NaNoWriMo

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Re: NaNoWriMo

Postby Young Val » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:50 am

Woo! 2079!!!!

Shannon, 4k is AWESOME!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:49 pm

Clearly you should be doing the entire thing on a typewriter!
I thought about doing this once, but realized it would be a nightmare to count, and a nightmare to retype the entire thing and then submit it to officially count as "winning" (although I could just submit ANY ol' 50k words to win).
I wasn't being too serious, but I'd assume OCR would work pretty well for something written on a typewriter, which would make that a lot easier.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:23 am

I've been avoiding really getting to my story because I don't think I can do it justice. It intimidates me to no end. But I was running out of fluffy plot and ranting today, so I took the plunge. The first key event in my story has taken place. The adventure can officially begin. And I am terrified.

But it feels good. Real good.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:39 pm

Friday's pep-talk was awesome, by the way, NaNo-ers! In case you missed it. Like I did. Because I spent most of yesterday getting caught up. But you should read it! It's about a NaNo that became a real book, and has some tips that I've already been screaming at you from the helicopter as you parachute into this jungle. And some other, less-awesome tips that you should nonetheless pay attention to even if they don't come from yours truly.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:55 pm

Okay, I totally suck.

I got a new computer without my file on it, so I used that as an excuse not to write for... three days. How did THAT happen??

Back to an insane writing frenzy.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:27 pm

Hey guys! With today's writing done, that puts us at just about 1/4 of the way through! Weeee haaaaw! Hopefully you're all trucking along. Those of you who I have on the site (and I think that's most/all of you who bother) are doing great, even if you don't think you are.

Today is actually a really great day to look back at what you've written (not in-depth, just word-count-wise) and ask if you're doing things write to say on track for your goal! If it doesn't look like you'll reach the normalized 50k, don't give up or do anything silly like that. You just need to revise your actions you're taking to get there, or, barring that, revise your goal! Set it to something more realistic for you, or try something new to help you write. I sometimes take a short nap before I write, then crack open a fresh beverage to help spark my mind up a bit while still being in that super-eloquent writing-mood that waking up gets me in. Well, I've done it once, but it really, really helped. :D

Also: remember to backup your stuff today! If you've been keeping it all in one file instead of going the "new save every day" route that we've discussed, make sure to save a new file TODAY, at least. It's not worth the heartache (and extra excuse not to write).

Finally, is anyone interested in maybe some novelling exercises? I could maybe whip one out once bi-weekly or something, questions to help you get more involved in your story or maybe develop your characters a bit beyond what you're going to be writing. I normally hate sharing the results of those kinds of things with people, and you might, too, but I know that they really help you get moving in one direction or another.

Row--row.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:03 pm

I haven't written since Friday. Please convince me not to give up.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:23 pm

I haven't written since Friday. Please convince me not to give up.
Pfff, so what's three days? It's not like you "have to" make anything up or anything! Don't think about the time that you didn't write, or the amount of words you're behind on. Seriously. Just jump back on the horse, start writing again! Make an easy goal for yourself for today (or tomorrow): 1000 words, or maybe the actual 1666. If you're actually, truly worried about getting caught up, there's no reason to do it all in one go. Do 2000 until you are! Seriously, it's only 400 more words. 400! That's nothing. Just like 500 is nothing, really. That's maybe three good-sized paragraphs. Heck, I don't think I wrote an essay in high school shorter than that. And this is about something that you want to write about. So write about it!

Remember, this isn't anything you should be forcing. It's something that you want to do. Hell, if you're like me, you put off writing, just so you could do it in November. So what the heck is stopping you?

Row--row.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:53 pm

So Monday I was super proud of myself because I hit the 1600 daily word goal for the first time. But between today and yesterday I've only gotten 600. I could pretend busyness, but I've been no busier the last two days than I was Sunday and Monday.

This story needs written. I need to get back on track.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:54 pm

Okay guys.
We're halfway through the month.
This is it. This is where you decide if you're really going to do this or not.

Oh, wait, no it isn't. Because you're not actually "not" going to do it. Because you're a writer, gosh-darnit. You may not be the best at it, you may not be the speediest, you may not stick to any outlines you thought up, your character might turn out to be brattier and more idiotic than you had hoped, but come on. This is what you live for. This is what you stay awake all night planning out, what you think about as you work and cook and talk to people, mentally taking down notes about how people act and strange situations you've found yourself in that some part of your brain--the writer part--said "this will make a good story."

And now is the time to get those bits and pieces shaken out all over your keyboard and into your word processor. It doesn't matter if you have 8000 words or 8 or are way behind what you hoped for or aren't at all. Just do it! Because we're halfway through the month, and once it's over you'll say something like "*sigh*, I failed again. Well, there's always next year." And you'll use that as a stupid, pitiful excuse to not write for one. Whole. Year. And you and I both know that, even if you think to yourself that it's the lamest excuse ever, you'll use it. That's the folly of National Novel Writing Month.

So you have two weeks and a bit more to spur yourself on. Even if you only write 50 more words, that's 50 more words of your heart poured into a virtual page. It's not a race. It's just a really big pint of the most delicious beer/soda/water in the world, but you only have this one month to drink it down. So drink it while you can.

Also, backup your stuff.

Row--row.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier
Title: is a girl!

Postby megxers » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:03 pm

If I write the minimum tonight I'm at the halfway point, but I'm really not, because I cheated, as usual (though this is the only year where I've made it past like 10,000, which is real progress). I started writing the week before because we were supposed to, so I still need to do 2,000 a day for the next week to catch up to where I should be. If I can just stop editing.... Hopefully I'll be over my concussion by tomorrow so I can catch up!! My backup strategy has been to just keep everything in dropbox, but my work computer is a Mac with Pages instead of Word, so I just end up re-reading and nit picking rather than writing/having two documents during lunch.

P.S. Loving the pep talks Mich!
So don't go worrying about me
It's not like I think about you constantly
So maybe I do, but that shouldn't affect
Your life anymore

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:16 pm

This is the first year I made it past 10000 as well! I am nowhere close to halfway, plot or word wise. I missed a few days for no good reason and am woefully behind where I want to be. But I want to make some serious progress this weekend, with at least one 5000 word day in there.

Mich, your pep talks are the great.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:05 am

You girls are doing FANtastic. For reals. Mega-super-duper thumbs up!

Row--row.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:43 pm

I haven't written for six days.

Help.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:05 am

I blame myself.

I have taken on the role of the great motivator and when there is clearly a lack of activity, I don't post. Why? A fear of double-posting. But I shall not let you down. This cry for help is not unnoticed.

Here's the plan.

Stage your own write-in. Pick a time of day when you have several hours free. Three hours, maybe. Plan for that day all day, reminding yourself that you're writing then. That's what you're doing. You're doing nothing but.

When that time comes, when the hour strikes, you are to be writing. That's what you're doing. It doesn't matter if it's inane, or you're stuck on silly dialogue that's necessary but boring to write. That's what you'll be doing. Close all of your browsers. Even if something requires some research, just skip it. Skip it and move on or make up some details or write a note to yourself and come back later when you're revising you'll fix it.

And when I say start at the strike of the hour, I mean it. Start right then. Have your music ready beforehand. If necessary, tell everyone you know so that they ask about it and possibly bug you. If you get stuck, don't. I don't mean don't write yourself into a corner. I mean that, if none of your ideas seem good and you can't think of a good way to get out of it, just go with the worst idea. This isn't a boulder blocking your way, because you can still get around the boulder, even with the tiniest sliver of a crack. It's more like seeing a rock in your way and deciding to stop and agonize over it and finally move it, or just step around it, maybe trip a little, but keep going.

If that doesn't sound like it would work for you, let me know. I got a million of these.

Row--row.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier

Postby megxers » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:21 am

<3

I am at 33,200 and those last 100 words to catch up are very elusive, especially since I should have been in bed 15 minutes ago. How is everyone else who is participating doing?
Your life anymore

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:47 am

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:37 am

This reminds me: Last night's Simpsons episode, featuring Neil Gaiman, was fantastic actually worth watching, and quite pertinent to this thread.

ETA: Also, I'm still sitting at 557 words.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:45 am

I have faith in your abilities. It's just 5000 words a day. No big deal.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:10 pm

GUYS ONLY ONE WEEK LEFT GET IN HERE.

Row--row.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:17 pm

Okay, chances of me winning are very, very low. But 20000 may be in reach. Maybe.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier

Postby megxers » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:31 pm

I'm currently on pace to finish December 3rd, though I'm hoping to beef up my word count enough today to so at 2,000 a day I can finish on time. Of course, because I cheated, I am still wayyy behind what I should be at. Though I finally re-read quite a bit and edited most of it so it is a cohesive narrative, so I THINK I should be ready to actually write everything down and hit the climax.

Theoretically.
Your life anymore

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:34 pm

long time no see.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:09 pm

I'm currently on pace to finish December 3rd, though I'm hoping to beef up my word count enough today to so at 2,000 a day I can finish on time. Of course, because I cheated, I am still wayyy behind what I should be at. Though I finally re-read quite a bit and edited most of it so it is a cohesive narrative, so I THINK I should be ready to actually write everything down and hit the climax.

Theoretically.
I saw your word count yesterday and was impressed! Good going!

Row--row.

megxers
Soldier
Soldier

Postby megxers » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:51 am

Theoretically.
I saw your word count yesterday and was impressed! Good going!
Different person, unless you somehow figured out my username. But I very much appreciate the sentiment. Though I did just add you, so now I don't have to ask how yours is going :)

I am not sure why I decided I HAD to finish today. But I am rather pleased with at least the first 2/3rds of my draft.

The rest I will get to eventually.
Your life anymore

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:39 am

I'msocloseI'msocloseI'msocloseI'msoclose

[Edit]: It's over! I'm finished! My "novel" is terrible, but I finished! I'm so proud :)

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:07 am

*jealousy*

So I didn't make it, but I did do better than I have other years (which isn't saying much, but improvement!). The first half of the month went alright--then school got crazy and I didn't make time for it. But I left my story in a place where I have to go back to it soon or it will drive me man. Maybe I'll have my own National Novel Writing Christmas Break (NaNoWriChriB?). Because I actually want to finish this story.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:12 am

Different person, unless you somehow figured out my username. But I very much appreciate the sentiment. Though I did just add you, so now I don't have to ask how yours is going :)

I am not sure why I decided I HAD to finish today. But I am rather pleased with at least the first 2/3rds of my draft.

The rest I will get to eventually.
Oh, I was looking at Claire's, I think! So yes. Wrong person. But she also did well! Yeah, Claire!

Also, guys, way to post before me, so that this looks just silly:

But awesome work this year, everyone! I'm going to get finished up when I come home from work. I think I'm only about halfway through, maybe a bit more, and I think I'd like to continue writing it. So that's pretty exciting! That hasn't happened since my first NaNo year.

To everyone who didn't "win", screw that noise, because you all did absolutely spectacular, given your schedules, family problems, weather, horoscopes, and everything in between. Keep writing, if you feel up to it! As you should have found by now, it doesn't take much time to get a page or two out a day, and it's something that even you can do without a special month for it. And if not, next year we'll be doing the same old thing! So swill those story ideas around, write down anything that comes to mind, and join us next year!

Row--row.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Sat May 12, 2012 11:13 am

Because actual NaNo usually goes so badly for me with school, I am going to attempt Camp NaNoWriMo in August. Also a kind of crazy month, but better than November. I can't decide how insane of an idea this is...

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sat May 12, 2012 2:36 pm

Woo, that's awesome! Good luck with it! Write a bestseller, etc.

Row--row.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Sun May 13, 2012 10:57 am

I've been writing, too! I don't think I'm going to do Nano again, or any sort of write-as-much-as-you-can-in-a-set-time-period. I just can't turn off my internal editor, and still be satisfied with the product.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:27 am

AAAAAAAAH THERE'S ONLY A MONTH LEFT AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO WRITE.

Honestly my plan is to *sliiiiiiiiiiightly* cheat, and pick up where I left off with last year's novel. I feel like it's only 1/3 through, and really want to kick myself into gear and write it again. Where's everybody else at?

Row--row.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:12 am

If I participate this year, it'll absolutely be working on something from last year.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:32 pm

This has been the worst year for me, so far. I haven't been keeping to a schedule at all, I'm only halfway at the current goal. I am pretty much the opposite of what I normally am.

I apologize to all of you for whom I set the ultimate example. I know this means a lot to you.

Row--row.

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:40 pm

You can do it!

I can be all optimistic this year because I'm not participating. =]

Return to “Milagre Town Square”