Book Time! Susan Palwick, new favourite author!

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Book Time! Susan Palwick, new favourite author!

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:17 am

Susan Palwick has written only four books. I've read two and a half, and am working my way through to the other. I bought the first, The Necessary Beggar based on a recommendation, and when I read it, it blew me away. I've mentioned it here before, briefly, but I recently got the rest of her books and I'm prompted to write more.

The Necessary Beggar was one of those life-changing, perception-altering, never-be-the-same books.

It was tragic and beautiful and joyful. I cried both in grief and in happiness. The prose was wonderful, and I longed to be a part of the world. It's a book that deals head-on with issues of family, guilt, exile, love, and faith. But it is a rare book: it doesn't force conclusions on you, it leaves you to make your own. This is especially apparent on the topic of faith and religion. Evangelical Christianity is put in a very human light. Sometimes a force for good, sometimes blindly destructive. But not bad, evil, or stupid. And not Divinely Ordained Truth, either (I intensely dislike "altar call" books). It has become one of my very favourite books, one I will read when I'm depressed, lonely, despairing, and hopeless.

Based on the strength of the one book, I went and bought her other three. I finished Shelter last night, and it was as much of an emotional wringer as The Necessary Beggar. Like it, Shelter deals with faith, although in this case it's a Gaia-centred nature religion of sorts. Shelter also deals with themes of shelter (no wai!), forgiveness, loss, death, guilt. And also free will, compassion, mental illness, and family. I was drawn so deeply into the book that I had trouble remembering that this world is not that world, and I was mildly confused as to why my house wasn't talking to me (there is a talking House in the book). I didn't love it quite as much as I loved The Necessary Beggar, but it was still a magnificent read.

I'm now reading The Fate of Mice, which is a collection of short stories. I've read a couple, and enjoyed them both very much. I haven't gotten to deeply emotionally involved in the short stories, but that is probably because they are short.

Flying in Place is the last (although first-published) of her books, but I am waiting to read it until my boyfriend gets back from vacation. Given how involved I've been in her other books, I want someone on hand to hug if I get too caught up. Especially because this book involves child abuse and that is an emotional thing to read.

I've had dismal luck at forcing other people to read these books, for some reason. Go read them. They may not touch you as deeply as they did me, but you will at least get an interesting read. (Some sexual content, but nothing above the PG level.)
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

ratesjul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ratesjul » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:01 am

That sounds fascinating!
*puts reserve on "Shelter" (because it's the only one her library owns)*

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:14 am

I just finished "Elephant," one of the shortest stories in The Fate of Mice, and I am going to be haunted for days. It is everything a short story should be, and it is beautiful. My favourite so far in TFoM, which is saying something in a book with such wonderful snippets of story.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:58 pm

Today I finished Flying in Place, and I am pleased to say that it was excellent as the others.

Flying in Place is the story of Emma, a girl who has been molested by her father for an unspecified number of years. One morning at dawn, when her father is once again in her room, she floats out of her body and up to her ceiling, where she meets her sister Ginny, who died before Emma was born.

Like the others, it is a story of truth gradually being revealed, and about healing. The scenes involving Emma's molestation are written minimally: Emma describes very little, focusing instead upon the dreaded breathing. Because of this, it was an easier book to read than I feared, and (I think) more effective than it would have been otherwise. I was drawn very deeply into the world, and the climax of the book came with a deep, vicious satisfaction.

It was beautiful, and I loved it. It's the last of her individually publishes works, and I'm rather sad that there's no more. I suppose I will have to content myself with hunting down her short works published in magazines and anthologies. :)

Go read them, folks. Seriously.

ratesjul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ratesjul » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:03 am

I get to pick up Shelter from the library tomorrow or Sunday...

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:22 pm

I really enjoyed The Necessary Beggar. Thanks for the suggestion! I'd look into perhaps reading more, except that school has started, and... well, let's face it, reading for pleasure ceases to exist.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Amka
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Site Admin

Postby Amka » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:51 pm

I wish I could say I've read her published work, but so far only occassional snippits of her blog. She is an awesome lady. I just don't have time to read books for fun right now. She is definately on my list, though.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:31 pm

Yeah, I really enjoy her blog, too, when I remember to check it. I really ought to bookmark it.

ratesjul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ratesjul » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:28 pm

I just finished reading Shelter, which is (annoyingly) the only one of her books in my library system.

Oh, man, what a gorgeous book. The bots sound so cute, especially Mr Clean and the new Fred. I love the way Fred teaches - he was so cool.

I loved the way the book came full circle - it went through the history without overdoing it, and it filled in all the puzzle peaces one little piece at a time, and answered all sorts of loose ends. And it managed to finish on some sort of happy ever after note, but without sounding trite and too much.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:08 pm

Didn't that surprise you, the ending? I was sure, sure, up until the last handful of pages (maybe 20 or 30) that there was no way the story could be anything but a tragedy. And it was tragic, certainly, but it was not a tragedy.

I'm SO glad you liked it. Any way you can agitate at your library to get her other books?

Edit: I forgot to say, I love the bots too. Mr Clean has so much personality for such a small mechanical critter. And I loved Fred all the way through. Zephyr was a bit weird, though - crazy cat lady for the new millenium.

ratesjul
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ratesjul » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:40 pm

I'll give the librarians a break for a while. They keep twitting me about my reserve list "you'll have to put some more books on it, you're running out!!"

I liked Mr Clean when he ate the roses. that was very very cute.
Zephyr was a huge mystery ... sometimes I liked her and sometimes it was weird.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”