Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Re: Things that I hate

Postby Petra456 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:03 pm

I am convinced that McDonald's sprinkles crack or something in their food. I think I have a physical addiction to it. I don't really enjoy their food that much any more. If I am going to get fast food, I prefer almost everything else to McDonald's. But every once in a while, I have to have McDonald's and only McDonald's. Nothing else will do and I feel terrible until I get it.
This and I absolutely hate it! I never ever crave other fast food as bad. I even feel horrible after I get it, but it still doesn't stop my from craving it like crazy.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:13 pm

I hate that realization after you hear a new song(that you love, that inspires you, that strikes at the chords of your very soul) that the song is so good that you're going to want to replay it over and over. However, you reason, the more you hear it - the quicker the song loses it's magic and your ears start to get used to the aural pleasure. Within lies the dilemma; you must choose to ration and limit how often you listen to the song, in order to keep it fresh, or you binge on it for a couple of days in order to sate your current desire.

Same thing applies whenever I buy a giant bag of Reeses. And it hurts me sooo/oul.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:32 pm

I hate that realization after you hear a new song(that you love, that inspires you, that strikes at the chords of your very soul) that the song is so good that you're going to want to replay it over and over. However, you reason, the more you hear it - the quicker the song loses it's magic and your ears start to get used to the aural pleasure. Within lies the dilemma; you must choose to ration and limit how often you listen to the song, in order to keep it fresh, or you binge on it for a couple of days in order to sate your current desire.
Ugh, this is the worst. It's making you feel guilty for liking something! And that ain't right.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:31 pm

Not pouncing on a cheap flight to CA when I saw it :(
I got the ticket for my sister for SUPER cheap, but I was waiting to buy my ticket because it ALWAYS stays the same.... except this freaking time!
So do i wait longer and see if it goes back... or buy the ticket now for $20 more sigh.....

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:27 am

I would get it now. Usually they sell out of the cheaper seats and then the next cheaper seats, etc, for each flight. Sometimes when the dates get really close or if they have some special sale, they might come down again. But generally, they go up. And I have had that happen to me so many times. I'm watching a cheap flight and the cheap seats sell out. Or I buy one and then there are no more at that fare left. So frustrating!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:43 pm

I %$&#*$& hate Apple products. I hate apps. I hate that my family is all in touch with each other on Facetime and some app called Path and don't care that I can't #&$&ing afford an iphone or an ipod touch.

I also hate that my brother-in-law is such an insane Mac evangelist that he can't handle that we would ever own a PC.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:24 pm

I love my Mac and my iPad, but to each his (or her, in this case;)) own.:)

Oh, and apps aren't specific to Apple products. Just saying'. ;)
Pweb member since 2000

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:32 pm

I love my Mac and my iPad, but to each his (or her, in this case;)) own.:)

Oh, and apps aren't specific to Apple products. Just saying'. ;)
I would love to own those things, but I can't afford them. I hate that apps can't be accessed on a computer. I think it's rude for my family to talk behind my back on an app that they know I can't afford.

Ela
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Get off my lawn!!
First Joined: 0- 9-2000

Postby Ela » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:06 pm

I agree, Jayelle.

And to be perfectly honest, I wouldn't own an iPad if someone hadn't given me one as a gift (or actually, it was given to my husband but he gave it to me to use).

Macs, on the other hand, have been my computer of choice for years.
Pweb member since 2000

Petra
Soldier
Soldier
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby Petra » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:35 pm

When I look forward to something all weekend, and then every last one of my friends bails on me.
"I seem to remember that when I was younger, overly sugared brats were sent down into the basement to fend for themselves, like Lord of the Flies."

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:49 pm

Oooh, I really hate that too. *hugs*
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

GS
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Ganon's Bane
First Joined: 02 Feb 1922

Postby GS » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:37 am

I really hate friends bailing, mostly because my friends bail for the stupidest reasons. And they are usually the ones that set the plans up in the first place. I also hate when friends bail for very valid reasons and then feel bad about it. You can't help that some crazy circumstance has come up and you have to cancel plans. Stop feeling bad sillies!
I don't want to do things. I want to not do things.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:01 pm

I hate taking care of myself when I'm sick.
-Kim

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:24 pm

Fact: if you wake up and say "Oh, cool, Thursdays! I like Thursdays," you will be given a reason to hate the day by the end of it.

So tired of clients...

Row--row.

Confessions
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Guilty

Postby Confessions » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:52 pm

This is a strong community full of kind people, but it isn't a welcoming one. It is quietly obvious that you all have your established friendships here and are not particularly looking to make new ones.
The password is "guilty"

Wind Swept
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Just Another Chris
First Joined: 22 Jan 2003

Postby Wind Swept » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:53 pm

This is a strong community full of kind people, but it isn't a welcoming one. It is quietly obvious that you all have your established friendships here and are not particularly looking to make new ones.
An unfortunate truth. Typically, the only growth this board has seen is through batches of newbies joining all at once and becoming friends with each other.

It's not that we're UNwelcoming, many are simply content with the circle of friends they're currently maintaining and see no need to be welcoming.
"Roland was staring at Tiffany, so nonplussed he was nearly minused."

*Philoticweb.net = Phoebe (Discord)

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:13 pm

It's not that we're UNwelcoming
To be fair, this is inaccurate when you take Pweb's history into account. It's considered a bit of a joke how hostile some long-time members were to new folks over the years. It's moved away from open hostility to hidden/passive but I wouldn't presume to pretend it was over.
Hi. I don't know who you are, which means I don't know which one of these you're coming from:

1) a new poster who hasn't lurked much
2) a new poster who is a long time lurker
3) a poster who has an old join date but mostly lurks
4) a poster who has an old join date who posts moderately
5) a poster who has an old join date who posts frequently but feels left out
6) a poster who has an old join date, left, and came back and now feels new

I'm sure there are others but that should cover most people. Anyway. I don't know which of those you are but quite frankly, I don't find it matters much. You are not off the mark at all -in fact, I'd say you hit the bullseye- and depending on which of those you are, you may or may not be aware of just how much established members have discussed this over the years.

In my opinion, the bar for being unwelcoming is rather low. I find no excuse whatsoever for established people to not welcome anyone who posts in the Foyer; if a person walked into my physical home, said hi, told me a bit about themself and I ignored them or listened but failed to respond, I would consider it reasonable for them to feel an unwelcome vibe. I likewise can't begin to fathom how people can not take the 5 seconds it would require to wish someone a happy birthday, religious beliefs notwithstanding.

It gets a bit more complicated when someone is feeling ignored as far as posts in Milagre are concerned. The rest of the board goes unread by most but is starting to see increased traffic thanks to movie news. I can't speak to chat inside of it but I've found the pattern lately seems to be no oldies will enter if it's nothing but new people but if certain old members go in, the others flock to.

So, as I said, I think you are absolutely right. It's a great group of people but not very welcoming at all.

With that said, I am asking a favor of you: stick around anyway.

And post. Post, post, post. I don't care if chat is all the rage for people getting to know each other; the fact of the matter is, most people got to know each other on the board and I am convinced that putting yourself out there, in writing that is there for all to see and not just a select few, is the best, most tried and true way to get to know people. It's slower going and more difficult but anything worth having is worth working for, right?

It's quite possibly going to feel not so great. You're probably going to feel ignored and talked over. You're going to feel like it's a hard group to break into (it is, until it isn't anymore), that everyone knows everything about everyone else. But stick it out. Please stick that out.

When I first showed up, I was treated...not the best. It is almost considered a rite of passage, which it shouldn't be but it is, all the same.

I know you posted anonymously because that's not the easiest thing to say in front of such a group but if you're willing to break the anonymity, you can feel free to contact me. Because even if you're one of the ones on this board who dislikes the very sight of me, I want this community to grow, not shrink, to thrive, not die, to open it's arms to others, not push them away. Which means as long as you're willing to try, there is at least one person here who wants to get to know you.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:23 pm

And post. Post, post, post. I don't care if chat is all the rage for people getting to know each other; the fact of the matter is, most people got to know each other on the board and I am convinced that putting yourself out there, in writing that is there for all to see and not just a select few, is the best, most tried and true way to get to know people. It's slower going and more difficult but anything worth having is worth working for, right?
Pretty much this is how to do it. Posting over and over just automatically implements you into "the crew". Certain people that I still think of as "newbies" are now perfectly welcome and warmly thought of, even by me, just because they posted and stuck around.

But obviously, there's the flip side: if we're not welcoming, what's the point of staying? And honestly, I can't agree more: if I had any other place to go when I first got really, really into P-Web, I probably wouldn't have stuck around. A sad truth and a little confession for myself, I suppose. But now I'm here and feel like I belong. So there's that.

Row--row.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby thoughtreader » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:50 am

i hate that every day more and more i'm realizing that it might just be time to put cleo to sleep. i don't want to let her go.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:34 am

I'm pretty sure I borked my wrist. I'm really annoyed because it makes it very hard to manouevre Nom-nom.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:35 am

Deserving of a separate post:

*big hugs for Teresa* :(
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:37 am

Deserving of a separate post:

*big hugs for Teresa* :(
seriously bib hugs.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:15 pm

*hugs teresa* I'm so sorry, Teresa! It's really hard.
-Kim

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby thoughtreader » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:46 pm

So i emailed the vet... and friday is the day, unless of course she goes down hill really fast and we need to bring her in sooner. so i have the rest of the week to spoil and love her. this sucks so bad i hate it so much. but her breathing is becoming really labored and i don't think she is in pain but she isn't comforatable either. her energy level is way down and other then brief book shelf scaleing moments (she climed up and got my mil's chocolate coved cookies yesterday)she just seems to sleep and lazy around a lot. sigh this sucks

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:53 pm

*big hugs*

Spoil her lots and make this week the happiest ever. I'm sorry.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:58 pm

*hugs* I'm so sorry, Teresa.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:58 am

Resa, I'm so, so sorry. There are really no words. Spoiling her is really the only course of action, and giving her lots of love from all of us.

Row--row.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:16 am

Spoil her, cuddle her, take loads of pictures of you two together.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:54 am

:(

*big hugs*
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:36 am

I'm so sorry. I really can't imagine. *big hugs*

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:12 pm

Teresa,

I've only met Cleo once and this is absolutely breaking my heart : ( She is a seriously awesome dog! At least she has someone like you who loves her and gave her a great life.

*super big hugs*
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:08 pm

Today I got tricked into cutting an adventure short to get back home last night and got up early to take julie out to breakfast and I find out i'm on my way to the dentist for 2 count em 2 root canals and some crown work. It was like a marathon to get as much done while they had me there conspiracy. :lecture:

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:52 am

I must say that your wife is a genius. (And I'm sorry, Buckshot, but it's for your own good.) :P

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:27 am

Thing number 261537615672453892 that I hate about my government job:

Mandatory overtime on Saturdays.

MANDATORY.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:30 pm

I hate not having a camera with you when you want one (and a camera phone is not good enough in rainy, low light conditions). Today, I saw a small hawk fly up onto a telephone pole but without a picture, I couldn't tell if it was a Cooper's or a Sharp-shinned. I need to start carrying my little digital camera in the car. Hrmph!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”