 400/430 sheets, we have very different categories, and we only allow one superlative awarded to a person excluding group categories

Return to “Milagre Town Square”