Currently Reading / Just Read (Books/stories/whatever)

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:20 am

Megx, have you tried the Earthsea cycle?
Nope, I've read other Le Guin but thanks for reminding me that I need to check that series out

I also keep meaning to re-read Foundation but I don't want my fond, hazy memories of it to be ruined if I don't like it as much when I read it again...

This weekend I read The City & The City and Eastern Standard Tribe. I also organized my to be read pile and separated it into Library & my books. So of course I read a creative commons PDF instead...I am currently trying to decide between a few Ted Chiang stories from the collection I picked up or bed.

Obligatory EST quote:
“So you’re a fish out of water. You live in Arizona, but you’re sixteen years old and all your neighbors are eighty-five, and you get ten billion channels of media on your desktop. All the good stuff—everything that tickles you—comes out of some clique of hyperurban club-kids in South Philly. They’re making cool art, music, clothes. You read their mailing lists and you can tell that they’re exactly the kind of people who’d really appreciate you for who you are. In the old days, you’d pack your bags and hitchhike across the country and move to your community. But you’re sixteen, and that’s a pretty scary step.

“Why move? These kids live online. At lunch, before school, and all night, they’re comming in, talking trash, sending around photos, chatting. Online, you can be a peer. You can hop into these discussions, play the games, chord with one hand while chatting up some hottie a couple thousand miles away.

“Only you can’t. You can’t, because they chat at seven AM while they’re getting ready for school. They chat at five PM, while they’re working on their homework. Their late nights end at three AM. But those are their local times, not yours. If you get up at seven, they’re already at school, ’cause it’s ten there.

“So you start to *** with your sleep schedule. You get up at four AM so you can chat with your friends. You go to bed at nine, ’cause that’s when they go to bed. Used to be that it was stock brokers and journos and factory workers who did that kind of thing, but now it’s anyone who doesn’t fit in. The geniuses and lunatics to whom the local doctrine tastes wrong. They choose their peers based on similarity, not geography, and they keep themselves awake at the same time as them. But you need to make some nod to localness, too—gotta be at work with everyone else, gotta get to the bank when it’s open, gotta buy your groceries. You end up hardly sleeping at all, you end up sneaking naps in the middle of the day, or after dinner, trying to reconcile biological imperatives with cultural ones. Needless to say, that alienates you even further from the folks at home, and drives you more and more into the arms of your online peers of choice.
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:31 am

Just finished reading The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. An amazing book, though there's little to no catharsis; which some may find fitting with the (post-apocalyptic) theme, but I found a bit harsh. (I like happy endings)

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:40 am

Everyone read that for their book reports last semester. Now nobody can read it, but it sounds good.

I just started "The Penelopiad", which is about Penelope (from the Odyssey) and what really went on when Odysseus came home and killed the Suitors and the maids.
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:19 pm

I'm reading Enchantment and it makes me want to cry over how far OSC has fallen, in my eyes; this is really good so far.

I enjoyed this exchange:
"What good is the heart without the mind?"
"Better than the mind without the heart," said Father.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Addict

Postby Sonikku13 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:32 pm

Currently, my school read is In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez. It's a good book, but my spirits on the book are dampened heavily by the amount of homework I get for it.
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I've had 102 nukes on MW2.

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:30 pm

I'm reading Enchantment and it makes me want to cry over how far OSC has fallen, in my eyes; this is really good so far.
I know! Oh man, I love Enchantment.
I'm actually re-reading Ender's Game at the moment and remembering why I came to this forum in the first place.

I hate how crappy he's gotten.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:52 pm

It's funny, isn't it, remembering OSC-as-you-first-read-him versus OSC-as-you-think-of-him-now? When I first read Magic Street I was impressed that I actually liked it before embarrassingly remembering that I used to really enjoy Card's stuff.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:08 am

Just reread American Gods. One of the greatest books of all time.
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:31 am

Just reread American Gods. One of the greatest books of all time.
I'm Mich, and I approve of this message.

Row--row.

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby hive_king » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:26 am

Well if mister pokelope himself is on my side...
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:34 am

Nice! Enchantment is my favorite non-Ender book from OSC. It was the one I least anticipated and enjoyed the most. I'm kind of glad that I haven't read any of his new stuff.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:04 pm

I loved the first half of Enchantment, but I lost my book before I could read the second half.

I'm currently reading We the Living by Ayn Rand, which I think I've already posted here. This is my third start to read it, and I just have this feeling I need to get out about it and right now there's literally no one I feel like I can talk to about it because everyone is busy or emotionally unstable. Like I said, this is my third time to start reading it. The first time I read it, I absolutely loved it. It was amazing. The second time I read it, though, I was approximately halfway through it when I read one sentence that completely changed the book for me that I suppose I just hadn't picked up on the last time I read it. I put the book down and never picked it up again. Until now, because my plans for Spring Thesis reading went completely the wrong way and I ended up not being able to read any of the books I had intended to read.

But I'm approaching that same point in the book. And it really worries me that I won't be able to get past it. But there's something more, too. As odd as it seems, I really, really feel in-tune with Kira Argounova, and certain aspects of her situation (obviously the not living and starving in the Soviet Union, but other things, and other feelings she has throughout the novel). And as certain correlations between my life and her life grow stronger, I start to feel just in pain when she's in pain. And I feel depressed when I can't keep moving on in the story. I take my largest pauses in reading whenever she's enjoying herself because I want to be able to just suspend time whenever I'm enjoying life like I can with hers. And then, also, I feel a need to finish this book. It's consuming me. I have two tests to be studying for, which are really important and studying is really needed to do well on them. But I can't bring myself to focus because I'm thinking about this book and finishing it. Yet every time I go to read more tonight, I am both attracted and repulsed by the book. It's completely driving me insane.

I think I'm also attracted to Kira because she's not Dagny Taggart. She has to sink to levels that she is far superior to due to the country she lives in and her indignation at where she is, even though she's capable of so much more makes it much easier to relate to her than to Dagny because Dagny struggles but is still so unbelievable..

Er, that last part was just after thoughts after typing this. But these thoughts and feelings have just been burning inside of me, and I've needed to get them out all day. So yeah, Currently Reading: We the Living by Ayn Rand.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:17 pm

I'm going to create a hysterical 'leave OSC alone!' video.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:32 pm

Do it.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:35 pm

Yes, do. She had a comeback, afterall; I'm up for OSC doing the same.

Plus, it'd be entertaining to watch you cry like a little girl.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:53 pm

Plus, it'd be entertaining to watch you cry like a little girl.
I bet you would enjoy that. I don't know whether to be disgusted or just pity you.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:56 pm

Let's not choose; do both.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:06 pm

I don't know how it happened but I got roped into reading Jana Bommersbach's Trunk Murderess: Winnie Ruth Judd for a work-related book discussion to take place on the 16th. I picked up my copy today. I sure as hell hope it's good because I am not a big fan of N-F.

Caspian
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ducky Consort

Postby Caspian » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:07 pm

Currently reading:
Hypnerotomachia Poliphili
Paleography of Medieval Gothic Books
"Violence" by Slavoj Zizek
"Morte D'Arthur" by Sir Thomas Malory
It's not "noob" to rhyme with "boob". It's "newbie" to rhyme with "boobie".

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:47 pm

The Things They Carried
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:11 pm

The Things They Carried is an amazing book. I met the author once, though his answer to my question was slightly disappointing. Though maybe my question was simply not worded or spoken in the way I intended.

I'm currently reading Charles Dickens's A Tale of Two Cities.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:57 pm

Wil, have you read any John Scalzi? His first novel, Old Man's War, was quite good and right up your alley if you're into some military scifi (and your list of Ender's Game, Fall of Reach, First Strike, etc. seems to imply you are).
Well, I was going to suggest Scalzi, but Syphon already did, plus I mentioned him like two posts above yours so I didn't want to seem obsessed. I'm going to meet him, ya know.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. That was a great book, "Old Man's War". It had everything I like in novels, and specifically scifi. Smart, simple, modern terms for technology that we've not invented yet. (BrainPal(tm) was pushing it, as was SmartBlood, etc, but I found it funny so it's cool). It had comedy! I got more laughs from this novel than I've gotten in any other novel, ever. It had sex, violence, and word-gore! I managed to read through the entire book in about 5 hours today. Going to check out the next three novels this week. Yay, good recommendations! :D

Thank you all kindly, I'll be sure to check some more of your recommendations out here real soon.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:05 pm

The Things They Carried is an amazing book. I met the author once, though his answer to my question was slightly disappointing. Though maybe my question was simply not worded or spoken in the way I intended.

I'm currently reading Charles Dickens's A Tale of Two Cities.
My english class is gonna have a videochat session in our library with the author in 2 or 3 weeks.

I've only gotten about 50-60 pages into the book, so I don't really have any questions, yet.

Is there any other spectacular question that you want me to ask him, for you?
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:02 pm

The second time I read it, though, I was approximately halfway through it when I read one sentence that completely changed the book for me that I suppose I just hadn't picked up on the last time I read it. But I'm approaching that same point in the book. And it really worries me that I won't be able to get past it.
What was the one sentence?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:24 pm

I think I'm also attracted to Kira
justasplanned.jpg
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:23 am

CezeN: I asked him what he believed the difference was between the truth and reality, in context of The Things They Carried. But no, I don't have any questions for him. I read the book my sophomore year for a reading program that my community has, where they invite authors to come to the community for Q&A sessions with the high school students and then also with groups who have signed up through the local libraries. I actually got him to sign my book! But then I gave it to my teacher because she really wanted to meet him, but wasn't able to.. I seem to be unable to hold onto books I get signed.

Luet: Have you read it? If so, it's a part where Andrei is kissing Kira and Rand writes, "His eyes were closed; hers were open, looking indifferently up at the ceiling." I think the first time I read this book (I was 14ish), I was completely in love with Andrei Taganov's character, and so I managed to somehow think that Kira really loved him, in the way she loved Leo, maybe even to a greater extent because I liked him so much. Though, upon reading it again, I can't believe I managed to get myself to believe that even throughout the entire second half of the book. This time, that sentence only sparked recognition that I knew it better than others in the book, though. And at the end, I still like Andrei better, even if he was a communist...

Zero: I do like brunettes. =]

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:08 am

Took me four days to get through The Ghost Brigades... then this morning I started on The Last Colony and I just finished it.

I'm itching for more Scifi. Like this. Exactly like this. Except, maybe a different story. I wish I could describe and quantify exactly what it is I liked about the Old Man's War universe so that I could better find scifi novels I want to read. The military parts were good, but so were the not-so-military parts. I really liked the technology and the science part of the scifi. Hrm... what to do, what to do.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:01 pm

Edit: Also Wil, if you don't mind, I have not read ANY fantasy and would like to know WHERE to start. Any good recs for someone who has read The Hobbit, and that's about it ? :D
Didn't even see this! Some of the best fantasy I've read lately has all been by Brandon Sanderson. I could not recommend him enough. Especially his Mistborn trilogy. On top of that, I'd also recommend The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfus. There is more - a LOT more - but that's a good start.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:06 am

Connie Willis! I'm so excited for her new book. She is my favourite author.
I just got Blackout from my library yesterday and started last night. Have you started it?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

JayeIIe
Launchie
Launchie
Title: Clone Ducky

Postby JayeIIe » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:21 am

I haven't yet. It's still on order at the library. I am tempted to buy it, but we are very, very low on funds right now. :(
One Duck to fool them all...

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:46 am

Edit: Also Wil, if you don't mind, I have not read ANY fantasy and would like to know WHERE to start. Any good recs for someone who has read The Hobbit, and that's about it ? :D
Didn't even see this! Some of the best fantasy I've read lately has all been by Brandon Sanderson. I could not recommend him enough. Especially his Mistborn trilogy. On top of that, I'd also recommend The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfus. There is more - a LOT more - but that's a good start.
Oh nice, guess what I just read the first 50 pages of? :P My friend lent me the entire trilogy, so I am going to attempt to finish it!
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:51 pm

I've been rereading The Sandman yet again. I actually haven't read the last three volumes more than once, and it really kind of broke my heart, yet again. However, I did get angry, yet again, at the introduction to The Kindly Ones, where whoever it is that introduces it tells you a big spoiler that I, for one, didn't really know was coming up despite foreshadowing (mostly because I tend to just change straight through books when reading them and only muse over their meaning later) and then claims that it isn't really a spoiler! So I got angry at something someone wrote over twelve years ago because it ruined something for me a year ago. Probably because I had worked so hard not to get anything in the series spoiled for me.

Anyway. Bottom line: the book is still good. Great, even. But you all probably knew that.

Row--row.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:30 pm

I just finished Robert Jordan's The Path of Daggers and started on Winter's Heart, to be followed by Crossroads of Twilight, Knife of Dreams and The Gathering Storm. And possibly the final two Wheel of Time books as well if they're published by the time I'm done with those. After that I intend to reread the Kushiel books, mostly because I just want to but partly also because after WoT I need a reminder of how well-written stories sound. The Wheel of Time story is interesting and entertaining enough, but Jordan's a bit long-winded and at times it's hard to accept some of the characters' actions as part of that fantasy world instead of part of Jordan's apparently skewed view of how things work the real world. Mainly though, it would be nice if he could keep his ADD in check and focus on the central characters he started off with instead of branching out and telling the stories of every person they meet and even the machinations of yet more people who the main characters don't even know and probably never will directly. A little of that is nice and possibly even required, but when it gets to the point where your main characters are barely in the book at all it's a bit obnoxious.

Also, I guess I should add the Ender Quartet to my reading list, either before or after Kushiel's Legacy before certain Canucks start chucking rubber duckies at my head. (Though I just re-read them about a year ago before I started on WoT so it's still pretty fresh in my mind.) I also kinda want to re-read Clarke's Rama series, but I'll probably find something new before I get that deep in the re-reads.
The enemy's fly is down.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:14 am

Jayelle, I just finished Blackout. Did you know that it is only the first half of the story? If so, why didn't you warn me?!? I got to the end and found "the riveting conclusion of the story, All Clear, will be out in Fall 2010". EVERYthing was left as cliffhangers. And I'm terrible about remembering things so I'm going to have to reread it before the next one comes out. Sigh...

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:53 am

Jayelle, I just finished Blackout. Did you know that it is only the first half of the story? If so, why didn't you warn me?!? I got to the end and found "the riveting conclusion of the story, All Clear, will be out in Fall 2010". EVERYthing was left as cliffhangers. And I'm terrible about remembering things so I'm going to have to reread it before the next one comes out. Sigh...
Ugh, really? I heard it was a two-parter (publishers choice, not Connie's apparently), but I didn't realize it ended entirely in cliffhangers. Brutal. Maybe I'll wait.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”