Currently Reading / Just Read (Books/stories/whatever)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:03 pm

I have a horrible memory for such things, so I have to rely on goodreads (not entirely sure it's accurate) to answer your question. I can say for sure that I have read Foundation's Edge but have no idea if I've read the others. Are they as good as the original trilogy? Worth a read? I love the whole story of the Mule, I think that's my favorite part.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:13 pm

To be honest, I haven't read the originals in some time so I can't really comment on if the new books are better, but I would say that they are all worth reading. The only thing is that by the time Asimov wrote the later books he had decided to incorporate his Robot stories and some of his other works into the same continuity. So if you're not familiar with those other works some things sort of come out of left field, but it all still makes sense.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:33 pm

I think the only thing that I have read of his Robot books is I, Robot. But I'll probably try the prequels at some point. I think my brother owns them and has recommended them to me before.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 0-2006

Postby Platypi007 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:13 am

I haven't read any of the Robot books, but I've read Pebble in the Sky, which is part of the Empire series, which he also worked into the universe of his books.

Of his non-foundation universe books I've read The Gods Themselves and Nightfall, which I already mentioned. I think I've read Nemesis, too, but I can't remember. I remember the plot but I don't know if I read it or read the plot description before... If I read it it would have been when I was in high school.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:51 pm

I've read all of the Foundation, Robot, and Empire novels, "The Gods Themselves", and "Nemesis". I plan to read "The End of Eternity" after I finish re-reading "Dune Messiah".
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:06 pm

Just read yet another collection of short stories from Phillip K. Dick. This was the "Minority Report" collection. I've loved PKD for a long time and I'm slowly working my way through his entire catalog. Highly suggested for all of you.

Also read through "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and "The Girl Who Played With Fire." Will be picking up the final book in that series soon.

Right now I'm reading "When You Are Engulfed in Flames" by David Sedaris. Hilarious.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Dobie
Soldier
Soldier
Title: A real one has a link

Postby Dobie » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:10 pm

To be honest, I haven't read the originals in some time so I can't really comment on if the new books are better, but I would say that they are all worth reading. The only thing is that by the time Asimov wrote the later books he had decided to incorporate his Robot stories and some of his other works into the same continuity. So if you're not familiar with those other works some things sort of come out of left field, but it all still makes sense.
That doesn't really happen until Foundation and Earth.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:25 pm

I've not actually read any PKD and I need to.

HectorVictorious
Launchie
Launchie

Postby HectorVictorious » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:59 pm

i know it seems lame i'm talking about an enderverse book, but i just finish SotG and am waiting for EiE to arrive from shipping to my house. After i'm finished with that, does anybody have any suggestions of anting i should read while i wait for 'Shadows in Flight'?

PS i've already read pretty much all of Asimov's works (but ive only read the first of the foundation series)

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:02 pm

That doesn't really happen until Foundation and Earth.
And the prequels. I'd say only "Foundation's Edge" is free of it.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Noodle » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:17 pm

If and when you read PKD you need to come prepared to have your mind messed with. Probably start with Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Especially if you've seen "Blade Runner" It's similar, but at the same time different. PKD has lots of stories that have been made into movies, but of the ones I've read the story and seen the movie it's obvious that he is difficult to translate onto the screen.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:56 pm

I've read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" and "The Man on the High Castle" and I really wasn't impressed by either (even though I like Blade Runner, the film). They sort of turned me off to PKD.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:08 pm

i know it seems lame i'm talking about an enderverse book, but i just finish SotG and am waiting for EiE to arrive from shipping to my house. After i'm finished with that, does anybody have any suggestions of anting i should read while i wait for 'Shadows in Flight'?

PS i've already read pretty much all of Asimov's works (but ive only read the first of the foundation series)
You might enjoy some Anne McCaffrey/Pern. Dragonflight or Dragonsong would be good ones to start with.

Another might be Charles Stross' Merchant Prince series.

If you like funny books, Terry Pratchett's discworld. start with Guards Guards and do the Vimes series of books. or pick Small Gods.

Snow Crash is absurdly entertaining, as well.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:22 pm

If you like darker fantasy stuff you might want to check out some Gaiman. I recommend Neverwhere, also American Gods is good. Or you can get a dose of Gaiman and Prachett and read Good Omens which I enjoyed very much, as well. :)

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:51 pm

Halfway through Les Mis. The show is in 12 days. I have to find time to read at least 50 pages a day. Which can I say is a LOT harder than it sounds? 1 page of Les Mis should count for at least 5 pages of normal reading. Besides, 3 young kids makes it hard to find quiet time long enough to sit down and read. And when I do find the time, I'm usually so tired that it's hard to stay awake. Especially when Hugo doesn't stay on topic.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Platypi007
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Platypi007 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:36 am

Yeah, I've attempted Les Mis but haven't made it through. I like the musical, though. :D

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:12 am

I'm looking forward to seeing the musical again. I haven't seen it since high school. I also think it will be a whole lot more amazing after having read the book, since I'll REALLY understand everything that's going on and why.

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Noodle » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:05 am

I read the abridged version of Les Mis back in High School. It's one that I've always wanted to revisit and this time read the full version. Great story.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:57 am

You might enjoy some Anne McCaffrey/Pern. Dragonflight or Dragonsong would be good ones to start with.

Another might be Charles Stross' Merchant Prince series.

If you like funny books, Terry Pratchett's discworld. start with Guards Guards and do the Vimes series of books. or pick Small Gods.

Snow Crash is absurdly entertaining, as well.
I'm going to second this, especially the McCaffrey. You are just a year or so older than I was when I discovered Pern, and I was in love.

Terry Prachett is good, too, but I found the Merchant Prince book that I read to be tiresome. It was recommended to me by a male friend, though, so maybe it's more popular with the y chromosome set.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Legal Court cases for my Psychology and Law class. Classes haven't even officially started, yet the professor emailed us to just start reading.

1. Patient-psychotherapist privilege:

Plunkett v. Ginsburg, No. A94A2012, Ga. Ct. App., 217 Ga. App. 20, Feb. 17, 1995.

Payne v. Sherrer, No. A95A0435, Ga. Court of Appeals, 217 Ga. App. 761, July 10,1995.

Official Code of Georgia Annotated, O.C.G.A. §§ 43-39-16, 24-9-21 (see also 24-9-22).

Jaffee v. Redmond, No. 95-266, U.S. Supreme Court, 518 U.S. 1, June 13, 1996.

Sims v. State, No. 40313, Ga. Supreme Court, 251 Ga. 877, January 4, 1984.

Mrozinski v. Pogue, No. A92A1044, Ga. Ct. App., 205 Ga. App. 731, Sept. 11, 1992

Ugh.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:55 pm

Continuing with my post-apocalyptic YA trend, I'm currently on Ashes, Ashes by Jo Treggiari. After this, I need to take a break from this genre (and will with some MP Haddix - history with a sci-fi twist) because I had nightmares about this very sort of thing two nights in a row recently.

I'll also hopefully be getting Lev Grossman's latest magician book soon; my library system didn't own it, so I told the Collections person and it's now on order with me first in line. More arctic fox sex? Hells yes. ;)
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:46 am

I'm on a YA trend as well, reading Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series. Just finished the third one, City of Glass.
It was actually more well written then I expected. There were a few eye-rolling twilightesque moments, but the plot went in unexpected directions.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Postby Caspian » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:14 am

"More well written"? Oh Jan.
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Noodle » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:19 am

Yeah, everybody knows it's supposed to be "Even more welly written."

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:38 am

Yeah, everybody knows it's supposed to be "Even more welly written."
"Even most welly writed." Go hard or go home, slackers.
The enemy's fly is down.

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Noodle » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:53 am

I was going to say something along those lines but it made my head hurt and I couldn't follow through.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:59 am

Oh, bite me everyone.

:P
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:06 am

I'd rather not. You'd probably taste a bit weird after the diet of newbies you've had over the years.
The enemy's fly is down.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:12 pm

Poetry in my English Lit class.
I don't know why I have this problem, but it's so hard to follow with all the figurative language. That on top of it being from 200 years ago. Ugh.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:21 pm

I've been on kind of a "history of slavery in America" kick. It started with my rereading of Roots. Then, I went on to read The Help before seeing the movie. Then, I read "Kindred" by Octavia Butler (my first book of hers and a rec by neo, I think). And now I'm reading "The Warmth of Other Suns: the Epic Story of America's Great Migration" by Isabel Wilkerson.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:48 pm

How did you like "Kindred"? Do you plan on reading more of Butler's stuff? Her other works are more sci-fi but they all focus on themes of race, identity, community, and sexuality rather than actual hard science.

I just finished "The Left Hand of Darkness" by Ursula K, Le Guin. I've been meaning to read it for some time since it's supposed to be one of the great sci-fi classics. In a way, it reminded me of Butler, but I didn't find it to be nearly as engaging or just plain readable as her books. I can see why people praise it as an important work since it's probably one of the first sci-fi novels to tackle the themes of gender identity and sexuality as it does, but I just couldn't get into it.

On a side note, Le Guin actually invented the ansible (in a literary sense, of course), and OSC does give her a little nod for it in EG when someone mentions that the term "ansible" came from "some old science fiction book". She also mentions relativistic time dilation.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:26 pm

I did like "Kindred". The only thing that bothered me a bit was that it felt like it ended abruptly. Even though you knew how it was going to end from the beginning of the book, when it came, I felt like she didn't give you time to absorb it or something.

I'd like to read some more of her books. I prefer sci fi (over fantasy), so let me know what you'd suggest.

All I remember of "The Left Hand of Darkness" is that I didn't like it. I read it a LONG time ago because it was "classic". The only other thing that I remember reading of hers was "The Lathe of Heaven", which I loved. I'd like to read it again. The made-for-tv-movie was descent, too.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby steph » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:14 pm

I finished Les Miserable!!

I wasn't sure I was going to get in done on time, but I did it with several hours to spare!!

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:52 pm

I'd like to read some more of her books. I prefer sci fi (over fantasy), so let me know what you'd suggest.
Butler's work is pretty much all on the soft side of the sci-fi scale if not bordering on contemporary fantasy in some cases. Her most sci-fi series is the "Xenogenisis" trilogy, conveniently published in a single volume under the title Lilith's Brood.

Her other major series consisting of 4 books is called the "Patternist" series. Also collected in a single volume: Seed to Harvest

I'd recommend those for a start.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:33 am

Finally reading The Hunger Games. So far, so good.

(I had a 13-year old client inform me that I absolutely HAD to promise her I would read it, because it's SOOOO good. I'd already meant to, and we went to a bookstore last night, and so here I am.)
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Return to “Milagre Town Square”