Currently Reading / Just Read (Books/stories/whatever)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Re: Currently Reading / Just Read (Books/stories/whatever)

Postby Jayelle » Tue May 01, 2012 8:44 am

That has a name! It's called a Homeric Nod. :mrgreen:
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue May 01, 2012 9:11 am

Hahaha, well, yes. It is a continuity error. But on the first few pages! I couldn't believe nobody had caught that.

She also has a tendency to write things like "I was angry because" which grinds my "show, don't tell" gears, but otherwise I'm interested so far.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue May 01, 2012 9:22 am

Yeah, the prose isn't the greatest ever written. There is one line that KILLS me. I hate it so, so much and since I listen to the audio book fairly often while at work I honestly start gnashing my teeth every time it comes up. But you haven't gotten there yet, so I'll contain my rage.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Tue May 01, 2012 1:55 pm

Kelly, Ali wants you to post the line under the spoiler tag.

I read the first book the other day. It told a good story and I can see why it has so many people talking. I've started the second and am making fair progress. I'm finding the books extremely difficult to read, though. The imagery and reflections of the non-literary world are just a bit too graphic and plausible for me to read very easily.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue May 08, 2012 9:13 am

Oh yeah, I totally finished Hunger Games this weekend, and was pleased to come to my own conclusions on it and then find that reviewers I respected said almost exactly what I did: that it was very fun to read and the characters were enjoyable at least, but it suffers from deus ex machina and/or a serious need of a revision. Like, pretty much all of the problems I had with it could have been fixed by someone reading through it a few times and cutting some stuff out/rewriting a few others so that they meshed better with later parts of the book. Naturally, like everyone else, I'm now reading Catching Fire. It is less exciting so far, but I've heard that from everyone.

The important thing, though, is KELLY WHAT WAS THE ONE LINE?

Row--row.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Tue May 08, 2012 9:23 am

Mich, I agree with what you say about HG - there are some definite problems with it (prose aside), but I just can't hate on it. Not like I can on, say, MOCKING JAY or DEATHLY HALLOWS. The reading experience for me (straight shot through, one sitting, no stopping) was so viceral, and I remember gripping the book, wanting to rip out the pages and eat them as I went, all the while my mind was thrumming "this is so f****** up, this is so f****** up, this is so f****** up." So I can forgive the book for all its faults because it gave me that experience. (And for those curious, yes I had both seen and read BATTLE ROYAL before ever reading HUNGER GAMES).

This probably going to be a huge letdown after the build up, but the line that I hate so much that I actually grind my teeth is in the scene after Katniss has shot the apple out of the roast pig's mouth during her individual evaluation in front of the game makers. This first line is given for context. The bolded line is the one I HATE.

"I avoid looking at anyone as I take tiny spoonfuls of fish soup. The saltiness reminds me of my tears."

It's the worst line ever. EVER.

EVER.

It clunky and melodramatic as hell and awful in every conceivable way. I'd say it belongs in fanfic written by a thirteen year old, but I honestly think it's too terrible for pre-teen fanfic. I HATE IT SO MUCH.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue May 08, 2012 6:11 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Man. That line.

But don't mistake my criticisms for hating. It was quite delightful, and I look forward to seeing the film sometime soon.

Seriously, though, not a let-down. It is a very good pick. Still love the idea of boots before pants.

Row--row.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Wed May 09, 2012 7:46 am

I aim to please!

Seriously, though. I just want to shout out that line any time there's an awkward silence that needs filling.

THE SALTINESS REMINDS ME OF MY TEARS. (Do I need to keep this under a tag, still?)

As for things, I've actually read a book recently. Don't know where I managed to find the time.

PINK SMOG by Francesca Lia Block. A Weetzie Bat prequel. If you love Francesca, and you love Weetzie, then this is an obvious must-read. I liked it quite a bit, actually, and was sort of surprised by that. I didn't fall in love with DANGEROUS ANGELS until the "Missing Angel Juan" chapter (I actually sort of hated DANGEROUS ANGELS until that point, and only continued to read it out of obligation to a friend), which I read on a Fung Wah bus ride from New York to Boston and that chapter was like a cocktail for my soul. It shook me up and soothed me and made everything in my life both better and worse in that suspended moment. So after that I was a fan. I willingly accepted the Francesca Lia Block kool-aid. Anyway. Tangent aside. PINK SMOG was lovely.

I just download UNDER THE NEVER SKY to my kindle from the library, so that's up next, assuming I get to it before it expires. I miss reading.

(BUT SOON I GET TO DO IT EVERY DAY FOR WORK. ...only, then I'll be back in the funny position of having only read things that won't come out for 2 to 3 years and will be unable to discuss them with anyone as a result. BUT STILL).
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed May 09, 2012 9:39 am

I just finished the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness (starts with The Knife of Never Letting Go). It was amazingly good. I liked it better than The Maze Runner and probably on par with The Hunger Games. I couldn't put it down and stayed up a couple nights WAY too late in order to finish the books. I'm not good with reviews but let's just add my recommendation to Alea's from last year. Give it a try.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Wed May 09, 2012 9:41 am

I really, really need to just suck it up and read those. Everyone says they're fantastic. I can't seem to get arround the immensely irritating typeface gimmicks though.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed May 09, 2012 9:46 am

probably on par with The Hunger Games
Agreed on your rating it above Maze Runner, no contest, really, but I would go so far as to say it was the stronger trilogy between it and Hunger Games. I felt it was more consistently strong (unlike HG, that arguably got consistently weaker the further along it went) and at least equally compelling, though for different reasons.

Hunger Games was great entertainment, no doubt, but Chaos Walking was one of those rare series that left a mark on me.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed May 09, 2012 9:54 am

Yes, I can agree that it was a stronger trilogy overall. But both made me want to not put it down til the end, so there's that. :)
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed May 09, 2012 7:33 pm

I just finished the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness (starts with The Knife of Never Letting Go). It was amazingly good. I liked it better than The Maze Runner and probably on par with The Hunger Games. I couldn't put it down and stayed up a couple nights WAY too late in order to finish the books. I'm not good with reviews but let's just add my recommendation to Alea's from last year. Give it a try.
Adding to my ever-growing "to-read" list.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Fri May 11, 2012 4:49 pm

between wedding planning and show from hell, I have had no time to finish reading a book since Christmas, I think.

:(:(:(

That said, for eink reader, kindle or nook? touch or not touch? keyboard or not keyboard?
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Sat May 12, 2012 8:01 am

Adam, lots of people have weighed in on e-readers over here

A lot of us got them for the holidays this year. I, for one, have a Kindle Touch, and I am OBSESSED with it.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Sat May 12, 2012 8:31 am

I just read all 5 books in A Song of Fire and Ice in the last couple of weeks. Now I'm not sure what to do with myself. I guess I'll just kick back for the next 5 years until the next book comes out.
I don't want to do things. I want to not do things.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Mon May 14, 2012 7:49 am

UNDER THE NEVER SKY by Veronica Rossi
I went into this one fully expecting to be bored out of my mind. Another YA dystopian. Obvious romance. Blah, blah. I was actually pleasantly surprised. I didn't LOVE it, but I did like it. Somme of the world-building aspects are absurd and don't hang together--particularly the more techonological world of the Dwellers. Aria is a bit ridiculous as a female protagonist, but less so than others have been. Her growth over the course of the novel happens a bit more rapidly and easily than I'd prefer, but she did have some depth. And I kind of adored the male protagonist, Perry. A lot. He's a clear archetype, and one that's very popular right now in teen fiction, but he actually felt multi-dimentional to me, instead of flat like so many of the others. I also believe his relationship with his nephew 110% which made such a huge difference in the way I perceived the character. Large parts of the novel are entirely predictable, but the small twists where nice and kept me reading. I enjoyed it. I'll read the next one.

ENTWINED by Heather Dixon
This is one of many fairy-tale retellings that have hit the market in recent years. This one is The Twelve Dancing Princessess, which is perhpas my FAVORITE fairy-tale, so I had to give it a shot. Simply put: there are a LOT problems with this novel. But in truth, I really didn't care. I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't know if this is because I love the orgin fairytale so much, or what. But I just had a great time reading it. Despite the myriad of issues concerning character and plot. Who cares. It made me cry, so there's that. Family is central and romance is on the back burner, so there's that. There's a magic pair of sugar tongs that nip and bite the princesses' fingers, which the girls refer to as "the sugar teeth," so there's that. I am forgiving of all its faults.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Tue May 15, 2012 2:48 am

I finally got around to reading John Green's The Fault in Our Stars over the weekend. I'm considering giving up on reading entirely. I'm fairly certain that experience cannot be topped.
I just read this book today. My other read of the day (the newest Mortal Instruments) rather paled in comparison. I'm not quite sure what I could read next that would even come close...
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Tue May 15, 2012 7:57 am

To be fair, I haven't yet read THE FAULT IN OUR STARS, although I have it sitting by my bed, because I know John Green and I just can't let him rope me in to a sobfest right now.

STILL, I'm going to tell you to read Nova Ren Suma's IMAGINARY GIRLS anyway, because I tell everyone to read that book, even though I know it's super polarizing. Don't read the Amazon reviews. None of those people understood it and their opinions are wrong (yup, I just went there). Anyway. IMAGINARY GIRLS has been at the top of my list since I read it January and nothing has even come close to knocking it down. I wish I had written it myself.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue May 15, 2012 8:41 am

I'm in the minority when it comes to The Fault in Our Stars. I liked it, but it didn't blow me away. And I like sad stories. But it was just okay.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:00 pm

That's how I felt about Looking for Alaska. It was good, but nothing mind-blowing.

ETA to avoid a double post: Imaginary Girls was checked out from my library, so I went with Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli instead (along with 8 other books because it's summer and I'm out of control). Apparently kids with cancer isn't bad enough--I have to go for Nazis.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri May 18, 2012 5:30 pm

I finished Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy the other day. Overall, it was pretty good but I think it would've worked better as two books instead of three. The first book is amazing on it's own but the pacing felt off to me in the other two. It's almost like he fell into the trap of thinking that if he's going to write a multi-volume work, it has to be a trilogy. Personally, I think it would've worked better if the second book's eponymous MacGuffin had been simply the epilogue to book one and the events that drag in book two and the first half of three could be condensed a bit into a single sequel.

Having run out of things to read, I went to B&N yesterday and picked up Old Man's War and the Ender Companion (mostly for Steve's science stuff).
The enemy's fly is down.

HectorVictorious
Launchie
Launchie

Postby HectorVictorious » Tue May 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Currently reading Slaughterhouse 5, just read breakfast of champions, mother night, and the short story entitled "2br02b"
All by Kurt Vonnegut

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed May 23, 2012 7:35 am

I could never get into Slaughterhouse 5 but I really liked Player Piano by Vonnegut.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri May 25, 2012 8:20 pm

For the first time, probably since I got here, I only have one book to get through in my "pile." There are many I want to be in my pile but my actual pile is one book deep. I don't know how this happened but I'm feeling a little naked because of it.

The Fairy Tale Detectives by M. Buckley is what's on the agenda for my stint at the airport tonight. I may have to buy a book in AZ to read on the way back because I want to keep reading new-to-me books and all the books I left in my room there I've read or don't want to read.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Tue May 29, 2012 7:32 am

FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK by Melina Marchetta was lovely. A fantasy adventure, well written with some nice twists. I really enjoyed it.

I'm in the middle of SHATTER ME by Tahereh Mafi and it is pretty freaking horrendous.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:31 am

So, yeah, SHATTER ME was terrible. I feel guilty for feeling that way, since so many of my former coworkers worked on it/are acknowledged in it/gush about it. Yikes. Must find something non-committal to say about it when asked.

TOUCH OF POWER, on the other hand, is wonderful. This is the second Maria V. Snyder book I've read (the first was POISON STUDY. Also wonderful) and she reminds me a lot of Tamora Pierce. In that each story she crafts is unique and separate, and yet you can tell they were all written by the same person. Her heroines are fantastic. Multi-layered, smart, capacity for growth. She is quickly vaulting to the top of my list of YA fantasy/adventure writers right now.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:20 pm

Ray Bradbury has died at age 91 :(

I may go hunt out a copy of All Summer In A Day.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:51 pm

Time to bust out Dandelion Wine and feel all nostalgic.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:44 pm

I am currently making my way through the Sisters Grimm series by Michael Buckley. I stopped into the Nazi library for book number three and they don't own any of the series, which was disappointing.

Lined up after #2 and possibly during #3, I'll be reading Nix's a Confusion of Princes. I've only read Shade's Children but I liked his style from what I remember so I'm hoping it's just as satisfying a read.

After that, who knows. My small-ish to-read list will take me a while to get through but they're all relatively similar as far as genre.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:32 pm

I'm rereading Pillars of the Earth, just cuz and also because there is a sequel out, I think? After that I might read Tuesdays with Morrie. There are such split reviews on this. Anyone here read it and have an opinion?

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:36 pm

I am 4/5th of the way through the Gregor the Overlander series by Suzanne Collins. They're nothing mind-blowing or incredible, but they are fun and quick reads. I've been enjoying them immensely.

Did I mention this before here? I'm too lazy to check, so happy bonus post if that's the case.

Next up: Chaos Walking!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:10 pm

Next up: Chaos Walking!
Woo! I really hope you like it (but it's okay if you don't).

So...I now have a Kindle, thanks to Adam, and I haven't used it yet but I'm excited to sit down and play with it. The first (and so far only) book I have for it is Ender's Game, also courtesy of Adam. :) I tried browsing our selection at work but then Stuff came up. Namely, work.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:13 am

Wow, awesome! Mark got one recently. Can't wait to hear what you think.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:02 am

So...I now have a Kindle, thanks to Adam, and I haven't used it yet but I'm excited to sit down and play with it. The first (and so far only) book I have for it is Ender's Game, also courtesy of Adam. :) I tried browsing our selection at work but then Stuff came up. Namely, work.
This. Will. Change. Your. Life.

I love my Kindle DX so, so much.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”