Currently Reading / Just Read (Books/stories/whatever)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:39 am

Is anyone else interested in going to the first North American Disc World convention in the first week of September? It's in Jawaland (AZ) and myself and my best friend out here are both thinking of going. :-p

I'm currently reading Artists in the Audience, which is a book about the history of film criticism.

Which is actually more interesting than a lot of film criticism itself because this book is about charting the history of how trends of film criticism developed over the last century--really modern liberal arts criticism whose roots began in film criticism because film was a more receptive medium to modern style criticisms. I dunno I'm a sucker for history and epistomelogical history's in particular, so this book is utterly fascinating to chew on. I'm taking notes and learning an immense amount. I love the distinguishment between Cult criticism (unearthing overlooked and misappreciated masterpieces and master artists and also involved in the establishment of canon and the upholding of taste) and Camp criticism (don't care what text/work/artist you use anything can be transformed and interpreted by the work of the critic, and the importance is in the critical gesture of activation towards the text/work/artist).
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Voyagers by Ben Bova

Postby buckshot » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:05 am

I just finished Voyagers by Ben Bova , It moved along fast enough and there was a lot going on with a lot of characters. There was the ever present Russian American stuff going on which gets tedious, but the ending was great. All in all a good read.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:17 pm

I just read Y: the Last Man, a comic book by Brian K. Vaughn, and it was great. Really great. I read all fifty issues in two days, which is pretty impressive, for me. I normally don't binge that quickly... It's about a disease, or a curse, or something that kills every single male on the planet within about five seconds of each other except for one loser magician and the capuchin monkey he's supposed to be training (and failing at). The story spans about five years, detailing his travels and problems as he a) looks to cure the reproductive problem (or, to be more precise, is dragged around by people who want to cure it) and b) looks for his girlfriend who he was proposing to over the phone when everyone died. The characterizations are really great, and I realized, about twenty issues in, that I had even grown really attached to the monkey, a character I had at first just instinctively hated.

Anyway... I always get this way after a good graphic novel. But you should read it. Yes, you. Because good comics are good for the soul.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:03 pm

I just read Metamorphosis, by Kafka. First required reading that I've had to do in a year, and first required reading that I've found enjoyable in about 2.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:32 am

I have picked up The Graveyard Book by Gaiman. I'm not all that far in and it's honestly not something I'd typically find myself reading, but it's interesting enough so far.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:26 am

Alea,

Let me know how that ends up for you. Someone in work was reading it and recommended, but I don't really know if I trust his taste. So I would appreciate a valued opinion on it.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:35 pm

Graveyard Book is awesome. But, you may not value my opinion since I am in love with Neil Gaiman.

I just started Ladies and Gentlemen: The Bible! by Jonathan Goldstein. Hilarious. I love it.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:24 pm

Alea, Let me know how that ends up for you.
As soon as I can, I will but just so you're warned, if I'm not head over heals in love with a book, it can take a few weeks to wade through it and while I think this is interesting, love it certainly is not.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:29 pm

I read TGB in one sitting, LOVED it.
:)

I've been listening to my audio book of HP and the Deathly Hallows. Last night on the drive home it was part of the Malfoy manner, Dobby had just shown up and I went inside, got my book and proceeded to read from that point to the end of the book. Love that book a lot. I think HBP is still my favorite but DH is the best. Which is odd, as normally I never separate favorite and best. I need to get the HBP audio as I don't think I've ever listened to that one (maybe the only one I haven't listened to, though I may not have listened to all of OOTP I've listened to some of it).

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:08 am

I just finished reading Nancy Kress's Steal Across the Sky (I wanted to start with her most famous, but this is what the library had). Without giving away too much of the plot, there are some VERY obvious parallel's to some of OSC's work.

I think now I will start Peter Watts's Starfish because it will make me feel less guilty about not working on my oceanography homework. Or Stephenson's Zodiac on same principle.

Though after reading this thread, I am going to have to pick up Lathe of Heaven. I read Disposessed earlier this week and am kind of on a Le Guin kick.[/i]

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:47 pm

I just finished reading Michael Ward's Planet Narnia, which is a fascinating approach to understanding the Chronicles of Narnia as a whole. I will write a review yet, but so far I have to say that the evidence Ward offers for an astrological theme to Narnia is overwhelming and remarkable.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:12 pm

I just finished reading Michael Ward's Planet Narnia, which is a fascinating approach to understanding the Chronicles of Narnia as a whole. I will write a review yet, but so far I have to say that the evidence Ward offers for an astrological theme to Narnia is overwhelming and remarkable.
<blatantadvertising>You should read Narnia and the Fields of Arbol: The Environmental Vision of C.S. Lewis</blatant advertising.

I just re-read the whole Ender quartet, which rejuvenated my love for OSC's writing. And Courtney and I are now reading Watership Down to each other. I love that book, and it's her first time through.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:22 am

I just felt like mentioning that I've gone on a binge of Batman graphic novels:

Year One
The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
(and soon) Hush

Batman is made of awesome. I'm ashamed that I'm only now reading what are widely regarded to be some of his definitive stories.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:23 am

Year One
The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
(and soon) Hush

Batman is made of awesome. I'm ashamed that I'm only now reading what are widely regarded to be some of his definitive stories.
You have read... Dark Knight Returns... right? RIGHT!?

Also, Hush for the win. I randomly got the first couple issues in a "big box o' comics that I've already read and want you to read" from my friend, and it really intrigued me. I ought to read the rest. The other day I read Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, and I have to say it was one of the oddest post-modern comics I've read, but you have to expect that, with Dave McKean doing all of the art (he did the covers of the Sandman.

Unrelatedly other than by comics, I also read Preacher a bit ago. That was an interesting, fun read. I really disagreed with many of the decisions made by the main character, and can't decide if they were disagreeable on purpose, or if the author actually believes they were the correct choices. What I found funny was how it's by an Irish author, with a British artist, and it's a book about Americana, John Wayne, and, well, the South. Not that uncommon, really, but the level it goes to in its points about how in love with America the book is is rather staggering (and sometimes [many times] overdone, in my opinion).

Anyway. Yeah, Batman!
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:55 am

And Courtney and I are now reading Watership Down to each other. I love that book, and it's her first time through.
I really need to read that again. I only read it once when we had to in 8th grade and that's a sure way to ruin any great book. The only thing I really remember about it is the rabbit to human dictionary in the back. I'll go add it to my "to read" list now.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:04 pm

Frithrah! Everyone should read Watership Down.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:38 pm

Year One
The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
(and soon) Hush

You have read... Dark Knight Returns... right? RIGHT!?
Pfft. Of course. And the sequel "The Dark Knight Strikes Again", although it's not nearly as good.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Brian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brian » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:34 pm

I just finished "Memory of Earth". The plot line is the same as the "Book of Mormon". Yes i am mormon and we are not going to get into that on this thread.
Late at night when the world grows still, and a peace upraises from your soul, I take that chance to blend myself, with all of nature as a whole.

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Some call me... Tim

Postby Darth Petra » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:12 am

I have picked up The Graveyard Book by Gaiman. I'm not all that far in and it's honestly not something I'd typically find myself reading, but it's interesting enough so far.
I just read that.

I've also just read Silence of the Lambs, Red Dragon, and I'm starting Atlas Shrugged, though I find it a bit dull.
"Death is the only serious preoccupation in life."
- The Count of Monte Cristo

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:20 am

DP, have you read any other Rand? You might want to start off with one of her shorter (and faster paced) books like Anthem or We the Living. I love both of those. I also really like Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged but they are tougher to get through.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Darth Petra » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:26 am

DP, have you read any other Rand? You might want to start off with one of her shorter (and faster paced) books like Anthem or We the Living. I love both of those. I also really like Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged but they are tougher to get through.
I have not. I mean, I've read books as long as AS. I figured if I could read Victor Hugo without getting bored, I could read anything.

It seems to be starting slow, but I'm counting on it getting better.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:24 am

I figured if I could read Victor Hugo without getting bored, I could read anything.
Faith in your abilities, misplaced it is young Padawan. Tested against Moby Dick you must be.

hehe. I remember the slackjawed look on my 9th grade English teacher's face the first time I quoted Les Misérables at him in class.

Darth Petra
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Darth Petra » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:34 am

I figured if I could read Victor Hugo without getting bored, I could read anything.
Faith in your abilities, misplaced it is young Padawan. Tested against Moby Dick you must be.

hehe. I remember the slackjawed look on my 9th grade English teacher's face the first time I quoted Les Misérables at him in class.
I've read Moby Dick. And I didn't find that boring.

And Les Miserables is pure win.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:29 pm

I couldn't make it through Moby Dick. Happily my English teacher junior year was understanding (i.e. had never made it through it herself) and let us get away with watching the movie and reading only a few chapters.

I have yet to try Les Mis, though it is on the list.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:53 pm

Okay, Ed, if you are still interested in my take on The Graveyard Book, here it is:

I thought it was an interesting and certainly unique enough idea (at least considering what I read/have read) but I thought there was something missing in the execution. I was amused at times, intrigued at others but never really cared about any of the characters until the very very end.

I guess I also thought the explanation for what happens in the very beginning was a little hokey...a letdown for me, really.

But Jan and Adam loved it, so there's the potential you'll enjoy it, right?

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:22 pm

I am currently reading Cormac McCarthy's The Road, in anticipation of the movie based on it, and Jeff Kinney's Diary of a Wimpy Kid, because the series is very popular with the little people.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:05 pm

the Road, I'll share my thoughts when you're done. :)

I'm currently reading The Blank Slate by Steven Pinker. it's fabulous.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:45 pm

I just re-read two of Connie Willis' books (To Say Nothing of the Dog and Bellwether) in preparation for her new book coming out in February. Man, I love her more then anything.

I also have been reading some Jostein Gaarder - The Christmas Mystery is new to me and quite good. It may become a Christmas tradition to read that one. Also I read the Solitare Mystery which is seriously amazing.

Have I read anything that isn't amazing lately? Hmm... yes. I read Meg Cabot's Big Boned. It was mediocre.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:08 pm

I just looked up Connie Willis' new book but it's not listed in my library system yet. I'm just finishing a reread of the Homecoming series and about to start Margaret Atwood's latest, The Year of the Flood.

ratesjul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ratesjul » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:55 pm

I'm reading (partly rereading) the Vatta trilogy by Elizabeth Moon - from memory I started to get annoyed by it around book 3, which is where i'm up to this time.

I'm also reading Andrew Greeley's"Bishop and the Missing L Train" which I'm enjoying.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:27 pm

the Road, I'll share my thoughts when you're done. :)
Oh. God. *sniffle* So good, in such a heartbreaking way.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:58 pm

the Road literally turned my body cold while reading it. I had to finish the book outside, in noontime-midafternoon sunlight blasting down on me (and giving me a sunburn) because it was really getting to me reading it indoors.

The part with the pregnant bandits? or what they find in the cellar with prisoners? those are the most horrifying stomach churning images I've ever read.

And damn, the relationship between the father and son, just incredibly written, so delicate yet strong--relentlessly powerful.

and boy, that ending is just remarkable.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:01 pm

I read most of it outside, too. The last of it I read inside, huddled under the biggest comforter in the house and surrounded by the fluffiest pillows we have -forming a sort of nest around myself- and with my legs curled up, almost in a fetal position. I needed to hug myself every so often.

*****POSSIBLE SPOILERS*****

When I first started reading it, the style of it -a little choppy, incomplete, simple to a degree- made me wary of how gut-wrenching it could possibly be. But yes, the whole scene with the cellar made my skin crawl, especially when that and other descriptions of the Boy brought to mind images of the Holocaust.

The lack of explanation for why it all happened was more powerful than I expected, also.

It was a tough, unrelenting book to get through and I couldn't be more pleased with the ending; I love it when the harsh reality of things happens and no one comes out a real winner.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:40 pm

ooh the style bothered me at first too. I was all antagonistic at him for the lack of quotation marks. Then as the book went on, that lack helped develop a sort of 'tone' in my head for their speaking voices, as though what they were saying, was hushed, or unspoken but understood, or merely a dialog the man had in his head with the boy if they did talk, that the words were more like a memory of talking than talking itself. It had this strangely apocalyptic dismalness to it, by taking out that punctuation. and by the end of the book I loved it.

then I picked up one of Cormac's other books and realized he just doesn't like them and never uses them when he writes and I was disappointed it didn't have all that extra authorial subtlety I attributed it, though it definitely has that effect in the context of that story.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:38 am

I'm reading 13 Reasons Why, by Jay Asher. It's pretty good so far. It's about a girl who kills herself and leaves cassette tapes behind that tell the thirteen reasons why she swallowed a bunch of pills.
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Return to “Milagre Town Square”