Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:52 pm

I hate how mad I still am. I hate being mad. I'm not sure how to let go of this one.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:31 pm

When I change my password, but don't remember that I did and feel really confident when I remember the old one because it's been a while only to be shot down by "invalid password" and having to try again.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:15 pm

What's more fun is trying to remember/guess a password to something that locks you out after an annoyingly-small number of tries.

But actually, it can be kind of fun for me, sometimes. It's sorta like trying to figure out a puzzle left by myself in the far past (or near past but I've had amnesia or something). "If I were me... what would I have set this to?"
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:24 am

I hate that for the life of me I cannot figure out what I've done with several of my pens.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:27 am

The whole "old password" thing has been confounding me for the past three years with my old Neopets password.

What would I have come up with in sixth grade? I'm sure it was somehow related to my student ID number...

And, to add to the list of things I hate, I hate IMDb's new look. The X-Box-huge text makes it impossible to quickly scan for titles or names.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:05 pm

I bought freaking pumpkin pie mix in a can instead of just canned pumpkin. Damnit.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:11 pm

I hate IMDb's new look.
Agreed.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:03 pm

I have wasted essentially my entire weekend stressing out over how I'm going to get things done at work this week. A coworker is out on maternity and expressed doubt about coming back after; I was her backup for some of her duties but somehow this turned into me having to do all of them.

I think this is the beginning of the third week she's been out and it's starting to be obvious now that I'm falling behind on doing both of our jobs. I shelve Children's, her YA department, and Adult NF 0-899. That is, without a hint of hyperbole, well over half the library. Plus all the other less obvious tasks of hers and mine.

I hate how impossible it is for us to stay full-staffed for longer than a week and how even one person missing is a huge blow. When I started, there were four of us. A month later, we got person five. Five months after that, we got person six but vacations started being taken and I don't think we've made a full month at 6 people in the 16 months I've been here.

We made a request to the county for another position, just PT even, and were shot down. Meanwhile, branches with smaller collections (but larger square footage) and more volunteers were given new positions. What the hell? 8? 10? 14 people and we're capped out at 6? We have the second largest collection, only behind Main. We have the same types of Circ duties, often second highest door count/patrons in and out.

Sorry. This is a never-ending hatred/frustration that comes to the surface way too often to be good.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:34 pm

The rumor mill that leaves me feeling even more betrayed, even though the rumors aren't about me.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:10 pm

Neopets
I now reserve to right to laugh at you derisively.

...because I also used to have an account

dgf hhw

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:03 am

I'm so ticked. I went over to someone's house to help their kid's bearded dragon (one year old and it's the size of a 4 month old). I was there for over an hour fixing the setup. Well, I came home with 2 flea bites. They have a cat that is not fixed and recently had a litter of kittens. Why do people not take care of their animals?!? It makes me so mad! My cats are treated with Frontline, even though they are indoor. But I'm still freaked out about getting fleas! I'm supposed to go back in a couple days to check on it but there is no way I want to go inside. I think I'll come up with some excuse to just drop off the supplies. I hate fleas!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:55 pm

The Super Friend Zone after the hard meticulous work of spitting game.
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:38 pm

I had the worst luck this weekend, my wife Julie and daughter #4 Kylie went on a high school marching band trip to Portland leaving me to stay home to care for Maddie (7th grade) and Sarah (first year at Eastern St.) I had some fun stuff planned but then. #1 the fridge/freezer took a dump (good thing I planned on feeding the girls in resturants!) cost $500 to repair. #2 got a phone call, all the cars left at the high school got tires slashed Friday night so I drove down and put Kylie's spare on her Saturn so hopefully it would be ready to drive home when they get back on Sunday night. I expect that should cost about $150 for a matching new tire Monday. #3 The exhaust on Gramps old 72 GMC pickup blew apart when I wound it up on the highway heading to the high school to fix Kylie's car. I will drop it off at the muffler shop Monday in Deer Park to fix it Est. $600 maybe more if I decide to put better headers on it. Oh last Wed. I had to have our septic tank pumped out $275 All this sorry blabbering done I think i'm due a better next week. :?

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:57 am

Daaaang... That sounds like one expensive and awful weekend...
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:03 am

ouch.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:39 pm

1. Midterm on financial systems law tomorrow at noon.
2. I only started reading the class material today.
3. I'm only a third of the way through the material.

This ought to be interesting.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:22 pm

Total writer's block on my grant application. I have no idea what else to write.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:42 am

That when I look at the computer for too long without my cheaters I want to claw my eyes out.

(Really, I could just not be lazy... but where's the fun in that?)
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:18 am

Waking up to lots of annoying cat damage control. Really? Two vomits, one huge hairball, and you guys knocked over Plant? Really?

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:32 am

knocked over Plant?

Am I to understand your plant's name is Plant?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Rei
Commander
Commander

Postby Rei » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:21 am

If so, that is delightful.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:41 pm

Plants are stupid and for outside.

I actually don't feel that waay, but I'm grumpy right now.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:53 pm

DAMNIT, I somehow hit 2000 posts without noticing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm NEVER going to get to write a landmark post at this rate!

ARGH!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:22 pm

Waking up to lots of annoying cat damage control. Really? Two vomits, one huge hairball, and you guys knocked over Plant? Really?
Right in the middle of mopping my kitchen floor the other day (a rare event), my cat decided to be utterly freaked out by the mop and jumped on top of a newly transplanted prickly pear cactus (thornless, fortunately for the cat). It was four individual pads that were just barely resting in the soil, being held upright by rocks. The entire large pot of soil tipped over and all of the pads fell out. What a mess! At least I was already prepped to clean the floor.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:08 pm

DAMNIT, I somehow hit 2000 posts without noticing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm NEVER going to get to write a landmark post at this rate!

ARGH!
Well the year is 2010. Write one for your 2010th post and call it in honor of the year that has brought so many changes to your life, etc.
Last edited by starlooker on Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:06 pm

Am I to understand your plant's name is Plant?
When all of us interns in high school decided to raid the local Target and buy little pots of lucky bamboo, everyone had to come up with clever names for theirs. I refused. Guess whose is the only one that has survived the five years since? That's right. My Plant.

Row--row.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:21 am

I hate when I think I have a day off, and then it turns out I just forgot to write down the shift, so I don't, in fact, have the day off, and the next one is a week and a half away.

(I do like not missing a shift, though. That is always embarrassing.)

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:21 pm

This could go in the konami code thread but...

I just watched some gameplay (opening cinematics, and a dozen or so minutes of gameplay) of Other M and just.... augh. A lot of the bad things I've heard about it I think are completely validated. Samus' voice acting is awful, and I think that's not something I often complain about. Her character portrayal is disgusting even in just the first few minutes. I just cannot agree with the notion that the differences in character aren't so bad, or so different. augh.

And relatedly: this made me really want to play Super Metroid again. There is a wii in the apartment these days, but not my snes controller. And wii snes VC games (or at least certain ones) don't even let you try to play the game without a classic/snes/gamecube controller. Dammit, I don't need all the buttons! Just let me play!

dgf hhw

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:10 am

*Cough Cough*

http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/snes/

http://www.emuparadise.org/Super_Ninten ... ,Ja)/30111

If you already own the game already, it's not even illegal!
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:48 pm

If you already own the game already, it's not even illegal!
Um... what?

ETA: Actually, I'll just go ahead and tell you: it's still copyright infringement.

17 U.S.C. § 117 authorizes the owner of a copy of a computer program (or, in this case, a game) to make a copy of that program, provided that it is for "archival" purposes only. What this means is that you're only entitled to a copy of software/games that you make yourself and that such a copy must only be for archival purposes.

Downloading a ROM of any copyrighted game is copyright infringement, regardless of whether you "own" an original copy. Ownership on one type of media does not give you an unlimited license to the content on all types of media. If I own a PC-only program, I can't download it for Mac. If I own a CD, I can't download the mp3s. If I own a VHS, I can't download the DVD or AVI of the movie.

And before you start making your own copies, you might want to look to the DMCA, which (in part) prohibits breaking copyright protection on software. So, even if you were entitled to a archival copy, if you have to break the software's copyright protection to make the copy, you can't.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:21 pm

Oh, sorry - my mistake. The emulators, at least, aren't illegal.
"You're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:52 pm

*Cough Cough*
I already have a rom and emulators, thank you. But no controllers. I ain't playing on a freaking keyboard! (uh, again)
ETA: Actually, I'll just go ahead and tell you: it's still copyright infringement.
The reason that line is so-often said in the emulator communities is that technically the rom itself is not illegal. But yeah, I have no doubt that the distribution of them and the way that nearly everyone gets them is. It's just some silly thing they put on their websites.

I don't know why. Nobody seems to care.

edit: also,
And before you start making your own copies, you might want to look to the DMCA, which (in part) prohibits breaking copyright protection on software. So, even if you were entitled to a archival copy, if you have to break the software's copyright protection to make the copy, you can't.
What we were talking about specifically here was an snes game. I don't think I've ever heard of one having anything someone would call copy protection.

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:46 pm

What we were talking about specifically here was an snes game. I don't think I've ever heard of one having anything someone would call copy protection.
Earthbound has some legendary copy protection on it, man. Look that up. Kind of hilarious.

Row--row.

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:01 pm

I need to see a very specific movie but it is from 1995, so I can't rent it (Redbox is all that's left around here; Hollywood and Blockbuster went out of business) and Netflix doesn't stream it. I'm not going to buy it because I spent my play money, plus some.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:39 pm

I hate not owning a plane anymore! I miss my supercub, I still fly rentals but it's not the same freedom and I have to reserve a rental and do everything legal. I thought I would have a newer or diferent plane by now, this kinda sucks! :x

Return to “Milagre Town Square”