Currently Reading / Just Read (Books/stories/whatever)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:09 pm

When I have time to breathe I want to read that one.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:42 pm

I didn't enjoy it as much as most other seem to. It was a little heavy on the details for me.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:40 am

I finished Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging (posted in the book club) and CotM, which just served to remind me of 1) how badly I want a real-life Jane, 2) how much I love Ender-as-Peter, and 3) how much I love/respect the character of Ender.

I also finished A Knight of the Word (I don't like how graphic it can be -violence that sometimes gets described and sometimes is just hinted at-which is where I think my discomfort comes into play when I read this series) and can't wait to get to the last in the trilogy (Angel Fire East or something close to that). But, it'll have to wait.

I have Ender In Exile and the IGMS anthology that I have to get to since they're only 10 day loans. I'll be reading the Enderverse stories in IGMS, then EiE, then go back and read the other stories in IGMS.

Then the last in my trilogy.

After that, I might pick up Deathly Hallows again...I don't know. I need to read at least 3 more books (I think, though I'd have to check my spreadsheet to be sure) before the 25th to stay on track of my annual goal and after these couple books, I won't have anything I feel I need to read.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:31 am

3) how much I love/respect the character of Ender.

After that, I might pick up Deathly Hallows again...I don't know. I need to read at least 3 more books (I think, though I'd have to check my spreadsheet to be sure) before the 25th to stay on track of my annual goal and after these couple books, I won't have anything I feel I need to read.
cough*A Mind of its Own*cough

As for 3, I'm a bit nervous about Ender in Exile. someone once explained to me why she, as a jew, could not let herself read the women of Genesis series because those figures are extremely important to her, and many of her fellow jewish women, and she didn't want her understanding of them taxed by OSC's mormon oriented mis-interpretation of them.

I'm not sure I'm ready for RWROSC's interpretation of Ender. it is with trepedition that I'll buy and read the book. :(
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Postby Darth Petra » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:00 am

I just finished "The Grapes of Wrath"...what a strange ending.
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:40 am

I finished rereading the Colour of magic. And although I know it's not well liked today, I like it quite a lot. Twoflower and Rincewind and the Luggage are an awesome trio, and the wacky supporting cast is also excellent. I love the digs at Pern and other fantasy series. :) Not a great discworld book but it's quite fun.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:47 am

Not well liked? I've never heard that! Curious, as it remains one of my favorite Discworld books, and was the first one I read. It is written a bit differently than many of the others, but that doesn't make it a great satire of the fantasy and role-playing genres.

Ah, yes, that was back in the days I cared about reading them in order. Silly me. Silly, silly me.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Valentine
Soldier
Soldier
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Valentine » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:25 pm

I just finished reading several chapters of Financial Management: Theory and Practice. Let me tell you, it's enthralling.
That's about the only book I have had time for recently :P

surditate_vero
Launchie
Launchie

Postby surditate_vero » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:42 pm

Luet wrote of Eifelheim
I didn't enjoy it as much as most other seem to. It was a little heavy on the details for me.
Yeah, no kidding. It's however, a very accurate portrayal of the medieval worldview. I quite liked the book for its implicit argument that while we have a hard time understanding the medieval period and its thought processes, if medieval people were to suddenly appear in our time, they'd have a hard time understanding our thought processes and 'translating' modernity in such a way as to fit in their worldview.

I'm now on Sara Douglass' Crucible series, which focuses on Europe during the Black Death - fun times, indeed....
What evil is there in deafness, truly?
~Cicero

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:39 pm

As long as there are no time-limits imposed (for book club purposes), I'll read A Mind of Its Own. My main library and a lot of the branches are in transition between a temporary building and their new permanent buildings, so they're über-slow in getting books out of storage.
As for 3, I'm a bit nervous about Ender in Exile.

I'm not sure I'm ready for RWROSC's interpretation of Ender. it is with trepedition that I'll buy and read the book. :(
Yes, me too. Which would explain why I've picked it up, stared at it, started to open it, and then set it down again multiple times. We've been doing this dance since before I went to bed and I didn't stop upon waking.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:11 pm

It's however, a very accurate portrayal of the medieval worldview. I quite liked the book for its implicit argument that while we have a hard time understanding the medieval period and its thought processes, if medieval people were to suddenly appear in our time, they'd have a hard time understanding our thought processes and 'translating' modernity in such a way as to fit in their worldview.
I have enjoyed other books about medieval times, namely, Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. My husband found that book too boring but I enjoyed it enough to read it multiple times. But I wasn't able to get into Eifelheim as thoroughly.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

surditate_vero
Launchie
Launchie

Postby surditate_vero » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:58 am

Luet, I suspect you'd like Ken Follett's two books as well, along with Sara Douglass' Crucible series.

Douglass knows her history and theology cold. Follett's depictions of medieval England are spot-on and vividly detailed. They're two splendid series (okay, Follett's really two book-ends, but considering the gargantuan length of both of his novels, it's pretty much a two-book series, really).
~Cicero

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:37 am

RWROSC
Right-Wing Republican?
Really Wacky Righty?
Read Write Read?
Repeatedly Writing Retcons?
Ronald Wilson Reagan?

Okay, I think I'm done.

Edit: No I'm not.

Rythmically Whacking Raccoons?
Running and Writhing Reaganomically?
Relinquishing Whiskey Rapidly?
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:52 am

close:
Right-Wing Radio

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:52 am

Luet, I suspect you'd like Ken Follett's two books as well, along with Sara Douglass' Crucible series.
I have read Pillars of the Earth and enjoyed it, but I'll have to check out the others you mentioned.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:21 pm

just reread Equal Rites.

It's very much lesser Pratchett, but it's so damn interesting to read it in perspective of the vastly superior Tiffany Aching books, and it's interesting to see it in the context of the earlier iteration of discworld that was less developed. Particularly the proto Granny weatherwax and the wizards pre-Ridcully. In a lot of ways the Aching books are a do-over of Equal Rites.

I really hated the reference to Steven Spielberg and the older style of often referencing our world. More out of place in this book than in the first one because discworld is at this point coalescing into a coherent universe and is less an Adams-esque riff.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:17 am

(From Hell):
Also, anyone who's into epic poetry (think Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, for instance) might also like Milton's Paradise Lost.
I've actually been looking to at least try reading this for awhile now. Is there any particular version (e.g. editor) that people recommend?

dgf hhw

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:35 pm

I read Candide this weekend. I think I appreciated the humour more when I was telling the story to people afterward. Good stuff all around. I'll have to read more Voltaire.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:11 pm

A new book called Helix by Eric Brown. The beginning and the middle are both very good but the end moved waaaaaaaaay too fast. 7/10

Pebble in the Sky--Isaac Asimov is another one I'm reading. I'm only a couple of chapters in but it is very good.

Also, I'm almost finished with The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlin. Extremely good book. I was a little put off with the new dialect spoken by Luna's inhabitants but after a while you get used to it and even learn to ignore it.

Another book that I finished reading a little while back was 1984 by George Orwell. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 8.5/10

I also started reading War of the Worlds online but had to quit because it's hard reading a book on the computer. I'm going to go check it out from the library and finish it.

Since The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is a library book and I've been going kind of slow reading it, I'm planning on finishing it before I buy EinE so that I won't be overdue. I know for a fact that I'll put off reading Harsh Mistress to read EinE. :D
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:15 am

I have ~100 pages left of New Moon and I have to say, I sort of hate it. The plot, if you can call it that, is ridiculous. I can only make it two or so pages at a time before I have to take a break because even in my most pathetic moments, I have nothing on Bella.

Not sure what book is next; the books I want to read are all on hold at the library.

Jakt
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Jakt » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:27 am

I've been putting off reading Shadow of the Giant for about 4 days now, I read all the other shadow books last week. I guess I'm afraid that if I finish this one then I'll have no more in the series, and I honestly hate that feeling because then I have to reconnect with brand new characters and sometimes the good ones are hard to find. I guess I still have Ender in Exile to look forward to since I've been delaying it until I finished all the others.

Anyone have any post-Ender's Game recommendations? I was thinking about reading The Last Kingdom because I've heard good things about it but it is short and I'd finish it quickly.

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:31 am

I just got through with "The Stars, Like Dust" and I was very disappointed. I am happy that Asimov himself agreed with me and called it his worst book.

The problem I saw with it was that it wasn't very well planned out. It seemed he rushed through it almost as if he woke up bored one morning and said, "I'm going to write a book to pass the time" and "tSLD" was the outcome. You know that feeling you have for the first fifty or so pages of a book where you know that it is the beginning? Well, I felt like that for the entire book. It was over before I was able to accept the fact that I had passed the first fifty pages!

6/10 (My lowest rating yet for an Asimov book)

When I'm done with Asimov I'm probably going to read Herbert and Heinlin. I tried reading "Dune" before but quit. I'll try it again while being excited this time about it.
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:05 pm

post Ender's Game genre authors to look into reading

Scott Lynch
Robin Hobb
Terry Pratchett
Anne McCaffrey

much darker authors:
George RR Martin
Scott R Bakkar
Neil Gaiman

other Card you might want to read:
Songmaster
Hart's Hope
The Alvin Maker Series
Pastwatch
Lovelock
Lost Boys

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:30 pm

Neil Gaiman! Neil Gaiman! Neil Gaiman!

(sorry, I have to do that anytime someone mentions him)
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:33 pm

Robert Jordan's The Eye of the World. A friend of mine has been trying to get me to read the Wheel of Time books for years and I guess I finally am.
The enemy's fly is down.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:31 am

post Ender's Game genre authors to look into reading
John Steakley (for Armor).
other Card you might want to read:
Worthing Saga.

dgf hhw

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:36 pm

Just like everyone else on the planet.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:36 pm

I finished rereading the Colour of magic. And although I know it's not well liked today, I like it quite a lot. Twoflower and Rincewind and the Luggage are an awesome trio, and the wacky supporting cast is also excellent. I love the digs at Pern and other fantasy series. :) Not a great discworld book but it's quite fun.
have you seen the TV adaption? its pretty hilarious.

adding on to the list of post-EG reading material, I'd suggest Terry Brooks, though I'm not a huge fan of the original Sword of Shannara, the series gets much better as it progresses.

for everyone approaching EiE with trepidation, have faith. OSC's beliefs are the same as they were when he wrote EG, and I didn't pick up on any hidden "wacko righty agenda"

also, for non-fiction I'm currently -c-r-u-i-s-i-n-g- making my way through Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:17 pm

also, for non-fiction I'm currently -c-r-u-i-s-i-n-g- making my way through Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln.
Brilliant book, btw! one of my favorites. :)

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:23 pm

Brilliant book, btw! one of my favorites. :)
have you read The Miracle at Philadelphia?
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:35 pm

locke, I have to say that I support your recommendation of Anne McCaffery one hundred percent.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:42 pm

locke, I have to say that I support your recommendation of Anne McCaffery one hundred percent.
especially older Anne McCaffrey. both the Talent series, and the Pern series are very good. I'm not a big fan of the new Pern novels with Todd McCaffrey.

surditate_vero
Launchie
Launchie

Postby surditate_vero » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:46 am

I read Candide this weekend. I think I appreciated the humour more when I was telling the story to people afterward. Good stuff all around. I'll have to read more Voltaire.
Hee. Oh, Voltaire.... Candide was quite a good read, and short as well. I have to agree - you don't really appreciate Voltaire until a while after you've read him: "Oh, so that's what was so funny about him....."

I'm currently re-reading Lolita by Nabokov. Every now and then I like to read books that were once on the Church's index of prohibited books - sometimes I think that's the best reading list out there...is it wrong of me to think that?
~Cicero

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:13 am

Banned books are very often some of the best books. People can't stand a good read that makes them think.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:27 am

Not to open a big ol' can of worms, or to single out either of you two, but...

Yes, there are many books on the banned book list that "makes people think" and many that were banned because of stupid reasons (Harry Potter, Where's Waldo spring to mind).

However, it's fashionable to read banned books that aren't objectionable anymore or not objectionable to you. I'll bet there are some books and some subjects out there that repulse you enough that you wouldn't read them. Go read those books, or try to publish a picture book on child pornography and then talk to me about freedom of the press and enjoying banned books.

[/rant]

(this, of course, is not entirely because of what you said, but as a result of working in a library and having this discussion multiple times with people who get all on their high horse about banned books)
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”