Currently Reading / Just Read (Books/stories/whatever)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:55 am

Currently reading Snow Crash, with I, Robot on deck.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:45 am

I like Kavalier and Clay, but it's full of Chabonisms. Not unreadable like Yiddish Policeman's union* but you'll still often come across characters who get out of bed to perambulate to the window. There's a bit of what I felt was unjustified political correctness in a transformation one character undergoes but I could have just been naive. Overall it's a very good read if overlong.

*YPU basically introduces a mystery, forgets it exists and then proceeds to develop the following for four hundred pages: "oh waily waily! Americans hate dah Jews, and Russians hate dah Jews, and everyone hate deh Jews! waily waily wa..." mystery solved.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:38 am

KAVALIER AND CLAY was in dire need of an editor. Easily 1/3 of that book was extraneous. That said, the other 2/3 were very good, but Chabon's best is WONDER BOYS and nothing else he's done has super-duper impressed me.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:20 pm

I finally finished The Curious Incident of the Dog at Nighttime, which took me a little while to get invested in but I found really quite lovely. It was written from the perspective of an autistic 11 year old, and it was a really cool narrative voice. Much recommended if you're in the mood for a change of pace.
I really liked that book and this makes me want to go reread it.

As mentioned in the meat thread, over vacation I read The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan, followed by Slaughterhouse by Gail Eisnitz.

In the last week or two, I reread Andromeda Strain, inspired by the TNT movie, and then In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto also by Michael Pollan. I'm now about to start Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think. I'm on quite the non-fiction kick.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:33 pm

KAVALIER AND CLAY was in dire need of an editor. Easily 1/3 of that book was extraneous. That said, the other 2/3 were very good, but Chabon's best is WONDER BOYS and nothing else he's done has super-duper impressed me.
Agreed. And yet I'll keep buying and reading his books because... well... his words are so yummy.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:17 am

My dad has been bugging me pretty much since I got up here to read Escape from the Box: The Wonder of Human Potential and I repeatedly told him, "maybe later." It's an inspirational book, if you couldn't tell by the title, by a former North Viatnamese POW, retired AF officer Colonel Edward Hubbard.

I finally started reading it.
It's short, only 160 pages long, and a very easy read but it's taking me hours to get through it. I'll only make it a page or two before I put it down, stare off into space, and just start thinking. Lucky for me, it's stuff I need to hear.

If magazines count in this thread, I'm reading Sept. 2007's issue of Runner's World to get tips on how to better handle running in general. Mostly obvious stuff, but some nice little nuggets appear.

Next up on the book list is Shade's Children-Nix, Queste-Sage, and Bid Time Return - Matheson.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:12 am

Part two in the Emberverse series. ("The Protector's War"-S.M. Stirling)

Good plot, I just don't like the writing style. Too many details with not enough plot movement. He just wants to make very long books or something.

Would i recommend? Perhaps, depending on the ending of the series.

Rating: 3/5
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:56 am

Just read Fahrenheit 451. Great book, fast read. I really liked the Clarisse McClellan character. Quite a bit, actually. I heard that her ending is quite a bit different in the play version for those that don't know. (Read: Opposite of the book.)

Currently working my way through The Fountainhead. I believe it to be, at least at this point, more entertaining than Atlas Shrugged. I'm still about half way through it, but it's quite a large book.

Future plans? I dunno. I'll probably just steal someones highschool summer reading list and finish it off. Books like "The Catcher in the Rye", "Catch-22", "The Scarlet Letter", "King Leopold's Ghost", and "Cradle to Cradle". I don't actually intend to read all of them, but I'll probably knock out a few this summer.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:40 pm

Night Watch. I just got past your signature, locke.

[Edit] ...or what I was sure was in your signature. Did you just change it? Or am I crazy and it was really someone else? (and if so, who?)
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Postby Darth Petra » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:13 pm

My summer reading list, submitted for your review (the ones in bold I've read):
1. Mien Kampf, Adolph Hitler
2. The Vicomte de something in French/10 years later, Alexandre Dumas
3. The Man in the Iron Mask, Alexandre Dumas
4. 1984, George Orwell
5. For Whom the Bell Tolls, Ernest Hemmingway
6. Don Quixote, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
7. Wuthering heights, Emily Brontë
8. The Restaurant at the End of the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
9. Life, the Universe, and Everything, Douglas Adams
10. So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish, Douglas Adams
11. The Mystery of the Yellow Room, Gaston Leroux
12. Louise de something in french, Alexandre Dumas
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:33 am

was my signature for a while. then I changed it to this. probably will change it back after a week or so when I finally get to go home for an all too short vacation.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:25 pm

4. 1984, George Orwell
Wait, no Mostly Harmless? Almost the complete trilogy there.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:10 am

just finished a reread of Guards Guards! I hadn't realized how much of Shrek was cribbed from that book, or I'd forgotten it. made me want to rewatch Shrek actually.

Borders was closed already when I went out to the theatre tonight to see Get Smart. :(

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:38 am

just finished a reread of Guards Guards! I hadn't realized how much of Shrek was cribbed from that book, or I'd forgotten it. made me want to rewatch Shrek actually.
It's amazing how little Shrek is fromShrek.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Postby Darth Petra » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:33 am

4. 1984, George Orwell
Wait, no Mostly Harmless? Almost the complete trilogy there.
AUGH! I forgot about Mostly Harmless.... The book I have has all of them in it except that one....
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:59 am

Just started reading Symantic Antics, a book about how words change meaning over the years. It's mostly a fun little book, hardly something I would take as gospel; a lot of it seems like original findings or conclusions based off of uses of the words in historical texts, and not from official records of the words (although, honestly, how would one research such things without original research?), but it sure is fun to learn that "arch" as in "archenemy" was used in the 1600s to mean "crafty, cunning, or sly," as in "he is an arch fellow," or that "attic" refers to the Greek architectural style, which would leave an extra story on a building, or that "accolade" originally refers to a knighting ceremony, specifically French knighting ceremonies where the knight would be embraced around the neck, which is the actual translation of accoller.

In case you can't tell, I've only just finished the A's, but it's so fun. Best random gift my mom has ever bought me.

Row--row.

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:48 pm

Still trudging through Pratchett. Just finished Soul Music, working on Thief of Time.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:23 pm

it sure is fun to learn that "arch" as in "archenemy" was used in the 1600s to mean "crafty, cunning, or sly," as in "he is an arch fellow,"
Dude, that should definitely be brought back. We can do it, Mich, me an' you. It'll just take some arch... uh, arch-ness. Archery? Yeah, archery.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:11 pm

Atlas Shrugged officially hooked me the day before last, and I'm now blowing through that, and going through the Shadow series as well, beginning Hegemon now.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:20 am

Since there's a movie coming out soon, I read City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau recently. It's quite good.
The two sequels (People of Spark, Prophet of Yonwood) , however, are not as great. A bit too preachy.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:08 pm

Nurk, by Ursula Vernon!

I love how she uses language. The style here is notably more oriented to children than her blog or the captions on her artwork tends to be, but it is still very good and I am enjoying it a lot.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:44 pm

I'm currently making my way (slowly) through The Red Badge of Courage. I'm not sure how much I like Stephen Crane

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:10 am

Just read Fairest by Gail Carson Levine (of Ella Enchanted fame). I enjoyed it, although not quite so much as I liked some of her other takes on fairy tales. I appreciated that she was uncompromising in making the heroine unattractive for real. It was a more complex take on beauty than you get in most "beauty is only skin deep" sort of parables, or the sorts of stories in which the heroine is ugly to begin with, but when it ends she's realized her lesson and then gets to be beautiful, all the same. Also, I liked the Wicked Queen being less wicked than young, insecure, capricious, and inexperienced. I wish that the scene from the bonus material where she was seduced into accepting beauty had been left in, somehow, as it gives a foundation to understand her. But, then, I like all my characters to be sympathetic and complex, so that every villain is really a hero in disguise, and sometimes that's not practical within a given genre or detracts from the focus of the book (for people who prefer plots to psychological portraits).

I've been working my way through The Brothers Karamazov this summer and I'm almost finished with it -- I just finished "The Devil." I love Russian literature, I really do. I adore Kolya, insufferable adolescent idiot that he is. The paragraph about Ivan's unnameable depression really spoke to me in my current situation, and one of these days I'll put it in the "Quotes" thread. The various takes on dealing with the vagaries of human nature and suffering are fascinating -- Father Zossima has an idealism close to what I used to have, and that I miss. Also, the chapter "Rebellion" articulated feelings that I have about the state of the world and my understanding of it. It annoys me that in "The Devil" Ivan (and, apparently) the author, keep saying that the ideas are "Stupid" without ever actually refuting them.

I like Dostoevsky quite a bit (much more than Tolstoy). Crime and Punishment was fabulous. I like the way that he shows people acting on the logical outcomes of their ideals, and how quickly that can lead to a sort of madness. I think I'll re-read The Idiot (which I skimmed when I was taking Russian in undergrad) next.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:15 am

I finished Shade's Children by Garth Nix a few days ago and it was awesome. Not that it's telling the exact same story but it gave me the same chills I got from Life As We Knew It and Hunger Games.

I got two more books from the library (the one I've read was...blegh after Shade's Children) while I eagerly await the 4 I have on hold/en route from the other libraries with bigger/better collections.

So, technically, next up is a Jane Austen inspired book which may or may not be something I get through quickly; I'm more in an (post)apocalyptic mood right now.

Jan, even though the City of Ember books seem to be pretty popular, you just might be the first person I know who's read them. I loved the first, managed to convince myself to finish the second, and never bothered with the third.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

starfox
Launchie
Launchie

Postby starfox » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:42 pm

I finished the excellent Eyre Affair (it so reminded me of Read or Die the TV series) and now I need something new, though I'm tempted to reread the Darkness That Comes Before.
I just finished TDTCB and it was amazing. I'm starting on The Warrior Prophet now.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:22 am

I think I liked Warrior Prophet best of the series, though The Thousandfold Thought is pretty trippy and very good as well. Kellhus really turns on the badass in that book.

starfox
Launchie
Launchie

Postby starfox » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:41 am

I think it raises some really interesting questions about free will. The characters and the world are amazing as well. The writing style is awesome too, getting inside the characters' heads like that.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:38 am

Currently reading... this (amongst other things).

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:33 am

Ah, yes, Tales of MU. I have seen the ProjectWonderful ads, and clicked to take a peek, but nothing more. Would you suggest it, zero? I have a bit of an aversion to reading huge blocks of prose, the only reason I've never been able to finish Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom being because of it, but I'll give it a whirl if someone suggests I should.

Row--row.

lyons24000
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Darn Red Shells!

Postby lyons24000 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:08 am

"Firstborn" by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter

Third in a "trilogy" (supposedly)

Better then the other awful book I just had to quit halfway through.
"This must be the end, then."-MorningLightMountain, Judas Unchained

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:23 am

I'm working my way through Terry Pratchett, still. Reading Thud!
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:16 am

Ah, yes, Tales of MU. I have seen the ProjectWonderful ads, and clicked to take a peek, but nothing more. Would you suggest it, zero? I have a bit of an aversion to reading huge blocks of prose
It seems very readable, if that's what you were wondering; I don't like reading large amounts of text on a screen, and I found this not painful at all.

As regards to the actual story and such, I don't really know if I can say one way or the other. I just say if you're looking for something to read, start reading and see how it suits you. (Although I can say that the main character has begun resembling some of the more annoying characteristics of figures like Piro from Megatokyo where I just want to yell at them and make them stop being so passive. this strip demonstrates it well, and I just spent like thirty minutes finding that one link when the rest of this post took less than a minute dammit I'm going to sleep.)

dgf hhw

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:14 pm

I just finished reading "The Girls" by Lori Lansens. It is fantastic and I highly recommend it. It's a fictional autobiography of a set of conjoined twins. I couldn't put it down, it was so compelling.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:24 pm

Just reread "Don't Lets Go to the Dogs Tonight" by Alexandra Fuller. Memoir of a white woman who grew up during the war for independence in Zimbabwe (then Rhodesia). Love it. Makes me laugh, makes me cry, makes me feel like a total wuss for the things I complain about. Strongly recommend.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:59 pm

I just got every Hellblazer that has yet to be published, and am currently starting from issue #1 (strangely, the Swamp Thing issues where Constantine first showed up are not in the collection). In any case, so far, the conclusions I have reached are thus:

John Constantine is like Samuel Vimes and Hiro Protagonist rolled into one, only in a magical world. Or... or something like that.

I saw the movie a few years ago, and honestly cannot tell you if it at all is as good as the comics. I do seem to remember liking it, though (despite Keanu Reeves not being good at acting alive), so maybe you'll like the comics, too.

Row--row.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”