Currently Reading / Just Read (Books/stories/whatever)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:20 pm

Okay, now that I've made it through all my library obtained movies and my reading club book, I just have to start and finish Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, then EG...and maybe ES. P&P&Z will be started today.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:06 pm

Just finished my first "one-sitting" read of a book since last year. Once again the one-sitting involved a volume of Charles Stross' Merchant Prince series. Each of these books is like a parallel universe hopping season of 24 with a Jill Bauer rather than a Jack Bauer, they read fast and messy and very very fun. The Trade of Queens is the sixth and final book in the series, all the books are only about 300 pages long. So it's a complete series now (no waiting to find out what happens) and it's consistently entertaining.

Does it ever become really great? Occasionally. Not great literature but really fun soft sci-fi/fantasy lit. :)
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Carrot hamburgler

Postby Graff^ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:32 pm

Currently reading
The Lost Soul
Where does friendship end and love begin?

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:52 pm

My newest read is The Awakening by Kate Chopin.

GoofyLM
Launchie
Launchie

Postby GoofyLM » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:17 pm

Currently reading the Harry Potter series for the second time. Not because I thought they were great the first time, but because I need to kill time until the next Jordan/Sanderson novel comes out.

Harry Potter is an entertaining light read though. I prefer Jordan, Goodkind and Martin (I just finished re-reading all of their series since the latest Jordan book came out though).

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:29 pm

Next up: Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan. I don't read a lot of YA, but I always try to grab whatever John Green is working on.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:26 pm

Buyology- It's kind of a pop psychology book, but it was really interesting! It does a lot of brain scan studies to look at the brain response to advertising techniques. Really awesome.

Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife- essentially P&P fanfiction. It was entertaining, but trying waaaay too hard to sound like it was written in the Regency. Though, Mr. Collins getting chased by bees then falling head first into a lake and drowning was sort of hliarious. However, Lizzy being kidnapped and all the miscairrages were not fun.

currently reading: Nudge- it's about "choice architecture." It's essentially, so far, about how the way things are presented influence the choices that people make and how to encourage yourself and others to make better decisions.
-Kim

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:06 am

The law of nines by Terry Goodkind, I got into it and couldn't stop! just enough violence to keep me involved . :)

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:10 pm

I'm reading Robert Charles Wilson's Julian Comstock. Wooo for discovering a writer you hadn't gotten around to reading and wanting to get your hands on everything they've ever written. I also read Ender's Shadow: Battle School earlier today. I've also started reading novellas, and I am trying to decide whether or not its cheap to count them to getting to 50 books on the year to date. Because I am getting close if they do count.....

(Also, my taste in books has finally helped me meet boys. Success.)
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:59 am

I'm reading The Codex Alera, a series by Jim Butcher, the guy who writes The Dresden Files. It's straight fantasy, something I haven't read anything new in quite a while, so it's a fun experience for me. The first book took a while to really get started, just like the first Dresden book, but now I'm hooked and interested.

I had a theory that the series was a retelling of the main Star Wars trilogy, only with every single thing in it reversed, but then found out there are six books in the series, not three, and since the first one ended with my theoretical Death Star, that theory went out the window. Now I'm on the second book and it's picking right up. I suggest it to anyone who needs some fantasy to read.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:01 pm

I'm halfway through Jasper Fforde's newest book, Shades of Grey (thanks to EL for introducing me to him in the first place!). It's a good story. It's nice to see him move on from his other series. Thursday Next had a few good books, but the more recent ones suffered, same with the second in the Nursery Crimes series.
However, this new one is in a completely new world and reads like a bizarre dream. People can only see certain colours and are organized by class according to where they fall on the spectrum, and they also must carry around a spoon with their postal code on it as a means of identification. Yet, somehow, it's an interesting story and I am able to follow it.

I'm also reading the Scott Pilgrim series of graphic novels by Bryan Lee O'Malley. They are hilarious and so very good. I'm excited for the movie to come out.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:04 pm

Finished The Name of The Wind.

Honestly, one of the best fantasy? books I've read in a long while. I mean, the writing was so intricate and flowed so smoothly.
The plot was pretty original, and mysterious enough to leave me hungry for more and more.

The author builds up the main character, deeply enough for you to feel his emotions when he is as well. I mean, it's been a while since I've bonded with a fictional character enough to feel sad or happy or whatever when he does.
You explore his life, identify with his troubles, his cluelessness with women, and admire his strong points.

I used to occassionally think along the lines of "Ender would know what to do" or "Ender would do blabbiddyblabbidybla".

Now I'm just like, "Kvothe would blabbidyblaa". And when I have that I wish I was more intelligent feeling. Instead of going, If only I were Ender Wiggin, I'm wishing I was Kvothe instead.

Though, they are similar characters. Bean is more comparable to Kvothe though, growing up in the streets as well.

Awesome book was awesome.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:27 pm

Currently reading Changes, the latest Dresden Files book. As usual, it's amazing, and I'm glad that I knew absolutely nothing about it going in.

What's fun is that, now that the tabletop RPG is coming out and my friends and I are planning a game, is seeing how cleverly the game-makers took things from the universe and turned them into game elements. It's a very clever system, and lots of the words and phrases that they assigned specific game features to turn up in the book enough that I'm wondering how involved Jim Butcher was in the game design; maybe they influenced [/i]him[/i]. He is a pretty avid table-top player.

And on that note, the handbook for the RPG, if you're into that kind of thing, is very fun to read. It's written in-character by one of the supporting cast of the series, as he's trying to make an RPG that supports their, um, lifestyle, mostly because he's the D&D player in the series. All along the edges are comments and notes by the two other people reading and helping edit the RPG: Dresden and his secretary/talking skull. Some things are crossed out, some things are highlighted and commented, and, overall, it's a handbook that made me laugh out loud at some points.

That's a low point in your life, really. When an RPG handbook makes you laugh out loud on purpose.

I'm sad that, assuming I move to a new city assuming I find a job, I won't have a regular RPG group, and will have to form/find a new one.

Row--row.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:52 pm

Any John Scalzi fans here? I've been reading his "Old Man's War" series since he's making an appearance in my general area in the spring. I'm gonna get me some books signed :D .
I just felt like mentioning that "in the spring" is now this Friday! :D

I'm such a bandwagon jumper. I was barely even aware of his work until I knew he was coming. Turns out that "Old Man's War" and its sequels are pretty good though.

Also (unrelated) I've been reading some of Octavia E. Butler's stuff. I read "Fledgling" some weeks ago, and I'm almost finished "Dawn"; the first book in the "Lilith's Brood" collection. I also read "Parable of the Sower" some years ago. I don't know if anyone else here has read her stuff but it all seems to be very much the same: ie. themes of community, sexuality, and racism viewed in a sci-fi context through the eyes of a strong, black, female protagonist. It's like she's always telling the same story.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:16 am

Axecop!
Written by a five year old, Illustrated by a twenty-nine year old.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:29 am

Axecop!
Written by a five year old, Illustrated by a twenty-nine year old.
YES.

I was sure I had recommended it to P-Web already, but a look-over tells me I am wrong. Curse you, Adam, for stealing from my brain!

Row--row.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:50 am

I was sure I had recommended it to P-Web already, but a look-over tells me I am wrong. Curse you, Adam, for stealing from my brain!
You did.

ETA: Pweb's search function is broken. And this makes me sad.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun May 02, 2010 7:44 pm

Some recent books I've finished:

The Lightning Thief, Sea of Monsters, The Titan's Curse, and The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan. Percy Jackson & The Olympians series. (I'm waiting for the final book's Kindle price to drop near the others' prices). It was fun and light, relatively short, and a welcome distraction from the busyness of everyday life.

WWW: Wake by Robert J. Sawyer. 2010 Hugo Award nominee. I picked this up because it was a Hugo nominee and available on the Kindle, and I was pretty impressed. I'll certainly be searching for more of Sawyer's work.

The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To by D.C. Pierson. I picked this up after reading a recommendation by OSC. It was an alright read, but certainly not what I'd expect after hearing that it was a "terrific book."

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Mon May 03, 2010 8:49 pm

Speaking of reading the Hugo nominees, does anyone else want to take up the challenge of reading all of the best novel nominees by the decision date? You know you want to :P
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue May 04, 2010 12:32 am

Speaking of reading the Hugo nominees, does anyone else want to take up the challenge of reading all of the best novel nominees by the decision date? You know you want to :P
Yes.

I always try to do this, and I always wind up reading at least one book. The best two I've read in the last couple years are Eifleheim (I think this book may be one of the greats but I need to reread it) and Blindsight (VAMPIRES IN SPACE!)

I cannot decide though which one I want to read first

The point is moot, however because I have to read Martian Chronicles first.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue May 04, 2010 12:38 am

The point is moot, however because I have to read Martian Chronicles first.
:D
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue May 04, 2010 1:31 am

Hugo nominees, for those who missed it:

BEST NOVEL(699 nominating ballots) Boneshaker by Cherie Priest (Tor)
The City & The City by China Miéville (Del Rey; Macmillan UK)
Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America by Robert Charles Wilson (Tor)
Palimpsest by Catherynne M. Valente (Bantam Spectra)
Wake by Robert J. Sawyer (Ace; Penguin; Gollancz; Analog)
The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi (Night Shade)

BEST NOVELLA (375 nominating ballots)

“Act One” by Nancy Kress (Asimov’s 3/09)
The God Engines by John Scalzi (Subterranean)
“Palimpsest” by Charles Stross (Wireless)
Shambling Towards Hiroshima by James Morrow (Tachyon)
“Vishnu at the Cat Circus” by Ian McDonald (Cyberabad Days)
The Women of Nell Gwynne’s by Kage Baker (Subterranean)

BEST NOVELETTE (402 nominating ballots)

“Eros, Philia, Agape” by Rachel Swirsky (Tor.com 3/09)
“The Island” by Peter Watts (The New Space Opera 2)
“It Takes Two” by Nicola Griffith (Eclipse Three)
“One of Our Bastards is Missing” by Paul Cornell (The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction: Volume Three)
“Overtime” by Charles Stross (Tor.com 12/09)
“Sinner, Baker, Fabulist, Priest; Red Mask, Black Mask, Gentleman, Beast” by Eugie Foster (Interzone 2/09)

BEST SHORT STORY (432 nominating ballots)

“The Bride of Frankenstein” by Mike Resnick (Asimov’s 12/09)
“Bridesicle” by Will McIntosh (Asimov’s 1/09)
“The Moment” by Lawrence M. Schoen (Footprints)
“Non-Zero Probabilities” by N.K. Jemisin (Clarkesworld 9/09)
“Spar” by Kij Johnson (Clarkesworld 10/09)

BEST RELATED WORK (259 nominating ballots)

Canary Fever: Reviews by John Clute (Beccon)
Hope-In-The-Mist: The Extraordinary Career and Mysterious Life of Hope Mirrlees by Michael Swanwick (Temporary Culture)
The Inter-Galactic Playground: A Critical Study of Children’s and Teens’ Science Fiction by Farah Mendlesohn (McFarland)
On Joanna Russ edited by Farah Mendlesohn (Wesleyan)
The Secret Feminist Cabal: A Cultural History of SF Feminisms by Helen Merrick (Aqueduct)
This is Me, Jack Vance! (Or, More Properly, This is “I”) by Jack Vance (Subterranean)

BEST GRAPHIC STORY (221 nominating ballots)

Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? Written by Neil Gaiman; Pencilled by Andy Kubert; Inked by Scott Williams (DC Comics)
Captain Britain And MI13. Volume 3: Vampire State Written by Paul Cornell; Pencilled by Leonard Kirk with Mike Collins, Adrian Alphona and Ardian Syaf (Marvel Comics)
Fables Vol 12: The Dark Ages Written by Bill Willingham; Pencilled by Mark Buckingham; Art by Peter Gross & Andrew Pepoy, Michael Allred, David Hahn; Colour by Lee Loughridge & Laura Allred; Letters by Todd Klein (Vertigo Comics)
Girl Genius, Volume 9: Agatha Heterodyne and the Heirs of the Storm Written by Kaja and Phil Foglio; Art by Phil Foglio; Colours by Cheyenne Wright (Airship Entertainment)
Schlock Mercenary: The Longshoreman of the Apocalypse Written and Illustrated by Howard Tayler

BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION – LONG FORM (541 nominating ballots)

Avatar Screenplay and Directed by James Cameron (Twentieth Century Fox)
District 9 Screenplay by Neill Blomkamp & Terri Tatchell; Directed by Neill Blomkamp (TriStar Pictures)
Moon Screenplay by Nathan Parker; Story by Duncan Jones; Directed by Duncan Jones (Liberty Films)
Star Trek Screenplay by Robert Orci & Alex Kurtzman; Directed by J.J. Abrams (Paramount)
Up Screenplay by Bob Peterson & Pete Docter; Story by Bob Peterson, Pete Docter, & Thomas McCarthy; Directed by Bob Peterson & Pete Docter (Disney/Pixar)

BEST DRAMATIC PRESENTATION – SHORT FORM (282 nominating ballots)

Doctor Who: “The Next Doctor” Written by Russell T Davies; Directed by Andy Goddard (BBC Wales)
Doctor Who: “Planet of the Dead” Written by Russell T Davies & Gareth Roberts; Directed by James Strong (BBC Wales)
Doctor Who: “The Waters of Mars” Written by Russell T Davies & Phil Ford; Directed by Graeme Harper (BBC Wales)
Dollhouse: “Epitaph 1″ Story by Joss Whedon; Written by Maurissa Tancharoen & Jed Whedon; Directed by David Solomon (Mutant Enemy)
FlashForward: “No More Good Days” Written by Brannon Braga & David S. Goyer; Directed by David S. Goyer; based on the novel by Robert J. Sawyer (ABC)

BEST EDITOR, LONG FORM (289 nominating ballots)

Lou Anders
Ginjer Buchanan
Liz Gorinsky
Patrick Nielsen Hayden
Juliet Ulman

BEST EDITOR, SHORT FORM (419 nominating ballots)

Ellen Datlow
Stanley Schmidt
Jonathan Strahan
Gordon Van Gelder
Sheila Williams

BEST PROFESSIONAL ARTIST (327 nominating ballots)

Bob Eggleton
Stephan Martiniere
John Picacio
Daniel Dos Santos
Shaun Tan

BEST SEMIPROZINE (377 nominating ballots)

Ansible edited by David Langford
Clarkesworld edited by Neil Clarke, Sean Wallace, & Cheryl Morgan
Interzone edited by Andy Cox
Locus edited by Charles N. Brown, Kirsten Gong-Wong, & Liza Groen Trombi
Weird Tales edited by Ann VanderMeer & Stephen H. Segal

BEST FAN WRITER (319 nominating ballots)

Claire Brialey
Christopher J Garcia
James Nicoll
Lloyd Penney
Frederik Pohl

BEST FANZINE (298 nominating ballots)

Argentus edited by Steven H Silver
Banana Wings edited by Claire Brialey and Mark Plummer
CHALLENGER edited by Guy H. Lillian III
Drink Tank edited by Christopher J Garcia, with guest editor James Bacon
File 770 edited by Mike Glyer
StarShipSofa edited by Tony C. Smith

BEST FAN ARTIST (199 nominating ballots)

Brad W. Foster
Dave Howell
Sue Mason
Steve Stiles
Taral Wayne

THE JOHN W. CAMPBELL AWARD FOR BEST NEW WRITER (NOT A HUGO AWARD) (356 nominating ballots)

Saladin Ahmed
Gail Carriger
Felix Gilman *
Seanan McGuire
Lezli Robyn *
* Second year of eligibility

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri May 07, 2010 7:56 pm

I just bought everything except Julian Comstock (and Wake, which I already had). This summer is super-packed, but since I'm already trying to finish 52 books this year (and failing; I'm seven books behind where I should be), using those five as part of the 52 will (hopefully) work out nicely.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri May 07, 2010 8:54 pm

Oh mah word, I just finished reading Blackout by Connie Willis. It is seriously good, but holy crap, it ends on a complete cliffhanger and the sequel doesn't come out till July.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat May 08, 2010 5:56 am

I told you! Neither of my library systems have All Clear on order yet.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Haven
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Haven » Sat May 08, 2010 4:40 pm

I just read His Majesties Dragon... and am now reading this 5 book series...
very interesting. its set during the Napoleonic war plus dragons lol they are like the air force and i got to say i like it... it was hard to get used to at first cuz the books completely embody that era and dialog took getting used to but i liked it.
Find out who you are... And do it on purpose.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue May 11, 2010 1:24 pm

Circ desk reading is The Martian Chronicles - I have to admit, I'm a little disappointed more people didn't try to read this Book Club selection. It is an easy read but isn't dumbed down and it tells a good story (series of shorts, really). It is one of the first Sci-Fi books I ever read. Love it.

You Couldn't Ignore Me If You Tried. I'm beyond excited to start this one.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:51 pm

I finally read all 5 books of Homecoming in my absence. Also, the second and third books of the Auralia Cycle by Jeff Overstreet, which were fantastic.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon May 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

It's better than I expected so far, though I have to admit, I'm not all that far into it. While at the dentist's office, one of the receptionists asked me what it was and when she heard "vampire," asked if I read Twilight. I told her I had and this was far and away better, no comparison. I don't know much about ol' Lincoln, so I'm curious as to how much of the non-vampire stuff is true and how well they worked the vampire stuff into it.

Also, is anyone here on Goodreads? Anyone willing to join? (If enough people did, we could start a Pweb group). I thought it'd be just one more place I'd forget about where I'm signed up to keep track of things but I've found I like list-making enough to keep it up.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Mon May 17, 2010 8:11 pm

What is Goodreads?

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon May 17, 2010 8:14 pm

http://www.goodreads.com/

Take a look.

(It's in a book! It's reading rainbow. I can go anywhere, friends to know...)

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Mon May 17, 2010 8:19 pm

Sounds like a great idea, I've read so many different books that I've forgotten a significant portion and I'm always looking for new books to read when I have time - like during the summer.

I'll probably join up sometime.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon May 17, 2010 8:21 pm

I'm on there:
http://www.goodreads.com/lutya

And I know that Kelly, Ollie, and Steph have accounts.
Last edited by Luet on Tue May 18, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon May 17, 2010 8:30 pm

Haven
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Haven » Tue May 18, 2010 1:53 pm

Yay! i added you guys :) that makes me happy lol that you guys have goodreads... :D

oh and i have to agree with Cezen... The Name of The Wind is on my top 5 list... I LOVE that book. and the next one, The Wise Man's Fear is hands down my most anticipated book... ever.
Find out who you are... And do it on purpose.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”