Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:18 am

On this topic, I downloaded several gigabytes of different digital comics once I discovered that I could taste of them before deciding whether to purchase. The digital comic viewer I use (ComicRack) works a lot like iTunes, and I used it to tag all of my comics. All of Ultimate X-Men. All of Hellblazer. All of Transmetropolitan. Watchmen. Wanted. Etc.

Then, on a hunch, I sent a Transmet to my friend and had him check the tag. It was blank except for the titles.

All of those hours of obsessively tagging (and finding; some issues never explicitly say) writer, artist, editor, typographer, issue number, colorist, story arc name were wasted. Hours.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:50 am

Lent's over now, though. Unless you're Orthodox, in which case you have another week.
Like him?Image
Yep, like him.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:16 pm

My mom's obsession with weight and looks; and the lengths she has gone to, and will continue to go to, to attempt to meet her standards of beauty.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:37 pm

The cat's inability to stop scratching the velvety furniture even when sprayed with water. There are tons of things he can scratch, just not these three pieces of furniture! WHY MUST HE CONTINUE?

These are honest questions, too, as I've never owned a cat before.

Also: we have a kitty!

Row--row.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:43 pm

the cat probably won't associate your spraying it with water with bad behavior of scratching the furniture (as a dog would) the cat will just think you're an a******.

there is often no earthly explanation for why cats do what they do, but congratulations on joining the ranks of people owned by cats! :D
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:31 pm

The cat's inability to stop scratching the velvety furniture even when sprayed with water. There are tons of things he can scratch, just not these three pieces of furniture! WHY MUST HE CONTINUE?

These are honest questions, too, as I've never owned a cat before.

Also: we have a kitty!
If the cat isn't responding to the water (and locke's right, the cat quite possibly just thinks you're a jerk), there are a couple options. You could try spraying some kind of aversive on the surface he's scracthing. There are several sold commercially (bitter orange, etc) or you could make your own (tobasco sauce, diluted to not stain). You could also try making appropriate scratch surfaces attractive (I have one of those cardboard things hanging from a doorknob. I rub catnip on it and my cat would scratch that forever... and drool, which seems to be her response to catnip. Joy and drool.)

If that doesn't work, you could buy the panels of adhesive plastic to attach to your furniture. Or, if you don't like that, you can essentially buy cat claw sheathes. They're these little plastic things you glue over the cat nail so they don't do damage when they scratch.

Or.. you could get them declawed. But, I don't advocate that. It is, quite literally, cutting off the first joing of their fingers. You know, the little one on the end with your fingernail. (There is an alternative where they resect a tendon on the bottom of their toes, but this makes it so that you have to clip their toenails every month or so because they can no longer extend them to take the growth off.)
-Kim

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:59 pm

Or, if you don't like that, you can essentially buy cat claw sheathes. They're these little plastic things you glue over the cat nail so they don't do damage when they scratch.
I don't know if you've actually had success with the claw covers yourself, Kimmy, but I tried them when Monkey was a kitten and didn't find them very effective. At least 50% would fall off within a day or two; and getting her to sit still to glue each one on was a nightmare too.

Another thing to hate re: cats - getting ripped off at the vets. I had to go to a new vet because my old one was a traumatic 45 minute ride away. This new one charged $200 for the exact same exam, treatment and medicine that I got for $100 at the old vet last fall. Grr!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:17 pm

Re: the claw sheats:

They worked well for me. But, Elli is quite cooperative when I'm messing with her feet so I got them glued on really well. They lasted about a month during which time I managed to change her scratching habits.

Re: "getting ripped off at the vet"

Well, in part, costs have gone up for vets. (Medicine costs are getting much more expensive) But that doesn't account for the entire increase between the 2.
-Kim

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:54 pm

Thanks for all of the advice, guys! As good a shot as I'm getting with the tiny squirt gun we use to spray him with, maybe we'll start trying some of these other things. The thing is, he isn't really mine, he's my roommates, so anything that happens to him is entirely her decision. I just clean his litterbox and watch him whenever she's gone (which is most of the time, being an engineering student with 50,000,000 labs a day, but I don't mind at all). Re: declawing, I'm pretty sure that's the direction she's going, and I'm just happy he's a month old as opposed to a year, because I may not know much about cats, but I'm assuming waiting that long is even crueler to them.

Row--row.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:52 pm

declawing sucks. just train it to be well behaved, and get some leather gloves for "play time"

and don't buy expensive furniture for a couple years.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:57 pm

Hills with pull-offs in the blindspot, and the cops who park there. Relatedly: $140 speeding tickets.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:43 pm

Discovering that I flooded my house with my washing machine at 10 o'clock at night.

*Sigh*

I think I'm going to be tired tomorrow.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:23 am

When a webcomic makes a reference in strip 994 to something involving two characters who last interacted in strip 666. Argh, I couldn't sleep until I spent a couple of hours looking for what the hell it was talking about. It was like three freaking years ago! I can't remember that!
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:52 pm

Grown women who act like preteen girls. Some people never grow up.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

CezeN
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will not be ignored

Postby CezeN » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:19 pm

AP tests
Gunny and his thoughts on First Earth:

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:42 pm

That I get annoyed when relatives e-mail me about making logos for them. It's what I do, and they're paying, so I should really be happy when they ask me to work for them.

Row--row.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:35 am

laundry: I have a finished load on my bed and another about to come out of the dryer and I really really don't want to fold it or put it away. I wish I could just dump it on the floor and not fold it for days. ugh.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:21 am

I agree with you locke. Its not the doing of the laundry that I hate. Its the folding. I can't stand it.

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:10 am

I almost never fold or put away my clean stuff either. There is always at least 3 of those big baskets overflowing with my stuff. If I leave it long enough Julie finally gets pissed and puts my clothes away , but then i'm really lost ! :)
"it's not enough we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required. " -CHURCHILL

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am

It's not the folding that I hate; it's the folding it alone. If I have someone with me, I don't really mind, but if I'm alone I have an immensely difficult time convincing myself to do it.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:59 am

Same here, I have to have someone keeping me company or i'll let them sit in the basket and for days.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

human.
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: pequenino

Postby human. » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:57 pm

AP tests
Agreed. And AP classes. 'Cept for chem. =]
And taking AP Spanish at all.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Fri May 01, 2009 3:56 pm

my room mates stupid girlfriend

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Tue May 05, 2009 11:53 pm

How book reviewers seem to think that the word superfluous is a compliment. Or the people who put pull quotes on the front of books do. Either way, it stares at me every time I look at half of the Dresden Files books.

Row--row.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Fri May 08, 2009 12:22 am

I've never seen that before. Do you have any picture examples? It sounds really funny.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Fri May 08, 2009 4:41 am

When you really need to talk to someone anyone but it 3"40 am and you can't call anyone and no one is online!

my roommates stupid girlfriend (see Bob)

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Luet » Sat May 09, 2009 7:50 pm

I know it is a common pet peeve to hate when people talk during movies...but I think I am at a far end of the spectrum. I really need to stop seeing movies in the theater when it is packed. I want to scream at anyone around me who is talking...and there are always people talking. When they are talking during the previews (which is okay but I still don't like), I start to get very tense because it doesn't bode well for their theater etiquette. If you need/want to talk to the person next to you, can't you whisper quietly? Why must it be said in a normal speaking voice so that all rows around you can hear? I do know that I am oversensitive to this but I really can't help it. It must be the hints of Asperger coming through.

btw, I liked Star Trek. :)

Jeesh_girl15
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Procrastination Fairy

Postby Jeesh_girl15 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:53 pm

Some things I hate are:
Repetitive People
When little kids try to all grown up and carry around flashy purses and stuff
Anything else i hate and can't think of right now.
You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Tue May 12, 2009 3:37 am

(Sorry, couldn't find the AARGH! thread)

I just created an FML.

In order to start driving lessons, one needs to fill out a certain form, take a photo and an eye test. All of these cannot be done at home, only at a certain shop in the mall, which is located 20 minutes away from my house (by car/bus). Also, you must bring your ID.

So, I went to the closest bus stop, stood in the sun because the stop itself was full, and waited. Lines after lines went by, but not the lines that would (supposedly) get me to the mall: 6 and 18. After an hour of waiting, 55 minutes of which I stood in the sun, finally line 18 went by. I asked the driver if he goes to the mall. He said no, and recommended two different lines, 24 and 33, 33 having passed by already. :shock:

So I got on the next 33, which has to take a LONG ride- of course- and so, an hour and a half after I left the house, I reached the mall. I searched around, found the store - and then I remembered I forgot my ID at home. (Obviously, the store clerk didn't agree to do it without the ID)

In short: I waited an hour in the hot sun for the bus, drove to the mall all PO'd, just to find out I didn't have the ID I needed to get the form, eye test and take the photo. :evil: :x :cry:
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

^Peter
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ^Peter » Tue May 12, 2009 5:30 pm

Couples who have to eat eachother in the halls in plain sight inbetween classes.

Too much perfume, too strong deodorant. Why can't you just shower and be done with it? Or at least get deodorant that isn't so musty.

People who sag their pants. What's the point of having your pants so low? It just makes you look obnoxious.

When before you fall asleep you decide you'll have cereal for breakfast, and then you wake up in the morning and find out you don't have milk.

Or when you decide to fry an egg and find out you don't have bread to toast to go with it.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu May 14, 2009 9:41 pm

overuse of FML.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu May 14, 2009 10:41 pm

My grandmother mimicking me in an annoying tone, not when I say something stupid but when I say anything.

My grandmother calling me "Wea." Just...don't. I let very close friends call me Lea but even that normally pronounced, common name bugged me at first. I refuse to give in for Wea.

My grandmother recounting bits of our conversations to my mother in an unflattering light, thinking I can't hear it. "Your daughter said [annoying mimicking]..."

My grandmother asking me things and answering for me with, "Oh right, you don't know." ARRGH. No, I don't know when we're leaving for Tucson as it depends on my mother's schedule, not mine. No, I don't know what channel ABC/NBC/CBS are...I don't watch TV often and when I do, I surf until I find Scrubs or a movie on HBO. No, I don't know anything, Grandma, you're right.

My grandmother following me into my room. When I come in here, it's to get away from people, thanks.

Okay, basically, I hate being around my grandma when she comes to visit. She is not like this at her house and so she is tolerable there.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Lell
Launchie
Launchie

Postby Lell » Thu May 14, 2009 10:52 pm

I hate the people that betray on Halo...

I hate TACOS!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Thu May 14, 2009 10:56 pm

I hate TACOS!
Leave. NOW.

(Seriously, you are kidding, right?)
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eskarina
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Eskarina » Fri May 15, 2009 4:34 am

- Teachers that absolutely rely on the feeling they're in control and tend to assume the fact they have some position implies they also have correct knowledge

- Not knowing any independent, or, not House of Netjer related, Kemetics in my area

- People admiring my skills where I know there is just This Lot to learn yet, as it makes me feel I'm not grateful enough for their appreciation with the desire to know more (why don't people around me see when I say 'I need to know yet xyz', I am *not* saying it just to make them feel like I have no interest in them as it's being 'selfish'), and it's sort of annoying to just stay silent to avoid this

- People ridiculously applying behavioral theories on much more complicated psychological mechanisms or whole inner life of a person

Return to “Milagre Town Square”