Stupid things that people say

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Fris
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Fris » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:05 am

So, there are a bunch of us looking at a map of Tanzania, discussing the trip we were about to take. Someone asks where the flight stops on the way; Rome, Italy. One girl looks the map up and down for about five minutes before finally asking, "Where's Italy?"

That particular girl didn't end up going on the trip, but a good friend of hers, with about the same level of geographical knowledge, did. The year following the trip, one of the guys had an exchange student living with him. We had a get together at his house, and this girl starts asking him about where he's from. He's from Finland, and she of course has no idea where Finland is, so he starts telling her that it's next to Japan, and she completely buys it.

Good times...

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:26 pm

Living on the 9th floor can provide some good opportunities for elevator stupidity.

I got on the elevator at the first floor and pressed 9 (the buttons glow orange when you push them), and a woman with a suitcase came in and requested I press 8, so I did. Then she said, "Do you live on the 8th floor too?" Yeah, I just wanted to press the 9 button to piss off whoever gets on the elevator after us.

The second one actually happens a lot. Let me explain how the elevators work: There is a down button and an up button on each floor (except 9 -- the highest -- and the basement), which glows orange until your elevator arrives. When an elevator opens, there is an orange arrow on the doorway pointing either up, or down, depending on the destination. My friends and I were coming up to the 9th floor, and the elevator stopped at some middle floor (6th, I think). The woman got on, looked at the glowing "9" button, and said, "Oh, you're going up?" Apparently the orange up arrow and the still-glowing button on her floor didn't convince her.
"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:59 pm

Eh-Luh-Vay-Tors?

What are they? We use ladders 'round here, work well enough.

Mahatma
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Mahatma » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:04 pm

:D

Right, right. Lifts, then, if it makes you happy... :P
"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!"

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:02 am

A 9th grade girl I used to hang out with:

Dumb girl: You know how there are Chinese people that are, like, not Chinese but are like Japanese?

Me: Yeah, Asian people.

Other girl: Well even though they look the same to us, they are all like really different. Like some aren't Chinese even though they look Chinese.

Me:*trying not to give her a look of "what are you? a 5th grader?"*

I haven't talked to her the same way since. :shock:
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:37 pm

Honestly, I think I'd take more offense at the clumping together of all Asians as those who look Oriental, or East Asian. Asia is comprised of multiple regional areas where people have similar physical features, such as facial features and skin tones. Saying "Asian people" implies all of these people, from Russians, to Japanese, to Malaysians, to Indians, to Israelis, look as if they were of only eastern Asian decent. Which is obviously incorrect.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:42 pm

Guh, I have a group of friends that insist calling an Indian "Asian" is incorrect. I can't tell if they're saying it to bug me or not, but they claim that since India is a sub-continent, "Asian" doesn't apply to people from India.

Then I brought up Russia and their heads exploded.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:07 pm

Haha, I do call Indians "Subcontinentals" almost as much as I call them Asian. And I generally call east Asians Oriental.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:15 pm

I just call them Indian. There are several classifications, so why not just go with the simplest?

And if you are really technical, "Asian" is used in the wrong way frequently. But when most people say Asian, they get where you're coming from, right?

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:24 pm

I'm not sure what you mean about Asian being used incorrectly a lot. It's that logic stuff. All Orientals are Asians, but all Asians are not Orientals.

The Indian Subcontinent contains not just Indians, but Pakistanis, and the people of Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. So subcontinental refers to a greater range of people from a certain (edit:) region. I personally just enjoy the term in general, I think, but it is also a good way to get around calling an Indian Pakistani or vice versa, after the tensions between those two countries.

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:25 pm

*extremely amused*

I do find it amusing that most American Caucasians can't tell Many East Asian nationalities apart. I mean, to me, as one of those mixed up East Asianers, I can totally tell the difference between a Chinese person, a Japenese Person, a Filipino person, a Thai person, etc. But many people just call Asians plain Chinese. And people continue to categorize by looks. Like Mich said, Indians being Asian is "incorrect", Or Russians not being Asian at all. :roll: People thinking of "Asians" looking strictly Oriental is stereotypical. Buuuuuttt, I'm not offended by the people who are thus narrow-minded. Like I said, it's amusing. :P
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Peterlover14 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:26 pm

I mean it's used incorrectly because when people say Asian, they mean Oriental, just like you said. But technically, that's wrong.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:32 pm

I think you are getting what I said backwards.

Orientals are Asians.

Some Asians are Orientals.

However, classifying all Asians as Orientals is incorrect, as they are not.

Jeesh, I find it amusing, too. Though I'm pretty bad at telling Southeastern Asians apart. I can generally get Vietnamese, but I always mix up Filipino and Malaysian.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:08 pm

Step 1) Go to Google Image Search or any other place you find images or videos through searching.
Step 2) Type in: Asian
Step 3) ???

99.9% of pictures and/or videos are of orientals. Thus, while the continent of Asia has many different ethnicities, "Asian" is almost distinctly referring to orientals in present day context in the United States. From there we can make distinctions such as "Indian", or less commonly and the more confusing "South Asian", "Russian", "Pakistani", etc.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:43 pm

Orientals are Asians.

Jeesh, I find it amusing, too. Though I'm pretty bad at telling Southeastern Asians apart. I can generally get Vietnamese, but I always mix up Filipino and Malaysian.
Wait, so when my soup is Oriental flavoured... does that mean it tastes like an Asian person?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:54 pm

Wait, so when my soup is Oriental flavoured... does that mean it tastes like an Asian person?
So I had Asian flavored ramen soup for dinner???

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:56 pm

So I had Asian flavored ramen soup for dinner???
If you think that's bad, I'd advise you against eating clam chowder.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:31 pm

Orientals are Asians.

Can I just play it safe and say "yellow"? :P

That reminds me of about a week ago when a couple of my coworkers (one of whom is Asian, that is, Chinese) asked me if it's okay to use the term "negro".
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

JayeIIe
Launchie
Launchie
Title: Clone Ducky

Postby JayeIIe » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:36 pm

That reminds me of about a week ago when a couple of my coworkers (one of whom is Asian, that is, Chinese) asked me if it's okay to use the term "negro".
:shock:
One Duck to fool them all...

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby human. » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:36 pm

But even yellow isn't covering everything! As my dear Indian friends refer to themselves, and the occasional southeastern Asian, they are brown.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:41 pm

Er, when simplifying it down to colors, Hispanics tend to claim the Brown. La Raza! Chicano/a por vida! Etc.

(But whatever.)

JayeIIe
Launchie
Launchie

Postby JayeIIe » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:44 pm

If you're going to be honest, the majority of people in this world are shades of brown.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:46 pm

This isn't about honesty, this is about segregation. Sheesh.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:48 pm

:shock:
It's all in good fun although it was a serious question. Besides, it's great when you're comfortable enough with people to say racist things and know that you won't offend them. Provided, of course, that you don't mean them. I like my coworkers. :D
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

JayeIIe
Launchie
Launchie

Postby JayeIIe » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:51 pm

This isn't about honesty, this is about segregation. Sheesh.
I think I'm going to get my pinkish-freckled butt out of this thread before I'm the stupid stuff people say. :)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:02 pm

No worries, Clone Ducky, I shall pick up the Stupid Stick and carry it forward triumphantly.

One of my oldest friends is very pale -think shiny, shimmering Twilight-vampire splendid pale- enough so that I had way too much fun pressing my fingertips into her arms to watch her skin turn white then pink (or was it pink then white?). I'd also pretend to be able to see through her. Fun times.[/stupid]

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:41 am

Guh, I have a group of friends that insist calling an Indian "Asian" is incorrect. I can't tell if they're saying it to bug me or not, but they claim that since India is a sub-continent, "Asian" doesn't apply to people from India.
Actually, I'd say the same thing, but for the argument that referring to 'Asians' does not refer to people from Asia (though obviously some are included).

Driveways aren't for driving on. "Asian" does not colloquially refer to Asia (except for geography).
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:01 am

Now, what would be cool is if people came out in stripes :D
I mean, kitties can be striped, why can't we?

Maybe i should work on how to modify the human dna to allow that possibility... 8) And then insert it in the whole species unbeknownst to them...

mwahahaha *evil scientist laugh*

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:03 am

One of my oldest friends is very pale -think shiny, shimmering Twilight-vampire splendid pale- enough so that I had way too much fun pressing my fingertips into her arms to watch her skin turn white then pink (or was it pink then white?). I'd also pretend to be able to see through her. Fun times.[/stupid]
:lol:

I <3 you.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:22 pm

:lol:
Seriously? I've felt like such a moron after much of what I've posted in the past few weeks and that particular post was all the proof I needed that it was time to take a step back. How funny.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:06 pm

You're always your own worst critic.
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Return to “Milagre Town Square”