Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:38 pm

It was a cool morning. Brent suggests it was a Three Mile Island situation - not one factor but a whole bunch of failsafes overridden. I hadn't had breakfast yet (we tend to eat with the residents), it was a bit chilly, I hadn't slept well, I was sore from yesterday (mostly just my butt, but still), I'm not in shape, and I had to deal with a hill.

I've had to deal with all of these before, and it's never been a problem. I've even had to deal with a combo of three or four and been fine. When I biked to work in Ontario I managed twice the distance with no problems, even when I was just starting out.

We'll see how I'm doing tomorrow, whether I give it another try with more sleep and a happier tummy.

Ugh.

Still. Things I love: biking.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:02 pm

I guess I wasn't paying attention and I made a .mov instead of a jpg. Can I just change the .mov to .jpg and have a jpg that works?
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:27 pm

"I hate being a pushover, a sucker, a spineless idiot" + "I hate money."

A brother asked for money. He stated it "May I borrow [amount]?" but he and I both know that translates into "Will you give me [amount] and never expect it back?"

I never see him, or my other older brother, unless they want something. Babysitting or money have been the big ones. What they don't get is, I would resent them a hell of a lot less if they treated me and my mother as if we mattered any other time, when babysitting or money requests weren't involved. I would resent them a lot less if they actually did what I do, in order to have any money to lend them, and that is budget and be able to tell what is necessary vs what is not and when it is okay to give in to the what is not. I get paid less than all of my working brothers but still have bills -rent for mom, money for upkeep of the house, cell phone, etc.- I'm saving for Chicago, which is both the easiest and hardest thing I've ever done, and yeah, I like to spend my money on fun things because for crying out loud, I've earned it. There is nothing magical about why I have money and they don't. If they quit trying to keep up with the Rodriguezes, if they quit blowing money on large purchases they didn't need, we'd never be in this position.

God dammit, I hate it how they seem to know when I'm feeling good and ruin it because they know I don't know how to say no.

*deep breath* I have the money. It would come from my surplus, non-Chicago money (mostly). I could work around it and be fine. But is that all I really am to my own family? Bank of Alea? People never cease to depress and disappoint.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:11 pm

(I might be completely missing the point but...)
I guess I wasn't paying attention and I made a .mov instead of a jpg. Can I just change the .mov to .jpg and have a jpg that works?
So take a frame :)

But motion-jpeg is a valid class of video formats, innit?
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:35 am

not if the computer that made the .mov is a 2001, OS9 macintosh that can't even recognize mjpg as a valid file format. like mp4s another file I have to transcode into something older to get it to work with those machines.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Addict

Postby Sonikku13 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:56 pm

I hate being 17. I can't open my own bank account that is 100% under my control. I can't buy US savings bonds on my own. I can't start an IRA. I can't get my own credit card. Basically, I can't sign any darn legally binding agreements, although I believe I am knowledgeable enough to read and sign them. I got one more year to live with my parents until I go to college. I can't vote. And I especially hate (8R,9S,10R,13S,14S,17S)- 17-hydroxy-10,13-dimethyl- 1,2,6,7,8,9,11,12,14,15,16,17- dodecahydrocyclopenta[a]phenanthren-3-one!
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I've had 102 nukes on MW2.

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

Graff*
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Graff* » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:32 am

I hate that I lost my other account. I also hate that all my friends have left Pweb.
Where does friendship stop and love begin?

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:39 pm

Next time, dude, just PM one of the mods and we can fix that for you.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Carrot hamburgler

Postby Graff^ » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:01 pm

Wasn't sure you'd believe me. You know the old "I lost my password can I have a new one trick?"

Then I'll just leave it at I hate all my friends have left Pweb
Where does friendship end and love begin?

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:11 pm

Can't you simply internetsocialize with them outside Pweb?
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:14 pm

THese are the friends that I met on Pweb. I can't really do that.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:14 pm

Yeah, you can.

It's called emailing, and instant messaging.

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:15 pm

Its called one is away from a modem and one, well I could do that for one. Thanks Cez

I hate bees

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Good Luck.

I hate my arching back, that I constantly fight in the name of posture.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:30 pm

Wasn't sure you'd believe me. You know the old "I lost my password can I have a new one trick?"

Then I'll just leave it at I hate all my friends have left Pweb
There's a trick? Oh, right, hacking. Eh, we could always check the IPs.

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:32 pm

I always forget you mods have that particular power.

I hate that I don't have a car.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Eaquae Legit » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:14 pm

I hate when you have a shower and then have to do some chore or task that makes you sweaty again. Grr.

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:46 pm

I hate that too.

I hate when someone says "I'll just be 5 minutes" and then you spend 2 hours there.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:47 pm

I hate that I lost my other account. I also hate that all my friends have left Pweb.
Next time, dude, just PM one of the mods and we can fix that for you.
Dude, the mods can do that? Bring me back volfield, dammit.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:50 am

Man,mods are gods. They can bring back the dead.

I hate that it might rain today.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:39 am

The Steve Wilkos show.

I mean, sometimes it can be entertaining. Rare few times.
However, it's horrendously flawed, since the acquisition of the truth is through Polygraph Lie Detector Test.

Seriously? This guy's a cop, so he should already know that a lie detector test isn't even admissible as evidence in a court of law.

The Polygrapher should have already heard the case of Aldrich Ames and other double agent spies who passed their polygraph tests, which I imagine, would have helped establish their credibility and allow them to spy better.

They should have heard that the physiological responses they are supposed to measure can be cause by other things, such as fear of being unjustly screwed by the lie detector test.

Lol if I ever have to go on that show, I'm going to give them all a good talk on how much bullsh!t I think the "lie detector" is, and hey even if I pass, I'd be like "Yeah, with the way the lie detector works, I could still be lying. The fact that I passed doesn't mean I'm not guilty. Trust my word not this load of bull".

Though, I might just adhere to the simply rule: Never take a lie detector test.

Syphon the Sun, (if you read this)your thoughts on lie detector tests?

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:23 am

My contact with criminal law is pretty limited. I've studied it (and its various related subjects) and occasionally deal with expungement proceedings or ordinance violations, but that's pretty much it.

That said, polygraph results are inadmissible in Illinois for the purposes of proving guilt or innocence. (They can still be used to rebut a charge of police misconduct or of coerced confession, but that's pretty much it's only use, here, as far as I know.) I believe they're still admissible in some states, but I haven't really looked into it, lately. We don't allow them, though, because they aren't reliable and admitting the evidence inevitably leads to the jury giving it undue weight based on its quasi-scientific nature. ("If it weren't reliable, the judge wouldn't let it in. Because he did, it must be reliable.") And I haven't seen anything to cause me to disagree with the finding of its (lack of) reliability.

Of course, it's still widely used by police departments, even in smaller communities. I'm not sure how helpful it is, or if its use comes from anything other than its presence in popular culture, which certainly impacts how suspects cooperate. (If they really think it is reliable, as popular culture has indicated, they may be more cooperative. If they're innocent, they will think the results will prove that and if they're guilty, they may try to plea bargain.)
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby CezeN » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:40 am

Oh okay. Did you stumble across any other possibly accurate lie detection methods/machines, aside from like facial analysis, in your research?

I did read about an effective method of using the polygrapher, though: Hypothetically, if you ask a possible suspect about a detail of the crime that they would only know about if they were the criminal or were somehow involved, it should elicit some type of physiological reaction - while those who didn't would probably be simply confused or remain unfazed.

Sounds logical to me.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:52 am

I think that the only thing that has been proven about lie-detectors is that they work if the person under interrogation believes they work. If that person isn't excesively nervous, which invalidates the whole procedure.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:55 am

Big company meetings.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:49 pm

I watched a Mythbusters episode where Kari, Grant, and Tori tried to fool the "lie detector" of an MRI monitoring the difference in brain activity when telling the truth and when lying. If I recall correctly, Grant beat it, but the other two didn't. Does that count?

Really, my perspective is totally different from anyone in law enforcement and they'd probably be more able to answer your questions of the widespread use of lie detection methods. By and large, from what I've seen, lawyers don't care able lie detection methods -- they want evidence that they can use. Lie detection methods may later lead to finding better evidence, but, in and of themselves, aren't all that helpful.

I suspect that in jurisdictions where the results are admissible, it's only really used as a minor piece of evidence in the grand scheme of the trial. Or it's used by lazy prosecutors who don't want to actually prove their case and can rely on the misconception that it's a reliable way of measuring truth. ("The lie detector test proved my case for me? Score!") Or it's used by defense attorneys of clients who know how to fool it or because they know that the jury believes the misconception and therefore have to address it. (Catering to jury misconceptions is actually a pretty common thing in criminal law; crime shows like CSI and Law & Order have trained the public that we need expert testimony for pretty much everything and we had better find DNA all over the place. If you try a case without bringing into evidence everything the jury expects to see, even if the expectation is based on popular culture and has no relation to the actual way trials are run, they're less likely to convict.) It's sort of like character evidence: yeah, it's sometimes used, but if your case hinges on it, there's a big problem and you're probably going to lose.

Mostly, we just let the jury be the lie detector, which is why few jurisdictions allow jurors pens and paper. If they have those, they're more concerned with getting everything down that they're not observing the speaker's demeanor. But even still, observation of demeanor is just one way in which we hope juries will determine the truth. If your case depends on whether or not your nervous (but innocent) client "looks guilty" when answering cross-examination questions, you're in trouble.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:28 pm

You just made me rethink something I thought I had down. I always thought that only spys and sociopaths could be the lie detector and that the general public couldn't. So if I was on a jury and a lie detector said someone was innocent then, yea I'd say they were innocent myself. Thanks Syphon that better informes me.

Then yea I hate misinformation.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:13 pm

The fact that the kit-kat commercial that I despise was apparently just the beginning of a plethora of crunch commercials.

If I was in charge of the world, I would insist that the only commercials allowed to use the crunching sound 1) be Lays Classic Potato Chips and Nestles Crunch bars and 2) have some other background noise going on as well.

Latest commercials inspiring my ire and wrath -- stupid popcorn commercial and KFC commercial. Also, that stupid-ass yogurt commercial with the pronounced noises of the woman scraping the bottom of the yogurt container. Not only is the sound irritating, but the commercial has the opposite effect on me that it should -- instead of thinking, "Oh, wow, I bet that's good yogurt," I'm thinking, "Oh, geez, obviously there was not enough in there to be satisfying. She's still hungry."

Anyhow. Carry on.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:33 pm

I hate going to the dentist so much that I put myself in a worse situation healthwise by procrastinating to the bitter impacted end ! Last month I lost a temp crown on my top left back mollar and I guess the tooth broke in half vertically and started moving around . By friday night it got infected, and somehow I figured I'd make it till monday. Talk about stupid ! It's gonna be a long wait till monday morning now ! Why do I put myself through this ? I have insurance , I have money , if I only had a brain ! :x

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:41 am

Bum-bum-bum-bum-bum-bum-buuum!

I hate that I have fallen into a recession. If I lurk any longer I will ever be a ....lurker!

Petrie
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: GD in Disguise

Postby Petrie » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:10 pm

If I lurk any longer I will ever be a ....lurker!
Honestly, I think you could stand to try out lurking for a while. If you don't count your short break of however long that was, you've been here for about 5 months and have 1000+ posts already, after threads have been deleted with a good chunk of your posts in it. A lot of us have been here for just short of 4 years and with me as the highest poster, I can't even claim to have 1,000 a year, not even if I combine the three handles I've used, and I post an awful lot of garbage, too.

Believe me, it's not every day I tell people they should post less but good grief, at least step it up some in quality if you insist on upping the quantity.

Oh, disclaimer: I do not speak for everyone, I'm sure some people find you completely charming and adorable and love to see what words of wisdom you have to share today.

PS: This does not mean I dislike you, want you to permanently go away, etc.

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:57 pm

I understand. I have posted alot. I will only comment when I have a solid opinion and something beneficial to offer, or I'm playing Calvinball.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:36 pm

IT went and finally blocked Meebo for staff, too. I want to be able to use it on lunch breaks and evenings I work, when there are 3 people in the entire library and they're all playing solitaire or whatever it is they're doing.

Suck a bug.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Sonikku13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Game Room Addict

Postby Sonikku13 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:52 pm

I hate the 8e6 filter. They block everything, and proxy sites don't work because those are blocked too! Remind me to try to make a proxy at my home PC.
TG M203 Bunker, PFC, 1st Corps, CoD Division, PC Brigade, 1st BTN, Chungking (ST) Squad, SM

I've had 102 nukes on MW2.

I have Asperger Syndrome (I was diagnosed at birth). It's categorized as a "disability".

Graff^
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Graff^ » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:23 pm

My friend's abusive girlfriend. Except she only really abuses me. Alot. I have welts all over me.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”