Dune

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Scott
Launchie
Launchie

Dune

Postby Scott » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:14 am

I didn't know where to post this, tried Book Club but it said moderators only.

So anyway, I saw the movie 1984 movie DUNE not too long ago and I loved it. I am curious about the book by Frank Herbert.

Has anyone here read DUNE and would you recommend it to an OSC fan such as myself?

Also, I have Netflix. What about the sci-fi DUNE 3 disc miniseries from 2000, or the 2-disc "Children of Dune" movie from 2003? Are those 2 worth watching?
Live every week like it's SHARK WEEK

GirlOnTheBridge
Launchie
Launchie

Postby GirlOnTheBridge » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:44 pm

The book is fantastic. I've read the entire series.
As for the movies, I've seen the miniseries version, which was good (long, being a miniseries...). I thought the costumes were a little strange but if you can get over that it is a decent movie, especially because it is true to the story, unlike a lot of movies I've seen. I haven't seen the others, but I just got the dvd and will probably watch them (the movie and extended version) this weekend.
Quam bellum est velle confiteri potius nescire quod nescias, quam ista effutientem nauseare, atque ipsum sibi displicere

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:01 am

ahh summer 1994, I was nearly ten years old and looking for additional star wars books at the library in the children's section, most were ones I already had, but for some bizarre mistaken shelving reason there was a making of Dune picture type book next to the makeing of the star wars picture type books on the shelf. it had a desert so I thought it might be related to star wars.

I took it home and read it, was thoroughly confused and my mom confirmed it was not star wars, later that week at the grocery store I was wandering through the video store section of said store (back when almost every grocery stores also rented movies) and found Dune. I checked, it was PG so I could rent it. We rented it. I liked it a lot but was still kind of confused. Later that month at a used bookstore I found a paperback copy of Dune, with the movie poster cover I bought it, and I think the used book store guy still remembers me as the ten year old that bought Dune and then returned to buy the next two books when I'd finished it. :p

The book is one of my favorites. In fact my top three would probably be Ender's Game, Dune and Speaker for the Dead. So yeah. I've read it. almost once a year since then. Tremendous book with great prose and an incredible depth to it. You owe it to yourself to read it and then read it again in a few years when it will be even better than you remember. A deliciously layered, stunning book.

And I rewatched the movie last summer and was apalled at how bad it was. :p ugh. The miniseries is not much better and I never watched the children of dune miniseries (but am tempted now that I know it was James McAvoy playing Leto II).

Adam
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”