Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:18 pm

Cold feet.

Wearing socks.

You can see my dilemma now that winter's coming on.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:09 am

It's time to clean my room. Not at this exact moment but I probably need to find time this weekend to do it since I've been putting it off for at least a month.

I hate cleaning my room. The mess stems from the fact that I'm trying to cram too much stuff into too little a room for all of it but I can't bring myself to get rid of anything; how could I when so much of it has some sort of story connected to it?

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:10 am

It's time to clean my apartment. Not at this exact moment but I probably need to find time this weekend to do it since I've been putting it off for at least a month.

I hate cleaning my apartment. The mess stems from the fact that I'm trying to cram too much fur into too little an apartment for all of it but I can't bring myself to get rid of any of it; how could I when so much of it has some sort of cat connected to it?

Why write my own posts when someone else has written them for me?
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:29 pm

Should I ever get a parrot, I'll name him "Boss." :)

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:41 pm

Boxee being a pain to compile... :x

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:13 pm

Man, Internet, you know usually you're a pretty cool guy, but sometimes... I need to sleep, yaknow? I can't be looking around you all the time; it'd be nice if you stopped trying so hard to get me to.
Boxee being a pain to compile... :x
Hi my name is boxee...
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:42 pm

Hi my name is boxee...
Totally the first thing I thought of.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:14 am

Visa applications are intimidating and terrifying.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:09 pm

Still hate Boxee...

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:16 pm

That horrible new McDonalds* ad, the one for the double cheeseburger. The guy is looking all smug because he's getting kudos for bringing the girl a burger, and then the ad comes on how it's only for $1.39 and he quickly switches it off and says they don't talk enough. She smirks and turns the tv back on. It's, like, the most passive-aggressive ad ever. He's so cheap he buys her the most inexspenive meal he can get and tries to pretend he was splashing out on her, and she would rather watch tv than talk to him.

I really hate that commercial.

* To be clear, this is not McDonalds-specific hate, I would hate it regardless of the burger chain.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:42 pm

Still hate Boxee...
So far I love Boxee... But then I don't have to deal with his insides and stuff.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:40 pm

I hate the "lame parents" Highlander commercials. They're just so obnoxious with that bratty kid.
The enemy's fly is down.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:28 pm

I am right there with you about those commercials. We are trying to teach our kids to be honest, frugal, selfless (all those among lots of other values) members of society. I am scared to death that Tyler will see those commercials and think we aren't "good enough" because bought a used SUV for cash. Or because I don't buy something unless it's on a seriously good sale or clearance.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:55 pm

I also have a lesser hate for SUVs in general. Most people who get the damn things don't actually need one and would be better served by a mid/full-size car or a minivan. The automotive industry has been trying (rather successfully, unfortunately) for years to create an urban/suburban niche for the things that doesn't actually exist. And the smaller "crossover" SUVs are just ridiculous.
The enemy's fly is down.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:12 pm

I seriously judge people who drive Hummers and I see them fairly often. I mean, come on.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:41 pm

Something interesting I noticed when I worked at the car wash is that people who drive recent pick-up trucks (which are all absolutely massive) in town generally cannot drive it straight. Also, they generally looked absurdly clean before coming in to be washed, suggesting that they're never used for anything other than city driving. They irritated me.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:14 am

I used to want an SUV because I thought it would feel safer. Now I bike in large urban centres with only a watchful eye for car doors. How things change.

Janus%TheDoorman
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Original Two-Face

Postby Janus%TheDoorman » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:15 am

Never mind that the Buick wagon used in the commercial came with a V8 out of a Corvette - it's obviously the vehicle of wussy soccer dads who are just a taxi service for their kids, right? C'mon, we're not men if we aren't driving, big, capable vehicles! Never mind that the Chevy Tahoe and its brethren get confused if you go more further offroad than a pile of leaves. I mean, they tow and haul, right? And that's what men do, we do the heavy lifting. Never mind if a well sorted sedan can haul all the cargo you would ever ask it to as well as the truck you were trying to use in the first place

At least they're safe in a collision, right?

Don't get me wrong, offroaders and pickups have their place. That place is not nearly so large as sales would suggest, though.

Oh yeah, and crossovers? f*** everything about this:

And this guy who just might be the single biggest a****** on the planet.
"But at any rate, the point is that God is what nobody admits to being, and everybody really is."
-Alan Watts

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:25 am

I will never, ever forget the sight of my great-uncle's Lincoln towncar (an "old man" car if ever there was one) deep in the forest on a trail, past the washed-out bits the rest of us dared not venture, even the SUVs. Man, respect to the Lincoln (and to my uncle!).

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:55 pm

Battlestar's intro song. It's awful.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:17 pm

That even though I had night terrors, night sweats, no-rest sleep last night, and I feel like I got hit by a car, I still need to go suffer through my Calculus class because I can't miss it. Blah.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:55 pm

This week.

I have a medicine case (we're expected to spend 6-8 hours on them) that is released tuesday and due friday.
I have a surgery practical exam wednesday (the "hint" we were given was to know everything we've ever learned about surgery)
I have a large animal medicine exam thursday.

I don't adjust well to daylight savings time. It's just dark all the time I'm awake and near windows/outside.
It got cold fast, which means my body is freaking out. Chapped lips, aches, sinus pressure.

And now, Dexter (my dog who lives with my fiance) is sick.

FML.
-Kim

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:35 pm

Really? I actually kind of like it, the first half a bit more than the second.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:36 pm

No, you're awful.

But really, I think that This Version of it is pretty epic. It's actually a Hindu prayer.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:49 pm

No, you're awful.

But really, I think that This Version of it is pretty epic. It's actually a Hindu prayer.
I really like that one! Thanks! It's the half of the theme song I like, only bigger and badder and more epic.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Would you like the mp3? If so, pm me your email. :)
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:07 pm

Yes, and thanks! PMed.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petrie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:29 pm

That is a longer version of the part I most dislike; it's not until the percussion kicks in that I find it tolerable. If it weren't playing behind these actions scenes, it might be cool but there's such a disparity between what I'm seeing and hearing that I can't stand the opening.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:35 am

The slogan:
The Energy Drink for your Feet
SHOES ARE NOT ENERGY DRINKS!
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:25 am

I work for the Minnesota State government, but it's just a temp, unclassified position, so I don't qualify for health insurance. (My position just so happens to be in DHS, where I am processing other people's health care applications all day! Way to rub it in my face!)

The State deliberately pays us JUST over the maximum income/200% of FPG (we're talking pennies, here) to ensure that we don't qualify for any of the State-funded health insurance programs.

Which means I also make too much to qualify for sliding-scale fees at the dental clinic.

Which means I have to pay for this root canal in one lump sum, entirely out of pocket. I cannot get on a payment plan. I must pay in full today after the procedure.

After the root canal, the crown build up, and the crown, we're talking upward of $2k.

I hate EVERYTHING.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:41 pm

I work for the Minnesota State government, but it's just a temp, unclassified position, so I don't qualify for health insurance. (My position just so happens to be in DHS, where I am processing other people's health care applications all day! Way to rub it in my face!)

The State deliberately pays us JUST over the maximum income/200% of FPG (we're talking pennies, here) to ensure that we don't qualify for any of the State-funded health insurance programs.

Which means I also make too much to qualify for sliding-scale fees at the dental clinic.

Which means I have to pay for this root canal in one lump sum, entirely out of pocket. I cannot get on a payment plan. I must pay in full today after the procedure.

After the root canal, the crown build up, and the crown, we're talking upward of $2k.

I hate EVERYTHING.
Oh my God, do I hear that.

I desperately need to have a crown put on, as the temporary came off and there's a huge hole in my tooth, but even with insurance do not have the money.

I wish the dental insurance they give us here (not that I'm not grateful) actually, you know, COVERED the major expenses that might be incurred. Also, seriously, a yearly maximum of $1,000? That won't even cover a root canal and crown. God help you if you have more than one bad tooth per year.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:02 am

Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (movies). But especially Frosty.

The song came on today and when it got to the "bumpity-bump-bump" part, all unbidden the image of Frosty being run over by a car (bumpity-bump-bump!) came into mind and I started giggling uncontrollably. I'm pretty sure everyone else thought I was insane.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:04 am

If you're referring to the classic TV specials, you are insane.
The enemy's fly is down.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:26 am

Yes.

And yes.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:02 am

Yes, she is. Although I can't blame her over-much concerning Frosty. I do like Rudolf, though. And Burl Ives.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Return to “Milagre Town Square”