ESP(Web)N

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:15 am

Poor Alicia Sacramone...she looked so bummed out, understandably. Nastia Liukin was nothing short of amazing though (I think better than Shawn Johnson, even). Overall, what a bummer about getting silver but it's nothing to look down their noses at.

Sucks for Hoff that she got 4th in both of her events but w0ot! for Coughlin for getting bronze in the 200.

At this point, what's left to say about Phelps?

I have to say, this has been the most entertaining Olympics for me since '96.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:56 pm

Usain Bolt ran 100 meters in 9.69 seconds. Whoa.

That's like ten meters- thirty feet- in less than a second. That is just amazing.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:55 pm

It cracks me up that his last name is Bolt.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:09 am

2 things.

1) Running semi-finals... three people's name, in a line, were

Patton
Gay
Dix

2) Phelps did all 8 golds. GG, sir, good game.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:41 am

Good grief, what an awesome weekend in the world of Olympic sports...

Bolt, already mentioned, had an amazing run and managed to make it look like a walk in the flippin' park. If he hadn't started to celebrate, he would have cut off even more time.

But go Walter Dix for getting the bronze. Unexpected, honestly, but awesome nonetheless. Makes up for the fact that Tyson Gay just couldn't cut it (I wonder if he was lying at all about being back to 100%).

Reason I love watching the 100m races? The playbacks show them from just the right angle; it honest to god looks unreal, like they're flying.

Women's marathon. Hot dog. The winner, from Romania, is a 38 year old. And you know what? That to me is way more inspiring than Dara Torres being a 41 year old swimmer. Why? Because one did 26 damn miles compared to one training for/doing 50m. I know, I know, I shouldn't compare them, different sports and all, and both are pretty inspirational...but come on. Marathon runner wins for me.

Swimming! Wow. Coughlin, Soni, Torres, Peirsol, Lochte, Lezak, Phelps. It was all pretty stunning and downright entertaining. I just about had a heart attack when Phelps looked about to lose the 100m butterfly.

Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh are pretty darn cool. Or so they seem.

It'd be nice to see some softball, baseball and soccer, but I suppose there are only so many hours in a day.

I'm tempted to buy the dvd from NBC, I've enjoyed this year so much. More than most (all?) people I know.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:58 pm

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:25 pm

Wow. Canada sucks.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:49 pm

one week til college football starts! (can't wait!)
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:38 pm

College football! college football! college football! YAAAAAY!

Also, Rice football is not totally sucking this year (yet).

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Also, I love Chase Clement (though, he could use to lose the mustache.) And I love Jarett Dillard! And James Casey/Thor!

Yay Owls!

I wish I was there.
-Kim

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:41 am

Don't know much about Rice football. But my friends and I were commenting on how Chase Clement is a great quarterback name.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:49 pm

Chase Clement is a fantastic QB name.

I love that he and Jarett Dillard will probably get the tandem TD pass record this year.

I also love that CC is going to medical school next fall.

I could ramble about Rice football forever. I'm super glad you watched at least some of it, Ed!
-Kim

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:19 pm

I have got to bring back the sports thread. The Phillies are actually winning in the playoffs. It has been quite a while since that has happened. They are up 2-0 in the NLCS and look to take a 3-0 tonight behind the ageless wonder Jamie Moyer. Thank God the Phils are doing well. It makes it so much easier to take the focus off of the fact that the Eagles are floundering and the Flyers lost their season opener.

Not to mention the fact that I got to witness two playoff wins live (Game 1 of the NLDS and Game 2 of the NLCS), which was incredible. And I have tickets to Game 5 of the World Series. I love the fact that everyone picked LA even though the Phillies had a better regular season record and home field advantage. There hasn't been a sports title for Philly in my life time and this is really the first time that I think that the city has a real shot to get one. If you can't tell, I'm a little bit excited.

BEAT LA!!!!

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Valentine » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:26 pm

Any Giants fans here in pweb? I <3 Eli Manning, and the Giants

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:42 pm

Goodness no, woman. Chargers in this household.

They're doing an awesome job this season of looking like their old selves...but alas, no fairweather fans here.

Outside of that almost-requirement, I'm rooting for the Dolphins (because of their god-awful season last year) and the Cardinals, just because they're from AZ.

I do get a kick (perhaps too much of one) out of the Oreo commercials, if that makes any difference to you.

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Valentine » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:53 pm

I'm rooting for the Dolphins too. Being from Miami, I almost died laughing when they beat New England 38-13.
But the Giants...that's pretty much my Sunday life. I looooove me some Eli Manning, Brandon Jacobs, Plaxico Burress, and Derreck Ward. :-)
Superbowl champs 2 years in a row!!! Just wait and see!!!

Chargers put up a nice little fight against my Panthers (my #2 team) so I'm impressed to say the least. At least you don't play the Giants. Then I'd have to laugh about ripping your team apart ;-) Not because they're the Chargers, but because the Giants are unstoppable (shhhh, don't mention Monday night football stats - Cleveland was a fluke! Barely even counts!!).

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:55 pm

Um, I live in NY and thus have some Giants fans around...but also some Bills, Patriots and Jets fans as well. And my hubby is from CA so he's sort of a Raiders fan if he had to pick a pro football team. He's way more into college football though, and then it's USC all the way!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:48 pm

Um, I live in NY and thus have some Giants fans around...but also some Bills, Patriots and Jets fans as well. And my hubby is from CA so he's sort of a Raiders fan if he had to pick a pro football team. He's way more into college football though, and then it's USC all the way!

Fight On! love college football, don't really follow pro football. I do support the Chiefs, which is usually a gloomier prospect than Alea supporting AZ Cardinals though.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:05 am

The Phillies aew up 3-1!!! Are you kidding me??? I never thought this would happen. I have tickets to game 5. Cole Hamels is on the mound. I think Philadelphia is finally going to get a championship. If they win tomorrow, my head might explode. I still don't believe it. Something has to go wrong.

Edit: P.S. Nic, I love ya, but you just dropped several notches in my book because I didn't know you were a Giants fan. And a fan of Eli Manning??? You would have an excuse if you were from New York, but I know you're not. :lol:

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Valentine » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:34 am

I loved the Giants prior to the Superbowl. Do I gain a couple notches back?
Yes, I'm an Eli fan. I have a Manning jersey I wear all day every Sunday, and most nights to bed :P
I also love Brandon Jacobs, Dereck Ward, and Plaxico Burress :lol:

But I'm definitely going for the Phillies!!!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:16 pm

Something has to go wrong.
You do realize that all this postponing is all your fault, right?

Right there, you jinxed it.

If I were you, I'd thank the baseball gods that no one else knows about this or your ass would be grass and your fellow citizens of Phillie would be the lawnmower.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:26 pm

Alea,
Everyone in Philly has been saying something has to go wrong. It always does, without fail. But the decision that was mad was absolutely crazy. Bud Selig said that this would be a 9 inning game no matter what, which it absolutely should be. He also said that he knew that going into the game, which I think is a crock of s***. It rained the entire game without stopping. It picked up before the 3rd and did not let up, and there was no sign in the forecast that it was going to let up. The field was in bad shape after the 4th and should have been stopped there. But if it was, it would not have been an offical game. And the Rays were pulling all the stalling tactics so that the game would get called before it was offical. This tells me that the Rays manager had zero idea that the game would definitely 9 innings no matter what. Rules state that if a game is postponed before the top of the 5th is played, then the game will not count and will be played on a different date. If this had happened, there would have been a riot in Philly, seeing as the Phillies had a 2-1 lead. Now, after the game becomes offical, there is another problem. The Phillies lead 2-1, the rules state that if a game is called due to weather after it has become offical, the team that is leading wins. In other words, the Phillies would be the world series champs, but it would be a pretty terrible way to win a championship. The 6th inning absolutely have not started. There were puddles in the infield. Had the been tied, I believe it would have been called earlier. I think Selig was crapping his pants the entire time because he didn't know what to due. This game would have went the distance if the Rays never tied it up. But obviously we can't have a tie game, so the remainder would be finished at a later date. Basically, I think the tie game bailed Selig out and he came out with this bullshit that it was going to be finished no matter what.

That actually felt good to get out lol.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:02 pm

I know it's a long shot... but Rice has a chance to be conference champs this year. That hasn't happened... uh, ever.

We're in a 3 way tie with our oldest rival and our newer, bigger, more hated rival.

Tulsa (most hated rival) lost to UH (oldest rival).
UH lost to Marshall. (WHAT? Yeah, really.)
Rice beat Marshall. (Ok, that makes sense.)

Today, Rice and UH play... and Tulsa and Marshall play.

If Rice beats UH and Marshall beats Tulsa, then Rice goes to 9-3 on the season and 7-1 in conference... and Tulsa and UH fall to 6-2 in conference... making us conference champs. I mean, I know it's not going to happen. But, I love the possibility!

Oh, Rice, please! Oh, Marshall, pretty please!
-Kim

Hector.Victorious
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Hector.Victorious » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:23 pm

I'm watching the Georgia Tech v. Georgia game.

I really want GT to win. Then for Virginia Tech to lose so GT can go to the ACC championship game.
"Killing Buggers was not homicide."
"No, I guess it was insecticide."

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:35 pm

Good luck to your team!
-Kim

Hector.Victorious
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Hector.Victorious » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:49 pm

To yours too!

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:20 pm

AAAAAAAH! I am going to have a freaking heart attack.

I love you, Rice Owls! 56-28 with 10 minutes left! Go Owls! Keep it up!

Marshall, quit playing with my blood pressure! You're tied 35-35... and I love it! But, please, please OH MY GOD PLEASE win!
-Kim

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:41 pm

Marshall loses by a field goal... jerks. :(
-Kim

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:48 pm

So how about that college basketball. I hear Indiana's supposed to have really good team this year. ;)

Go Hoosiers!
The enemy's fly is down.

Hector.Victorious
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Hector.Victorious » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:39 pm

GT won! 45-42 :D

*happy dance*

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:53 pm

urgh, I picked the wrong upset, I thought Georgia would win but Maryland would beat BC, turned out the opposite happened. :(

also Mizzou lost after an insane and hardfought game. damn shame to end the regular season that way, oh well here comes the big 12 championship game next week, which I'm going to. :)

USC is shutting out Notre Dame which is good. Oklahoma is winning which is bad. Texas Tech won which was annoying as Baylor was set to upset them.

And Oregon State is losing badly which is really hacking me off, I didn't want USC to win the Pac10, we'll have to play Penn State, which is no fun, I wanted us to go to the Sugar Bowl and play either Florida or Alabama, that's a much, much, much, much better game than playing yet another weak ass big10 team.

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Valentine » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:41 pm

Damn Burress.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:50 pm

lol, I totally read Buress as "Bears" as in the Chicago accents heavy "Da Bears!" skit from SNL

http://bears.fandome.com/video/72366/SNL-DA-BEARS-Skit/

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:42 am

For Kim,
Conference USA

Coach of the Year -- David Bailiff (32), Rice. After a tough transition season (the Owls went 3-9 last year in Bailiff's first season), Bailiff's bunch rebounded to go 9-3 and tie for the West Division title.

Player of the Year -- Jarett Dillard (33), Rice. He's caught 19 touchdown passes this season and 54 over the past three seasons. Which is ridiculous.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/ ... ortCat=ncf

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:44 am

Awesome. I love that you thought of me when reading about Rice, Adam!

Jarrett Dillard really is amazing! He and Chase hold the current NCAA record for most TD passes between a single QB and reciever.
-Kim

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:38 pm

And Oregon State is losing badly which is really hacking me off, I didn't want USC to win the Pac10, we'll have to play Penn State, which is no fun, I wanted us to go to the Sugar Bowl and play either Florida or Alabama, that's a much, much, much, much better game than playing yet another weak ass big10 team.
Weak ass Big 10? I'll give you that. Weak ass Big 10 team? I'm not so sure. Have you seen PSU play this year? But don't act like the Pac 10 is stacked. I mean USC wasn't even going to win the very lacking Pac 10 (and you were happy about it!). Whether you like it or not, PSU's and USC's resumes are very similar. Not to mention that PSU destroyed Oregon St.

Anywho, Boise St. another undefeated season down the drain. When will the BSC die and a playoff come in?

"]Damn Burress.
This is what happens when you have a cancerous receiver(well they don't always shoot themselves, but they always cause problems). He's a great talent, but I think the Giants might be better off without him.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”