ESP(Web)N

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:08 pm

congrats jota!
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Addict

Postby Sonikku13 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:26 pm

Uruguay vs. Germany - Once again, I think they're evenly matched. Germany with the better counterattack, Uruguay with the better defense and strikers on the attack. Once again, my ethnicity makes me biased, going for Germany. A side-plot to this game is Miroslav Klose's chase of Ronaldo for most World Cup goals of all time, needing one more goal to tie.

Netherlands vs. Spain - Well, Spain has had the most World Cup wins without a World Cup trophy. But what still concerns me is the lack of production from players other than David Villa. Despite this, they know how to hold on to possession. Aggregate for Spain in the World Cup - 7-2. Meanwhile, the Netherlands beat Brazil. I must say, however, that the Netherlands has a great goalkeeper. Without him, they would have been out against Brazil, as Maarten Stekelenburg blocked a great strike from Kaka, keeping the Netherlands in it at 1-0. Also, the Netherlands have shown the ability to score from anywhere - long range strikes, corner kicks, free kicks, etc. Aggregate for the Netherlands in the World Cup is 12-5. I see two side-plots. One is the Golden Boot. This game features the two players who lead in scoring with 5 goals a piece, David Villa and Wesley Sneijder. Another one is the FIFA rankings. Whomever wins this game will surely be number 1. However, I can't make a pick with my gut. Time for statistical analysis.

The Netherlands has scored 12 goals on 80 shots, and have had 41 shots on goal. Spain has scored 7 goals on 103 shots, and have had 40 shots on goal. Offensive efficiency goes to the Netherlands. Attacking ability goes to the Spanish.

The Netherlands has attempted 3,366 passes, and 2,434 were successful. Spain has attempted 4,206 passes, and 3,387 were successful. Possession advantage goes to the Spanish.

The Netherlands has conceded 5 goals, but their goalkeeper has made 17 saves. The Spanish have conceded 2 goals, and their goalkeeper has made 12 saves. Defensive advantage goes to the Spanish. Goalkeeping advantage goes to the Spanish.

Statistically, I can say Spain will win this game. My gut, however, is hesitant to go all in.
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I've had 102 nukes on MW2.

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:12 am

Thanks! :)

Soni, when you say lack of production, what do you mean? Spain doesn't really centralize their game through anyone, maybe a bit more through xabi but slightly. Villa is just the player with more "killer instinct", he's more selfish (as a striker should be), and he isn't afraid to shoot in less than ideal position. One of the things that ennervates me is how most players are really afraid to shoot unless they have the path completly open. They keep the ball too long until too many rivals have cluttered in defensive position. Yesterday, Del Bosque called them out on that. I am sure Spain's scoreboard would be higher if they dared to shoot more often.
Problem is that Spain has only one true striker, Torres (well, Llorente and Pedro too, but they aren't nearly as good as Torres was supposed to be), and he seems to be completely out of shape.

I was disappointed in Germany's play, though. I thought they would try to do a bit more pressing, try to gain control of the ball other than in counters. They only did that for a few mins after the goal.

About the game with the Dutch team, i don't expect it to be fairly different than the rest of games Spain played. It will be again a matter of Netherland managing, or not, to squeeze a goal in a counter before Spain scores.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:07 am

One of the things that ennervates me is how most players are really afraid to shoot unless they have the path completly open.
They probably lack confidence. ;)
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Sonikku13 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:52 am

By lack of production, I meant that one guy has scored 5 goals, and the other 22 players have scored 2. It's a minor concern, but still one that I have. I'd prefer to see more balance.
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:49 am

Well, soni, my team (in their good times) used to play really well, but had problems converting. Most clear opportunities would be misses.
So i thought it was more like a consequence of me supporting the team than anything else XD
Scoring just goes in streaks, anyway. Look at Messi and Cristina, 2 of the 3 highest scorers in Spanish league, and they scrapped one goal between them.

StS :P
You are not allowed to bring my statements against me, it's the law.
In any case, quite the contrary... maybe they were self-confident that they could keep the ball till they crossed the goal line XD

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:04 pm

I knew Spain would win :)
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:18 pm

Congratz, Jota!

Also: can you tell us not-Spanish-speaking Pwebbers what the writing on Iniesta's shirt said?
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:45 pm

"Siempre con nosotros" means "always with us." The first part, I'm sure you could see, was a name.

I only cheered Spain on against Germany because I can't stand the Germans, though I like them a whole lot more after yesterday's game; that was an enjoyable game to the very last second.

This one was downright ugly. Honestly, whoever didn't get a yellow card during play should have gotten one after the game, just so they didn't feel left out.

I'm also really sad it's all over. But congratulations, Jota.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:48 pm

It's over now? We can go back to not pretending we care about soccer?
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Sonikku13 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:41 pm

Soccer is the world's most popular sport. Of course, it seems like Americans like to be different, but not everyone on Pweb comes from the USA.

Good job to Spain winning the 2010 FIFA World Cup. I think Spain will be 1 in the FIFA rankings when they come out in July.

The USA plays Brazil in an international friendly on August 10th.

When will Jeff Gordon win a race? Five top fives in the last five starts, 10 top fives in 19 starts, 2nd in points, but no wins.

The British Open starts at 4 AM Eastern time, who will win? It's at the Old Course at St. Andrews, the oldest course in the world. Tiger Woods has won the last two Open Championships at St. Andrews, but he hasn't won this golf season.

LeBron James joined the Miami Heat, along with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh to form a superteam. It seems that Cleveland is decimated.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:09 am

Woo! Thanks guys :)

First of all, i'd like to congratulate Netherlands on their victory in the TaeKwonDo world cup
wait, it wasn't that what it was about? :lol:

The game was really ugly, the referee allowed dirty play too much... made me miss the game with Germany, who actually practiced a clean football.
But we won! :D over dirty play and a soft referee, football still prevailed :3

And then the goalkeeper kissed the journalist! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTMFNfUShKg

And Capdevila was looking for Shakira, but didn't find her because he had a bucket on his head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3hzuw3wZaQ

Btw, "Dani Jarque siempre con nosotros", "Dani Jarque always with us" is a memorial for Dani Jarque, promise football player and friend of Iniesta who suffered sudden death syndrome just one year ago.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:26 pm

I was going to say something but Baseball sucks this year! :twisted:

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:02 pm

I love Yadi. He's always been one of my favorites on the Cards lineup and tonight was awesome. Sticking up for his team after some douche runs his mouth at the press and then answering with his bat.

Text: http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/08/10/1 ... eedID=3578
Video: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5454129
The enemy's fly is down.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:43 pm

I am kind of in to baseball this year. So far I've gone to two Mariners games and am going to SD vs SF in SD and maybe this weekend in SF too. Woo baseball?

My mother is itching for football to start so it is pretty funny to watch her try to watch baseball.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:28 pm

Happy birthday, Colby! A grand slam and the sweep for first place!
The enemy's fly is down.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:00 pm

Happy birthday, Colby! A grand slam and the sweep for first place!
Like.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:41 am

even with injuries plaguing almost every important player over this season, the red sox have still been fun to watch. they refuse to let me give up hope! I love baseball.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:40 am

The Sox are always a great team to follow. To the M's, please let your new manager be the lucky rabbits foot you need so much.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Claire » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:37 pm

I can't wait for football I can't wait for football I can't wait for football!

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:21 pm

I can't wait for college football! :)

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:38 am

AARON RODGERS.

That is all.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:40 pm

COLLEGE FOOTBALL!

I don't even know who my team is playing this weekend but my brother's/mom's team is on tonight. My mom is already complaining about how late she's going to have to stay up because of it being in Hawaii, haha.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:07 pm

First game of the season.
First game in the new stadium.
70-7 win.
Lots of beer at the tailgate.
It was a good night.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby jotabe » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:34 am

uh... what about the basketball world cup? no basketball fans here? :D

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:15 pm

Dear Chargers,

I know it's like tradition at this point to start out the season losing and turn things around a few games in but I for one think it's time to start a new tradition. It's called "winning from the start."

Sincerely,
Me

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:34 am

Woo! go Chiefs!

you didn't actually accomplish anything offensively, but you did score three touchdowns in spite of yourselves.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:48 pm

Ugh, frustrating game. 99 yard return? Really? It's not like something similar hasn't happened already this season...

Delays of game? False starts? Bah!

The Chargers lost this one for themselves.

I guess the good news is, they have two losses under their belts. Maybe one more and then they can start winning the rest of the season. In the meantime, can someone fix Merriman? I have a bad feeling he's gone after this year.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Hmm. I still feel relatively unsure about my Eagles. The O-Line is complete rubbish, and can't keep the pocket together for more than 2 or 3 seconds. That's the main reason I'm glad we went with Vick, but it doesn't change the fact that he's being hurried and maybe 20% of his throws never have a chance simply because he's got no time to even find a receiver. The Defense is better, but not without holes. Very exploitable holes. And frankly, wins against the Lions and Jaguars don't do a whole lot to allay my fears. If we can win convincingly over the Redskins, it'll do a lot to convince me otherwise, but I don't yet have strong hopes for the playoffs.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:43 pm

my mind boggles that the Chiefs are 3-0.

hell, I'm shocked the Seahawks are 2-1 and that the Rams actually WON a game!

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:33 pm

I'm shocked [...] the Rams actually WON a game!
At home, even! No pressure, now that we've won as many games as we did last year and we're only 3 weeks in.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Claire » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:36 pm

I'm shocked [...] the Rams actually WON a game!
At home, even! No pressure, now that we've won as many games as we did last year and we're only 3 weeks in.
I love Sam Bradford. So glad that the Rams are actually fun to watch this season.

Tonight...go pack go!!!

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:52 am

No Mizzou fan can ever love Sam Bradford, even if he plays for the Rams. Last season was so delicious for me. :)

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:08 pm

SO disappointed in the undisciplined, sloppy play of the Packers. Thumbs up Aaron Rodgers, Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, and Jermicheal Finley. Thumbs down Darren Colledge, Mark Tauscher and Chad Clifton... So basically the Offensive Line was crap and the QB and receivers were great. A-Rod once again showed why he's the best young passer in the league, with great accuracy and efficient play - completing almost every pass and finding the right guy at the right time. Finley is going to be a monster, a nightmare for defenses for years to come. Jennings keeps plugging away at the game's best corners, and Driver is ageless as well as fearless. The defense was so-so - Clay Matthews was still going 100 miles an hour and even Barnett showed up; Woodson played hard and Nick Collins - despite his altercation with a fan who allegedly spit on him and called him a racial slur after the game - played hard too. But a record-setting night of penalties and boneheaded mistakes cost us a win over a team that we made look WAY better than it actually is (no, the Bears are NOT for real - they LOST the game against the Lions and they SHOULD have lost against the Packers - and a win over a reeling Dallas was no big feat.)

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:17 pm

I love football and hockey but October baseball is the s***! 8)

Return to “Milagre Town Square”