Today's faceting lesson

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Mimx
Launchie
Launchie

Today's faceting lesson

Postby Mimx » Wed May 16, 2007 10:16 pm

Today I learned that I need to have patience and let the chemicals do their job. After finishing a pretty blue cushion cut beryl, I was anxious to see the finished stone. So instead of letting the stone soak for a few hours in acetone so it would come off easily, I tried to force the issue with a little bit of excessive pressure. The punishment for my impatience was that I heard a little ~<crack>~ and took some of the facets off along a cleavage plane. You can see the damage at ~ 4 o'clock in the crown view and on the left side of the pavillion in the other picture. Oh well...live and learn. Hopefully I will only need to learn that lesson once.

Edit: I didn't mean to start a new thread,. I thought I was continuing my old one. Oh well... :oops:

Mimx
Launchie
Launchie

A better effort

Postby Mimx » Sat May 19, 2007 6:53 am

I finished a cushion cut YAG last night and I had a bit more success getting it out of the dop unscathed than the previous one. (YAG is indeed, as explained by a contributer in my other thread, Yttrium Aluminium Garnet. A synthetic stone commonly used in medical laser applications such as hair and tattoo removal.)

Anyway, here are the vital stats:
  • 1.71 carats
  • 6.93mm x 6.83mm width
  • 4.92mm height

...and just for grins, this is what it looked like before I started:

Mimx
Launchie
Launchie

Latest Stone

Postby Mimx » Sun May 20, 2007 7:56 pm

Here is the stone I just finished this evening. It's a trilliant cut citrine. It's vitals are:
  • 1.0 ct
  • 7mm x 7mm x 7mm wide measured from the apex to center of the base
  • 4.7mm high

The girdle looks a little wide in the picture for some reason, but doesn't look that way in person. <shrug>

Here is one taken with a black background. Lots of dust specks there, but I like the contrast.

Next on my list is an amethyst in the same design. It's being an ornery little sucker...I've had to re-dop it twice. It will be a fairly small stone when it's done since I am using my smallest dop (2mm) to handle it. With any luck, I will be able to cut it tomorrow night.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon May 21, 2007 6:40 am

I like the trillion cut a lot. Really cool.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Return to “Milagre Town Square”