Stupid things that people say

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Stupid things that people say

Postby anonshadow » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:30 pm

Sometimes, people say mind-numbingly stupid things. Things that, (at least to you,) everyone should know. Things that are just so damn stupid to say, and it takes all your restraint not to flip out and jump down their throats. Or, alternatively, you do flip out and jump down their throats, but you're still not quite over how obnoxiously stupid it was.

I am having a conversation right now with a girl who I actually really do like--she's very sweet. I'm talking about wanting to travel, and wanting to see some friends, but that they live so far away that it's hard to find the time. She asks where, and I say, Canada.

So she says: well, that's not too bad. is it? because canada's not too far from new york.

....... And now I seriously want to tear my hair out. Because Canada is a big f****** place, and while the border could certainly be farther from New York, my friends do not live on the border. Canada is a BIG f****** PLACE. There's Toronto, and there's Vancouver, and they're a world apart. That's like saying that the United States isn't that far from Mexico.

Sure.

If you're in Texas. If you're in Alaska, it's f****** far!

This unreasonably upsets me. It really does.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:43 pm

My understanding is that the majority of Canadians are massed on the U.S. border, ready to attack when you least expect it.

Canadian overlords wouldn't be too bad, though, free healthcare and waffles in the morning. But I wonder if you get whipped for incorrect pronunciation.

"Don't you know how to say aboot, aye?"

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:50 pm

Shut up Jebus. Don't give away our battle plans.

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:56 am

All I have to say is this: http://www.overheardinnewyork.com

primevere
Launchie
Launchie

Postby primevere » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:01 pm

I have a basket full of goodies for this page. Let's just say I have gone to school with some "interesting" people in my life. One day in a class this one girl asks "is it possible to get wood with no lines in it?" later after finding out that those "lines in the wood" were the grains, she says "oh, I thought that was just a design!"...

News flash chicky, think before you speak...
WSNBM/ONBP

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:17 pm

some woods have such a light grain pattern that it's impossible to tell that it's there. so yes, it is possible to get wood without the lines. :P
Ubernaustrum

primevere
Launchie
Launchie

Postby primevere » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:18 pm

true, but this girl has always said some stupid things and she really thought that it was a factory defect that you could see the grain pattern in the wood.
WSNBM/ONBP

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:21 pm

i know what you were saying. i was just making a comment. :)
Ubernaustrum

primevere
Launchie
Launchie

Postby primevere » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:23 pm

yea... well another one that she has said was her response to where the white house is... and she's like "oh oh !!! i know, its in Denver!" ....
WSNBM/ONBP

Nova
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nova » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:31 pm

last year I had a really bad science teacher and we were learning about the rainforest. so when we learned that it rained there, this girls said "it rains in the rainforest!? i thought it was called the rainforest because it never rains!" i just sort of stared at her.

primevere
Launchie
Launchie

Postby primevere » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:35 pm

wow, how i love people like that. Keeps everyone guessing as to what kind of stupid thing they will say next.
WSNBM/ONBP

primevere
Launchie
Launchie

Postby primevere » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:40 pm

I would really have to say that my favorite stupid thing people say moment would have to be this one conversation I had over the internet with someone from a different country than canada. I won't disclose where this person is from but the conversation went a little something like this (be advised I was totally playing along to this persons stupidity):

Me
other person

------------------------------------------------------------

"your from canada right?"
"yes"
"is there always snow there?"
"well obviously"
"hold on i have to take my polar bear for a walk"
"wow, i thought that was just a stupid story that canadians own polar bears... do you live in an igloo too!?"
"why yes i do, but i can't stay long, when the computer heats up the ice melts around the computer and its a icky mess"
"oh dear. talk to you later"
WSNBM/ONBP

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:31 pm

*giggles* That's terrific.

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:18 pm

It's not exactly something that was said, but things that people don't know that they just should.

My friend is a psych major, and she said that some junior psych majors at our school still do not know the difference between a dependent and an independent variable... junior psych majors. I need the banging-head-on-brick-wall smilie now.

And then in my linguistics class, we had to go over the fact that testing more than one variable at a time does not work. In a 300-level course. ARRRGHHHH!

:evil:
"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

peterlocke123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby peterlocke123 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:42 pm

my chemistry teacher: "now, some elements are named after the people who found them..."

kid i my class: "but, does that mean there was someone named oxygen?"

the rest of the class bursts out laughing...he ALWAYS asks these stupid questions...another:

during physics, same kid: "why would anyone want to measure the speed of light in a vacuum?"

he thought vacuum meant a hoover vacuum cleaner...

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:49 pm

Oooh, this embarasses me. It's actually something that I thought, not something that I said (until I told my best friend about thinking it), but it's pretty damned stupid.

I was rereading Kushiel's Scion.

There are two characters that I strongly feel should end up with each other, Imriel and Sidonie.

Imriel is close to Sidonie's sister, Alais. Alais once dreamed that she and Imriel were really sister and brother, as opposed to their relationship now (second and third in line for the throne).

That depressed the hell out of me, because there was talk in the book about Imriel and Alais marrying two siblings from another country, and I'm like, "And it has to happen, because that's the only way they'll ever be siblings. Imriel and Sidonie will never be together..."

... because, of course, marrying Alais' sister would not make Alais his sister in law.

*headdesk*

primevere
Launchie
Launchie

Postby primevere » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:51 am

Like i said earlier, i have a basket full of these stupid things people have said....

Well this next adventure was during french 30 this year. Everyday we do a prayer in front of the class on what we have wrote and one day this girl wrote a prayer and threw it into a translator online got "Thou art wild spinach...". It was hailarious at the time... Note to self: never directly translate things online and then display them infront of a class who speaks french... thank you KIM!

Also in french there are these two girls that always talk and are kind of weird and one day, one of the girls was like "I go crazy at 9:00" and the response was "am or pm".

There have been many "interesting" times and stupid things said... there will be more posted by my later.
WSNBM/ONBP

bean head
Launchie
Launchie

Postby bean head » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:03 pm

i overheard a classmate of mine wonder aloud as to whether one could by unpickled pickles...
this is the same girl who asked somebody how the planned to drive to alaska when alaska is obviously floating in the pacific ocean, just north of hawaii...quite a stunning revelation to find out she's wrong, i imagine...

Petra
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby Petra » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:06 pm

I love all the Kushiel books.

And I know I said something really stupid earlier today, but now I can't remember it...
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:08 pm

I don't want Imriel and Sidonie together. For one, cousins. Ew. For two, I just don't like Sidonie.
-Kim

Petra
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby Petra » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:13 pm

Oh, I want them to be! But I think this is a different thread...
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:59 pm

My senior year of high school, I went on a school trip to Italy. On the flight back to Philadelphia, one of the freshman girls (who has lived in a suburb of Philly her entire life), saw a magazine with "Philadelphia" on it, and said: "Philaelphia has a 'd' in it?"

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

Epi
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Epi » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:33 pm

Anonshadow: Well your 'location' here does say NYC ;) HEHEHE

I have a basket full of goodies for this page. Let's just say I have gone to school with some "interesting" people in my life. One day in a class this one girl asks "is it possible to get wood with no lines in it?" later after finding out that those "lines in the wood" were the grains, she says "oh, I thought that was just a design!"...

News flash chicky, think before you speak...
As long as you don't spend hours a day tracing those grains in a wood as a path to the gods... hyuk hyuk :)

Hmmm.. I have seen stupidity at such amazingly huge proportions that it's almost impossible to talk about without just wondering ... why?

For instance, talking to a patient I am examining:
'can you look up?'
'okay'
.... nothing happens
'look up okay?'
'okay'
.... nothing happens
'do you understand me?'
'yes'
'look up'
'okay'
*looks down*

*my head explodes*

Actually I'd say my daily existance is dealing with stupidity, but oh well.

Another story..I have a friend named Christian. He went out with a Jewish girl... So he goes over to her house for dinner and her parents ask:

'So are you a Jew?'

Sometimes I wonder if it's pure stupidity or just purposefully meanspiritedness :)
Epi's Anime Blog:
http://www.animeslice.com

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:29 pm

Another story..I have a friend named Christian. He went out with a Jewish girl... So he goes over to her house for dinner and her parents ask:

'So are you a Jew?'

Sometimes I wonder if it's pure stupidity or just purposefully meanspiritedness :)
Actually, I don't think that's really stupid. Awkward, but not stupid, lol. Just because his parents named him Christian doesn't mean he's chosen to be Christian... just like my friend Christine, who's Wiccan. :)

Miss Abbie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Miss Abbie » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:48 pm

Today in Latin class my teacher says, "if you go running repeatedly into a brick wall, well, that's sort of stupid."

He was not using it as a metaphor.
If you ever find yourself reading a book entitled The Bible, you will find yourself reading the story of Adam and Eve, whose daring lives led them to put on clothing for the first time to escape from the snake infested garden in which they were living.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:29 pm

'So are you a Jew?'

Actually, I don't think that's really stupid. Awkward, but not stupid, lol. Just because his parents named him Christian doesn't mean he's chosen to be Christian... just like my friend Christine, who's Wiccan. :)
I agree that it seems like a bit of a silly story, but it's true that there's very little chance he would be Jewish. Judism, for the most part, has very few converts. No Jew would ever name their child "Christian".
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:42 pm

Today in Latin class my teacher says, "if you go running repeatedly into a brick wall, well, that's sort of stupid."

He was not using it as a metaphor.
That sounds like my struggle with Latin pronouns.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:02 pm

Jani on the phone about my sig: Oh tumbleweed, now I get it!
The enemy's fly is down.

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:40 pm

I agree that it seems like a bit of a silly story, but it's true that there's very little chance he would be Jewish. Judism, for the most part, has very few converts. No Jew would ever name their child "Christian".
Ah, good point. Touche (with accent aigu). :wink:

Slim
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Peacocks can't Lurk

Postby Slim » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:02 pm

At Sonic, I was doing the Drive-Thru. After I gave a guy his food and his receipts, he accused me of charging him too much. The total was at the bottom, and since it prints out before they pay, it also prints the change from a dollar below that. He was adding the change to the total, so he thought he was being charged $4. He used a credit card, so I after explaining the thing about the change, I pointed out that the total was printed on his credit receipt. (note also: by his logic, I undercharged him)

But I told him the change line was just so we could do our job faster, and he accusses me that I can't do math!
A signature so short, it's
Slim

Nova
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nova » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:58 am

someone in my class asked when the 4th of July is. lol
the opposite of war isn't peace...it's creation.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:18 pm

I think this seemed a lot stupider at the time than it actually is, but... oh well.

Someone wrote something on a mirror that's in the hall of my dorm in dry-erase marker, that incorrectly used "your." I don't remember exactly what it was, but it was in a similar vain as, say "Your not attractive... sorry" (remember, this is on a mirror).

Spotting it, a friend of mine wrote "You're grammar sucks," with an arrow pointing to the "your." (I'm trusting readers of this can spot the irony.)

Some people walked by it later, and saw the two messages. A bit perplexed by the second message for a short while, someone got it, and laughed, and said (paraphrasing): "Wait... did they mean to use that 'you're' incorrectly?"

...no. Clearly we just pointed out a grammatical mistake, while making practically the same mistake in doing so. Of course it was an accident. We're just that stupid.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Paul
Soldier
Soldier
Title: sparkie_adams

Postby Paul » Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:40 pm

What? I thought Alaska was an island near Hawaii...

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:54 am

I have a friend who is the classic stupid question guy. One of my favorites:

We were talking in Chemistry about how many elements were named after people. So this guy (his name is Colin) pipes up and asks "You mean there was a guy called Oxygen?"

Another from that same class: We were talking about the synthesis of urea, which was a landmark in organic chemistry and Colin asks "He made pee!?" and we had to explain that no, he made urea.

I'll try to think of some more.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:49 am

When I was in middle school, I had a friend famous for stupid questions.

I once told her I was going upstate for the weekend. Her response?

"Upstate Manhattan?"

Yesterday, I was seeing Stranger Than Fiction with two friends. We were buying our tickets, and this man came up to the woman as she was giving us them and said, "Can you tell me when the 2:30 movie is?"

Return to “Milagre Town Square”