ESP(Web)N

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:34 am

I hope I don't offend but I'm sic of the Yanks I wish they would just suck for a few years. Ya know there is just too much money/pull in their recruitment dept. :P
DUDE.

THEY HAVE SUCKED FOR THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS.

(Well, relatively.)

Last year they didn't even make it to post-season!

That's why this is exciting! They're playing like the old Yankees again!
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:45 am

Yankees records:
2008 89 - 73
2007 94 - 68
2006 97 - 65
2005 95 - 67
2004 101 - 61
2003 101 - 61
2002 103 - 58

Where along these lines have the Yankees sucked? This is why so many people hate the Yankees. They (and their fans) think they are always entitled to something. They have no idea what it is like to root for a team that generally sucks. Just because the Yankees buy their team every year, that doesn't mean it entitles you to jack s***.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:01 pm

Point A. You don't buy a team. You buy players. That's different. Also, you're right. Buying a team doesn't entitle you to any titles or any games. However, winning lots of games in a given season does pretty well entitle you to that.

Point B. "Suck" as I said, is a relative term. For a team like the Yankees, not making it to the playoffs = sucking.

Point C. I've rooted for plenty of teams that suck. My family is sharply divided between the lines of Twins and Yankees, I have never been able to bridge that, I am torn when I see them play, but I always root for the Twins when they're against the Yankees. I've been a Twins fan since I was 8.

Point D. Neener neener neener.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:35 pm

Point A. Players make up a team. Therefore you buy a team. And winning a lot of games when you buy everyone for 10 to 250 million more than they are worth just makes you a bully because you have a couple extra million people living in your metro area. If you were really a Twins fan, you would understand this.

Point B. Suck is a relative term. Like to the rest of the league, sucking would at least merit being below .500. Please, the Yankees haven't sucked in a long time.

Point C. Oh so you have a team that you can conveniently fall back on when you favorite team isn't winning.

Point D. This is why people hate Yankees fans. Congrats.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:32 am

Yah Phillies!!! :D

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:26 pm

Ed, I don't care what you have to do -sacrifice a goat, dance naked, slap some asses- you will do whatever it takes to make your team beat the Yankees, you hear?

In other words, I'm not pleased with the series thus far. Although, I feel I should point out, I'm not so invested that I'm actually watching the games and I do feel a bit like this is my fault. I did root for the Yankees, for the first time ever, when they were playing the Twins.
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:50 pm

Wow. You people are strange. (Said affectionately and with the understanding that, no, not everybody is a Yankees fan. Hardly anyone is, apparently. But even if it's just me and my mother, I'm in good company.)

I've been quite enjoying the series, of course, except for that miserable first game. It was nice to see Swisher hit the ball well last night.

~~

In other news, I do not ask my average client, in a 45-50 minute session, about their emotiosns or feelings half as often as Fox Sports asks Brett Favre about his in a 3-5 minute interview. Jeez. That was irritating.

~~

Also, I think I missed my calling. I should have been a baseball manager or a football coach. I always have such good advice that I scream at the TV screen. Gems such as, "HIT THE BALL!" "NO, DON'T HIT A POP UP, HIT A HOMERUN!" "THROW A STRIKE FOR A CHANGE, WOULD YOU?" and, Donny's favorite, "HIT THE GUY WITH THE FOOT-BALL! HIT HIM! HE'S RIGHT THERE!"
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:21 pm

Ed, I don't care what you have to do -sacrifice a goat, dance naked, slap some asses- you will do whatever it takes to make your team beat the Yankees, you hear?

In other words, I'm not pleased with the series thus far. Although, I feel I should point out, I'm not so invested that I'm actually watching the games and I do feel a bit like this is my fault. I did root for the Yankees, for the first time ever, when they were playing the Twins.
What do you think I'm doing? I want to post so much more, this is not the time or the place.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:17 pm

Thank God ! I'm a thinkin the Phillies may yet pull it off!!!! :P :P

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:40 pm

Nah. I called it from the before the first game. Yankees in six.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:22 pm

There is still hope , come on Phillies!!! :x

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:51 pm

Damn (the) Yankees. No better than high-priced prostitutes. It's not a competition, it's a corporation.

And my Packers have been awful. Number 1 QB in the country, 14 TD's, 2 INT's, 110 passer rating, Number 3 defense in the league, and a paltry 4-3 with two disgusting losses to Favre and the Vikings. I was almost ill last Sunday.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:15 pm

I am in a state of mourning right now. A sunday night victory over the cowboys might snap me out of it a little bit.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:25 pm

My God, I love that team. All of them. More than I did at the start of the series. Victory is sweet.

I also love having been right about something having to do with sports.

And I also love the fact that all the people who looked at me like a leper in the lunchroom today are grinding their teeth in irritation about now.

(Seriously. A lady in our little staff room who I barely know asks me my world series prediction. I reply in a friendly tone, matter-of-factly, as I've been saying all along, "Yankees in six." And then there was this awkward dead silence in the room until people decided to ignore me and talk about what a great season the Phillies were having and how much they hate the Yankees. Good times. :roll: )
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:27 pm

Wait...I thought you were a Twins fan...

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:41 pm

I have somewhat split and conflicted loyalties. My family has a deep, deep divide along Twins/Yankees lines that I could never quite reconcile in my childhood. I was a Twins fan, my mother was a crazed Yankees fan. My grandfather and most of my extended family were Twins fans, but my favorite uncle and closest cousin were Yankees fan. I was an impressionable child, very anxious to please everybody. A few of my family members resolve it by becoming bitter, hardcore fans who hate the other side. Most of us, however, choose to maintain family peace by establishing a Yankees/Twins hierarchy.

So, basically, for me what it boils down to is the following:

When the Twins play, I root for the Twins. When the Yankees play, I root for the Yankees. When the Yankees play the Twins, I root very hard for the Twins and the Yankees can go to hell. This is why I define myself more as a Twins fan. My mother is similar, except in Twins/Yankees situations, she roots for the Yankees. (But the most important thing that unites us as a family, I guess, is that we despise the Braves.)

However, I love both of those teams and pretty much could care less about any of the others (although, I do have a residual fondness for the history that the Red Sox have. But I would never call myself a fan.) If neither of them make it to the series, I default to hope that the American League will win, but I don't really care that much.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:27 am

Speaking strictly as a sports fan, that is absolutely asinine.

So taking all of family stuff out it and strictly looking at the facts. The Twins are your team, but you love the Yankees, a team that traditionally whoops up on the Twins in the playoffs. And on top of that, you like and respect the Red Sox, the Yankees arch enemy.

That would be like having the Phillies as my team. Loving the Dodgers (used to love whooping on the Phils in the late 70s/early 80s, not so much lately). But liking and respecting the Mets. Ewww.

I take my sports very seriously and try to take other fans' views into account, but this just boggles my mind. It simply just does not compute.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:53 am

That's partly because you can't take the family stuff out of it. Half of the point of baseball for me is the family conversations around the sport. Hell, half of the reason I was so happy to see the Yankees win is because they still have a ton of old players I remember from my teenage years. Nostalgia matters.

I don't hate the Red Sox because they aren't hatable. They're generally good players and they have a lot of history, and I also like it when the Yankees beat them. I like that a lot.

Wanting your team to win does not necessitate hating every team that might beat them. It's just not a contradiction to me, to want to see both teams that I grew up watching do well.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:59 pm

I don't know what it is about NY teams but have I mentioned I also don't like the Giants?

*sigh* Oh, Chargers...following you is an exercise in masochism.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:49 pm

Dear St. Louis Rams,

I hate you more and more each week. For every regular season game you've won in the past five years, you've lost two. That doesn't even count this year, where you're sitting at 1-7. Your combined regular season wins for 2006-2009 is equal to your 2001 regular season record (which, granted, you went to the Superbowl, so your regular season record was pretty darn good, but seriously, FOUR YEARS and you still can't get more than 14 wins combined?!). But hey, on the bright side, one more win this year and you tie last year's record.

Why do I even bother watching you play, anymore? You've given me four good years... out of fourteen. What the heck is wrong with you?

Oh, that's right: your freaking management. You let Dick Vermeil retire, which, okay, he just won the Super Bowl and if he wants that to be his last hurrah, so be it. (Yeah, so much for retirement, he went on to coach for another five years, jackasses. It's nice to know that you tried so very hard to keep him in St. Louis.) Then you get pissy with Mike Martz (you know, the guy who was the offense coordinator for your last Superbowl victory and head coach for your last appearance), despite the fact that his worst season was 7-9, and then fire him shortly after learning that his heart wasn't going to give out after all.

*grumble grumble*
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:41 am

The Sea Dogs will suck this weekend as all Seattle teams do! :roll: :x

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:23 pm

When I was growing up ( yep that far back) we could look up to, sometimes worship our fav sports figures. It's in a sad state now, we can't even count on the boring Golf stars to play it straight ! :roll:

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:46 am

Packers win, Bears and Cowboys lose.. All is as it should be.

Playoffs, here we come.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:40 pm

Packers win, Bears and Cowboys lose.. All is as it should be.

Playoffs, here we come.
It would definitely be sweet if the Packers beat the Vikings in the playoffs. Sweet, sweet justice.

Rumors are flying that the Phillies just traded Cliff Lee for Roy Halliday. They said that the Mariners would pick up Lee and the Jays would get prospects. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. But buckshot, if this is true, the Ms are getting a good one in Lee.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Yep EP my M's would come up the winner on that deal! And Go Cardnials ! :)

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Addict

Postby Sonikku13 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:11 pm

Thread revival.

MIN/NO vs IND in the Super Bowl.
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I've had 102 nukes on MW2.

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:11 am

ARGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am still very upset over the Vikings stupid vaseline hands and stupid Farve stupidly choking with 7 freaking seconds left in the stupid game. ARG.

I think that game was way better than the Super Bowl will be.

On the whole, looking back at my first season following football, I rather enjoyed myself. Glad I made an effort to get into it. Kind of hate that I never, ever see anything when it happens and have to rely on the replays so damn much. But that might get better with time. And with a better television.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:59 am

I saw the highlights, can can assume that watching the match live (while actually understanding the arcane rules of american football) must have been really exciting.
My friend said it was almost too much to bear :D but as it ended as she wanted, she's happy nonetheless lol.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:18 pm

I am happy the Saints get to go to their first superbowl, I wish it was against the Jets, though.

so does that leave San Diego as the only team that has never been to the superbowl?
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:06 pm

San Diego went to the super bowl in 90s. They lost to the 49ers. The only teams that have never been to a super bowl are the Lions, Browns, Jaguars and the Texans. The Lions and Browns both won NFL Championships before it was called the Super Bowl, but never made it back. The Jags have played in a couple of AFC championships, but never a super bowl. And the Texans have never made the playoffs.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:02 pm

*sad sigh* After 25 years of making it to the NCAA tournament (and doing some dominating in the process), UofAZ failed to make it this year. You know when the team started going downhill? About the time I left. Just think about that. :P

Anyone else follow college basketball? Have a team make it?

---------------------

It looks like Chicago has a hockey team. Good to know; a movie I saw this weekend (not the Mighty Ducks but that is also awesome) made me reconsider following hockey. I won't do it, however, until I have people to watch it with.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Not only is my team in it, but my best friend's team is in it, and my ex-best friend's team is the one seed (crossing my fingers they disappoint and lose!). She is the only one of us who really really cares though, and my bff's team is playing as of 20 minutes ago and will most likely lose.

I like to tie Zona's multi-year fall to them having a few years back the hot shot of my rival high school's basketball team though I am not sure the two events quite map on exactly.

I am also seriously disappointed none of the teams I care about are playing in places I would like to go.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:30 pm

I never really had a college team growing up. So I ended up with some strange ones in basketball and football. My basketball team is Gonzaga. Probably won't make it out of the second round. It is also fun when local teams do well. I enjoy all of the Philadelphia schools. Villanova and Temple are both in the tourney. Villanova did not deserve a 2 seed. They have struggled of late, but should have a pretty easy go of it early. Temple got hosed with their seeding. Definitely should have been a four, probably a three. So I should have at least one team I enjoy watching in the second week.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:07 am

We lost in the 2nd overtime against Ohio State last Saturday, so, no, we didn't make the tournament.

But we're a #1 seed for the NIT, so basketball season isn't entirely over.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:14 am

Thank God the Cactus league is coming ! :P

Return to “Milagre Town Square”