tattoos

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

tattoos

Postby fawkes » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:11 pm

Well, my sister has one, my mom is getting one, so why not? I was thinking about this for me:
Probably on my left shoulder (around the front), below the collar bone.
So how about you all? Any tattooed folks here? Come on, show me your tats!
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

wizzard
Soldier
Soldier
Title: if ever a wizz there was?
First Joined: 25 Jan 2003

Postby wizzard » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:17 pm

What's it say?

If I was ever going to get a tattoo, it would have to be something extremely meaningful for me, probably something connected to my family.

"Morituri Nolumus Mori" -Rincewind

Don't feed the bezoar!

Nova
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:22 pm

if i ever got a tattoo i think it would either be 42 or a dragon. my sister and i often talk about where we would get a 42 tattoo. haha
the opposite of war isn't peace...it's creation.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:26 pm

Is that the chinese symbol for "originality"?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:00 am

(This is longer than I originally intended; sorry, just kinda got going once I started looking.)

The second character is 静, which means quiet, gentle, or still.

I'm not sure what the first one is (assuming this is a Chinese character, are you sure that's correct?). The closest I can get is either 苧 (a type of chinese grass, I think?), 宇 (a building, or eaves), 庁 (hall or central room), or 佇 (wait; look forwards; turn one's back on). This last one, though, combined with the second character, (that is, 佇静) means "appearing/being gentle/calm/etc", I think. So, it might mean something like that.

The first symbol also looks like just a combination of 宀 (roof) and 丁 (male, or vigorous), so maybe it means "vigorous roof", and with all the symbols together means.... a vigorous, yet gentle, roof?

Or, since 静 is also a Chinese surname, at this point I'm guessing it's just your name in Chinese.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:23 am

i have the cantonese for jesus on my left shoulder/arm area. though it has more of a special meaning/reminder for me. i forget that it's there now and then. but i'm always glad that i got it.

say what you want about chinese symbol tattoos, but sometimes they aren't chosen because they are popular. and really if you get a tattoo, you shouldn't care what other people think about the tattoo.

the number 42 would be a great tat. :D
Ubernaustrum

Claire
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: World Traveler
First Joined: 16 Dec 2002

Postby Claire » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

I would never ever ever get a tattoo. Its way too permanent for me, and I tend to think they look tacky, especially as one gets older.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:49 am

i have a celtic spiral (specifically a triskel) the size of a quarter on my inner on my inner left ankle. it means "peace on the creative journey" and in addition to being part of my family heritage has loads of personal significance for me.

i don't think i'll get any others though.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:35 am

I've been considering one for about a year now. I went with a friend to get his first tattoo a couple weeks ago, and now I think i'm ready to actually get it done.

I just have to think of something worth getting.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:01 pm

(This is longer than I originally intended; sorry, just kinda got going once I started looking.)

The second character is 静, which means quiet, gentle, or still.

I'm not sure what the first one is (assuming this is a Chinese character, are you sure that's correct?). The closest I can get is either 苧 (a type of chinese grass, I think?), 宇 (a building, or eaves), 庁 (hall or central room), or 佇 (wait; look forwards; turn one's back on). This last one, though, combined with the second character, (that is, 佇静) means "appearing/being gentle/calm/etc", I think. So, it might mean something like that.

The first symbol also looks like just a combination of 宀 (roof) and 丁 (male, or vigorous), so maybe it means "vigorous roof", and with all the symbols together means.... a vigorous, yet gentle, roof?

Or, since 静 is also a Chinese surname, at this point I'm guessing it's just your name in Chinese.
It is Chinese, and it's the symbol for "Serenity". I actually pulled it from a Firefly-related package. It's a kit ot make a Jayne hat. Anyway, I chose this because it's something geeky, but it's also meaningful without the geeky connotations. As far as I know it's correct. After all, it's on Serenity (the ship), but I also looked it up just through a Chinese character library.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:15 pm

It is Chinese, and it's the symbol for "Serenity". I actually pulled it from a Firefly-related package. It's a kit ot make a Jayne hat. Anyway, I chose this because it's something geeky, but it's also meaningful without the geeky connotations. As far as I know it's correct. After all, it's on Serenity (the ship), but I also looked it up just through a Chinese character library.
Yeah, it's correct. Sorry, for some reason the kanji database I was looking in doesn't have that particular character (but oddly it does have its traditional equivalent 寧).

dgf hhw

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:23 pm

I did it! I'm inked! Pictures to follow.

mr_thebrain
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The same thing we do every night...
First Joined: 0- 7-2000

Postby mr_thebrain » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:24 pm

congrats! don't forget sunscreen! or aloe. whatever, just keep it moisturized and don't pick at the scab.
Ubernaustrum

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:20 pm

Is that the chinese symbol for "originality"?
Winner.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:17 pm

I think I was channelling you there, Jeebs.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:11 pm

I got tired of waiting for my dad to e-mail me a picture, so here's one I took myself:
Also, look what I found: http://www.bmeink.com/A21018/high/kqsyl0is.jpg

eriador
KillEvilBanned

Postby eriador » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:24 pm

I thought that dragon was orange and grey, not black and red, but I don't have EG to check :(

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:12 pm

Dragon's color code was gray-orange-gray, but I don't think that necessarily means anything about their logo coloring.

And looks nice, BAG. Was the person doing this just going by an image you gave, or are they actually into eastern calligraphy?

dgf hhw

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby fawkes » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:27 pm

A little of both. I used the picture at the top as a reference, but she's the go-to guy for caligraphy, so it turned out really well.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:49 pm

You guys have all seen the army motifs here, right?

http://www.cafepress.com/hatrackriver

The army shirts were available at EnderCon. My brother still wears his Dragon Army one all the time.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:21 am

Kind of in love with you a little bit, Jan.

I doubt I ever will, but if I did, it would be the golden ratio. Very small.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:22 pm

Yeah, it's correct. Sorry, for some reason the kanji database I was looking in doesn't have that particular character (but oddly it does have its traditional equivalent 寧).
This is because traditional beats the hell out of simplified every time.

Beyond that, never try to interpret characters based on the different parts of them--at least, not unless you're really familiar with the language. The different parts of a character definitely contribute to the meaning, but not in the same way it would in English. For example, the word for good--好--contains the character for "woman" and the character for "son." However, to break that down to "woman's son" would be incorrect--the rationale, instead, is that a woman having a son is a good thing.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:50 pm

Beyond that, never try to interpret characters based on the different parts of them--at least, not unless you're really familiar with the language. The different parts of a character definitely contribute to the meaning, but not in the same way it would in English. For example, the word for good--好--contains the character for "woman" and the character for "son." However, to break that down to "woman's son" would be incorrect--the rationale, instead, is that a woman having a son is a good thing.
I was breaking down by character. 好 is a single character, which contains the radicals for "woman" and "son" (or "child", really). [Edit: I just re-read what I originally posted, and actually, yeah, I did try to break down an individual character; oops. Yeah, I realize that it almost always doesn't work like that, but sometimes radicals can give indication, so it could have. I was just exploring all possibilities.]

And hey, I thought I didn't do all that bad, for edumacated-guessing. My best guess was "appearing/being gentle/calm", which is pretty darn close to "serenity".

dgf hhw

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:08 am

On a hunch, would the word for bad contain the characters for woman and daughter?
The enemy's fly is down.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:38 am

No. There is no real word for "bad" in the way you're talking about (although there are several words that mean evil or wicked). To say bad, you say "不 好."

And, zeroguy: 子 means son. It can mean child, but it's generally only used in if you don't know the gender of the child, and that's because they're assuming that the child is male. Daughter is 女兒, son is 兒子, or 子. And don't worry; I know what radicals are. I've studied this language for three years and counting. Your guess wasn't bad, but breaking down characters is always a bad idea. The individual components can add to sound or to meaning; 媽媽, for example, means mother. The first component means woman, as we all know: the second comes from 嗎, which is what you add onto the end of a statement to make it a question. 媽媽 is pronounced ma1ma1, and the question particle is pronounced ma. So 女 is indicating that it has something to do with women, but 嗎 indicates pronunciation (as the pronunciation for 女 is nü3).

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:14 pm

And, zeroguy: 子 means son. It can mean child, but it's generally only used in if you don't know the gender of the child, and that's because they're assuming that the child is male.
In Chinese, perhaps. I meant the character itself, without respect to language [Edit: I'm mostly going by Unihan here]. I am certainly in no position to make an irrefutable argument about it, but as far as my understanding goes, it is used for both in Japanese. It may have a bias to default to male if unknown (as seems to be the case with most if not all languages), but it's certainly used for females in 女子 and 女の子 at least.

And yes, I wasn't doubting you knew what radicals are, nor was I trying to make it sound like I knew more than you (I can tell you right now, I have next to no formal education of any Eastern language). When I originally replied, I thought I hadn't actually dissected a single character into radicals, when I did. So, it just looked like you had somehow confused a single character for two characters. But that was my mistake, and I'm sorry. I didn't want to get into a fight or anything, but it certainly has been educational for all.

Oh, and by the way: Chinese looks... um, tough. I mean, I've always known it was somewhat difficult (all those freaky pitches and symbols), but that post certainly reinforced that. My hat is off to you for your continued studies.

dgf hhw

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:30 am

Oh, but it doesn't involve conjugations at all. It's wonderful. As far as the character itself goes, though, as it's from Serenity, and they speak Mandarin in Firefly, it's safe to assume the Chinese meaning.

Edit: Of course, if you think that it's hard based on that post, what do you think about the fact that you need to memorize stroke order for each character? You can't do it in just any order. It's uncultured. You're basically illiterate if you do that.

Seiryu
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Seiryu » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:39 am

I don't know if I could get a tattoo or not. I've got this weird skin thing on the place I want it. I have all these weird red bumps on my arm that's called Keratosis Pilaris. With all the bumps, I'd assume it wouldn't look right or would be hard to do. If I could get one, though, I'd like a snake-like dragon with a more European design to it.
I don't believe in fairies!
(Dresden's battle cry going against fairies in book 4.)

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:07 pm

I do remember that in Japanese it was always used in reference to "child" and we were never given the slightest implication that there were male connotations. But that is Japanese and not Chinese.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:48 pm

As far as the character itself goes, though, as it's from Serenity, and they speak Mandarin in Firefly, it's safe to assume the Chinese meaning.
Ah, didn't know that.
Edit: Of course, if you think that it's hard based on that post, what do you think about the fact that you need to memorize stroke order for each character? You can't do it in just any order. It's uncultured. You're basically illiterate if you do that.
Japanese has that, too, I believe, as do all languages that use the Chinese characters (but the general (flexible) rules of stroke order are the same/similar, are they not?). But at least you have the option of spelling something out phonetically if the Chinese symbol for it is esoteric or overly complex... but in Chinese it's symbols for everything! Gah!

Perhaps I should stop making off-topic posts.

dgf hhw

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:19 am

Meh, I have enough problems with our own language and alphabet.
The enemy's fly is down.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:03 am

Oh, but it doesn't involve conjugations at all. It's wonderful. As far as the character itself goes, though, as it's from Serenity, and they speak Mandarin in Firefly, it's safe to assume the Chinese meaning.

i think that's so incredibly fascinating. i long dearly to be multi-lingual, but for some reason i just cannot absorb written and spoken foreign languages. eight years of french and i can speak like a five year old, comprehend like, perhaps, a dog, and i can read at maybe a 3rd grade level! it's appalling. oh, and my pronunciation is horrid.

i do, for some reason, excel at ASL. i think it must register in some other part of the brain.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:44 am

Damn, by the look of this topic, Chinese, Cantonese and Japanese is incredibly difficult..

I dunno if I could get a tattoo. I'm scared of needles and I don't want the pain (also the reason why I can't have earrings, piercing, or something else), and it just doesn't seem important enough...

...But, if I were to get a tattoo, it would be something small and nice, probably the universal peace sign (which I can't remember right now -_-) or a middle finger. ^^

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:49 am

Japanese has that, too, I believe, as do all languages that use the Chinese characters (but the general (flexible) rules of stroke order are the same/similar, are they not?). But at least you have the option of spelling something out phonetically if the Chinese symbol for it is esoteric or overly complex... but in Chinese it's symbols for everything! Gah!
The general rules are the same, yeah. After three years, if you gave me a character I didn't know and told me to guess at the stroke order, I could probably either get it completely right or be only a little off.

anonshadow
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby anonshadow » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:03 am

Damn, by the look of this topic, Chinese, Cantonese and Japanese is incredibly difficult..
Cantonese is Chinese. "Chinese" two written languages: traditional characters and simplified characters. The simplified characters are supposed to raise literacy, because they're easier to learn; I have always learned traditional, and generally think that simplified characters are stupid. It's also worth pointing out that it's much easier to go from traditional to simplified--that is, for people who can read traditional to learn to read simplified, or even to simply reason it out without formal education--than it is to go from simplified to traditional. However, that's only the written: "Chinese" as a spoken language includes hundreds of different dialects, most of which are completely unintelligible to someone not also fluent in that dialect. The most common are Mandarin, Wu, Min, and Cantonese. In the Western world, it is likely that any spoken Chinese you have heard in Mandarin or Cantonese. I speak Mandarin; to learn to speak Cantonese, I would have to learn it in the same way that I would have to learn Japanese. The only ways in which I would be helped are that I can already write it and that I can deal with all the tonal stuff; otherwise, it's a completely different language. It's easier to understand Spanish if all you speak is English than it is to understand Cantonese if all you speak is Mandarin (or vice versa).

Return to “Milagre Town Square”