Album costs whatever you want to pay!!!

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
seamusz
Launchie
Launchie

Album costs whatever you want to pay!!!

Postby seamusz » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:17 pm

This might be old news to you all, But for those of you who don't follow Radiohead, they just released their latest album In Rainbows. They are selling the album independently online and when you order the downloadable version of the album, you name your price and then download it. I thought it was pretty cool. Anyway, check it out.

In Rainbows
Strangers passing in the street by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me....

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:30 pm

Even if I wasn't already a huge Radiohead fan, I would buy this album. I think it's a great business model and I hope more bands follow suit. This is the type of paradigm switch that the music industry needs.

Since Radiohead made little to no money off of each individual album sale, but they got a bigger cut of the concert ticket prices and merchandise sold at their concerts this is a win win scenario for them. They get lots of word of mouth advertising and good will out of the deal, and consumers get an album that they can try before they buy - legally.

Pair this together with Madonna dropping Warner Music in favor of a concert promoter as her label and I think the music industry is waking up to the fact that concerts make more money than albums.

For the record I paid 5 Euros (plus tax) for my copy - works out to be approximately $11.00.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:03 pm

Thats crazy. It seems that people all over the place are moving towards a good faith type system. I know that when people give that kind of freedom to me I'm more than generous but I feel guilty easily (so I of course want to avoid it). I wonder how its playing out for them. That is pretty cool though.

Salaam

seamusz
Launchie
Launchie

Postby seamusz » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:51 am

Just found this very interesting Time Magazine article, looks like a trend is being set.

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0 ... 73,00.html
Strangers passing in the street by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me....

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:38 pm

Forked over a little less than I'd normally pay for a CD and way more than the artists would be getting were they still attached to a label. I'm hereby no longer buying music associated in any way with the RIAA.

edited to add: And the album is GOOD!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”