More Exciting Ways to Go from A to B

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:30 am

HALLELUJAH!

I finally, finally got out for a ride today. It was both agonising and glorious. I had been waiting for a helmet (most important) and lights and a bell (important because I will be working shifts of assorted hours). I'm so, so glad to have this freedom again.

I miss my own bike, though. This one has weird proportions and different gear shifts and man my ass hurts and I keep "tripping" over the high centre bar because I'm used to a girls' bike. Also I like my bike computer.

But still, it is a bike! I will now commence trying to get up the gol-danged hill on the way home. Today I managed only a tiny fraction of it and this old dude in fantastic shape (seriously, he was 65, easy) made me look like a wuss. A pathetic, weak, out of shape wuss.

To be continued...
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Brian
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Brian » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:35 am

Soon I will perfect my motorized skateboard design, and then, to the shop.
You mean like these?
No, I mean like these.
Late at night when the world grows still, and a peace upraises from your soul, I take that chance to blend myself, with all of nature as a whole.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:14 pm

My butt hurts.

But I've been back and forth to work a few times, and it will get easier. I almost made it up The Hill two days ago, but then failed yesterday to get very far at all. Hmph.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:53 pm

You really just need to put the gears down low enough. It gets a lot easier if you're in the easiest gear and not trying to move quickly.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:22 pm

Yes, dear. You tell me that every time. I know. I still cannot get up that hill. :P

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:35 am

Ali, I'll trade you sore butt for heat. It's 90F outside (9:30AM) and I just watched the temp. continuously uptick over the course of a minute by about .4 of a degree. It should be up a degree or two by the time I leave and it'll be upticking the entire way there.

I know for a fact I haven't had enough water but downing a whole s***** now is only going to make me sick.

Woo biking? I think not. But, to stay positive, I enjoy the bunny rabbit shaped sweat stain I tend to get on my back from my backpack. (Word association time but if you haven't seen the picture book Duck! Rabbit! by Amy Krouse Rosenthal, it's very cute and currently tied with Alphabeasties: And Other Amazing Types by Sharon Werner as my favorite Children's books.)
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:39 am

Your city (currently): 91° F, Feels Like: 87° F.
My city (currently): 90° F, Feels Like: 98° F.

Wanna trade? (I'm walking, today. :()
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:13 am

As it turns out, it felt really nice. Though 98 feels really nice, too, so I guess I would if I could. And walking? Weakling. Try walking distance in 113+, then make sad faces at me.

*hugs dry heat*

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:34 pm

Just for that, I will feel no pity when you freeze to death in the Chicago winter.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:16 pm

*not spending a GD post on this* :P

Brrrr. Chicago winters aren't the only chilly thing I have to deal with.

I maintain heat is easier to deal with than the cold. Hat, water, light and airy clothes and heat is just annoying at worst. Unless I'm terrible at keeping hydrated, I can function in heat and be active to a point (walking != active, I'm talking more physically exerting things).

Cold on the other hand...oy. I'm assuming, however, that I'll have a wardrobe that will make being in Chicago winters more tolerable than what I currently own.

Poophead. Talking to me that way. Hoping I die. YOU'RE NOT MY FRIEND ANYMORE.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:00 am

Sure thing. Here's my sore butt, and I'll take your weather, thank you very much. I'm okay with biking in the heat (~90F). I'm less okay with the pain.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:43 am

Exciting ways, indeed. My neighbor's dogs, that are normally very well disciplined, saw me ride by this morning and decided to join me for part of the ride. I couldn't tell if they were trying to be aggressive or friendly, but they are huge dogs and got close enough that my leg movement was made difficult.

I've been waiting for something like that to happen (though not with those dogs...my neighbor was pissed and possibly a little embarrassed), so *checks off of list*

Tapped by a car in March, flat tire in...April(?), bad enough heat exhaustion in May or June to throw up, chased by dogs. Next up is going to be a fall from running over something or hitting sand the wrong way. (Dear Universe, that is not a request or desire so let's not make it happen if it can be helped.)

Oh, and the muscle in my hip area was still sore from Monday night's class, so this was not a particularly fun ride physically. I get to ride home this afternoon, not fall asleep in my short break, and go to class again. Tomorrow's ride should be equally unpleasant.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:42 pm

Made it up The Hill yesterday! I had to stop to catch my breath twice, but I biked the whole dang thing. Today I didn't quite make it up - started, had that wave of no way am I ever going to make it, got off, walked a portion, got a wave of try it anyway, you lazy butt, and made it up. I'm telling myself I biked my poor little legs into agony this morning in my rush, plus I did it yesterday, but I still feel like I failed a bit.

Someday, someday, I will make it all in one go.

Also, new bike seat for the win. It's made such a difference!

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:38 am

Not really my mode of transport, but I give you Chicken Bike (patent pending)

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:47 pm

VICTORY!

Last night I made it up Other Hill on my way to work. This afternoon, after 2 back-to-back 8 hour shifts, I made it up The Hill. Without stopping.

I win so hard.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:48 am

After my confidence-boosting ride last weekend, I have begun to enjoy the freedom and fun of cycling all over again. I've been about 9 miles in the past two days, and today almost defeated me (stupid humidity), but since the bus driver wouldn't let my bike on, I biked home anyway. Thank God for downhill slopes.

Such an amazing feeling.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:16 am

Interesting article about bike lanes and economic development: http://www.straight.com/article-419727/ ... -dividends

ARE YOU LISTENING, ROB FORD?

Return to “Milagre Town Square”