Your Favourite TV That No One's Ever Seen

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:45 pm

I only watched the first few episodes of Big Bang Theory and wasn't drawn in, so I gave up on it. For me, The It Crowd blows it away but then again, it's british and only 6 episodes per season so they pack a lot in each one.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:00 pm

I too was totally turned off by the first episode of Big Bang Theory. However, I stuck it out and really, really enjoy it now.

I've been watching The IT Crowd recently (as per your recommendation), and find it to be just slightly inferior to Big Bang Theory, as The IT Crowd is more general comedy while BBT has a much more geek/nerd slant toward their jokes.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:47 pm

Well then, I suppose I should give BBT another shot.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:52 pm

The Season 2 Christmas episode is my favourite of BBT. I laughed till I cried.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:57 pm

I'm just waiting for someone I know (little brother, most likely) to buy season 2 of BBT so I can steal it and watch it. I watched season 1 during the summer of 2008, just before I started Scrubs I want to say, and loved what I saw. Sheldon = awesome
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:06 pm

Love BBT.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:51 am

Alea, i can show you ways and ways to watch BBT XD HQ stuff, trust me
>_>
<_<

Btw, since i live in Spain, and Dexter isn't all that big here, i call Dexter!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:57 am

Alea, i can show you ways and ways to watch BBT XD HQ stuff, trust me
So can my brother. I do not enjoy watching TV online, though. DVD is my favorite way, even more than watching it air for the first time on TV. But thank you for the thought. :)

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:39 am

yeah, there is a charm to see DVDs :D

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:56 am

Started watching Primeval. Dudes totally getting eaten right, left, and centre by time-travelling dinosaurs. I'm not sure what else you can ask for in a tv show.

Edit: And dodos!
Last edited by Eaquae Legit on Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:52 am

We've been watching Fringe, which is hilarious both on purpose and accidentally. Very entertaining.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:38 pm

I've been watching a British show called Being Human about a ghost, a vampire and a werewolf sharing a flat.
It's quite entertaining.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:47 pm

I watched a few eps of Being Human, but I lost interest. Would you say it's worth picking it up again?

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:51 pm

I watched all of Arrested Development in the last week. Possibly the best sitcom ever.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:55 pm

I watched all of Arrested Development in the last week. Possibly the best sitcom ever.
I approve of this message. Also, haven't seen you in a while, Yeb.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:58 pm

I watched a few eps of Being Human, but I lost interest. Would you say it's worth picking it up again?
As long as you don't mind a bit of melodrama.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:13 pm

The two are related. Also I've been busy with orphans and fires. And rescuing one from the other.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:22 pm

Also, haven't seen you in a while, Yeb.
Indeed. That whole "having a life" and "doing heroic things" shtick is garbage. You know we're supposed to be the priority in your life.

Happy to see ya! :D

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:55 am

I watched all of Arrested Development in the last week.
I've just been watching most of it the past week or two, as well. Just finished the 3rd season today; I now get the context of Cez's new avatar.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Dobie
Soldier
Soldier
Title: A real one has a link

Postby Dobie » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:59 am

The two are related. Also I've been busy with orphans and fires. And rescuing one from the other.
Orphans were putting out fires and you stopped them?

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:55 pm

Peep Show. Its current state reminds me of Arrested Development, in that it has very good reviews and has won awards and such, but it doesn't get very good ratings. Unlike Arrested Development, though, more seasons keep getting made, happily.

The humour is of the awkward variety, and can get rather intense (I've heard it described as like The Office, but with the awkward cranked up to eleven). I've heard from at least two or three people that they can't watch more than two or three episodes at once because of it, though they still find it funny. I haven't hit my awkward-limit of consecutive episodes yet.

dgf hhw

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:21 pm

I watch entirely too much TV (though I have only watched nearly every single episode of 2 shows I really do love, and I am only certain I've seen every episode of TWO finished shows, both of which are only three seasons long....). Currently, I am watching Journeyman. I also loved Primeval for awhile but I stopped and just haven't caught up with the last season or so. I also lost interest in Being Human. Fringe has grown on me...the first season, I had a private competition with myself to see how much of the episode I could actually watch before shutting it off, but now I actually enjoy it.

My favorite show I don't know anyone else who has seen it is Traveler. It made it 8 episodes. However, one of the main actors has a show I can conceivable watch as the alternate universe version of the other character so it is like a fun extension.

I'm actually relatively alone amongst my friends because I still haven't finished Firefly. I think I have three more episode now. It has only taken me four years...
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:46 pm

The re-imagined Sherlock Holmes that was done by BBC. Whoa, awesome show. To be expected though, with a guy like Steven Mofatt as a co-executive producer.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:16 am

THE RICHES.

It got axed pretty much mid second season because of the writers strike, but it was SO GOOD. Like, SO SO SO GOOD.

The entire cast (featuring Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver) is so heartbreakingly excellent. Darkly comedic drama at its best. God, I love this show. Someone PLEASE watch it so that I can actually discuss/gush about it with someone.

It used to be on hulu, but now it appears to be gone...
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Psudo » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:35 am

When it comes to obscurity, I like to mention Tales from the Neverending Story. Canadian show that tells the same plot as the 80s movie, except a little darker and so slowly and boringly you want to die. Until the last episode; they knew they weren't going to get renewed for another season, so they just went nuts and threw everything in. It's not a great show, but that last episode gives the impression parallel universes colliding and hilarious, frantic action destroying them both. I have it on DVD.

There was a show that was called Cursed for the first couple episodes, then changed it's name to the Weber Show, and then disappeared into oblivion. It was originally a sitcom about a guy whose ex-girlfriend cursed him, so every day was a worst-case scenario. They tried to boost ratings by dropping the whole curse/bad luck angle, but they forgot to fix the horrible writing. Wikipedia says it lasted 17 episodes; I'm surprised it lasted that long.

But these are supposed to be obscure shows we like. I liked a show that was called Too Something; it doesn't even have a Wikipedia page, though it is on IMDB. It was a sitcom about two guys that worked in the mail room at a big corporation because one was a writer that refused to let anyone read his stories and the other was a photographer who refused to let anyone see his pictures. They had a bizarre contest to rename the show, almost like a reality-show-style vote, which resulted in it being renamed New York Daze. I was offended enough that I stopped watching; also, the time slot became inconvenient.

Both Cursed and Too Something were from an era in my life where I watched every sitcom on the air, regardless of quality. That part of my life is why I don't allow television stations in my house anymore.

Does anyone remember ExoSquad and Pirates of Dark Water? I don't know if they're obscure enough to qualify (especially since ExoSquad is on Hulu now), but they deserve a mention as classics of the Saturday morning action cartoon genre. Eek! The Cat is more obscure but less good.

Comments on others' shows:
Hogan's Heros - I haven't seen it, but my grandma used to tell me funny stories from it's plot and characters. I like Perry Mason from that era, and have some of it on DVD.
You Can't Do That on Television - That used to be on Nickelodeon back before I had cable TV. I generally liked the couple of episodes I saw at friends' houses, but felt it was rude to intentionally go to their houses just to ignore them for half an hour. I remember the green slime.
Dead Like Me, Joan of Arcadia - These look like my style, but I've never actually watched them. Probably too popular to be considered "obscure." I'll add My So-Called Life to this list.
Firefly, the Pretender, Sliders, Monk, House, Psych, Law & Order, Red Dwarf, the IT Crowd - Seen 'em, love 'em, but they're clearly not "obscure." I want to make a video game in the style of the IT Crowd's title sequence. Yes, the IT Crowd is better than The Big Bang Theory (though less nerdy, and I like 'em both).
the 4400 - I watched like 10 episodes of this, thinking "Is it going to get interesting soon?" It seemed like it had so much potential, but it wasn't using it! Finally, I gave up.
Square 1, BBC's Sherlock - SO. GOOD. See 'em now!
Conviction, Freakazoid - Yes, very good.
Heroes - You're not the only one who doesn't like it.

.... Apparently TV is a medium about which I have much to say.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:23 am

The Gates. Such an awesome show that I don't think many people watch.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:32 am

the Pretender
Man, this show was awesome. I just think it deserves a special mention. My best friend and I watched it all the time growing up, and I see it in Wal-Mart all the time on the TV shows rack and aaaaaalmost buy it before remembering that TV show seasons are, for the most part, expensive, and I am but a poor lad.

Row--row.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:58 am

The Gates. Such an awesome show that I don't think many people watch.
I just read an article a few days bemoaning how it went from terrible pilot to actually good television and everything still thinks it looks like crud, but if it really is now good, I think I will be watching that one soon.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:15 pm

Pirates of Dark Water
Yeah, I watched this. I don't really remember anything about it, but my strong recognition of some youtube clips tell me I definitely saw quite a bit of it. Also, ever since I saw an episode of Drawn Together, I thought that the character Xandir looked like some non-Link person I had seen before... I'm pretty sure I was thinking of the Pirates of Dark Water protagonist.
ExoSquad
I don't remember this, but honestly the intro makes it look a lot like Macross.

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:30 am

BraveStarr
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:35 am

"Strength of the Bear!!"
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:49 am

Rome was a BBC/HBO TV series surrounding the rise of the Caesers in a VERY not I, Claudius style. It ran for two seasons before ending almost immediately after the Battle of Actium. It actually almost serves as a prequel to that series, taking pains to setup a good number of the plotlines that are explored there.

It was critically and, for HBO at least, a ratings success but a more than year-long gap between the first and second seasons, combined with the fact that those who are interested in this part of history have been over it more times than they can count, and those who aren't were mainly there to see people in funny costumes having sex, meant it was never exactly water-cooler talk the way some other HBO shows were.

Also, the phenomenal failure that was Kings on NBC, essentially the story of King David (Yes, that David) set in a technologically modern world. Would've been great on HBO, but fell flat on its face when trying to fill the gap between Heroes, Chuck, and 30 Rock's off seasons. I'm not a Christian, so maybe it was offensive to them, or maybe they just didn't want to hear the story again like with Rome, or, the cynical reason, an intellectual examination of the character drama in a Bible story just wasn't prime-time network material. Still loved it, though.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Psudo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Psudo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:36 am

The Gates.
I just read an article a few days bemoaning how it went from terrible pilot to actually good television and everything still thinks it looks like crud
I couldn't finish watching the pilot, but maybe I'll try again.
Rome
I'd like to see the US Revolution from James Otis to the ratification of the Constitution done in that style. I only saw half of John Adams; maybe it covers more than I think, but I want more.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:06 am

Deadwood.

If you are very sensitive to foul language, perhaps you'd better skip this one, but otherwise I urge you to watch it. Hauntingly excellent.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:53 pm

Doesn't anyone here watch True Blood?
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Return to “Milagre Town Square”