An update on me

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

An update on me

Postby Hegemon » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:56 pm

Some of you might mention that I have been pretty much gone for awhile. Well... things have been pretty bad in my life and tonight they're going to get a lot worse.

Over the last few months a number of bad things have happened in my personal life, most of which I prefer not to share. But suffice it to say I have lost a lot of my faith in myself as well as the world. I've found it harder and harder to deal with things, basically retreating to my bed for the last 5 months.

I had originally intended to take the summer off to relax before looking for work. I needed a break from things and it was pretty much the last chance I would have for an extended break before retirement, since when you get started in the work force you don't tend to leave it until the end. Sadly, that break was overshadowed by various issues in my private life that took away most of my ability to enjoy it.

Truth is that there is one thing in particular that I have always been rather secretive about, that has been bothering me immensely. That thing is what is coming to a head tonight and why I felt that i should make this post, because I think that some of you should know part of why I have been so down for awhile.

I suppose you should learn about my background a bit first. As you might already know, my mother is South African and my father is Greek. Sadly, my very existence is the result of a very stupid decision by my mother. See, she wanted a child. Back then she had reason to think she could raise me alone, not having much interest in having a husband. When she met my father, she basically followed through with that. She got married because at the time bastards were not as socially accepted as they are now. Her plans came apart soon thereafter. Her reasons for thinking she could raise me alone fell through and then she was hit with a serious post-partum depression which made her not have the strength to leave my father.

My parents don't have a "marriage", at least within any conventional sense of the word. They don't share interests, sleep in the same room or even talk very much. Outside of a meal a day, they have fairly little interaction.

The reason I tell you all that, is because of the what comes next. See, most people when they know about my dad, cannot understand why she would marry him at all. My father is basically not an adult. He literally has the emotion and impulse control of a 5 year old. He has the education of a 10 yr old, as that is when he stopped going to school, and he is not the kind of person to pursue intellectual activities on his own. Naturally, he is very hard to live with. He blows up and starts screaming over the most minor things (it can be something as silly about a meal not turning out right) and then will sulk for hours on end. With his impulse control problems, he's also got problems with drinking. All that being said, he is actually a good guy. He seems to care about people and he loves his children very much. He's not a good father by any stretch of the imagination, but that is because he is incapable of it. If effort always led to results, he would be top notch.

For a long time I have known that my father cannot survive on his own. He's always been taken care of someone, whether it be my mother, his mother or his first wife. The only thing he is really capable of doing is working (he's a cook), which he is good at.

Tonight my mother is going to tell him that she is leaving him.

When I was little, I was always worried about my parents getting divorced, likely similar to any kid from a problem family. When I was around 11 or so, I broke down over it. My mother told me that she would never leave my father, because he cannot survive without her. I took her at her word and much of the security in my life was as a consequence of that.

In April 2003, my mother told me that she intended to leave my father. This led to a number of fights between myself and her and has likely irreparably damaged our relationship. We used to be very close, but quite frankly I don't trust her anymore. As a matter of fact, due to that and some other events in the last few years, I don't find that I can make myself trust anyone anymore. I understand that what she said to me then shouldn't be taken so seriously, as it was obviously an attempt to calm a worried child, but I have a very long memory. In the end, it was decided that she would stay with him until I was done school, giving me the support I needed to get through it.

See, I totally understand why she would want to leave him. He's a pain in the ass to deal with. But on the other hand, I felt that she took it upon herself to ensure his well-being and due to some rather strict and perhaps archaic views on honor, I feel that she is honor-bound to do so. Naturally she couldn't have the same level of freedom that she would if she were alone, but I feel that she should try to take whatever pleasure she can within certain boundaries (much as I have done with my own life, which is another long story).

My parents bought a house about 5 years ago. By bought, I mean they have a 25 year mortgage. It's the first time since i was very little that it looked like we could actually own land. For a long time we basically had nothing, as we went through a bankruptcy that essentially caused us to lose everything. My father has a tendency to buy various knick-knacks and decorations for the house and over the years it has killed me knowing that they were for nothing.

My father is very proud of our house. It's really nothing special. Kind of a typical townhouse, in an okay neighborhood, but it is something he can show for all of his years of work. He's been working for nearly 50 years now and he has nothing. When I was younger, he used to work upwards of 80 hours a week to ensure that we had food on the table. In a few minutes, my father will essentially lose everything he has worked for. He can't maintain the place, and there is no way that either parent could afford to pay for it on their own, so it will be sold. Right now he has a home, and in a couple hours he'll learn that that is no longer true. All those years of work and he will have nothing to show for it.

And this brings us up to the present. Tonight my mother is going to tell him that she wants to live alone. I am utterly terrified. I haven't been able to keep anything down since Sunday morning *i literally have not had a morsel of food in that time* and I can't even stomach most drinks outside of water. Earlier tonight while talking to my mother I went into dry heaves, not vomiting simply because my stomach is utterly empty.

Firstly, I am freaking out over how my father will react. Like I said, he's explosive and volatile. Thankfully, he's not the violent type, so I don't see him doing something like hitting my mother. But I know he will scream and rave and quite possibly walk out. At which point, I will have no idea where he is. He'll likely go on a bender or something, but I'll have no idea where he is or what he is doing. Whatever his response is, it won't be rational. The best I can hope for is that he will scream and yell and then go to his room.

But even then, that's the tip of the iceberg. My mother would love to hep him find a place to live and whatnot, but he's too proud to listen. Without help, he's pretty much f****** since he can't even speak proper English. Not having her around, there won't be anyone to curb his drinking anymore either. I also don't think that he will feel like there is much point in not doing it, since he's basically lost everything in his life.

Truthfully... I am 26 and I am quite certain I will not have a father when I am 30. I imagine that he will drink himself to death. I honestly wish that I was exaggerating, but the truth is that I have never met another man quite like him We've all had people that are impossible to deal with, but the only ones I have seen that are this irrational tend to be children or the mentally retarded. Since I don't think there is anything clinically wrong, I can't have him committed somewhere either, and if I tried I doubt they would be able to do anything to ensure that he stays.

Over the last few months, I lost a good many things in my life. My days are spent desperately trying to rid my mind of its demons. My nights are spent having nightmare after nightmare, to the point where I am terrified of sleeping much of the time. As of tonight, I will have lost the only thing left in this world that matters to me. I find myself wondering what the point of going on is, because it seems like an exercise in futility. I've already lost everything, so I don't have much of a reason to go on. All I imagine is that if I do go on, I'll eventually build up something that matters to me, which will then inevitably be taken away from me like everything else has. So yeah, life is pretty bleak. My mother is well aware of this and is doing whatever she can to help (including getting me doctors and whatnot to talk my problems over), but right now all I can really do with myself is stay in bed, in a state somewhere between being awake and being asleep.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:18 pm

John...I've always worried about you, you know? You've always kept so much to yourself, so I'm glad your mom is trying to get you some help for your depression. I would hate to think that your entire life was so gray and will stay that way when I know, and hope you come to know, that not everything that is good in this world can be and will be taken away.

I do hope things turn out for the best concerning both your parents and you. I just wish there was something I could say that would actually be helpful.

Hang in there; at the very least, you have us and we're a pretty good thing to have.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:54 pm

Just because you've got nothing now is no reason to quit. It seems to me more reason to keep going.

Stay strong, Bro.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:23 pm

You know I care about you and I'm praying for you and your family.

Let me know if you need/can handle a day of moderate distraction.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:35 pm

John, I've missed you and actually have been thinking about you lately. I wish there was something I could say to make it all better, but I know there is nothing I can say. All I can do is give you this great big *HUG*!!! Hang in there, ok?
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:54 pm

:::hugs:::
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:37 pm

From one broken home to another, my best wishes to you and your family.

Not a single person here will tell you this won't be hard. We'd be lying if we did. There are some of us who come from those broken homes. Each of us has a unique twist on it, but we all understand what you're going through. We empathize.

But you will survive. You're strong. And when you're not, you have those around you to help you stand -- I think all of us here would say that we're here to carry you when you think you can go no farther. You're part of our family -- our big, dysfunctional, incestuous family we call PWEB.

If there's anything any of us can do, just let us know.

ZOOSEX!!!

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:24 am

I cannot possibly begin to understand what all of that is like to go through. All I can offer is to be there for ya as a part of pweb. We're all here if you need anything (that we can actually help with).

And seconding what Ollie said... lows are low, man, but that doesn't mean they stay that way. I don't know if "hang in there"s really help at all, but... hang in there.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:26 am

Many people here will attest to the therapeutic nature of some of the threads of PWeb, John. Perhaps keeping yourself involved in them may make give you some reason to want get out of bed. Or maybe I'm just talking out my hole since I want to see you around PWeb more often. In either case, try to keep us updated man, we want to hear how you're doing.

v-girl
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Dr. Posts-a-Lot
First Joined: 23 Mar 2001

Postby v-girl » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:06 am

Hey John, I know we haven't talked for awhile, but I've been thinking about you. Just want you to know you have my support. *hug*

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:30 am

I suppose you all deserve an update on what has happened.

In many ways, the worst possible scenario came true. My father basically gave up on life. He's told us that if it's over, it's all over. He'll leave and cut off all contact with everything and everyone.

Using a Greek phrase he basically said that he would be with the devil. This basically means he is giving up on his life. He has not intention of going to work or trying to make a life for himself.

He says that his pride won't allow him to contact anyone. He can't bear people knowing that he's had another failed marriage.

We told him that he can't do this to me. That I need a father, that in this time in my life in particular, I need to know that my father is okay. Sadly attempts to reason with him failed utterly.

So this is basically where we are now. The worst possibility has happened and I have lost a father.

What does this mean for me? Nothing good. I haven't been able to get out of bed for months and I don't see any reason for that to change now. Most of the time I resort to valium to help make things bearable, but sadly my shrink didn't give me that much of it and i am sure to run out soon since I am using a lot more than was originally expected.

My days are spent trying to hide from my demons... I watch tons of tv, all of which are either old sitcoms are silly tween/teen disney shows like Zoey 101, because they remind of me a simpler times when things were easier. They help me forget that the demons are waiting.

When they get too hard for me to handle, and i feel like i am about to explode, that is when the valium comes in. It numbs me a little and makes me feel like something resembling a human being. Then for a bit I feel a little slow... my body slows down, my heartbeart stops going over 140 beats a minute and for a little period, I get a taste of peace.

Then the sleep comes... frequently i stay up 20+ hours, because I am afraid of sleep. So much of my life I have loved sleep, partially because I can't usually get enough of it, but now I am afraid of it. Frequently I say I am asleep while I am on away, but usually I'm just doing my best to keep my mind occuppied. Some people here know that I have had nightmares my whole life. I remember a lot of my dreams, in a lot more detail than most others seem to, so I am used to nightmares. In some ways it toughed me up because I got used to dealing with horrors nearly every time I closed my eyes.But things with my dreams have changed... I am used to nightmares, but they've gotten exponentially worse. The most horrible things I can imagine, I face every night. Almost nightly I wake up either in tears or gagging from what I have faced.

In the end, I don't know what to do.... I don't have any dreams or hopes from the future anymoe. Nor do I have a plan, or an idea of what I will do. I am lost... in a black abyss with no light and no way out. I have no idea what I am supposed to do anymore, and even if I did, I don't have the strength for it any longer. Whatever inner strength i once had is long spent and all tht seems to be left is an overly fatty, smelly husk of a man.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:23 am

*hugs*

I am so sorry that you have to be going through this. Do know that I am praying for you and your family, and that I care for you, as well. If you need to get out of the house for a bit, my place is free, as well.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:47 am

Please don't give up John. You are so loved...*hugs*
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:56 am

John, look how many people care about you. I KNOW you're strong enough to pull through this.

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:18 am

John, we all care about you, and we know you can make it through this. You are a large part of what Pweb has been to me ,on the board and in chat.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:37 am

John, get help. You owe it to yourself to seek more help then what you're getting.

You have the support of everyone on this board, you've helped us all in some way or another over the years. You mean alot to all of us.

*hugs*
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Amka
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Site Admin

Postby Amka » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:38 pm

Hey John,

This is what I want you to know. Pweb almost died about a year ago. I considered just giving up because it didn't mean that much to me. It cost money, the rest of the site was and now is even more in a shambles, and no one else really seemed to want to actually take care of it.

But you did. You poked and prodded me and said you would help. Because of you, it is still here.

When I came back this time around, because the software was whining so much (lots of admin emails coming to me) I saw that this community was thriving and beautiful. Some of you have been here from the very beginning. I couldn't let it go. I wanted to become part of it again. And you were gone and I worried about you, because I knew you had been an important part of it still being here.

So let me say it again, John. Because of you, PWEB still exists. You are kind, helpful, thoughtful and a number of other wonderful things that make your existance important.

You can't choose what your parents did and the consequences you've suffered from that and genetics. But you can choose what you do. You can find family and community elsewhere and no matter what you've lost, you can build a life. My husband lost everything but his crazy mom and his brother, before he met me. His education was suddenly worthless. His career was destroyed. He couldn't even speak the native language well enough to be understood by more than a handful of people. But he has built a life now.

You can do that. Start over and make this life beautiful. It is scary, freaky bottomless pit of hell scary. But it is possible. And I KNOW you can do it.

vendor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby vendor » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:51 am

You may not be able to see clearly now considering the circumstances. A lot of the world doesn't deserve your faith/trust. But a lot of it does. Find that part of the world and make lemonade.
...but paranoia is all I have!!

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:19 pm

... and make lemonade.
Excuse me, but we don't drink that filth here. We're not savages.

We use limes like civilized people.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:32 am

*hugs John tight*

I haven't been on here for a while, so please don't think I was just ignorning you.

You probably still have my number kicking around somewhere, feel free to use it whenever you like, for whatever reason.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Amka
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Amka » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:12 pm

Still around? Haven't posted in a couple of days and I'm a little worried considering some of your most recent words on this forum.

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:00 pm

Yeah... I am around as you likely figured out when I asked where this thread went, haha.

It's kinda spooky seeing the threads get moved over a few at a time. So strange when i came to the board earlier today and half a full week's worth of history had seemingly disappeared.

Violet
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Violet » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:17 pm

Get in here John and give us an update.
~Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!~

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:02 pm

well... we just got a msg from my bro and it turns out that my grandfather is in hospital and is not expected to make it through the night. Not sure what exactly is killing him though. Currently trying to get ahold of my bro to figure it out.

Amka
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Amka » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:22 pm

Was he pretty much healthy before?

And what about you? You, how are you doing?

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:30 pm

Was he pretty much healthy before?

And what about you? You, how are you doing?
No. He's a 92 yr old diabetic. From what my brother told us, it sounds like heart failure.

I'm feeling terrible for the same reasons as always. This is just another hassle to put up with. The biggest problem is the timing of it. My father is too proud to tell people about the upcoming divorce, so he'll feel terrible keeping it secret. Plus now I gotta go and chaperone the whole bloody affair, which is likely going to lead to a physical altercation with the brother I don't like. If my grandfather had died before my dad knew of the divorce, or a few months after it happens, things would be a lot more convenient.

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:07 am

Well.. i am at a loss for words. I passed out a bit earlier *sorta literally* so I didn't get to posting this til now.

My grandfather lives with my aunt and uncle. Neither of them speak proper french or english. My grandfather was all swollen and felt bad, so he told my aunt to take him to hospital.

His heart was doing weird things. Beating over 160 beats a minute, his balls were swollen and his lungs were filling up with fluid (they actually removed 3 litres of fluid from them).

The doctor told my aunt something. She's an idiot. Not all that sure what she was actually told, but she took it to mean that he would be dead within 2 hours and then told the rest of the family this, causing a bit of a stir. She also gives them a DNR.

My brothers drove like maniacs to get to the hospital and run in to ask what's going on. The doctors tell them that my grandfather is fine. Yes this were bad, but they didn't think he was going to die tonight. They figured that if anythign would kill him, it's the DNR order. The doctors now also think that my family is nuts, as well as mind-bogglingly stupid. I can't say that I disagree with that assessment.

Because of this, in the future if there's a problem, the doctors will call and speak to either my brothers or cousin directly...

So his death has once more been postponed. I am happy because now was really not a great time for him to die. But if he dies before the house is sold and my parents are in their new places, I will be royally pissed.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:54 pm

"Excuse me, sir, but would you mind terribly not dying at this moment?"

I'm praying for you, and your family, and the whole crazy mess, TJ.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:30 pm

Man.... whenever my bro calls there's never any good news....

Tonight he calls... Turns out my grandfather's going into renal failure. This is not a good thing... Firstly it means he is likely to die sooner rather than later and secondly because if he doesn't die soon, I imagine the rest of his days are going to suck (I imagine dialysis is unpleasant).

But that's not it.... nosiree, there's more f****** up news from my family. Turns out my other brother, one who is ironically named after my dying grandfather, attempted suicide. This leaves me feeling rather numb. Truth is that I don't like the guy, so what he does doesn't bother me too much, but on the other hand I imagine it will disturb my father. This isn't really a good time to depress my father, so I am not too thrilled about his attempt...

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:49 pm

*Hugs*
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Amka
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Amka » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:49 pm

Hey,

I'm keeping you and your family in my prayers too.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”