White people are inherently smarter than blacks?

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:12 pm

... but I've barely been around since you joined. Or are you someone else too?
bc_hornet ... We've had a good many arguments over the years.
Oh. Okay. That makes slightly more sense.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:22 am

What's with everyone changing their names all of a sudden?
The enemy's fly is down.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:36 am

Sudden?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

bc_hornet
Launchie
Launchie

Postby bc_hornet » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:57 am

I call shenanigans, you're Satya.
Not quite, cupcake. ;)

Violet
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Violet » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:34 pm

Satya also had the Sparrohawk log in, that didn't make him Otaku.

Though I suppose it's possible that bc's humour and personality have changed dramatically to be remarkably similar to Satya's since he's been gone, but I'm still calling shenanigans.
~Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!~

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:00 pm

Oh, silly Jebus. Satya doesn't even know who I am, I sincerely doubt he'd try to hijack my username. And, even if he did, it was a banned login (at my request), which means I had to specifically get the mods to unlock it for me.

Ask around. John unlocked me. Alea guessed it right away (not that it was incredibly hard to guess, given my profile information, the "Since joining Pweb" thread, and my overall behavior). Sorry, but I'm back, sweetie.

Violet
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Violet » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:10 pm

Hmmm, I dunno...
Oh, silly Jebus.
If
Satya doesn't even know who I am,
you
I sincerely doubt he'd try to hijack my username.
really
And, even if he did,
were
it was a banned login (at my request),
bc,
which means I had to specifically get the mods to unlock it for me.
you
Ask around. John unlocked me. Alea guessed it right away
would
(not that it was incredibly hard to guess, given my profile information,
the "Since joining Pweb" thread, and my overall behavior).
Sorry, but I'm back, sweetie.
this.
~Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!~

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:14 pm

See, that was kind of my train of thought.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:03 pm

Maybe this thread should be about how white people are more prone to having identity crises. :roll:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:20 pm

Sorry, Paul. (Sorry? That speaks well for him...)

It's Michael/bc_hornet.

He did that quote thing somewhere in the religious board, but beyond that, he talks the same way he always has. I guessed after 2 posts, tops.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:33 pm

Back on topic...

When will people realize that white people ARE inheirantly smarter than blacks. It's a fact that has been proven true time and time again.

White people are smarter than blacks, yet blacks are much more well endowed
Chinese people are smarter than white people, yet the chinese lack in endowment

Hrm, now that I think about it...maybe penis size is indirectly proportionate to intelligence...
...at least that would give me an excuse...
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:10 pm

And then there are those lucky anomalies who have the best of both worlds. :D

daPyr0x
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Firebug

Postby daPyr0x » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:35 pm

yeah, they're called oreos

hrm...perhaps that one's too far?
Stop trying to be perfect. Focus on being you; perfect will come.
"If only I had an enemy bigger than my apathy I could have won"

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:55 pm

One of my students used the term "oreo" in class one day and I had a very knee-jerk, this brings up unpleasant memories from high school sort of reaction to it that ended in me yelling at him and having him call home to quote himself to his parents.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:23 am

Back on topic...

When will people realize that white people ARE inheirantly smarter than blacks. It's a fact that has been proven true time and time again.

White people are smarter than blacks, yet blacks are much more well endowed
Chinese people are smarter than white people, yet the chinese lack in endowment

Hrm, now that I think about it...maybe penis size is indirectly proportionate to intelligence...
...at least that would give me an excuse...
Eh, you don't want to go there. Best retract your statement before the womenfolk poke their heads out of the kitchen to proclaim that their little nubbins grant them supreme intelligence. And we can't have that, now, can we?
The enemy's fly is down.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:02 am

When did we start letting them read?

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:49 am

We have to read the recipes to cook three meals a day for you.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:50 am

Five points for saying "nubbins."
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:31 pm

Five points for saying "nubbins."
Bollocks! Womenfolk should learn to cook from their mothers, not from some kind of book learning. Pfffffft.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:48 pm

This seems as good a place as any to discuss this. So what's the verdict on Black-focused schools?

On the one hand this calls to mind that ugly time of segregation in the States, but on the other hand I think that intentions make all the difference. Black kids do drop out of school in higher numbers than white kids, and I believe that one reason for this is because many black students believe that they simply don't belong. Even in Toronto, one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world, there are surprisingly few black educators. How many black intellectuals are kids exposed to at all?

I'm reminded of something that happened when I was in teacher's college last year. On the last day of one of my 4 week student-teaching sessions, I was saying my good-byes to a grade 10 science class I had been teaching. This particular class was based on what's called a locally developed curriculum, which basically means that the kids had behavioural issues, poor academic skills, or both. After 4 weeks I didn't think that I had made much of an impression on most of them, or even taught them anything that they would remember a week after I was gone. Naturally, I was pretty surprised when a generally apathetic student who happened to be black looked at me and said, "Sir, do you think that they'll hire you here next year, when you're finished teacher's college?" I just shrugged and said that the school had enough science teachers so there probably wouldn't be an opening. I couldn't believe that he actually looked disappointed for a moment and then said with some annoyance, "But there aren't any black ones!" I didn't even know how to respond. I can see how attending a black-focused school could make all the difference in the world to some kids.

However, school is just the beginning, and it's not a black-focused world out there. School is also a place where kids learn how to interact with others, and I don't particularly like the idea of deliberately surrounding students with their "kind" in their formative years. I love the fact that the schools I attended were so very multicultural. I love the fact that if I look at myself and my 4 closest friends from high school, the 5 of us represent 4 different ethnicities. And I especially love the fact that we are all so comfortable with each other and care so little about the colour of each other's skin that we can make incredibly racist jokes in each other's presence and all laugh!

I think that there must be ways to reach out to students of all backgrounds in common schools, rather than give each and every at-risk group their own.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:06 pm

I think that if such a school is done in such a manner as, for example, a Christian school, where the adjectival modifier is just a common point, I think it could be a very good thing. Especially if such a community could strengthen the black community and help its members to feel accepted and a part of society.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:45 pm

But does it really make the students feel like a part of society or just isolate them so they don't have to face it?

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:46 pm

Instead of creating separate schools, I'd be much more in favour of figuring out why there is a lack of black educators, and if the curriculum could be supplemented or changed to be less euro-centric.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:03 pm

But does it really make the students feel like a part of society or just isolate them so they don't have to face it?
I suppose what would be best is if we had some people here who went to Jewish schools, as that is probably the closest to the idea of a black school.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:19 pm

Instead of creating separate schools, I'd be much more in favour of figuring out why there is a lack of black educators, and if the curriculum could be supplemented or changed to be less euro-centric.
That's what I'm thinking. It's easy to make separate schools, but I think that a more effective solution is to figure out how to engage these kids in the schools that they're in now.

Ironically, the relative lack of black teachers is probably both a cause and a symptom of this problem. Teachers tend to be people who were focused on academic success in school. So if few black teachers means that fewer black students are engaged in school, that means that fewer end up becoming teachers themselves.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:10 am

Separate but equal doesn't happen, and it doesn't work. There's too much racism left in the world--the schools would get s*** funding, especially since it seems like the group that they would intend to motivate would be students who are currently unmotivated by school. Most of those in that group are probably poor, which also probably means that their parents are working too hard to make ends meet and are as a whole too uneducated to really advocate for their kids. Follow that to its logical conclusion and officials will get away with s*** funding, because no one's raising a fuss. And it happens--look at the South Bronx.

Beyond that... I don't buy anything anyone says about "the black community." The solution to inherent racism in a society is not to sequester all the kids being discriminated against into their own little school, and the solution is also not to give white kids an excuse not to deal with them. The college I currently attend is less diverse than I'd like, and I know some kids who have never been to school with black kids in their lives. It shows, and it shows in white kids who have been racial minorities in school before (like me). They're just more uncomfortable talking about race, and they're more uncomfortable with black people.

That's not the kind of culture I want.

And if we're comparing it to Jewish schools--well, how integrated are Hassids and Orthodox Jews into the general community?

They're not.

Diverse schools should be our aim, and improving inner city schools should be our aim. If we attack the problem of paltry education at its heart, more lasting and further reaching results are going to occur.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:05 pm

I thought about this thread yesterday when one of my friends was watching That 70's Show. It was the epispde where Fez doesn't get his picture in the yearbook, and blames it on "Whitey." And then re-reading this thread, I got the song "Diverse City" by TobyMac stuck in my head. And I don't mind one bit.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”