Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Pvt. Brony
First Joined: 04 Jan 2002

Postby Satya » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:31 pm

Things I hate: most jewelry.

Diamonds: nothing says "I love you" like a useless hunk of shiny rock clawed from the guts of a raped earth by slave labor under threat of genocide by warlords for the benefit of rich old white guys.
Discord ID: AJ#0001

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:54 pm

"Hate" may be too strong a word but I'm not impressed with this year's ipod nano. Seems like Apple took several steps in the wrong direction. Not everything needs a touchscreen. I'm glad I got last year's model.
Yuck! I totally agree. I'm so glad I have my 5th Gen.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:07 pm

5th Gen high five! :D

What colour is yours? Mine is black. 8 GB.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:11 pm

Mine's Pink. I'm normally not a pink person, but it was a gift from my in-laws and I actually kinda like the colour now.
Paul has the same one in orange.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:55 pm

Diamonds: nothing says "I love you" like a useless hunk of shiny rock clawed from the guts of a raped earth by slave labor under threat of genocide by warlords for the benefit of rich old white guys.
http://bash.org/?151227
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:40 pm

Stupidity at work. Head Office being blind and inconveniencing everybody because of an overreaction and refusing to listen to the manager closest to the situation.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:04 pm

I know I can be soft-spoken but having to repeat myself even once is the bane of my existence.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Peterlover14
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Junkie

Postby Peterlover14 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:41 pm

Boys...
"I'm drowning in FOOTWEAR!"

-Spike, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season 7

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:25 pm

Boys...
The feeling is mutual, you GIRL you.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Having inspiration strike, hitting your stride, and having that stride carry you right into a creative brick wall. *THUD* I have time now and will likely not have time when the next batch of ideas hit.

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander
Title: is real!
First Joined: 0- 9-2004

Postby VelvetElvis » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:35 pm

That's why I wouldn't let Mr. Dear buy me one.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

spanish_rockette
Soldier
Soldier

Postby spanish_rockette » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:06 pm

i hate cheaters.
"leaving both her husbands behind, the one whose life had a monument and a book, and the one whose only monument was in her heart."

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:24 am

Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:11 pm

There's one part of me that's totally aware of how this is a scheme cooked up by the jewelry industry to make us all its mindless drones.

And yet, I absolutely love mine. It makes me smile. I love watching it in the sunlight. Wouldn't trade it. And don't feel particularly guilty about it.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:17 pm

Back to things that I hate.

That the Sedgwick County Zoo is open 364 days out of the year. Except the day we plan to go on a date there. Because their stupid fundraiser is tonight.

Grrr.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:46 pm

There's one part of me that's totally aware of how this is a scheme cooked up by the jewelry industry to make us all its mindless drones.

And yet, I absolutely love mine. It makes me smile. I love watching it in the sunlight. Wouldn't trade it. And don't feel particularly guilty about it.
Blech. A shiny bauble. It could be fake and 99% would never know it, including the wearer/owner. Pretty much renders the illusion a vain exercise in self-appreciation - a 'look at how much I am valued" proposition. Yes, congratulations diamond-wearers - a tiny (and I mean very tiny) pebble-sized mineral is the representation of the whole idea; that it is so small and useless, yet could very well have cost people their lives (or limbs, or homes, or livelihoods, etc). And who has gained from this transaction of exorbitant sums of money for a rock with a special label? The worst kinds of humans imaginable. Yes Virginia, diamonds are forever. But then again, so is the circle of hell that is reserved for the perpetrators and perpetuators of this travesty.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:36 pm

:roll:

Wow. I wish I could get obnoxiously self-righteous as easily as you. Whenever I find myself getting self-righteous, I find I am usually having a ton of narcissistic fun. So I'm glad you're able to look at anyone who does go the traditional ring route and get that kind of a boost.

So, you should know as well as anyone that "vain self-appreciation" has its merits.

Whatever, though. If you don't like diamonds, don't buy a diamond. It's that simple. If you want to change the world so no one else wants the same, hey, I can respect that, too. Just saying that heavy handed "you're so stupid it's probably fake" type rhetoric may not be the best way to get it done. Particularly if you're preaching to people who have pretty immediate reasons to imbue their "worthless rocks raped from the earth" with memories of a life-changing moment.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:37 pm

:roll:

Wow. I wish I could get obnoxiously self-righteous as easily as you. Whenever I find myself getting self-righteous, I find I am usually having a ton of narcissistic fun. So I'm glad you're able to look at anyone who does go the traditional ring route and get that kind of a boost.
This is irrelevant tripe, and is ignored as such.
So, you should know as well as anyone that "vain self-appreciation" has its merits.
Smoking has merits, too. It's not whether something "has merits" that is the question - it's whether those benefits are worth it. Shiny useless rock versus innocent lives - worth it or not?
Whatever, though. If you don't like diamonds, don't buy a diamond. It's that simple.
It is. I won't.
If you want to change the world so no one else wants the same, hey, I can respect that, too.

Obviously you can't.
Just saying that heavy handed "you're so stupid it's probably fake" type rhetoric may not be the best way to get it done.

I didn't say it was fake. I didn't even call you stupid. I said that it, or any one, for that matter, could be and no one would know it - hence the uselessness of the rock. If all non-industrial diamonds were replaced with a good fake, what would be the difference? That's exactly the point. The whole idea is "I give you this expensive yet worthless hunk of ore to show you how much I love you." If the point is the expense, something practical would be better. If the point is the shiny bauble, anything with adequate luminosity would suffice. It's bullshit either way.
Particularly if you're preaching to people who have pretty immediate reasons to imbue their "worthless rocks raped from the earth" with memories of a life-changing moment.
I'm sure it was quite life-changing for the starving slave who clawed it out of a gaping hole in the ground in what used to be his/her home and what used to be useful land but was now a desolate, barren clear-cut. It was probably not so life changing for the trillion dollar industry that suckered just one more set of saps into buying an enormously expensive product that provides absolutely no benefit whatsoever to the consumer save an emotional charge that they themselves manufactured in them. You can't win this. You already lost. But that's not the point - it's everyone else who has lost in the process. Call me what you will; obnoxious, self-righteous, what-the-f*** ever. That's irrelevant to me. I don't have the capacity to care about that. Strangely, I actually find myself caring about other people at this stage in my life. It's just that most issues are not as cut-and-dried as this one. Other topics have more shades of gray; this does not. You aren't arguing with me. You're arguing with this.

ImageImage

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:29 pm

Hey, guess what? My diamond is from Canada - not all diamond mines are created equal.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:57 pm

Being caught in the middle of a jurisdictional dispute which I have no influence over on either side. Gah.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Satya
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Satya » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:49 pm

Hey, guess what? My diamond is from Canada - not all diamond mines are created equal.
Diavik or Ekati? Either way, regardless of whether the mines are created equal or not, the uselessness of non-industrial diamonds themselves are.

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:50 am

My home town is on fire! Well, the foothills to the west of it are. Last week, it was Boulder. We went all summer with no fires in CO, and now that it's September, we have 2 major ones within a week? What the heck?
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:55 pm

I hate how hard it is to truly share a feeling with someone. You can use all the words in the world but sometimes, a lot of times, you just can't share the feeling.

I also hate how I'm now done with Y:TLM.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:11 pm

Wow, you didn't waste any time. I just read the first issue about an hour ago.

And as long as I'm here, I hate how my main USB flash drive, the one with ALL my work related files (lessons, tests, exams, marks, etc.) since the start of my career has decided to become unreadable.

Thank God that most of these files were backed up on my hard drive. I'm not even sure which ones weren't, but sooner or later their absence will likely inconvenience me, just as the lack of a reliable flash drive with enough capacity to hold all my files already has.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:22 pm

Wow, you didn't waste any time. I just read the first issue about an hour ago.

Life is kind of complicated, messy, and scary at the moment. I found it rather easy to throw myself into a story that was not mine to distract from all that. The more time I spend not being in my world, the longer I can stay content. Escapism for the win.

Boo for me not getting things around the house done that needed doing -who needs clean clothes for work, a groomed lawn, etc. when I can be entertained?!- but yay! for you starting the comic.

Sucks about your flash drive, though. :(

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:53 am

It is 5:45, I don't have to be up for over an hour, and I'm awake because someone didn't want to wake me up early like they did Wednesday and said so loudly enough for me to be woken up. And then proceeded to talk about me with my mom. At least, at the end, they mentioned taking me to the theater so I can see The Town tonight.

I'm going to be hurting today.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:33 pm

Haircuts.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:56 pm

Loss of momentum.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:34 pm

Patients that fake EPS. Poorly.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:42 pm

EPS?

I hate my job.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:04 am

This is the closest I could find for EPS in a "patient" related sense but I'm not sure if it's right.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:05 am

I woke up with a whollop of a cold this morning. Gah. BAD TIMING!

VelvetElvis
Commander
Commander

Postby VelvetElvis » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:16 pm

This is the closest I could find for EPS in a "patient" related sense but I'm not sure if it's right.
You got it. Attention seekers are the worst.
Yay, I'm a llama again!

starlooker
Commander
Commander

Postby starlooker » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:06 pm

Freaking documentation.
into the wind, unafraid.

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

fawkes
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: punk

Postby fawkes » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:42 pm

You got it. Attention seekers are the worst.
People fake this? Weird.
Step one, take off your shirt. Step two ... Step three, PROFIT!

Return to “Milagre Town Square”