PWEB Awards

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

PWEB Awards

Postby Hegemon » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:45 pm

We missed it in the last year and we will definitely need to wait a few months for this board to build itself up before doing it this time around, but I think we should make some decisions about it now so that when the time comes we can just get it going.

Firstly, we will need to figure out the awards that will be given. Also, if we are going to have a best noob award, we need to determine how we will distinguish actual noobs from vets who registered at the new board.

Right now the awards that come to mind are:

Favorite Poster
Favorite Newb
Favorite Mod
Best Debater
Funniest Poster
Best Avatar
Best Sig
Favorite Forum that is not Mileagre
Best Thread

and I am sure there used to be a lot more....

Edit: We also need to figure out when we will do this and how often. I have always thought that it should be every 6 months or so, but a lot of people prefer it to be annual.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:00 pm

I've always had a problem with the vagueness of "favourite poster". I think it needs to either be defined or gotten rid of. As it stands it's merely a popularity contest.

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:07 pm

To me it seems that the use of the word "favorite" means that it is meant to explicitly be a popularity contest. I always figured that is why we had more restricted categories, like funniest and best debater.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:30 pm

And you spelled Milagre wrong...I'm sure it was just a typo. :P
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:31 pm

While we're on the matter of spelling, I know you wish you were America, HA, but do you have to spell like you are?

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:33 pm

Yes... Yes I do :P

and I have to admit that I don't think I will ever spell "Milagre" properly... except for this one time :wink:

Edit: I think we also used to have an honorary award that the mods would give out.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:16 pm

I'm sure everyone has been waited with bated breath to hear my opinion on all of this. :P

Well, I kind of don't remember what the Awards are. So refresh my memory? Or give me new information entirely?

I don't love the idea of favorite poster, at any rate. It seems like a silly thing to give an award for, and too broad besides.

And what exactly would the criteria for an honorary mod award??

I would say that one stops being a newb (distinguish between noobs and newbs, people) when one has either been here for three months (is that enough?). And maybe a required post count? I guess?

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:34 pm

In the past new poster awards have gone to those who have been around for a year or less. To those of us who have been around for awhile, it seems acceptable. It means it goes to relatively new posters who have also managed to properly ingrain themselves into the community. If the awards are being done anytime soon then this one should be scrapped for obvious reasons.

The honourary award is chosen by the mods/admins for PWebbers who have been a good influence on the website and have helped build the community. Really I think this should be chosen by all the members under the category "best PWebber" which should replace "favourite PWebber".

The awards could be done every six months if you did them faster then they used to be done. As I remember it used to be all of June was used to decide the details of the awards, in July there would be the nomination process and in August we'd vote and then at the end get the results. Obviously, if it's gonna take three months, doing it every six months is silly.

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:43 pm

The PWEB awards are basically like the Oscars, but for PWEB'ers.

The awards are voted on by the members. In the past I think that we had rules on who could vote *like they had to have been around for at least 3 months, because it makes vote tampering less likely* and maybe even a minimum post count.

It was administered in two different ways. When it was originally run by Speaker for the Dead, who is no longer here, he set up a site and we had to register with him first before we went to vote on the site. This was done to help ensure that people with alternate names didn't vote mulitple times. Later on, once SftD was gone and it looked like it might not happen again, Olhado_ took ran it and got votes through PMs.

In the past a noob was a person who had been there for less than a year. This was done to ensure that any new member had a chance to be voted in as favorite noob at some point in time. Problem with it being 3 months is that if we do it annually, a person who joined 5 months beforehand would not get a chance to win the award. However, I think that if we made the awards more often we could change that.

As for the favorite poster award... well I don't mind changing it if there is enough of a push for it. As a traditionalist I kinda like having it there, but if it needs to be removed that cool as well. It really is a popularity contest.

As for the honorary mod award, I have no idea what criteria was used in the past. This is my first time in the role and it is also the first time for a lot of others, so I imagine that we will look to the senior mods for advice or come up with some criteria of our own.

Edit: Most of what i said Jebus said while I was still typing it up. One thing that I should point out is that the favorite poster award might have been called best pweb'er. I really cannot recall though.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:55 pm

The thing about a newbie being defined as someone who has been around for less than a year (besides the obvious issue with our actual join dates vs. those shown here) is that I think that in some ways it's unfair to real newbies. It is very likely that someone who has been here for 10 months will garner far more support than someone who has been here for 3, simply because the members will have had more time to get a feel for the person and connect with them. That in essence means that if you only join a month before the awards, you're not going to get it anyway, because an older "newb" will almost certainly get it instead.

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:57 pm

That is part of why it being every 6 months would be better.

I think that for the purposes of the awards themselves, I would want it to have 2-3 weeks of nominations and 1 week of voting.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:59 pm

We also need some more creative awards. Like, "most likely to consume a goat in one sitting" or "most likely to lose a fistfight with a sheep."

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:00 pm

well, we all know Jebus would win those hands-down.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:01 pm

... the goat one I would win hands down... my appetite is legendary...

And Jebus is sure not to win the second one... he has been in many a sheepen fistfight and i bet his experience has us all beat.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:14 pm

Most likely to burn down a library?

Edit: On a more serious note (because apparently somebody doesn't like the idea of joke awards, as evidenced by a lovely IM)--

How about most eccentric?

I still think that these really need some humor shoved in... I mean, serious awards are fine, but really now.

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:33 pm

Personally, I've got to vote in favor of having a Favorite Poster award. I mean, of course it's going to be a popularity contest, but I'm not so sure that has to be a bad thing, if it's handled in the right way. It seems to me that the real reason that all of us were pacing the floor when the site was down for a few days is because Pweb and places like it become really real, valuable communities, with people who really are involved in each other’s lives. Why not recognize the people who make it so important to us?

I think that maybe the reason that Best Poster feels a little harsh is because we have so many members who really contribute a lot, and having only one main award to give out is bound to leave people feeling slighted. It seems like maybe it would be a cool idea to break it up into a few other categories. Maybe things like "Best Advice-giver", and that kind of thing. What do you guys think?

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:35 pm

I like the sound of best advice giver.

pooka
Soldier
Soldier

Postby pooka » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:07 pm

Whether you like the "favorite poster" award may have to do with whether you see a difference between the Oscars and a beauty pageant. Not that there's anything wrong with beauty pageants per se, but it's different from a categorical type awards show.

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Virlomi » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:13 pm

Except we're not having a "Best Picture" award. :P

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:16 pm

butbutbutbut... I.... I made a movie and everything :(

hive_king
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby hive_king » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:47 pm

I like the idea of reintroducing it, but not so soon after the crash. We should wait a few months for the new pweb to get really established. Also, how about, "best religion debate thread"?
The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet him, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Jebus » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:47 pm

I have suggested a "Best Pwebber" award.

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:55 pm

Well, best pweb'er and favorite would likely be the exact same thing...

As for when we do it, I have no intention of getting it done until like June. But it would be good to finalize a set of categories and stuff early on so that when it is time to do it we can just get it done right away without wasting time.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:12 pm

In the past, Elena, we had a separate set of awards, the Pweb Rhazzies, with the type you suggest.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

pooka
Soldier
Soldier

Postby pooka » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:13 pm

It seems like the main purpose of "best picture" is to make the winners of "best director" complain about being disrespected.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:14 pm

i think the whole awards thing is a popularity contest. not just 1 of the awards, all of them.
Ubernaustrum

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:42 pm

I have to agree with the Brain here.

That said, how 'bout an award for oldest? ;) :P

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:02 am

I think that any sort of awards ceremony that is not based on some sort of strict numerical scheme ends up having a popularity component. So with the exception of academic awards for certain classes and some sporting events, it will always involve popularity.

That being said, some of the awards are more streamlined than that. Funniest poster and best debator awards will get the best in those categories nominated. When it comes to who actually wins in the end, there is a popularity component, but for some of us it is simply a matter of voting for who we think best embodies the award.

When it comes to best non-Milagre forum, or best thread, then by definition it must be a popularity thing. Even the favorite mod award would be primarily a popularity issue.

I think that the honorary award would likely be somewhat less popularity based, because it would focus more on members who make solid contributions but are less splashy than the others, so they lack the chance of getting other awards. Plus there is also the fact that instead of it being a blind vote, it would be based on discussions, which would hopefully lead to better overall judgments.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:31 pm

i nominate myself to ignore this altogether.
Ubernaustrum

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:29 pm

actually, i would be interested to see what would get voted Best or Favorite thread. some of the old shoe-ins haven't gotten as much action in the new forum thus far, and a lot of their draw was the sense of on-going history they contained. time would be ripe for an upset, it seems.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

vendor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby vendor » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:25 am

how about an award for the most alter-identities undiscovered in a year? say each identity has to post at least 50 times (become a soldier) then just before the award ceremonies, reveal them all. then start anew.
...but paranoia is all I have!!

AnthonyByakko
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby AnthonyByakko » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:43 am

Favorite PWeb villain.

Hegemon
Former Speaker
Former Speaker

Postby Hegemon » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:55 am

For obvious reasons, PWEB villain is out of the question.... although it might make sense in a PWEB rhazzies.

As for vendor's idea... I have to admit that I kinda like it. It is a neat idea, but I think that it could lead to a lot of spamming. I am also concerned about having dozens of prominent members who then suddenly say, "hey, I am a totally fictitious person".

Imagine the harm it would do to someone with paranoia issues...

vendor
Soldier
Soldier

Postby vendor » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:32 am

like me
...but paranoia is all I have!!

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:06 pm

For obvious reasons, PWEB villain is out of the question.... although it might make sense in a PWEB rhazzies.

As for vendor's idea... I have to admit that I kinda like it. It is a neat idea, but I think that it could lead to a lot of spamming. I am also concerned about having dozens of prominent members who then suddenly say, "hey, I am a totally fictitious person".

Imagine the harm it would do to someone with paranoia issues...

plus the mods can cheat by seeing the IPs.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”