Stardust!

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Stardust!

Postby Rei » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:36 pm

It seems we're lacking a thread about this absolutely spectacular film (if I'm just blind, do direct me). I can't remember the book as well as I would like, which is why I plan to read it again, soon, but as a film, it was spectacular. Everybody should go out and watch it. Right now. Because it is awesome.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:16 pm

I read the book for the first time right after finishing Deathly Hallows, so maybe that was unfair to it...but I liked the movie more than the book, though just barely.

The movie changed some things, but seemed largely accurate overall, which was nice.

Definitely worth paying full price to see.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Scott
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Scott » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:31 am

the movie Stardust looks pretty cool, so does the Golden Compass.

I hadn't read the book though but I might go watch the movie.
Live every week like it's SHARK WEEK

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:01 pm

I read the book right before I found out about the movie. I haven't seen the movie yet, mostly because my boyfriend and I have been working closing shifts since the 9th, and haven't had time.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:22 pm

I liked the movie way better than the book. I thought the book was only okay, but I lovedddd the movie, it was gorgeous.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:22 pm

*spoilery stuff*

I have to admit, the battle scene on the airship had me laughing... a lot. It's probably one of my favourite battle scenes ever. I can't wait to go and see the movie again on Monday with a friend of mine.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:59 pm

I loved it. I haven't read the book since we did it in Book Club here, but what I remembered was mostly accurate. It was a well-told story and I really got to care about the characters. I didn't come out of it with any real complaints. Two thumbs up! (Of course, it will be totally shunned for any awards, because it is FANTASY and therefore not REAL ART.)

Now if only they could have a fire and burn all the stuff related to The Dark is Rising, and get the Stardust people to redo the entire thing.

They can keep Chris Eccleston, though.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:40 am

It was really cute, sweet, and funny. I like the book better, but I liked the movie, too. I LOVED the ghost brothers. They cracked me up.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:39 pm

Absolutely brilliant. I love the book (and Neil, of course) and the graphic novel and now the movie. The changes were good, they made it more actionpacked and easier to follow for a movie audience. I was a bit sad that they left out one of the main characters (the Hairy Man), but all in all, it was so good.

I hadn't read any reviews at all going into it, when I came out I said to Paul "This is totally the next generation's Princess Bride! 'Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles...' "

Apparently that's what alot of people have been saying.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:35 pm

I love this movie. Robert De Niro is freakin' hilarious. Jon said he liked the ending in the movie better than the end of the book. I kind of agree with him. I like all of Neil Gaiman's other books, I just thought the ending was kind of weak in this one.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

peterlocke123
Soldier
Soldier

Postby peterlocke123 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:28 pm

Saw this with my girlfriend (at the time) and thought it was decent. Definitely not as good as Princess Bride, but pretty good. She didn't like it at all. Except for Robert De Niro. We laughed for sooo long at that part. Got all kinds of weird looks from the other people in the theater. Oh well. It was a cute movie.

Oliver Dale
Former Speaker
Former Speaker
Title: Trapped in the Trunk!

Postby Oliver Dale » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:58 pm

I just realized I never posted in here. I guess, in retrospect, I haven't much to say. A quick opinion and then an anecdote:

The movie was wonderful. Not perfect, of course, and not Great (note: capital 'G'), but entirely entertaining and delivered in spades. Of course, OSC was absolutely correct in his analysis of it on Hatrack. In particular, the Final Battle in which our hero cowered in the corner with his mommy while the Real Warrior went off to battle to witch. I lost sympathy with him by the second.

I didn't even remember (realize? know?) that it was a book (novella, really) until well after I saw trailers for the movie and Gaiman's name flashed across the screen in sparkling silver letters. Then, not two days ago, I was going through one of the boxes of my books that my mother brought to my condo. She's finally reclaiming her basement by boxing up all of the things that previously hadn't fit in my apartments (e.g. hundreds of books). Well, out plopped a little paperback of Stardust. Sure enough, I had bought the book forever ago and never read it which would be, frankly, a fitting epitaph, if one could find a way to condense it into a sentence.

NWS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby NWS » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:36 am

I really enjoyed both the movie and the book. We only go to the movies twice a year and this and the new HP were both excellent choices. It was such a good date movie.

And, having not seen Sienna Miller in anything since Keen Eddie, I had somehow forgotten what a crush I had on her. She's so beautiful it hurts. She can be a bitch to me any day of the week.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”