ESP(Web)N

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Hector.Victorious
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Hector.Victorious » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:44 pm

sigh. I miss good hockey.

I'm in Atlanta and the Thrashers are horrible. Worst team in the NHL.

I need to see some good Junior hockey before I go insane.
"Killing Buggers was not homicide."
"No, I guess it was insecticide."

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:38 pm

notre dame may be playing rice in a bowl game, yay kimmie, stick it to the irish!

and arizona beat arizona state (yay for alea!) in arizona's first winning season in a long time.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Valentine » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:01 pm

Dammit, Dammit, Dammit.
11-2.
I don't know HOW Hixon missed that pass. I really, really don't. This was the sloppiest we've played since the Browns.
I *did* think we'd easily beat Dallas (even with Romo back), Carolina, and Minnesota. Now I'm starting to stress a little. I hope the Burress situation doesn't hurt morale too much, for too long.. Hixon's a fine replacement; he just needs to pull things together..

On the other hand, go Florida!!

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Valentine » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:50 pm

GIANTS WON THE NFC EAST!!!! WOO!!!!!
GO STEELERS!!! That last few minutes of the fourth quarter was astonishingly amazing!!!! THANK YOU TONY ROMO FOR COMING BACK AND LOSING! Can't wait to play you next week!!!
And Miami won!!!! 16-3, I might add. If they can beat the Jets, they may be in the playoffs!!! Of course, I like Miami and the Jets both, so that'll be a fun game for me no matter what.
Gah, I know we lost today, but I'm in SUCH a good mood now that we have the NFC East in our pocket. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:52 pm

You can have the NFC East, just beat Dallas next week. Thanks.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:25 am

So, amazingly enough, the Chargers have gotten better luck at the end of the season and just have to defeat Denver on Sunday to move on. It should be a fun game to watch since my brothers are all going to be here screaming along with my mom.

Anyone else's teams going on past the regular season?
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Valentine » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:37 am

Sorry GS...I don't know how we didn't beat Dallas. :(
The Panthers/Giants game was AWESOME, though.
Also, I can't wait for this week vs the Vikings. Should be a tough game..
I'm most excited about the Miami vs Jets verdict, though. I want Miami to win, but I don't hate the Jets, so I won't be mad if they go to the Playoffs instead. Helps that our quarterback used to play for the Jets though - he'll be out to win. :D

And, yes, at least two of my three teams will be going on - hopefully all three!! But the Giants are my number one :wink:

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:28 am

Barring a miracle, the Eagles will not be in the playoffs. And they don't deserve to be. Frankly, I don't know how many times in one season I can say "They should have won that game". Very frustrating. Thank God for the Phillies, or else I wouldn't be taking this nearly as well as I am.

And not to rag on your Chargers Alea, but I don't think any west coast teams should make the playoffs. Those two divisions stink. The fact that a number of teams that are better than Denver/San Diego or Arizona are going to miss the playoffs is crazy.

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Valentine » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Gah, I agree completely, Ed. No offense at all meant to Alea :)
It's just - you're going to have 10-5 teams miss out, only to have teams like the Chargers (currently 7-8) have the option to get in? Or the Cardinals (8-7) clinching their division?
I can't complain though. My team clinched their division, has a first week bye, and homefield advantage through the playoffs. At least I can be happy about that :D

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:58 pm

the Chargers (currently 7-8)
I think this should be read:

"the Chargers, currently 7 and cool"

That's how I read it anyway. Alea, you might get off the hook because 7-Cool is a whole lot better than 7-8. :wink:

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Valentine » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:00 pm

Hahaha, silly smiley. :P
7 - Cool works for me. 8)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:36 pm

That's fine that you feel they shouldn't move on. But I do think there was a s*** call in the beginning of the season that essentially stole a win from them, not to mention their strength of schedule wasn't exactly on the low end (with the exception of KC and the Raiders, the teams they played weren't exactly easy). Couple this with the fact that they had some injuries, most of their losses were down to field goals and were almost literally at the last second (I know, I know; a loss is a loss but they were freaking close and very good games, most of them), I feel like they're better than their record may indicate because it could so easily have been the record everyone was predicting (Superbowl bound, Awesome - Few).

7 - cool seems accurate.

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Valentine » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:31 pm

Miami's in the playoffs!!! WOOOOO!!!!
GREAT game; those last two plays cracked me up, lol.

We'll pretend the Vikings/Giants game never happened, because it didn't really count :wink:

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:38 pm

Alea,

I'll definitely give you the Denver game and you have had a bunch a close losses, but there have also been close wins. I mean the Chargers beat the Chiefs twice by a combined 3 points. But San Diego always place the Colts tough, it should be an interesting match up.

Nic,

You better be ready for some serious trash talking next week because you know who is going to end up playing.

Kim,

I seen your boy Chase Clements and your Rice Owls kicking some ass today. Very nicely done. Congrats.

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Valentine » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:02 am

Oh, I'm ready :wink: Just go out and kill some Vikings this week, and then we'll talk :D

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:24 am

The Pac 10 has gone 3-0 in bowl games so far, they were only expected to win one of those and two total, suck it haterz. :)

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:33 pm

Kim,

I seen your boy Chase Clements and your Rice Owls kicking some ass today. Very nicely done. Congrats.
Weren't they awesome?! I was at the game (I was actually on TV for all of about 2 seconds.) I'm so glad someone watches and thinks of me!
-Kim

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:48 pm

Congrats, Kimmie!

Pac 10 now 4-0 in bowl games, up to USC to take down Penn state and take the conference unbeaten through bowl season. :)

now if BC can just come back and beat Vandy.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:04 pm

Trojans won! Pac10 goes undefeated in the bowl season. :D

all the other games are just gravy.

predicted final rankings:

1. Florida
2. USC
3. Texas
4. Oklahoma
5. Alabama/Utah (I still think Utah are really likely to upset here)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:35 pm

Mark got to watch the first half of the game before we had to leave. And he taught me what a "red shirt" player is. He said I now know more about college football than most people. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:31 am

This is only tangentially related due to all the football games on today, but my dad got at 50" plasma TV for Christmas. I was at my parents' house today for the first time since they set it up and upgraded their cable to HD and it looks freakin' awesome.
The enemy's fly is down.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:57 am

I mean the Chargers beat the Chiefs twice by a combined 3 points.
Well, you see, Adam cursed the Chargers those games, so I was having to do all sorts of activities (dancing, virgin sacrifices, door-to-door candy sales, etc.) to appease the Football Gods.

Okay, I have no argument for the close wins...I just think they deserve a shot because they've sucked for so long and finally showed some hope these past few years.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:55 am

I understand that you think they should have a shot (and rightfully so) and I don't have any room to talk considering that I root for a team that tied the Bengals (yuck), but I just wish that were some way to make sure that really good football teams don't miss the playoffs. I mean the Patriots went 11-5 with a QB that hasn't started since his senior year in high school. The fact that the aren't in the playoffs is incredible.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:32 am

this talk reminds me that despite everyone claiming to want a playoff, no one ever stops to think that it wouldn't be the top 8 ranked teams getting a berth, it would be the top team from each of the six major conferences, and then the two highest rated other teams, with one of those slots going to a non top six conference if they're ranked in the top eight.

so most years you'd probably guarantee the number one and number two college teams make the playoffs, but there would be scenarios where it's likely the number three, four or five teams might not make the playoff.

it would undoubtedly cause an equal amount of bitching, but I still think college football needs a playoff badly. :)

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Valentine » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:19 pm

Ready Ed?

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:54 am

You best believe I am ready. I am currently debating whether or not I should get tickets to the game. I will probably opt to stay warm in a home or a bar and watch it with some buds.

I just can't wait for a repeat of what happened the last time Eagles went to the Meadowlands.

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Valentine » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:58 pm

I'll admit I'm slightly nervous.
That said, I chalk up the Giants' loss to the Eagles to basically two things - Jacobs's injury and the Burress incident (including loss of morale). We've had a couple weeks to rest, and Jacobs should at his best. We left him out of the Vikings game for a reason; We really didn't have anything riding on a win. I'm hoping his knee is all healed up for Sunday, and it should be. Hixon and Ward have been proving themselves in the later portion of the season, especially, and so we're ready. You'll remember that we beat you early on this year in November, as well as both games in 2007. You know what Brandon Jacobs can do. :wink:
And we have in out for the Eagles - you took us out of the playoffs in 2006. You've got a tough team; I'll admit, Philly winning was my worst-case scenario. I would have much rather won a lackluster game against the Cardinals, and let the Panthers take care of the Vikings. But we're still tough, and we'll pull through. McNabb and Westbrook will play a good game, and I look forward to every gut-wrenching, tense moment of it, until the very end when I celebrate surviving one more round :wink:
Can't wait to get another Superbowl!

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:14 pm

The only weapon on offense that scares me is Jacobs. And I think the Eagles front seven can handle him this time around. I mean they just did handle Adrian Peterson save for a 40 yard run, so I'm fairly confident. What I can't wait for is Eli Manning under pressure. The only reason he had gotten better at handling Eagles pressure was because he had a safety blanket in Plax. I mean he would get blitzed and he would just put it up to Plax, which wasn't a bad plan because he is typical 5 inches taller than most corners and would be most likely be in single coverage. I think Eli is good for at least two picks.

Now, the Giants front seven are very good. I think Westbrook can have some success (or at least more success than he had against the Vikings). I also think Buckhalter can break some decent gains if they put him in the game while Westbrook is lined up at wide receiver. But ultimately it is going to come down to if the Eagles can pass block. I don't think the Giants secondary is good at all. I think they get a lot of help because how much pressure the front seven get on the QB. If they can protect McNabb, I think the Eagles win big. The big question is, can they protect McNabb? And I don't have an answer for that. I guess we will see.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:33 am

Ever wonder how that amazing yellow line happens?

here's a video that explains.

http://www.fandome.com/video/107610/The ... llow-Line/

they didn't mention that it takes an entire truck of equipment for the yellow line

and a whole second truck for the line of scrimmage line.

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Valentine » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:19 pm

Well, s***.
Seasons over, now...for all my teams...

Go Ravens.
*sigh*

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:38 pm

I think Eli is good for at least two picks.
Yup. That sounds about right Nic. You can't pick the ravens up now. It is way too late.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:55 pm

I'm rooting for the Cardinals. Cause Alea's from AZ and there's some heisman winning usc player on their team, even if he's not playing. :-P

I was glad to see the Panthers go down, glad to see the Ravens win. those two games went well. Then the two teams I didn't want to win won today. :( so I guess I was 50/50 on picks this week. LOL

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Eddie Pinz » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:38 am

The fact that I am not nervous about the Eagles playing the Cardinals scares me a little bit. The Cardinals have played really well the past two games, but I don't think they can beat the Eagles. Am I wrong for being that confident? If I am, someone please slap some sense into me.

I really don't have a rooting interest in the other game, except the fact that the Eagles lost to the Ravens and beat the Steelers. I also stand to win a good sum of money if the Steelers make it to the Super Bowl on a silly beat that I made at the beginning of the season that I thought had no chance of winning. So I guess I do have a rooting interest.

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:44 pm

I am nervous about the Eagles playing the Cardinals. They've been completely unable to play well consistently this season. They've had a few good games, and now I expect them to blow this one. Or it could just be that I'm a Philadelphia fan, and therefore expect to be disappointed (I still can't quite believe the Phillies won the World Series).

I do think an all Pennsylvania Super Bowl would be kinda awesome.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:49 pm

woohoo! go cardinals

I didn't watch much of the first half, but saw the Cards go up by a big lead. then I watched the second half, and from the moment I was watching they just played badly. after they lost the lead, I muted it and didn't pay as much attention. I looked up a little later and saw they'd regained the lead. I started to turn the volume up but decided I didn't want to jinx them again and left the volume down but this time half paid attention. That seemed to trick the football gods as AZ pulled out the win! :)

Return to “Milagre Town Square”