ESP(Web)N

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:35 pm

Are we seriously going to lose to the freaking Lions? Really?
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:58 am

Are we seriously going to lose to the freaking Lions? Really?
it took me like ten seconds you were talking about St Louis losing to Detroit because I was like, huh? Illinois thrashed the Nittany Lions on saturday.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:50 pm

Take that, San Diego (and by association: Alea)!

Papa Moose
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Papa Moose » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:20 pm

As a long-time Charger fan, I gotta say I haven't been very pleased with the season thus far. To add insult to injury, the home games haven't sold enough tickets, so haven't been televised locally (including me). All I've been able to see so far are the away games/losses. But hey, I've already seen a season's worth of turnovers, so there's that, right?

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Out of necessity, I've picked a sports team. Understand, I don't particularly care about hockey, and generally I don't even notice it until playoff time. But there's a couple of RABID Canucks fans in the houses I work at, so I think I have to become a fan, or I'll get lynched. :)
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:18 am

The enemy's fly is down.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:12 pm

f****** Chargers.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:34 pm

GO RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOHOOOO!!!!!!!

Way to school the Broncos!!!!

Holy s***, when did you guys learn how to play football? Usually my husband and I celebrate when there's a first down in the first quarter, never mind a touchdown, never mind multiple touchdowns!!! Cuz that doesn't happen! But it did! Woohoo! You played like a real professional team with the quarterback throwing to receivers who caught and ran! I <3 McFadden.

~~~

Also, WTF, Vikings? Come on. Oh my gosh. What a heartbreaker.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:17 pm

GREAT WEEKEND for a Wisconsin sports fan!!!

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:04 pm

Alea after Week Five's loss.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:54 am

I'm not even watching that because at this point, I'm assuming you want me to hate you and I just don't want to. :D

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:39 pm

Finally, a win, which means we aren't down and out. 3-5 is not how I wanted this (or any) season to start and they are still making some ridiculous errors (extra point not made? Seriously?) but Jackson will be rejoining the team later this month, Rivers is throwing as well as ever, Little Man (Sproles) is making some key plays as are Gates and Tolbert. If they can clean up the rest of their act so they're not turning over the ball on f****** returns (hey, special teams, nice naps?), getting good punts, and just get some consistency -all of which may be a tall order but I think they can do it- I'd be a happy camper.Oh, no more safety's would be fabulous. They got lucky that there weren't two in this game.

So, go ahead and tease me some more, Syphon. It almost pisses me off and the Chargers don't like it when I'm angry. ;)

As an aside, I'm irrationally angry at Oakland for having the balls to be a decent team this season. I am hard-pressed to think of another team I enjoyed watching lose more than the Raiders...well, the Yankees in baseball but beyond that, definitely hard-pressed.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:22 pm

I wasn't teasing you! It's just a video about how much a little (Charger loving) boy hates the Raiders!

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:45 am

Go Rangers ! E.P. you're Phillies made a damn fine showing this year!

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:45 am

Go Rangers ! E.P. you're Phillies made a damn fine showing this year!
Maybe this is what it is like to be a spoiled sports fan because I don't think it was a great showing. On paper, this was the best team that they have had in the past three years. On paper, this was the worst crop of playoff teams in the National League. They should have at least made it to the series. But they didn't deserve to win that series against the Giants. But really?? The Giants?? The amount of players that are on their team that were cut from their previous team is crazy. And now they are going to win the World Series. It's embarrassing that a team couldn't beat them.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:43 pm

Go Irish!
The enemy's fly is down.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:55 pm

hehe go badgers.

poor indiana.
Ubernaustrum

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:28 pm

The Vols won their homecoming game 52-14. I was cold the whole time.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:29 pm

How did that feel, Syphon, losing to the 49ers in overtime?

I know it felt kind of crummy watching the Seahawks hand AZ that loss. The Cardinals need a quarterback and bad.

And a super big thanks to the Broncos for handing the Chiefs a loss. As much as I would hate for Oakland to lead, I need things to go in the Chargers' favor. Besides, Oakland plays Pittsburgh next week; if they lose that (and they should) and SD gets a win, that'll help...though I guess division record will count for more if there's any sort of tie and Oakland definitely has the advantage there. Oh, Chargers. Why do you do this to me? Let's hear it for some Oakland losses.

I think what pisses me off is how much the Chargers deserve a better record. Number one offense, they were first in defense but are now sitting pretty at number two; all of this with a kind of rag tag group of guys...it's that damn special teams.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:12 pm

How did that feel, Syphon, losing to the 49ers in overtime.
You mean after we had the freaking ball first? I can understand losing in overtime if you don't get first possession, but seriously? 3rd and 5 = time for an 8 yard sack? And how we can't win a road game to save our lives? Yeah, it was awesome.

But hey, we've won more games this year than the past two years combined. That's good, right? One day, we may even be good again!

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:07 am

How did that feel, Syphon, losing to the 49ers in overtime?

I know it felt kind of crummy watching the Seahawks hand AZ that loss. The Cardinals need a quarterback and bad.
I know the bullshit that happened with Leinart in the preseason, but what happened to their QB this season?
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:54 am

Wow. Was I ever wrong about Vick. Forget all of the off the field stuff, man is he fun to watch. The Eagles haven't been this fun to watch since 2004 and they might be the most exciting team that they have ever had.

Also, I heart the Flyers.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Seriously though. MNF last night was a group event for us, and it became "eat bagel bites and make as many Vick/dog jokes as possible night"
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:31 pm

it became "...make as many Vick/dog jokes as possible night"
How does that work for your group, exactly? Was it "judge this celebrity for his past mistakes in his personal life because he is a well-paid public figure and deserves it" or was it closer to my personal favorite, equal opportunity "judge this person for his past mistakes in his personal life that are irrelevant in this context because he deserves it," even though he's already repaid his debts to society as the court of law saw fit? It's not like sports fans can't talk s*** about someone's play or (athletic) record or anything. Truly classy and very creative. Seriously though.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:40 am

Nah. We know he's a great player. It was just fun.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:48 pm

I don't forgive Michael Vick. I don't think he deserves a second chance at professional athletics. I don't see animal cruelty as a "past mistake". I don't see his punishment as fit.

This article sums up how I feel about it pretty well. http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-pla ... umn?page=1

Maybe when Mel (and the 46 other dogs seized from Vick's "kennel") forgives him, maybe I will.
-Kim

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:05 pm

Essentially, an ex-convict is dominating America's most popular sport while victims of his previous crime continue to live with the brutality of that crime, and has that ever happened before?
Ray Lewis was indicted for murder and pled down to a misdemeanor in exchange for his testimony against two of his friends also involved in the incident. (He also settled a civil case with the victim's family out-of-court for millions.)

He was named Super Bowl MVP a year later.

So, I guess the answer is "sort of."

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:45 pm

Kim, I haven't read the article yet but I promise I intend to before the night is over.

Would you like me to respond to your post, with regards to what I was thinking when I first responded to HBC? I would be more than happy to do so, because I very much respect you and understand this is a matter close to your heart. I just need to know if you're interested in carrying on a discussion or were simply looking to respond, yourself. I can respect either.

However, if I do respond, I would ask that a mod break off the conversation because although this is currently remaining on topic in the sense that it deals with a sports figure, my response would start to venture into the US court system, as well as domestic abuse and rape -which I guarantee you are related in a general sense to what I'd be stating.

Let me know. :)

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:50 pm

"Oh... this is another one of those onion things, isn't it?"
"No, this is one of those drop it and leave it alone things."
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:55 pm

Oh, woman. Hush. I'll drop it if and only if Kim decides that is what she wants. Otherwise, I'm quite capable of speaking to her as a mature adult.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:56 pm

Lol. Didn't you know that Shrek quotes keep the drama llama away?
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:04 pm

I quit addressing you further up. Respond in kind regarding this matter, please, while I wait to hear from Kim unless you can offer a meaningful reply.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:14 pm

I'm sorry. That entire exchange was wrong of me. You didn't deserve that.

I became touchy after your initial post with regards to how your night was spent. I could waste your time and tell you the somewhat relevant story about the exact moment I decided that, when I was aware of what I was doing, I wouldn't be that sports fan who resorts to getting my kicks from attacking athletes on a personal level. I was/am okay with saying their athleticism is lacking but thanks to this moment in college, it became very important to me to not make my anger or annoyance where sports are involved about the player as a person. I do not much care for the argument that his making more money or being famous makes him exempt from how I'd want to be treated were I in his place. If you, or anyone else, is capable of enjoying the sort of humor that relies on that, I need to learn to keep my mouth shut. Simple as that. I'm not perfect, anyway -as can be evidenced by that complete crank out above. I judge people, too, I make fun of people, too, it's human nature and can't always be helped.

Here is the gist of what I'd say to Kimmie..

It was never my intent to say that what Vick did off the field was anything other than despicable and appalling. I absolutely, on a personal level, think it was wrong, to say the least. But, and maybe this is wrong of me, that is where I have to bow out of the process as the rest does not pertain to me; I am not a part of the judicial system, I am not his friend or family member, I was not a victim of his crime, I am not his coach or teammate, and I am not a resident of the city of Philadelphia.

What the US currently has with regards to the court system is flawed. It is undeniably wrong often and it is no secret to anyone who has ever been personally involved that it is a fan of money and being able to interpret laws in such a manner as to benefit those who have more of it. Mr. Vick had a lot. I have no doubt that had everything to do with the terms in which he was punished but the courts determined his punishment and he saw it through. He has paid his debts in the only way that he could be held accountable for.

Since I do not know him personally, and even if I did, it wouldn't mean anything, I can't argue whether or not he deserves anyone's forgiveness. I can't say, one way or another, whether or not he feels any remorse for what he did. For all I know, he's not currently engaging in that behavior because he knows the penalty for being caught a second time would be worse; he could be an a****** and itching to get back into it. However, for all I know, he messed up and recognizes it on a level much deeper than saying "I messed up." I would like to give him, and all people, the benefit of the doubt. I would like to believe in a world where, when people mess up, they can learn their lesson and change for the better. I believe people deserve second chances.

To call animal cruelty a "past mistake" was an understatement on my part, I acknowledge that, but I do think it is in the past at this point and at it's simplest, it was in fact a mistake. Are there really any words, stronger by a wide margin, that would do justice to the true nature of his crime? I could call it a travesty but that too would be cheap.

I do not believe punishing him by taking away his livelihood is the right thing to do. Would he deserve to lose that? Possibly. It's not my place to say, at least not in the way you think (I'll come back to that). Obviously, the people in the NFL didn't believe it was the right thing to do and whether they came at that decision from a moral standpoint or a bottom line is unknown to me and, quite frankly, irrelevant. Pointing fingers and saying, "Well, he did this god-awful thing!" is not going to undo it and for regular people, the prevelence of being unable to find work when released from a jail or prison is bad enough to me. How can we expect people to want to change if they know that the jail term/probation/parole is not the real punishment; that every citizen out there who catches wind of their crime is going to hold them accountable until the end of time and that it does no good to be truly sorry because no one will let you live without the reminders that once upon a time, you made an awful decision or series of them? Maybe that's supposed to be a deterent for would-be criminals but I don't see crime rates lowering.

The people who should decide whether or not Vick has a career in the NFL are the fans, in this case, the citizens of Philadelphia. They pay for the tickets that go towards his salary. There probably are some who have not gone to a game because of his presence. I can respect that decision but I also question whether those people have watched any Roman Polanksi (a huge douchebag because he was too much of a pussy to even go to jail for his crimes) films, catch Charlie Sheen on his television show, enjoy anything Mel Gibson has ever made, or listen to Chris Brown. All celebrities who have domestic abuse or rape on their records. There are many more examples of such despicable behavior, I'm sure of it. But, for the record, I do enjoy Chris Brown's music and I still love Mel Gibson movies. The art they make is not affected, for me, by their personal lives because their personal lives are none of my damn business. Let them deal with their makers. And the same goes for Vick and football, as far as I'm concerned. His off-field behavior does not make him less talented or enjoyable on the field.

That may be an unpopular opinion, I may be in the wrong in more ways than not. I guess the point is, he was judged by those in a position to make a difference and being the flawed human being I am, I can't feel good about casting stones at him. I absolutely respect Kimmie for her opinion and her choosing to hold him accountable.

I hope that, even if I'm alone on all that, it at least makes sense.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:44 pm

I totally understand where you're coming from, Alea. And I respect separating personal from professional like that.

But, I think that being a professional athlete is such a privelege... More a privilege than a livelihood... That doing something so despicable as dog fighting at that level should lose him that privilege. I also grant that it isn't my place to enforce. I just will not support the team while he is a part of it.

And for me, I ind this closer to my heart than other domestic violence type issues because the dogs don't have a voice in it at all the way other victims do. (I also acknowledge that this is my bleeding animal lover heart speaking.)
-Kim

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:03 pm

Squeee!

Go Raiders!

I'm excited for the game today against the Steelers! I honestly don't really believe we have a chance in hell, but it's so freaking cool in the pre-game commentary to hear the commentaters talking like it's a REAL TEAM!

~~

In other news, my supervisor, who is a Chiefs fan and has been since the big rivalries back in the 60s and 70s seriously could not talk about the game two weeks ago with me. A lot of people in this area, it turns out, have been raised with much the same attitude in Michael's YouTube clip. I could practically see her inner child screaming, "I HATE THE RAIDERS. IHATETHERAIDERS!" I haven't really talked to her since Kansas lost last week. She was kinda clinging to the fact that the Chiefs were half a game ahead of the Raiders.

~~

I like following football. It has paid off in major, major dividends as a conversation piece.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Return to “Milagre Town Square”