Writer's Garret

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
KennEnder
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Secret Agent Man
First Joined: 0- 0-2000

Postby KennEnder » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:17 am

Hey Ollie. Sounds pretty good. For a contrast, here's my take on it:

Trey Thorn, his mind still swimming with the last remnants of sleep, managed to concentrate his thought: lights on. Obediently, the room lit up, illuminating his wife, Beth Armstrong, who sat staring at a large wad of unformed wet clay on the pedestal before her. Her arms, sleeved in dried brown silt, hung limply at her side. White gauze enshrouded her head.

"What were you doing sitting in the dark," Trey asked, working himself up onto one elbow. Windows open he thought, and tiny motors hummed to life and the shades drew wide, casting the room into bright sunlight.
Share this dragon - If you do - Lucky end - For them and you! Petra

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:08 am

Minor question of a technicality (and I'm only drawing from what my sisters have talked about, here) but is it silt or slip?

Otherwise, I found what you wrote made sense, especially if the pattern of using "to think" transitively continues throughout the story. It will seem odd at first, but if it is frequently used, the reader should catch on before too long, I would expect, and have no trouble.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:41 pm

Rei, I think he actually meant "silt", as in "earthy matter, fine sand". Meaning that her arms are covered with the remnants of working with the clay. Not that she had a slip like garment covering her arms.

And Ollie, I like it. I think some of Kenn's suggestions are worth considering too.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:58 pm

Slip is a very thin, muddy liquid which is used when working with clay, especially for joining pieces and sometimes for colour, as well.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:37 pm

Ah, so many different meanings of words! When you said your sisters I naturally assumed a girl's piece of clothing. :D
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:47 pm

I think the last names make it a bit awkward. Is there a reason you need to know them in the first line? Also the "his wife" bit is awkward as well. I would say either her name or refer to her simply as "his wife" and tell her name later on.

"He thought the windows open and they did" The implication here is "they did open" which doesn't make grammatical sense. Maybe you meant "AS they did, tiny motors..."

The sentence about Beth is alot of telling and not showing. I'm just placed in the room and told "this is here, that is there", I'd rather see the characters interact with it.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. As this is a rough draft and will most likely be reworked a few times, I'm not going to address the line edits so much. Basically, I'm relieved to know that the science fictional elements weren't too confusing.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:17 pm

Ah, so many different meanings of words! When you said your sisters I naturally assumed a girl's piece of clothing. :D
Heheheh, no. They're just far more willing to play with mud than I am.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Oliver Dale » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:32 am

Hi all. Forgive the following shameless self-pimpery. In an effort to gain publicity for their upcoming anthology, IGMS has made one story from the first four issues of the magazine free. My story was picked for issue three. So if you didn't want to fork over the $2.50 to read it the first time, you can check it out now and then tell your friends what a crappy hack I am.

http://www.intergalacticmedicineshow.co ... ticle=_004

Oh, check out the other three stories too. Good stuff (I think).

NWS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby NWS » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:59 am

ScottR had previously provided pimpage for you, but when I checked on the 15, there was still no link to the full text. Thanks, Ollie!

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:12 am

Managed to read yours before class this morning, Ollie, and what can I say. I mean, damn.

Pretty durn good, yurp.

Don't really know what to say besides the norm. Good imagery, slight foreshadowing, you allow the reader to figure things out for themselves. I think you stayed away from adverbs, which I'm a big proponent of, and shows your strength as a writer. And characters that aren't annoying! Something I seldom see enough of, anymore, especially in a short story.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

NWS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby NWS » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:42 pm

I would venture to heap praise upon you, but what could I say that would be better than actually getting published?

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:13 pm

YAY OLLIE!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:25 pm

Too bad Scott himself didn't pick the story. ;) Anyway, I read it when it was released. Loved it. A female friend of mine insisted that she would, at some point, make babies with you and Tim Pratt.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:58 pm

*bump*

For the first time in 2+ years I am actively working on a new piece of fiction. By fiction, I mean a novel. It is completely out of my comfort zone in every possible way. I'm struggling, with names, with the voice, with the intricacies of the plot...but I haven't felt this DRIVEN to write in ages. It's absolutely breath-taking.

Nothing ready to share yet. Mostly just wanted to acknowledge that I'm working on something, and that it feels really right at the moment.

Does anyone else write to a soundtrack? I somehow seem to pick songs that match the mood of what I'm working on. Then I put 'em in a playlist and listen to it while I write. It's never something I do consciously, but it always seems to happen somehow...
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:18 am

*bump*

For the first time in 2+ years I am actively working on a new piece of fiction. By fiction, I mean a novel. It is completely out of my comfort zone in every possible way. I'm struggling, with names, with the voice, with the intricacies of the plot...but I haven't felt this DRIVEN to write in ages. It's absolutely breath-taking.

Nothing ready to share yet. Mostly just wanted to acknowledge that I'm working on something, and that it feels really right at the moment.

Does anyone else write to a soundtrack? I somehow seem to pick songs that match the mood of what I'm working on. Then I put 'em in a playlist and listen to it while I write. It's never something I do consciously, but it always seems to happen somehow...
That's awesome, Kelly! The need to write is so fun when it pops up, even if you have no idea what to write or how to write it. I'm hoping my need stays away until the end of October... last year it popped up mid-August and I had to hold off, and then it was gone by the time NaNoWriMo came around. It was pissed.

And I always write to a soundtrack. I abhor playlists, so I normally start with a song that fits the mood, put it in Party Shuffle (or Genius, now that that's out, I suppose), and then just delete songs that I think won't work. It's a great way to get inspiration. Picking out theme songs for characters is fun, too.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Oliver Dale » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:33 am

Good on you, Kelly. I know how it feels to bust a dry spell wide open and stomp gleefully on its remains. Keep it up and let us know how it goes.

Maybe we were drinking the same koolaid, but I just got a big surge myself. Last month I wrote a 17,000 word novelette that I hope to polish up for Writers of the Future. I also dusted off an old short story that I kind of liked, and tweaked it into one that I really like. Now I have to see where I'm gonna send it.

In the meantime, I'm floundering for the next idea. Damn short stories! They expend themselves so quickly. Better luck to you on the novel.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:14 am

I think it's the pweb koolaid because I'm about to bust open a writing drought problem. In my case though, its because living in the place I've been living for the last fifty weeks has been like having a horcrux around my neck draining me of creative energy. Cannot wait to get out into my own place.

The only thing I've really managed to accomplish this last year was a complete edit of my one finished screenplay, and that edit was done over christmas break at home, all I did in my apartment was transfer the red ink changes to the computer file. :-p

There are going to be two big boards on my bedroom wall, one a dry erase board, and the other a peg board. The peg board will give me a graphical way to control flow and scenes, the dry erase board is to keep track of ideas and brainstorm. :)

Classroom sized boards, I can't wait. :D
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Oliver Dale » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:29 pm

I have ALWAYS wanted a huge dry-erase board in my house/room. That would be awesome!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”