NaNoWriMo

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Re: NaNoWriMo

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:32 pm

Incoming! Who's doing it this year?
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:45 pm

I am doing it again! You may notice even I kept away from this thread last year: I figured I had neither the time, energy, nor ideas.

But this year I have an idea that I've been prepping for since... sheesh, May? I have a map and towns and people and an outline. It's for reals.

What about you, elfy?
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:43 pm

Picking up a story that I started 3 years ago (yikes! I'm getting old, it was only junior year of college! why is that so long ago!), and put down when I ran out of time. So I started the month with 11k words, which let me slack off this weekend for comic-con =) But I sat down today and wrote about 900 words, plus got back in the flow of the story and reread it and did some editing so that was productive. It took me a while to warm up into writing and remember who the characters were. I put a ton of time into doing the worldbuilding for this though, so I want to get a real pay-off from it in terms of telling a complete story.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:04 am

I put a ton of time into doing the worldbuilding for this though, so I want to get a real pay-off from it in terms of telling a complete story.
I'm trying to use my actually built world this time. It's really helped me flesh out things, and actually have stuff to go into tangents about or just hint at the existence of. It's made things a lot of fun, in other words. Normally I just come up with an idea and write by the seat of my pants. What kind of stuff did you do to build out the world beforehand?

Row--row.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:34 am

As with every year, I don't have time to NaNo. But despite that, last night I was writing character sketches and outlines anyway. So hurrah!
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:55 am

I put a ton of time into doing the worldbuilding for this though, so I want to get a real pay-off from it in terms of telling a complete story.
I'm trying to use my actually built world this time. It's really helped me flesh out things, and actually have stuff to go into tangents about or just hint at the existence of. It's made things a lot of fun, in other words. Normally I just come up with an idea and write by the seat of my pants. What kind of stuff did you do to build out the world beforehand?
My starting point was wanting to tell space opera on human timescales without using standard FTL-tropes. So the first thing was coming up with the technological underpinnings and place setting that would make such a story possible, and then trying to figure out what a society would look like in that type of an environment, both in terms of economics/governance, and in terms of day-to-day stuff and idiomatic speech. And then trying to figure out what kind of characters I wanted to write about and what kind of story I wanted to tell, once I had that setting. I spent a lot of time mathing to get the spatial and temporal scales tuned to one another. The two biggest things as a starting point were working out the power sources involved, and the transportation/communication technology involved, which obviously needed to be cracked together, and once I had that, everything else began to coalesce. I have a mix of some fun (for me) high-concept hard-SF, mixed with a small amount of handwavium, but I think it's nonstandard handwavium (and it certainly is in the application), which makes it more fun. And the analogy driving the handwavium inspired me to draw on some mythological sources in a way I otherwise wouldn't have thought of.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:32 am

Robot roll call!

I actually managed to get ahead by a day this year. It just started happening randomly; I would finally get the swing of the writing right when I was about 200 words away from the daily goal, and suddenly it was 400 words later. It all worked out really well, since I traveled for Thanksgiving for the first time in a long time.

Row--row.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:20 pm

I did really badly. I think I only actually stuck it out for 2 or 3 days. Being disciplined is hard.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:31 pm

Yo. Creeping out of lurkdom to say that November is ten months away, and yet I really want to do NaNoWriMo right now. Feeling so strongly about it that I came here to whine. The end.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:30 am

Is anyone doing the camp NaNoWriMo currently? I was on amazon buying a case for my birthday gopro and it popped up books....ender/ bean series popped up. Reminded me of all my friends here I've not talked to; then I found this.

I am currently Writing (and hopefully a rewrite edited) a fantasy short story called Devil By Mistake
Pweb member since 2002

"Remember kids...A smart man knows when...to run like a little bi**h"
-Desert Punk

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:15 pm

I am attempting (and failing). I'm doing a very modified version--multiple short stories and a lower word count goal. I've been way out of practice with writing in general, so I'm hoping this well get me back in a writing/storytelling groove.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

EAGLE
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EAGLE » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:40 pm

I haven't written anything yet...I'm so distracted
Pweb member since 2002

"Remember kids...A smart man knows when...to run like a little bi**h"
-Desert Punk

Return to “Milagre Town Square”