Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
UnnDunn
Soldier
Soldier

Postby UnnDunn » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:38 pm

So there's this thing that many action videogames do these days..., I call it the "delay and bum-rush" technique.

Basically the game finds a reason to keep you trapped in one place for x amount of time while you are assaulted with wave after wave of enemies. Maybe your "partner" will be busy hacking into a locked door mechanism, or the crowd favorite: you'll be forced to wait for an exceedingly slow-moving elevator to arrive.

But once you kill all of the enemies, magically the door will be hacked or the elevator will arrive and you can proceed.

It's the most annoying, stupid game mechanic ever conceived, and I hate hate hate it.

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:46 pm

I'm getting annoyed that PWeb is clearing all the new posts for me as soon as I look at one thread. I want to see which ones I haven't looked at yet without having to memorise which ones I haven't seen!
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:07 am

(S is awesome, btw; I get all the dirt. I don't use any of it against A because I don't think that's right, not allowing for there to be any sort of 'taint' to S's testimony, but it's good knowing the rest of the story)
I hate that to get the whole story about situations/events indirectly related to oneself that you must go behind peoples backs for "insider information". I'm so guilty of this, but I hate not knowing every detail about things that directly or indirectly pertain to me.

Concordently (ho yeah, get to use that word!), I hate that people will keep you in the dark or otherwise not tell you everything you should know about things that to relate to yourself and situations involving you! Bah, I hate people!

I hate that General Education classes are included in on your GPA. They shouldn't be. They should be graded on a PASS/FAIL scale that is omitted from your GPA. Only classes pertaining to your major should reflect upon your actual GPA.

Why? Because it seems like the GE classes are where most people get screwed. Teachers seem to take the GE classes as being super important, real life, classes, and as such treat them like they are the most important part of your studies. I'm sorry, but I am not a history major and as such I should not be in danger of having my GPA raped because I refuse to cram my mind full of useless names and dates for a class I am required to take and am not completely interested in.

I hate that today my "history review" for my history mid term essay I have to write in class on Tuesday was essentially him just telling us that we should be fluent in the last six weeks, eight chapters, and ~600 years of history. He wouldn't get specific, or really even give us any idea where the questions may lay.

I refuse to cram-study. I refuse. I hate that some classes, to get a good grade, require you to do this. This is not learning. This is paying for stress to get a number. I am here to learn, not to learn to cram names and dates in my head for a single exam. Since I am not a history major this should not be required or even expected. I can and will recall the rough chain of events with examples given in the book as to their purpose and reasoning and dates of major events. I will not, however, cram all weekend only to forget everything on Tuesday afternoon. No thanks. It is pointless. I would rather get an A- or worse, destroying my 4.0 forever.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:20 am

So, uh... honest question here. Why are you taking a history class at all?
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:37 am

So, uh... honest question here. Why are you taking a history class at all?
Where are you from that doesn't require a history credit to graduate?
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:23 am

It depends on the program. All the mathies and engineers I knew didn't have any history required (they could barely fit the program requirements in), and even among the Arts and Humanities faculty, history is just one of the options in the breadth requirements. I didn't know anyone in science, but I imagine it was the same for them as for math and engineering. Sure, some disciplines will require history classes inevitably, but I've never heard of it being a general requirement for everyone.

I know the class seems completely irrelevant to you, but on the whole, breadth requirements (general ed?) are there for a reason. I'm really glad that I had the chance to take "irrelevant" classes in my undergrad - I learned things I never would have otherwise. 5 years later, I find the things I learned in them suddenly have relevance. It's frustrating to be stuck in a class you didn't choose. But if you give it an honest effort, it will likely become a little more enjoyable, and you might actually start making connections. The ideal goal of university is to teach you to start thinking like that, interdisciplinary and outside the box.

I know that probably sounded like a lecture, but it wasn't meant that way. I feel bad that you dislike the class so much, and also I love history and it saddens me that it's so irritating to you. You can take the thoughts or leave them, but I hope you'll at least give them a moment's consideration.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:12 pm

When did Youtube become pop-up video? It was pretty cool on VH1 fifteen years ago, but it's annoying and unneeded in a 2 minute online video. Please keep your inane commentary in the info box and comment thread and out of the video.
The enemy's fly is down.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:14 pm

It's not that I don't enjoy the class. It is quite interesting in fact. I just hate that he is treating it as if everyone in the class are history majors and should thus be fluent in names and dates. He polled us day one and there was one history major out of the 50 students in the class.

My classes would be a little bit different in that I'm going to a Jr. College at the moment. Why? Because I'm the only one who is taking care of my mother and I can't just stop doing that. Also, the university in town is beyond crap. Hopefully in a year I'll be able to attend a full university. For the moment this is good as it allows me to "catch up" on some of the things I really didn't get to completely learn being home schooled. Namely math. Since what I wish to go in to is math intensive, I need to "catch up".

Derwyddon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Derwyddon » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:52 pm

It depends on the program. All the mathies and engineers I knew didn't have any history required (they could barely fit the program requirements in), and even among the Arts and Humanities faculty, history is just one of the options in the breadth requirements. I didn't know anyone in science, but I imagine it was the same for them as for math and engineering. Sure, some disciplines will require history classes inevitably, but I've never heard of it being a general requirement for everyone.

I know the class seems completely irrelevant to you, but on the whole, breadth requirements (general ed?) are there for a reason. I'm really glad that I had the chance to take "irrelevant" classes in my undergrad - I learned things I never would have otherwise. 5 years later, I find the things I learned in them suddenly have relevance. It's frustrating to be stuck in a class you didn't choose. But if you give it an honest effort, it will likely become a little more enjoyable, and you might actually start making connections. The ideal goal of university is to teach you to start thinking like that, interdisciplinary and outside the box.

I know that probably sounded like a lecture, but it wasn't meant that way. I feel bad that you dislike the class so much, and also I love history and it saddens me that it's so irritating to you. You can take the thoughts or leave them, but I hope you'll at least give them a moment's consideration.
Where I'm from - I've never been to a university or junior college that DIDNT require at least one history class for ANY major.
Putting the P in Pweb since 2001

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:04 pm

The fear of making a mistake and the degree to which it can be costly that comes along with my job.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:46 pm

Where I'm from - I've never been to a university or junior college that DIDNT require at least one history class for ANY major.
I didn't take a single history class to get my BS in Bioengineering/BA in English. My univeristy had distribution requirements but you could pick freely within those groups, as long as you took at least 12 hours of each. Loosely, D1 was the humanities (english, philosophy, religious studies, etc.), D2 was social sciences (history was here for some reason, economics, poli sci, etc.) and D3 was the hard sciences (biology, chemistry, engineering, math, etc.)

(Actually, I filled my D2 credits with AP credit. But, I loved a lot of my distribution classes. Especially my D1 Reli 201- "Who is (not) a Jew?")
-Kim

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:47 am

When did Youtube become pop-up video?
A little while after Nico Nico (and probably other sites) had a similar feature. You can turn it off, you know.

I believe our uni has (US?) history class requirements, but I got out of them with AP credit. Booyah. I still took a Japanese history course for general credit, though, which was cool.

Also honest question for Wil: why the f*** do you care so much about having a 4.0?

Possibly less abrasive question: don't you have a "technical GPA"? I thought that's what that was for.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:24 am

I like having a 4.0 so I can be like "Ha, bitch, I have a 4.0. Suck it!"...

Actually I don't really care, it's just nice having it. It's just a shame that I am going to lose it to HISTORY of all things. Oh, also, while I <WAS> in school I wasn't really trying as hard as I should have been so my having and maintaining a 4.0 is sort of proving to myself that my brain does work and I'm not quite so dumb as I believe I am.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:00 pm

Not to bring you down, Wil, but I think having a 4.0 means very little, in general.

I don't think anyone in my degree program, including the smartest of us, graduated with 4.0's. Many of us graduated with honors, overall.

When I did post-bacc work at another university, I maintained a 4.0 really, really, really easily. I'm significantly more proud of my academic achievements in my sub-4.0 coursework.
-Kim

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:54 am

It's not that I don't enjoy the class. It is quite interesting in fact. I just hate that he is treating it as if everyone in the class are history majors and should thus be fluent in names and dates.
He's a poor professor. The focus of history shouldn't be a list of dates and names to memorize. It's about so much more than that. Knowing the Mexican Revolution began in 1910 is all well and good, but if you don't understand why, it doesn't amount to much. Knowing that the Seneca Falls Convention convention was held in 1848 is a great trivia nugget, but if you don't understand what women like Elizabeth Cady Stanton were trying to accomplish there, you don't know history, you know dates, you know one little fact.

Sadly, I know a lot of people who have gone to community colleges and that's all they've been taught: a list of dates, names, and events to memorize. You can't memorize history. I know a lot of kids that went to state schools, too, that did the same thing. Maybe I'm just spoiled because I graduated from a small liberal arts college, but the students there were not taught to memorize facts, it was discussion of ideas and research that were embraced and encouraged, as it should be.

I love history. Last year, I spent countless hours in a musky room of newspapers, yearbooks, diaries, event programs, photographs, whathaveyou. I held the history of that college between my hands, I treated it with respect and care, I discovered lost stories, traditions long since abandoned. The feeling of discovery, the knowledge that there are so many memories just waiting to be told, the happiness of sitting at a big oak table with a few friends talking about what we found: that is what history is to me. It's not a list; it can't be memorized. It's so much more.

I'm sorry you have such a poor professor, not just for you, but for everyone. They ruin the love of history for people, when the study of history can be so wonderful. I'm sorry.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:38 am

Let me tell you... that test blew. Pick two of four questions. Write four to five pages pages of one subject and three to four pages of another subject. (University level 1 page in 10 minute level apparently?) -- two full pages and a quarter of page 3 done and had 20 minutes left. Went to next question, bullshit my way through it, and got two pages done. Talked to some other students and they didn't even get the 4/5 pages of the first question done and never even started on question two. We'll see how badly I did.

And yeah, I agree, he is a bad professor. :( I do find history interesting. It's... like reading fiction on a century-scale. It's really interesting knowing what people did, how they did it, and why they did it. He just makes it... annoyingly difficult to show that I am reading and I am understanding and learning about it. I'm a slow writer. I can't do a page in 10 minutes even if I DID have my thoughts together to form a coherent essay!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:47 pm

Rocky Horror Picture Show. I just can't stand it.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:48 pm

I hate that I passed His wife (who is also one of my former best friends) on the highway today. I mean, what are the odds? This occurred in the nearest city to me which has a population of 100k. I live about 30 minutes away from it and she lives about 20 minutes away from it. Stupid coincidences.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:19 pm

The fact that I was too stupid to know my overdraft fee was $50 more than I expected.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:15 pm

I hate it when my computer, with no such order by me and probably during my use of an application, decides to restart.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Texas!

f****** longhorns
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:41 pm

Texas!

f****** longhorns
It's your cosmic payback for insulting AZ the other night. We are definitely not part of that horrible state.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:42 pm

Texas is a fantastic state!

Though, I will admit to some animosity toward the longhorns.
-Kim

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:22 pm

I have not seen any fruit flies or other flying insects in the house, and somehow one lands in my chocolate milk just now.

>_<
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:37 pm

goddamn I forgot about the Arizona teasing...

USC did beat Arizona State thoroughly though, so that was a good thing.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:06 pm

USC did beat Arizona State
Fantastic news; Sun Devils suck. :D

Wow, so my school is actually 4-2 according to ESPN. Crazy, that.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:36 am

Yeah Arizona is in the top half of the Pac 10 this year.

you've got us at home next week. If I'd thought about it, I'd come down for the game if you could get tickets. :P then again, maybe not, there are some important panels/sessions at SC next Saturday I'll be dragging myself to after an hour or two 'nap' when I get off of work. :(

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:01 pm

Arizona football tickets are relatively easy to get, with advanced warning. Of course, with less warning, stubhub isn't a bad place to look.

Keep in mind, though, it'd be a long time in a car. LA to Tucson, depending on speed and route, would take ~7-9 hours. It's also Homecoming weekend.

'Not' is probably looking more appealing but if you're crazy, le'me know. :P

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:03 pm

That my mom is probably one of the few people in the world that still thinks that OJ is innocent (of the murders). It drives me absolutely batty.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:41 am

I hate getting this: The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

and having to hit F5 a million times to move from one link to another.

ETA: The theme of the day- Interviewing.

Walking away from an interview feeling like you didn't ace it, because everything else just isn't good enough.

Thinking of better answers to questions after you've left an interview.

Having to wait to find out if you got the job or not.

neo-dragon
Commander
Commander
Title: Huey Revolutionary

Postby neo-dragon » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:09 pm

ETA: The theme of the day- Interviewing.

Walking away from an interview feeling like you didn't ace it, because everything else just isn't good enough.

Thinking of better answers to questions after you've left an interview.

Having to wait to find out if you got the job or not.
I can definitely relate to that. I hope that good news is on the way, but even if it doesn't work out this time, know that it will eventually.
"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic."
- Frank Herbert's 'Dune'

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:32 pm

I hate 3 hour, mandatory, after school ethics sessions. Especially when they come after a super long histology exam.

Speaking of which, I hate all day histology exams. We take the written exam at 8AM. Then the visual ID sections from 3-5. Really, all day? Really? I guess I should be used to it, since this is the third one.
-Kim

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:34 pm

I hate getting this: The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
I hate that too, and even more so, I hate that I'm a mod and I can't do anything about that.
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Jebus
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Lord and Saviour
First Joined: 07 Nov 2001

Postby Jebus » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:31 am

I hate negativity and s***** jokes.

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:04 pm

CA freeways/highways.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”