Update on tranfer/upgrade and a rant

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Amka
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Site Admin

Update on tranfer/upgrade and a rant

Postby Amka » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:11 pm

Most of the database is transfered over. On the other site, we have the upgrade already running. I myself haven't yet had a chance to take a look at it, except I know Vlad used a green theme.

Anyway, we are still waiting on register dot com. Yes, I'm going to say their name because they are mired in procedure and "I couldn't have made a mistake, I never make a mistake" mediocrity. With other competitors, how do they possibly think they can afford this kind of poor service?

No matter. Soon we shall be free.

So, we may have a freeze, in which we update the database to the most recent posts, but it will be relatively short. I'll be honest, though. I'm anxious. There are always glitches in these kinds of things. By being prepared, we're hoping to avoid them but these gremlins... they are very good hiders.

What I'm excited about is that we will have website (apart from the forum) content open to registered users.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:43 pm

Yay! I'm looking forward to this. Here's hoping it all goes through with only the most minimal of hitches.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:52 pm

*crosses fingers*
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:22 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :)
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Craig
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Really Alai

Postby Craig » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:19 pm

We talking about another forum? Sorry, I've been out of the loop for so long...

Salaam

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:41 am

Just switching hosts, and possibly a slight change/upgrade to the forum software? And a new rest-of-the-site, apparently. In any case, we're keeping the current posts this time.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Amka
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Amka » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:43 pm

Arg! They still haven't switched us.

I guess we will have to freeze things for longer.

Aaaand the gremlin shows his face. Due to security in the program, passwords do not transfer. You will all have to request a password change when the transfer is complete.

This makes me doubly anxious. When I tried to get on here to try to fix things, I couldn't remember which password I'd used to I requested a change and this software never sent it to me. I am here right now because we hacked into the system (Which we could do simply because we have keys not available to anyone else). Vlad assures me that this is because the email server at our other place was having serious problems, and it wouldn't be a problem here. Still, I do want to test it. Probably take a mod with me and have them try to change their password on the "new" pweb. If there is a problem we can get it ironed out before.

Amka
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Amka » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:22 pm

It looks like we lost a few posts. I'm not exactly sure how. Sorry to all of you users whose communications have been exiled to the ether. And to think that the juicy confession I posted is now gone forever.

But this seriously beats losing it all.

Sigh: We are still getting spam users. The reason users can't email through the site is easy: I'm sure the spammers would take advantage of it.

But I'm hoping some of the other software glitches are now fixed. Tell me if you get any bugs.

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:02 pm

Thank you or all the work you've done.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:39 pm

Is the member name/birthday thread gone?

If it is, on the one hand I'm okay with it because some people never liked it and on the other, I'm a little upset because I did spend time trying to update it.

Other than that little inquiry, thanks for moving us to a more secure home. :)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:38 pm

The list is available here, if you wanted to recreate it. But that may not be completely up-to-date; I don't remember when it was last modified.

dgf hhw

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:56 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phpbb#Security
The CAPTCHA system in phpBB2 has proven vulnerable to automated registrations, with numerous phpBB-based forums being swamped by spam registrations. Due to the feature freeze, the antispam solutions have to be installed separately. The phpBB team has published recommendations on protecting the boards from spam. At the moment, the best method is to use a question-answer challenge, implemented by Textual Confirmation or Registration Auth Code MODs.
The enemy's fly is down.

Amka
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Amka » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:10 am

I have no idea how we could have lost the birthday thread. I thought maybe just the sticky got lost and so when through to try and find it, but it simply isn't there. There was a lot of copy pasting into the database because for some reason it wouldn't automatically take in the new database. So maybe I guess I do have an idea that perhaps it got lost between sections that got copied.

Thank you guys for the info on how to patch the system. I knew when I saw the visual recognition that it was just way too easy for software recognition.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:21 am

For those wondering about the difference in topic page numbers, I think there used to be maybe 20 posts per page and now there are 15 posts per page, hence more pages.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Amka
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Amka » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:58 am

So who thinks that a fill in the blank "The enemy's gate is ___" is too elitist?

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:38 am

So who thinks that a fill in the blank "The enemy's gate is ___" is too elitist?
It's okay but there are a few PWEB'ers who would not have been able to join if we had used that back in the day. Most notably Limegiver, who did not read EG for many years. Come to think of it, I don't know if he ever read it.

But, for the most part, I think it's a good idea. We might want to change the thing up ever now and then though, because I suppose that eventually one of the spammers might take the time to get the answers and then write up a bot that can fill in all the blanks.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:27 am

The list is available here, if you wanted to recreate it. But that may not be completely up-to-date; I don't remember when it was last modified.

Beautiful, zero, thanks. I'm pretty sure that's it with all the updates. It had been a while since anyone asked me to add/change anything.

Since John originally wanted it, I think I'll let him decide if it goes back up in a thread and how it goes back up if it does.

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:32 am

oh.. well.. i think it should be back, and that you should just make a thread with the stuff in there for me to sticky...

dunno what everyone else thinks though, so i'm happy to let others decide. i figure the bday stuff should be there at least, even if the other data is not.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Re: Update on tranfer/upgrade and a rant

Postby Eddie Pinz » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:24 pm

What I'm excited about is that we will have website (apart from the forum) content open to registered users.
Amka,

I know you are still working out the kinks with the forum transfer, but I was interested in what kind of website content there would be? Would it be similar to the content what was on Pweb 2.0? Will users be able to contribute? And what is the timetable on it?

No need to rush a reply becuase I know you are busy, but just somethings that I was interested in having answered.

Thanks.

Amka
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Amka » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:48 pm

Well, we are rushing because if we don't we'll lose momentum here and it won't be put up.

Anyway, it actually IS up now. I got my keys to use it this morning. The software is similar to blogging software, but more powerful, meant for an informative site kept by several people. We can have several sections. We can have polls. I saw it for about 10 minutes this morning between taking care of some things here and going to my workout.

So later this afternoon or evening, I'll post a link to it.

We ARE in fact looking for content moderators. This means you guys. I have a backup of all the content from the very first Pweb. The book covers, artwork, etc.

I am working on a book, and need to have it finished by the end of the year. I have a preschooler, a kid in elementary, middle, and high school. I am the language guru and narrator at http://www.geekatplay.com. So I'm a bit busy. So what I need is for someone to take all that cool stuff I have and organize it into the website.

ANTI-SPAM

As for the authentication phrase, I think that the people who come on here are either here because they love Ender's Game or a friend recommended the board. So they can ask, easily. In fact, it is recommended that the answer actually be given within the forum because this is mostly to stop spam BOTS. But there are human spammers. A legitimate user can easily get this information. So we may actually be able to stop those, too, by having information very easily known to any Ender's Game fan, but confusing to anyone else. I will have a sticky "New Users Instructions" post.

What do you all think?

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:19 pm

Sounds good to me!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:15 am

I changed it to 35 posts per page from 15. But was it 25? I can't remember.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:21 am

I am pretty sure it was 35 a page.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:40 am

It was 35, including the original post, and 34 without it.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:46 pm

Should I get who the screaming figure is?
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

Noodle
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pastamancer Tony
First Joined: 06 Feb 1916

Postby Noodle » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:45 pm

It's okay but there are a few PWEB'ers who would not have been able to join if we had used that back in the day. Most notably Limegiver, who did not read EG for many years. Come to think of it, I don't know if he ever read it.

But, for the most part, I think it's a good idea. We might want to change the thing up ever now and then though, because I suppose that eventually one of the spammers might take the time to get the answers and then write up a bot that can fill in all the blanks.
Since I was the one who introduced LG to the site, I would have passed on the correct answer to him. At the same time, if we're just asking a fill in the blank question, why not make it something obvious like "The sky is the color _____" This way any english speaking human should be able to answer, but someone would have to write a bot to answer that question to sign up. Since the question always has the same answer anyways, a spammer that read EG could still join.
Co-Founder of the Canadian Alliance

I'm known as Tony on the internet.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:52 pm

Maybe we need something a little more math oriented? :stoned: (It is in fact ln(2), if anyone's wondering.)

Edit: No stoned kermit? I demand stoned kermit!

dgf hhw

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:59 pm

I'd love it if we could get the old smilies back. Or really, to just get rid of the current freaky-looking defaults. I have a bunch of the old ones saved, but no skill to re-attach them to pweb.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:57 am

Maybe we need something a little more math oriented? :stoned: (It is in fact ln(2), if anyone's wondering.)

Edit: No stoned kermit? I demand stoned kermit!
If you look at the graph of sqrt(atan(x)*sin(1/x)), it seems to go to zero (or is that undefined?) as x -> 0. So, then the answer is just the limit of ln(2+0) as x->0. There is no remaining dependence on x, so it's just ln(2). But it's been a while since I've done limits (like, oh I don't know, 9 years).

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:51 pm

Philotic Web is two words.
The enemy's fly is down.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:57 pm

If you look at the graph of sqrt(atan(x)*sin(1/x)), it seems to go to zero (or is that undefined?) as x -> 0.
sin(1/x) is undefined, but you know -1 <= sin(1/x) <= 1, and since lim atan(x) as x->0 is 0, then lim x->0 of atan(x)*n where -1 <= n <= 1 is 0, so the whole sqrt is zero.

dgf hhw

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:02 pm

You boys are making my head hurt.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are