Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Mon May 18, 2009 12:28 am

University commencement ceremonies; and really, a lot of aspects of "higher" education in general. Self-congratulatory pompous elitist bullshit.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Mon May 18, 2009 8:49 pm

I HATE that they renewed Scrubs!
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon May 18, 2009 9:10 pm

I HATE that they renewed Scrubs!
Ugh. I saw a few episodes from this season and was not impressed. It needs to END. When will Americans learn that? End your shows. Seriously.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Mon May 18, 2009 9:51 pm

This season I just wasn't feeling it, it really really really needs to end. I love the show to bits, I don't want to see it completely ruined.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:13 pm

When will Americans learn that? End your shows. Seriously.
Only the bad ones.....all the good ones seem to get killed straight off.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue May 19, 2009 12:27 am

Only the bad ones.....all the good ones seem to get killed straight off.
I disagree. Look at Lost: yes, I'm sure some people still love it. I'm willing to bet there is a large number of people. But I don't see a satisfaction in watching a show focused on a number of unexplained events if the writers never actually PLAN on explaining them. American shows never plan on ending, because that implies an end to making money. Another example: Heroes was originally planned to be a single-season show. Sylar would get wrapped up, everything would come full-circle, that would be the end of it. Great characters, great writing, and it would end when it was meant to, but not too early. Now it's dragging on. I'm still watching, but it's just going to keep happening until it stops making money and it gets cut off, probably just after a cliffhanger.

It's like Cinderella 2, or other Disney sequels. Having a franchise continue on in such a manner is an insult to the original storyline, and to the intelligence of the watchers.

Row--row.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue May 19, 2009 12:30 am

This season I just wasn't feeling it, it really really really needs to end. I love the show to bits, I don't want to see it completely ruined.
If the situation with The Simpsons is any indication, it is around this point that the show will continue running for at least 8 or so seasons more, and around 3 into it it will already be "completely ruined".

Edit:

Oh, and I hate having a feeling that there's something I really need to be doing, when there really isn't anything. It's hard to shake that feeling when there's nothing I actually need to do.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue May 19, 2009 8:01 am

Look at Lost: yes, I'm sure some people still love it. I'm willing to bet there is a large number of people. But I don't see a satisfaction in watching a show focused on a number of unexplained events if the writers never actually PLAN on explaining them.
From what I have heard and read the writers of Lost had a plan from the beginning of a set number of seasons and episodes and had the whole plot line set all along. Yes, it is taking until the last season to get our explanations but that doesn't mean that they don't exist. Why do you assume that the explanations won't be forthcoming?
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue May 19, 2009 8:20 am

Printers. I hate printers.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue May 19, 2009 9:00 am

Good one. I got a wireless printer recently and all worked wonderfully for about a month and now it is being very problematic, despite my tech husband's best efforts.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Tue May 19, 2009 9:39 am

Probably only a temporary hate, but

ARGH

Everything's been moved!

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Tue May 19, 2009 11:33 am

It's like Cinderella 2, or other Disney sequels. Having a franchise continue on in such a manner is an insult to the original storyline, and to the intelligence of the watchers.
I absolutely hate Disney sequels!

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:00 pm

FYI: Lost is going to start it's final season in 2010. It has been planned from the beginning to be a 6 season show and to wrap it up in the last season. (I'm a giant Lost fan.)
-Kim

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

CHANGE ?

Postby buckshot » Tue May 19, 2009 12:11 pm

All change sucks ! :cry:

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue May 19, 2009 12:31 pm

From what I have heard and read the writers of Lost had a plan from the beginning of a set number of seasons and episodes and had the whole plot line set all along. Yes, it is taking until the last season to get our explanations but that doesn't mean that they don't exist. Why do you assume that the explanations won't be forthcoming?
Okay, okay, I've looked into this now, and apparently you guys are right. Hey, I was a huge fan for the first two seasons and I never heard this stuff. But I think my arguments are still valid: six seasons? If it had ended in the second season, it would still have most of the fanbase it had started with, and it wouldn't have been the joke that it turned into (for at least a while, and at least around, well, everywhere else I hang out). Another example of a show that has run for too long: Monk. I am a huuuuuge Monk fan. I still watch new episodes when they're on. But we're only going to find out what happened to Trudy after eight seasons. Eight. This totals a tiny bit less than one hundred hours of television show, after being adjusted for commercials. That's fifty movies. Fifty movies to tell a story over eight years.

That's too much, with too little character development. I'm not saying that it doesn't work, or that it doesn't entertain, but it brings the quality down. And it's even worse when studios never plan on explaining, Lost being a good example or bad. What about the Cigarette Smoking Man? How do the terrorists always seem to be one step ahead in 24?

Row--row.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue May 19, 2009 12:45 pm

So on the subject of shows that run too long

BSG? Stargate? 4 seasons, and 15 seasons + a couple movies, respectively. Both awesome shows. Doctor Who....30+ seasons (and that's not American either). Moving off Sci-fi, we have Get Smart (5 seasons), and Gunsmoke (20). Just because you don't have the attention span to follow a show, doesn't mean it *shouldn't* keep running if there's more to tell, and I think it would be hard to argue that any of those over stayed their welcome. One of the reasons I love Doctor Who, is that you get a lot more time to meet the characters than you would if it was just a couple of movies. Even the one-off characters in one of the 2-parters get 90 minutes, or enough for a feature length film.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue May 19, 2009 12:46 pm

I got a wireless printer recently and all worked wonderfully for about a month and now it is being very problematic
Yes! I decided to try uninstalling and re-installing since every other thing I tried to do failed and now my computer won't recognize the software. I tried manually opening the files on the disc to run the .exe file but there are only about 15 of them and not a one will do anything other than make my CPU Usage shoot up to 100%. I don't know if it's the software itself, the computer's hardware, if it's because of the OS...any which one it is, it's annoying to the nth degree.
I absolutely hate Disney sequels!
I have only ever seen the two Cinderella sequels and I disliked number 2 while liking number 3 for it's kind of alternate reality approach.

By the way, much as I enjoy Disney movies, the originals quite often insult the intelligence of the watchers by their very nature, given that most have changed their source material to make for a Happily Ever After ending. I remember reading the Little Mermaid in 2nd or 3rd grade and finding it sad, but beautiful. Disney cheapened that story big time before they started making sequels for it.
Last edited by Gravity Defier on Tue May 19, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue May 19, 2009 12:51 pm

It's not a Brother, is it? Anyway, if it makes you feel any better...a tech professional couldn't fix it either :(. I can still use it to print but not how it's supposed to be used. I have to decide it if is worth wasting the $100 I spent two months ago or stick it out using a printer that only half works for as long as possible. It doesn't help that I bought a buttload of aftermarket ink for it on ebay already. Grr.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue May 19, 2009 12:59 pm

No, it's an HP. The good news for me is, while it is temperamental for my mom, it still mostly works for her computer so one of us is still able to use it. But I'll be damned if I'm not upset over personally losing the loss of any of it, especially the scanner.

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Tue May 19, 2009 1:25 pm

The thing you've got to understand about Dr Who is it has the perfect storytelling engine, someone travelling in a magic box and having adventures. They can be historical, sci-fi, fantasy, horror - anything. Your lead is tempermental? Kick them, they regenerate. You don't like a part of your mythos? You have a magic time travelling box to fix it with. It is the most adaptable formula possible and just isn't comparable to otherlong running shows because they don't have this perfect formula and built in devices to kick things up every now and again.

If Monk finds out about Trudy, suddenly it's a different show, and they shouldn't do that until they have no more stories left because ultimately it's not hugely important, it's a episodic show with backstory rather than arc driven. It's still one of my big concerns about Dollhouse that the story they seemed to be trying to tell about Echo rediscovering who she is can't possibly go anywhere because then the basic premise of the show finishes, and true to form, come the finale she's really not that much further than the pilot (ironically enough the finale shot, was the final shot from the unaired pilot). The real problem comes when you've bigged the arc up so much that some get it in their heads that shows that don't address it become missable. Monk isn't a 50 hour novel like The Wire, each episode shouldn't be judged on if it advances the Trudy story, but if it was enjoyable television.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue May 19, 2009 2:15 pm

The thing you've got to understand about Dr Who is it has the perfect storytelling engine, someone travelling in a magic box and having adventures. They can be historical, sci-fi, fantasy, horror - anything. Your lead is tempermental? Kick them, they regenerate. You don't like a part of your mythos? You have a magic time travelling box to fix it with. It is the most adaptable formula possible and just isn't comparable to otherlong running shows because they don't have this perfect formula and built in devices to kick things up every now and again.
Stargate isn't nearly as flexible....but you have the magic door to other planets, and a military program dedicating to using it, so you're free to rotate people on or off the team, as necessary (which they do!)
Incidentally, Doctor Who holds the record for most episodes of any Sci-fi show, and Stargate holds the record for most consecutive episodes of any Sci-fi show.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue May 19, 2009 4:11 pm

I hate that I haven't been able to get anything I attempt to draw to come out right for this past month or so. It is frustrating and sucks all the more because I now have a list, that has quite nicely turned itself into a series, and I think the source of inspiration for it would think it was sweet in a way if ever they were to see it. But as of yet, nothing to see. Well, maybe 40% of one of the so far 21 images can be seen but I'm not even satisfied with that. What's worse is knowing the more frustrated I get, the harder it'll be to stay patient long enough to get anything down, which will frustrate me more, and on goes the cycle.

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Tue May 19, 2009 5:11 pm

I hate spoilers. TV, book, or movie, NEVER spoil a good story. Or at least have the courtesy to give a spoiler alert.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue May 19, 2009 6:42 pm

*click*

DAMNIT! I'm in the Foyer again!

*click*

DAMNIT!!!

Also, my mind skips the first three threads of Milagre automatically.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Bowen
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Bowen » Wed May 20, 2009 2:22 pm

Will Ferrel

STFU COWBELL!!!
-Bowen

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Mon May 25, 2009 7:54 pm

That jcarousel fails when using jQuery 1.3.2

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue May 26, 2009 7:16 am

The fact that my four (local) aunts and uncles went ahead and decided the wake would be today and the service tomorrow without consulting my mother, their sister, the other daughter of the deceased (who lives about 25 hours away, straight driving). It might have been nice if it had occurred to someone that it might not actually be feasible to make it within that very short amount of time. So, upshot is that she has to miss the wake.

I am so, so, so, so very angry about this, but have no one to really yell at who isn't also grieving and so yelling would seem cruel. All the same. Someone needs to take some responsibility for this. I am beyond words. (Well, obviously not. I'm expressing myself quite well and, at times, quite volubly in the car as we drive up. That's not the point.) Particularly as I suspect the reason is because at least one (if not two) of the siblings still wants to leave for Seattle for a family reunion.

Let me get this straight, I imagine saying, you decided to make it impossible for my mother, your sister, to attend her father's wake -- and you gambled with her chance to even be at the funeral -- so that you wouldn't have to postpone your vacation?

So. I really hate that.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Tue May 26, 2009 6:46 pm

1)When I eat to fast and get stomach aches
2)When I have to do stupid stuff for my sibs when their "sick" like massaging their "super sore" feet
3)When I have nothing to do and get really bored
4)Being tired
5)When my contacts bug me and get all blurry no matter how many times I put the drops in
6)When people come up to me and start spurting random gossip that I don't care about or is mean to me or my friends
7) When people keep asking me for answers after I've already told them the answers
8)Certain people I won't mention by name
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Wed May 27, 2009 8:18 pm

AP tests
Agreed. And AP classes. 'Cept for chem. =]
And taking AP Spanish at all.
It's opposite for me.
Pre-AP Chemistry is the class I hate the most this year.
AP Chemistry will most likely be the class I hate the most next year.

Ummm...the opposite gender. :D
Jk
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Wed May 27, 2009 9:20 pm

noobs.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed May 27, 2009 10:16 pm

It's Newbie. To rhyme with boobie.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby ender1 » Wed May 27, 2009 10:34 pm

It's Newbie. To rhyme with boobie.
Not noobs to rhyme with boobs?

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu May 28, 2009 8:13 am

Craving a delicious horseshoe sandwich and being two hundred miles from any diner that has even heard of it.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Thu May 28, 2009 8:34 am

Craving a delicious horseshoe sandwich and being two hundred miles from any diner that has even heard of it.
I am intrigued by this horseshoe sandwich. What is it? Because I have never heard of it.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu May 28, 2009 9:06 am

I am intrigued by this horseshoe sandwich. What is it? Because I have never heard of it.
It's a heart-attack waiting to happen.

Basically, it's two slices of texas toast (or sourdough), topped with two pieces of meat (one for each piece of toast) -- usually hamburger patties (though you can get chicken/tenderloin/fish/whatever you want) -- covered with fries and finally smothered in the house cheese sauce (which varies diner to diner, but generally consists of cheddar cheese and a number of "secret ingredients," which may include beer, worcestershire sauce, and cayenne peppers).

They also have breakfast horseshoes, which consists of texas toast, a breakfast meat (ham, bacon, sausage, etc.), eggs (always go with scrambled), hashbrowns, and cheese sauce or sawmill gravy covering the whole deal.

Sadly, it's a Springfield thing and nobody outside central Illinois has even heard of the sandwich, let alone are willing to make one for me.
Last edited by Syphon the Sun on Thu May 28, 2009 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”