Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows SPOILER Thread

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:36 pm

i'm alone in this, really?

Voldemort and Harry being related didn't make anyone else want to send Jo a howler?
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:52 pm

bah, they're related like me and you are related. The Peverall brothers were from ages and ages ago, I wouldn't be surprised if they were pre-hogwarts even. Go back just a thousand years and you'd be surprised how many people you're related to.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:57 pm

I didn't realize there was an Ariana was/wasn't raped camp. It just seemed to me to be the only thing that really explained her reaction. a beating wasn't dramatically different from what various other characters had experienced so I assumed it was rape would cause such a dramatically different reaction, as well as being something that would be completely covered up and not talked about in the 1860s, most of the people I've spoken to IRL have also assumed it was rape as well. :p

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:57 pm

[edit]

i am just looking for reasons to be angry.

however, JKR has specifically stated in interviews that Harry and Voldemort are NOT related. and of course now they clearly are. it's trite.

and, if the brothers are post-Hogwarts (which i assumed they were, but i may be wrong. we don't see dates on the grave in Godric's Hollow) then Harry is also an Heir of Slytherin, as was his father before him. meaning that Riddle wasn't the last surviving Heir, and re-shapes events in CoS.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:04 pm

But, it also makes sense for the Peverall's to be pre-Hogwarts because they've been inducted into the sort of archetypal fairy story. The hogwarts founders are more solid figures of fact, more like a verifiable royal succession, while the peverall's strike me as more a king arthur type legend for the wizarding world.

It's also not clear that the Slytherin was a descendent of the Peveralls at all. The Gaunts were, but they could have been the descendents of both branches, but just because the Gaunts are descended from the Peveralls doesn't mean that Slytherin was as well, Marvolo only knew the fame of his ancestors, it didn't seem he knew the details.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:26 pm

But isn't the fact that he's buried in Godric's Hollow, which was named for Godric Gryffindor, sort of proof that the founders were first?
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:30 pm

Harry and Voldemort being related (however distantly) was just another way of JKR saying that blood doesn't matter, in my opinion.

And I still can't remember where I heard Rose as the name of Ron's daughter. I think I was just hallucinating, but it is bothering me. Oh well.

I really like the idea that a children's story was actually true. It just fits.

Also, I find it hilarious (and utterly depressing) that Mugglenet had odds 100:1 against Dobby dying. People are always underestimating house elves, it seems.

Did anyone else find it odd that Harry never actually destroyed a Horcrux?

I still can't get over that kiss. I keep thinking of it randomly and squealing. :D [/random musings]
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:59 pm

he did destroy the diary, so i suppose that counts, although he didn't destroy any in this book (unless you count himself, which i won't, as it gives me migraines and makes me violent).

i wish we'd seen Hermione destroy the cup, though.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:26 pm

Harry Potter and the Long Awaited Sandwich.
I was rereading the thread and apparently missed this the first time. I can't quit laughing. I liked the end and everything, but I can't stop giggling when I think about it now.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:59 pm

however, JKR has specifically stated in interviews that Harry and Voldemort are NOT related. and of course now they clearly are. it's trite.

and, if the brothers are post-Hogwarts (which i assumed they were, but i may be wrong. we don't see dates on the grave in Godric's Hollow) then Harry is also an Heir of Slytherin, as was his father before him. meaning that Riddle wasn't the last surviving Heir, and re-shapes events in CoS.
Well, considering that both Voldemort and Harry were clearly half "pure-blood," they had to be related in some minute way. There are some things I can understand quibbling over, but her saying that they are not related when, if they were at all, it was from a common ancestor centuries upon centuries ago, well, I'm sorry, but I don't see that as a problem. My best friend and I both have Italian blood; if you go back far enough, I'm sure we have a common ancestor. Once you get to twentieth cousins four times removed, however, you're not related, and that's about as far as you get back for Harry and Voldemort to be related. And even if the brothers are post-Hogwarts, they don't have to be descended from Slytherin. Someone descended from Slytherin just needed to marry in somewhere down the line. Beyond that, I haven't seen any evidence that they are post-Hogwarts, other than the third brother being buried in Godric's Hollow, which could have easily been renamed.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:03 pm

*just remembered* So really, there was nothing up with the Vail at all? Like, all that hype over nothing? Am I missing something big here?
Last edited by Petra456 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:12 pm

i get it i get it i get it.

i am being cranky and nitpicky. i am overreacting and deliberately searching for things to be angry about.

i am the only one on the board who hated the book.

i get it. i'll take my mourning elsewhere. i'm not trying to ruin anyone's fun, honestly. i'm glad you all loved it. i WISH i did, more than anything. i've been reading these books since i was 16.

i DO think it's a dreadful book. i DON'T understand why people love it. i'm not trying to be obnoxious, that's the truth.

but i'll give it a rest.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:08 pm

Just finished it.

I loved it. (Sorry, Kel)
Harry's sacrifice is comes from a strong literary tradition and fits with the hero cycle. The multiple layers of Lily's protection on Harry makes sense to me. There were little parts throughout the books that led up to these moments. I think we were well rewarded.

I'll admit, the "nineteen years later" was a bit cheesy, but I'm so glad she didn't tell about every single person and how they survived. Leave it up to mystery! We don't need to know everyone's story.

Also, three cheers for an author who can finish a series. JK Rowling gets a million, billion points in my book for not being another author who drags out a series on and on to keep selling more books. *cough*-Card-*cough*
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:34 pm

when I reread half blood prince and order of the phoenix recently it occured to me, "you know, none of what happens with Harry's connection to Voldemort makes sense unless he's a horcrux, but I don't think we know enough about horcruxes to know whether or not that's even possible."

I thought it was interesting that Hermione had a throwaway line when describing the book about horcruxes, she mentions how awful (remorse) it was to fuse yourself back together, and also that each subsequent horcrux makes you more and more unstable. Later Dumbledore says that Voldemort had lost so much control/stability that the Harry horcrux was created without his conscious knowledge.

also because of that line of Hermione's I thought in "The Prince's Tale" that when we cut from Dumbledore asking Severus for proof of his remorse straight into Snape's scream at the news of her death. that Dumbledore's 'proof' was making Snape reform with a horcrux Snape had made that we'd never been aware of. that would have been intense, certainly would have proved Snape's remorse beyond a shadow of a doubt.
:p

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:20 am

*just remembered* So really, there was nothing up with the Vail at all? Like, all that hype over nothing? Am I missing something big here?
Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I just finished it last night and was very glad to finally be able to come into this thread. I'm so sorry you hated it so much Kel. Out of curiosity, what had you gotten spoiled about the night before it came out?

I did like it...a lot, I think. But I really need to reread it. I often miss things during my first read.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:32 am

the spoilers i got were not huge, in the long run.

i knew that Voldemort (obviously), Moody, and Hedwig all died. but that's it.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:08 am

My only real problem was the Harry Horcux thing.

It defies the rules about making Horcruxes that was established in 6.

Rules:
(1) You must split your soul by the ultimate act of evil
(2) There is an immensely complicated Dark spell that can seal a part of your split soul into another object

(Also, I guess it just means Dumbledore lied to Harry because Voldemort has an 8 part soul, not a 7 part soul. Or that Voldemort forgot how to count, because he asked Slughorn about a 7 part soul. If Harry was a horcrux, Voldemort didn't need Nagini Horcrux.)

See, my problem is not that Voldemort's soul was unstable because of all the killing, I can totally believe that. But, I can't see accidentally performing incredibly complicated Dark Magic. No. Just. No.
-Kim

Qing_Jao
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Qing_Jao » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:18 pm

See, my problem is not that Voldemort's soul was unstable because of all the killing, I can totally believe that. But, I can't see accidentally performing incredibly complicated Dark Magic. No. Just. No.
Whereas, I can. I can see that his soul being so fragmented, and having done something complex several times before, and it requiring a death, it would have almost been second nature, and could have been possible. I know it's a stretch, but after you do some really complex things, you can do them without thinking, sometimes even without paying much attention. Especially if it's something you do a lot.
It sounded like he had the spell, or ritual, ready for Harry's killing anyway, because doesn't it say so in HPB?
It fits to me.
SARA
--SARA
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
no evil shall escape my sight!

Let those who worship evil's might,
beware my power... Green Lantern's light!"

Lantern Corps Pledge

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:32 pm

My only real problem was the Harry Horcux thing.

It defies the rules about making Horcruxes that was established in 6.

Rules:
(1) You must split your soul by the ultimate act of evil
(2) There is an immensely complicated Dark spell that can seal a part of your split soul into another object

(Also, I guess it just means Dumbledore lied to Harry because Voldemort has an 8 part soul, not a 7 part soul. Or that Voldemort forgot how to count, because he asked Slughorn about a 7 part soul. If Harry was a horcrux, Voldemort didn't need Nagini Horcrux.)

i love you.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:28 pm

Whereas, I can. I can see that his soul being so fragmented, and having done something complex several times before, and it requiring a death, it would have almost been second nature, and could have been possible. I know it's a stretch, but after you do some really complex things, you can do them without thinking, sometimes even without paying much attention. Especially if it's something you do a lot.
It sounded like he had the spell, or ritual, ready for Harry's killing anyway, because doesn't it say so in HPB?
It fits to me.
SARA
There are really complicated things that I am adept at doing-- solving thermodynamics problems for example. However, I would be incapable of analyzing the mixing of a membrane on accident, while dying.

It just doesn't make sense.

Magic that happens accidentally is like making the glass disappear at the zoo, or avoiding bullies by jumping onto the ceiling. Magic that happens accidentally is not performing one of the Darkest, most complicated pieces of magic that exists.
-Kim

NWS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby NWS » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:06 pm

Just so I don't have to reread in the next couple of weeks, what were the 7 non-Harry Horcruxes? I kept trying to count on my fingers and only getting 6.

1: diary
2: ring
3: locket
4: deidem
5: goblet
6: snake

And I feel pretty stupid about that.
Last edited by NWS on Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:07 pm

I'm with you.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:25 pm

[edit]

by goblet you meant cup. i'm an idiot.

1. diary
2. ring
3. cup
4. diadem
5. locket
6. snake

the seventh piece of his soul is in Voldemort himself. he never wanted seven Horcruxes, he wanted to split his soul seven ways.

then of course he "accidentally" made Harry, thus giving him eight pieces of soul. *headdesk*
Last edited by Young Val on Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

NWS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby NWS » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:30 pm

hufflepuff's cup = 5: goblet and I've already excluded Harry from the list.
From the point where Ron smashed the locket and said there were only 3 left, I kept counting ON MY FINGERS to make sure I was getting it right and only getting 6 total each time. If 7 includes the unknown Harry, why does Ron think there are 3 and not 4 left? If 7 does not include Harry, what else does it include?

edit: though I suppose it is possible that I misread and he said 3 down or 4 left or something. It was, admittedly, quite early in the morning and I had not yet had any coffee.

NWS
Soldier
Soldier

Postby NWS » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:33 pm

Oh, okay, that makes sense. Man, some days I *am* an idiot.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:11 pm

I finished it late last night.

I thought it was pretty good. You have to understand that something of a casual HP fan though. I've been looking forward to this book, but no more so that the next installment in other literary series I enjoy. So I didn't have grand expectations or loads or carefully thought out predictions and such...

Anyway, I've read that JKR has stated that her greatest fear is the death of someone she loves, which is all the more frightening to her because death can be random and sudden and meaningless. I understand that this is what she was trying convey with deaths throughout the series such as Cedric and Sirius (Not so much Dumbledore. His death wasn't random or meaningless). Then comes HP7, which I suspect that Rowling wrote in part has some sort of morbid therapy for herself.

I'm reading the book and before I know it Hedwig is instantly killed (Wow... another loss for Harry. Poor guy). A little bit later, we learn that Mad-eye took a killing curse to the face (Okay, another of JKR's examples of how random and sudden death can be. I think she realizes that we get the point now). Next, Wormtail bites the dust (knew that would happen eventually). Then, what's this...? Dobby takes a knife through the chest (this is getting a bit brutal... JKR realizes that she still has a lot of young readers, right?) Fast-forward to Fred's death (Oh, come on! If a Weasley had to die we all know it should have been Percy). Dear old Severus Snape kicks the bucket as well (I always knew he would die in the last book, and that he was good all along. No surprise there). Then we have poor depressed Harry walking through the Great Hall surveying the dead and the mourners. There are the Weasleys weeping over Fred. There are some random people. There are the bodies of Lupin and Tonks... (Wait! What?! I must have misread that... Um... No, I didn't. For crying out loud, they just had a baby! You are one twisted lady, JKR).

And that's pretty much what was going through my mind as I read each death. But the thing is, I liked it! The book was unnecessarily cruel and I almost felt sorry for the younger readers and their parents who are no doubt consoling them as I type this, but it created wonderful suspense. After the battle I was practically holding my breath waiting for Harry to stumble across the body of Luna Lovegood or Cho Chang or who knows who else. I've always kinda liked endings where many of the heroes fall in battle without it being some world changing event. I guess maybe I'm a little like Rowling after all.

As for the parts of the book where people weren't dropping dead left and right, I found them enjoyable even if a bit repetitive. It seemed to be a lot of: hiding -> planning -> sneak into some place -> get caught -> barely escape -> repeat about 5 times.

Of course, the Battle of Hogwarts was awesome. I can't wait to see it on film. I can already hear the cheers when Mrs. Weasly shouts her impassioned battle cry and takes on one of the most feared Death Eaters.

In conclusion: I enjoyed it, but I can definitely see why some people who had high expectations might have been disappointed.
Also, I guess it just means Dumbledore lied to Harry because Voldemort has an 8 part soul, not a 7 part soul. Or that Voldemort forgot how to count, because he asked Slughorn about a 7 part soul. If Harry was a horcrux, Voldemort didn't need Nagini Horcrux
Well, I think DH makes it clear why Dumbledore didn't want Harry to know that he was a Horcrux at that time, so yes he did lie, or to be more precise, he withheld a theory. And Voldemort didn't forget how to count, he never intended to split his soul into 8 or even realized that he had done so. I don't actually have a problem with the accidental Horcrux making. Making 1 Horcrux was supposed to seriously screw up one's soul. I don't find it hard to accept that after making 7 Voldemort's soul would be such an unstable mess that part of it would latch onto Harry. Voldemort had done something unprecedented by butchering his soul so badly, so, surprise! Something unprecedented happened as a result.

Oh, and as for the whole Ariana thing, strangely enough it never occurred to me that she might have been raped, although that would explain how deeply traumatized she was and her father's reaction. But she was only like 7 years old or something wasn't she? And I thought the kids that did it were also prepubescent.

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:19 pm

Loved it. The only thing I didn't like was the last chapter.
I especially loved the house elf stuff. I loved the Snape and Dumbledore background.
Honestly though there was no possibility of me not liking this book, I was so determined to love it before I even opened it.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:29 pm

Hey! A big bonus for those of us who felt very lost and unsatisfied with the epilogue!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19935372/ ***SPOILERS IN ARTICLE***

J.K. Rowling announces a "Potterverse" encyclopedia, with elaborations on certain events and (especially) characters whose details couldn't be included in the main story because they weren't relevant enough. This also includes a more detailed explanation of the patch-up of the wizarding world after the Battle of Hogwarts!

She also reveals who got the "reprieve" from death.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:49 pm

For the record, I actually like the epilogue. I only wish it had revealed if Harry became an Auror or not. I was curious about that.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:27 pm

Okay, a couple of other annoyances:

This is a stupid nitpicky detail but it pisses me off. When they're going to the Lovegood's home and Ron says it looks like a giant rook and Hermione says, "Huh? It doesn't look like a bird," and he clarifies that he means chess.

NO. Just -- no. From every point of view that's wrong. Braniac Hermione doesn't know what a chess rook is? Even if she had only vague knowledge, by every known theory of semantic priming and networking ever made in cognitive psychology, she would have figured it out.

~~~~~~

The Horcruxes.

Does anybody else find them rather anticlimactic? The locales, I mean? In book six, we see that Dumbledore has a dead and blackened hand from putting on a ring that held a curse caused by a Horcrux and are told that only his prodigious skill saved his life. We are also shown the resting place of the locket Horcrux.

I keep imagining Voldemort planning out where to hide the locket Horcrux,

"Yes, it shall be guarded in a cave by the sea. No one shall enter without a sacrifice of blood, and upon entering, magical rites must be performed to raise a concealed boat. This boat shall take its bearer and one victim across a lake filled with bodies of the dead. Upon reaching a stone basin, a victim must drink a burning poison, and then either die of thirst or be killed by inferi in the black lake."

As opposed to Voldetmort planning out where to hide the cup:

"Bellatrix? Do me a big favor and drop this off at the bank, would you? There's a dear."

I mean, yes, I know it's Gringotts and all -- but it's a person's BANK VAULT. No more enchantments around it than around anything else. Guess Voldemort just quit cursing those objects, huh? Oh good gracious. I would have been far less disappointed had it been that the break in that occurred in book one been involved.

Not to mention just leaving it hanging round in the room of requirement, not realizing that the thousands of other objects meant that maybe, maybe someone else had found it? I mean, yes, Voldemort is arrogant, but far more to the point in his character is that he's paranoid.

~~~~~~

I did want to see Neville kill Bellatrix. However, I'm okay with Molly doing it, just given that they're such opposites in terms of feminine archetypes. However, I would've liked to have seen Lupin kill Grayback if Neville didn't get to kill Bella.

~~~~~~

Reread Dobby's death for about the fifth time last night. Cried yet again.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:34 pm

Oh, and when Ron gives Harry his birthday present, was I the only one who thought his description of it sounded dirtier than Rowling probably intended?
Yes, but not nearly as bad as, "A Cauldron Full of Hot Strong Love."
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:55 pm

Not to mention just leaving it hanging round in the room of requirement, not realizing that the thousands of other objects meant that maybe, maybe someone else had found it? I mean, yes, Voldemort is arrogant, but far more to the point in his character is that he's paranoid.
lol. Yeah, I thought that was kinda silly too. It's like hiding your spare house key under the welcome mat and thinking you're a genius for coming up with such an original hiding place. I think Rowling just got lazy on that one.

By the way, did anyone else see the obvious parallels between the Horcruxes and the One Ring from LotR? I half expected Ron to call the locket his "precious" and start making a "gollum" noise in his throat.

Young Val
Commander
Commander

Postby Young Val » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:04 pm

-Hey! Wanna see my dark mystical evil object that i am fated to destroy but which i haven't yet figured out how to destroy so in the meantime i wear it round my neck and it makes me a bit of a psycho if i wear it too long? it's my One Ring of Power-I-MEAN-Locket Horcrux!

i did.
you snooze, you lose
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:12 pm

question: did we find out who else was there when voldemort killed harry's parents?

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander

Postby neo-dragon » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:14 pm

-Hey! Wanna see my dark mystical evil object that i am fated to destroy but which i haven't yet figured out how to destroy so in the meantime i wear it round my neck and it makes me a bit of a psycho if i wear it too long? it's my One Ring of Power-I-MEAN-Locket Horcrux!

i did.
LOL. I was sure that others must have picked up on that but I guess I missed your comment. :lol:

Return to “Milagre Town Square”