NaNoWriMo

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

NaNoWriMo

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:38 pm

Okay, kids...

Who is doing it this year? I finished my novel last year, so, I'm looking forward to doing it again. Of course, I have some rather personal history with NaNoWriMo that will likely keep me coming back, but that's besides the point.

Anyone started character development, plot outlines, whathaveyou?

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:58 pm

Ugh. I wish. I Wiiiiiiish.

I wish I had a novel in me. I'm dying to write one.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:02 pm

I have always wanted to do this and never had time. Ironically, this year I have time and very little motivation.

We will see.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:06 pm

I will write over 100,000 words begging people to accept me into their internship programs.

I swear, two years from now I will do a NaNo based on that.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:07 pm

Some sort of grad-school fantasy. Where you defeat the dragon and use its horde to buy 10,000 packets of ramen. Or pixies take up residence in the cramped little grad student office.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:54 pm

You so do. I challenge you.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:18 pm

I've had one kind of fuming about... I suppose I could try to enter this year.

[Edit:]Well, since I've been pretty much thinking about it almost non-stop since I posted this, like, however many hours ago, I suppose I'm doing it. I sort of started a couple pages absolutely ages ago, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to rewrite them.

So Mich is in! Any other takers?
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:54 am

I'd love to try, but five classes all 300+ and two days of work a week tell me that it would be academic suicide.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:27 am

I'd love to try, but five classes all 300+ and two days of work a week tell me that it would be academic suicide.
Nonsense! I'm taking six courses this semester (two level 300, four level 400), working 35-40 hours a week at one job, 10 hours a week at another, and trying to manage a social life.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Oliver Dale » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:40 am

Gasp! Oh no you didn't!

Wanna make it a bit of a competition?

Word for word...

NWS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby NWS » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:45 am

Need a reader?

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:42 am

Gasp! Oh no you didn't!

Word for word...
Only if I can keep working on my current novel. But the words already written wont count.

Otherwise, hell yeah!
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:17 am

Come on, Rei. I'm taking five classes and working 30 hours a week. Of course, my classes are 200 levels, but still. It's not like it's a priority that comes FIRST, just one that comes when you have spare time. You can do it!

Row--row.

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Oliver Dale » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:28 am

Gasp! Oh no you didn't!

Word for word...
Only if I can keep working on my current novel. But the words already written wont count.

Otherwise, hell yeah!
You almost made me wet myself. I didn't think you'd accept!

Umm.. Uhh..

I have to think of a novel to write... Umm.. I need to decide on a genre!

Oh, and NWS, I'm not sure if you meant me, but of course I do! But I wouldn't inflict a rough draft novel on you; I like you too much :)

NWS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby NWS » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:33 am

Of course I meant you.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:40 am

Geez, I don't know what schools you guys are going to, but I never had time when I was in classes. Not November, when all the exams and essays and stuff start coming due. You're all nuts.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:44 am

Geez, I don't know what schools you guys are going to, but I never had time when I was in classes. Not November, when all the exams and essays and stuff start coming due. You're all nuts.
I'd have to agree; I was a writing major, and it was all I could to find the time to write fiction for my classes!
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:11 am

Seriously. 3-4 papers of 8-16 pages each (it varied), 200 lines of Latin each week, take-home exams... November's bad enough as it is.

This year, I am not in classes. And I just can't seem to muster much motivation. I think I'll blame my independent studying for my non-participation this year. Next year when I'm busy, I will, of course, want to write.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:35 am

Come on, Rei. I'm taking five classes and working 30 hours a week. Of course, my classes are 200 levels, but still. It's not like it's a priority that comes FIRST, just one that comes when you have spare time. You can do it!
Exactly. It's all about time-management. It's not easy and I'd be lying if I said it was. But, that's why we do it, isn't it? I have between 150-191 pages of essays to do this semester. Plus my senior thesis for Honors in the Literature department and another in the History department (another 20-30 pages each). That's not counting the everyday homework assignments and such; that's just the "term papers," "research papers," whatever you call them. I'm a busy man.

Hell, my professor has eight children between the ages of three and seventeen. She teaches at four colleges/universities (for a total of 8 classes), owns her own business (three stores), plays a big role in community theatre, and still manages to do NaNoWriMo every year. She's much busier than I am.

Time isn't the problem. It's an excuse. If you're going to sit around and wait until you have "time," you'll wait forever. Because it will just be one thing after another cutting into your "free time." Budget it. You can still make academics the center of your attention without neglecting everything else. It'll be hard. But you never know what you can do until you try, right?

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:01 pm

I think we're just going to have to agree that what works for one person doesn't work for everybody. "Lack of time due to schoolwork" isn't an excuse. It's a reason, and a very valid reason. Maybe I could have hacked out 50,000 of the crappiest words ever written when I was in school, but my schoolwork would have suffered, my friendships and relationships would have suffered, my Latin would have suffered, my sleep would have suffered... I would have suffered.

And if I (or anyone) makes the judgement call that school is more important to me than NaNo, no one should be making fun. The quality of my work is very important to me, and my academic aspirations demand very high quality. And it's not just about time management. It's about priorities. NaNo was never very high on my priority list. It was something that would be fun to do sometime if I ever had the time to spare. It's supposed to be fun. It's not the be-all and end-all.

So lighten up. Stop pressuring people who have different priorities. Your standard is not the universal standard.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:47 pm

Ali, I'm not making fun of anyone. I'm not saying it's for everyone. I'm not saying that you--or anyone else, for that matter--are some kind of evil person for not doing it.

I'm saying that doing it while it college (or even high school) is possible. I've done it. Several of my friends have done it. Thousands of college students across the nation have done it. People with lives far busier than our own have done it. That doesn't mean that you should do it. Nor does it mean you have to. It means what it says: it can be done and it is done by many people.

You've decided that it might be something you'd like to do someday, but you don't want to spend the free time you have doing that. That's fine. I'm not judging you for that and your insistance otherwise is more than a little silly.

But that's not what Brent said, is it? He said that he'd love to try, but that it wasn't possible for him to juggle it with five classes and working twice a week. Which may very well turn out to be the case. Maybe he can't. But he'll never know that if he doesn't try. And given the plethora of people who have done just that -- and more! -- I think he has a shot. By no means am I saying that it should take precedence of his academic work. I've said just the opposite. But to say that it can't be done is the specious part.

Honestly, time really isn't the issue. How you manage that time is. And, believe it or not, prioritizing is part of time management. The time is there, whether you choose to utilize it or not. The average computer user types 33 words a minute. That's less than an hour of writing per day. If you can type 50 words a minute (which is on the low-end for most college students), it's cut to about half an hour. Of course, that doesn't include time to plot and such, but that doesn't have to be done at the computer. Everyone has time to let their mind wander; take a notebook and jot some notes.

It's certainly not for everyone, though. And I didn't mean to come off like I was saying that -- though, I think you read a lot more into it than was actually there, but I digress. The point wasn't that everyone has to do it. The point was that everyone that wants to do it can, or at least try. It isn't academic suicide. It isn't the death of your social life. It doesn't mean you're going to get fired from a job. It just means you spend between twenty and fifty minutes a day actually writing instead of doing something else. We all have an hour somewhere through the day that we can give up, even if it's spread out. I write during meals. I plot as I walk between classes. The time is there, if you're willing to utilize it.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:57 pm

I'm taking 0 classes and working 60-70 hours a week. If it's not a top priority, it won't get done. I spend what little spare time I have checking various boards online where I can at least pretend to have a social life.
The enemy's fly is down.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:46 pm

Sorry, I actually didn't mean what I said to be any sort of pressure. Just... a nudge if the person was just looking for excuses. If you honestly feel that having it there would distract and actually hurt your schoolwork, then by all means, don't enter. You would be a much better judge than me on how it would affect you. I know that if I had a completely crammed schedule (and, thankfully, my classes aren't too taxing on my time outside of class), I wouldn't put the pressure on myself to get something else done, even if it were "optional." Heck, I've obviously done so for the past four years or so.

But, if you actually WOULD have spare time, and I have about an hour extra a day, time allotted for homework, then be encouraged that you'll be able to do it. 'cause I'll be juggling school/work/NaNoWriMo, too.

Row--row.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:11 am

I've finally found some time to catch up on pweb. And I can say that in my first week I have close to a hundred pages of reading and over forty lines of Latin to do, and the time that it takes to do that is well over half of my free time (I've taken to doing Latin on the subway). And I've tried to do NaNo before, and that takes well over half my time as well. So I think I can safely say that I do not have sufficient time to do both in their entireties, meaning I will drop one to do a better job on the other. And the one I choose is the one that will help me into grad school.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:40 pm

I've decided that I may - MAY - attempt NaNo this year. IF I can think of a half-decent plot, and IF my other commitments look to permit it by the beginning of November. I don't know if I'll ever have another November free enough to try it, so I will this time, if I can.

Ua Lava
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Ua Lava » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:31 pm

I'm thinking about it, although I'd much rather write a play. I'll see in about a month when I actually know how much work I'll have to do in November.
We are only human. Nothing more, nothing less.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:10 pm

I'm thinking about it, although I'd much rather write a play.
Well, there is Script Frenzy, created by the same bunch of people, but it happened in June, so you kind of missed the "real" time to do that. Though I suppose you can make any month you want to the month.

Row--row.

ratesjul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ratesjul » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:40 am

I will probably write a NaNo this year ... if only because it would seem really really weird to not be NaNoing during November. I've participated and won the last five years - some of which have gone better than others.

That said, perhaps I should start thinking of a premise or a plot or something.

ratesjul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ratesjul » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:25 pm

I think I have a premise!!!

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Oliver Dale » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:10 pm

I think I have a premise!!!
Damn you. I am aquiver with jealousy.

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Oliver Dale » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:41 pm

Everyone ready?

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:34 pm

Oh, yes. I have an outline... character sheets... specific timing plans... it is going to be oh-so-fun.

And my roommate is in. So even more motivation. Who else?

Row--row.

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Oliver Dale » Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:37 pm

You have an outline, character sheets, a plan, AND a supportive environment!??

What the hell!

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:06 pm

I'm probably out. I barely have time for real-life stuff.

ratesjul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ratesjul » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:19 pm

I'm having trouble choosing between two ideas...

And, in the mean time, I'm beating up my computer.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”