Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:03 pm

Wikipedia seems to think a lot of people, critics and not, like it.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Yebra
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Shadow Zebra

Postby Yebra » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:33 pm

I like it.
Yebra: A cross between a zebra and something that fancied a zebra.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:23 pm

I hate math.

To be more specific: I hate Geometry and series' studying. I like the geometrical way of solving problems (AKA you're given several tools to solve any problem, and you are given a problem to use those tools on) but I just seem to suck at it.

(Maybe I'm writing this just because I have a Math test in 9 hours and I don't feel prepared..)
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:19 pm

To get this out of the way: This is not brought on by anything recent but it is still related I guess.

I hate, so much, that people delete things. Posts, pictures, etc. Specifically her. She deleted so many things that she wrote to me. I wish she hadn't. It's almost selfish of her, but don't take that to be an insult. It just feels like... she took so many of my emotions, our friendship, and my heart (*excuse the cheesiness*)... and then she took much of the past also.

"One day I'll show this to you and you'll know that even though I stopped talking with you I never stopped talking to you."

Paraphrased, of course, but gone forever. Just like you. And so many other things too. Blah.

I hate that I still feel this way. A year now... and I still feel this way. I'm sure it doesn't help dwelling on it, but I don't think people ever get over it... people just find someone new to distract them. Everyone else seems like such a poor substitute despite the fact that you disappointed me so greatly. I think "Hey, she's pretty" or "Hey, she's smart", but I don't find them attractive. *sigh*

I also hate that I hate her for being happy while I'm not.

... I really need to stop being so depressing.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:15 am

I hate when I'm going to post something in a "list" thread and, when I read the latest thing posted, they happen to somewhat apply to each other, and I'm worried that I'll look like a jerk for posting it.

So, apologies, Wil, sincerely, because this does not apply to your post in any way:

I hate drama.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:18 am

exception: failed to find preroll point on tape

most infuriating error message in all of avid, because it meant a tape has been sitting idle for some undefined amount of time instead of capturing.
So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Derwyddon
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Derwyddon » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:08 am

I hate people who don't know basic traffic laws.

Turn your turn signal on BEFORE you start to slow down (DUH its to let people know you're about to slow down!) As a matter of fact, using your turn signal AT ALL is a pretty good rule.

If you wait forever at a 4-way stop to be "polite" to the people who obviously got there after you, you're not being polite, you're making a simple process complicated. It isn't like holding a door for someone, there is a set up system to make getting through the intersection safe. FOLLOW THE RULES.

Now I understand that these turn-abouts are really confusing, that they are suddenly popping up in random places and no one ever told you about them, but use some common sense. They're pretty easy to figure out.

If you stop in the middle of a street in your neighbor hood to talk to Joe Shmo who happened to be standing at his mailbox, you are stopping traffic. I get it, it's just your neighborhood, but when the cars come, MOVE.
Putting the P in Pweb since 2001

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:31 am

But if you use your turn signals it lets your opponents know what you're going to do and they'll be better able to thwart you. How can you win if you use a handicap but no one else is?

(just kidding, I always use my turn signal even in LA traffic and it causes the person a good carlength behind me to speed up in order to prevent my merging into the gap.)

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:58 am

I HATE AUTHOR CARDS!
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:32 pm

On the subject of cars... people that (when driving) see me waiting to cross the street, and slow down/stop to let me walk across, when there's no other cars behind them. I wait a little bit to make sure they're actually stopping, and then can go. If they just drove on without altering their speed at all, I would have to wait less time. You're just wasting everyone's time! Drive on!
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:23 am

So, apologies, Wil, sincerely, because this does not apply to your post in any way:

I hate drama.
Uh huh. :wink:

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:51 pm

On the subject of cars... people that (when driving) see me waiting to cross the street, and slow down/stop to let me walk across, when there's no other cars behind them. I wait a little bit to make sure they're actually stopping, and then can go. If they just drove on without altering their speed at all, I would have to wait less time. You're just wasting everyone's time! Drive on!
Is this in a parking lot? Or in an actual street? I stop to let people pass in parking lots but never in the street. But then again, I'm proud of the fact that pedestrians *never* have the right of way (in practice) in New York!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:28 pm

I hate the fact that I am alone (in a romantic sense).

Though, I feel as if I just want any girlfriend, not a specific one, and that disgusts me- and I don't want to make the poor girl I choose feel bad. So that's a reason why I don't make any romantic moves.
And also, main reason: I'm pretty shy (in our local standards). And pretty ugly (and fat, though I'm working on that).

I just feel depressed because when we went out today (just now) (friends and I) my friend, who was drunk, made out (several times) with my "colleague" (we rarely speak), who is beautiful. And that reminded me that I am lonely.

And the paradox surrounding this post is that I'm writing to you guys (and girls) because I need someone to listen to me, whereas even people on this board don't listen to me (read me and reply). And if you don't listen to me, you probably also won't read the passage I just wrote.

4:25 in the morning. Gotta go to sleep. Sorry for spamming.
We do! We do!
We do! We do!
We do! We do!
We do, we do!

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:42 pm

I read it, Bonito... but I don't really have anything to say that's constructive. Good luck!
-Kim

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:19 am

Is this in a parking lot? Or in an actual street? I stop to let people pass in parking lots but never in the street. But then again, I'm proud of the fact that pedestrians *never* have the right of way (in practice) in New York!
In the street (I would hope that cars in parking lots are not travelling fast enough to actually make a difference in this case...). Some places are crosswalks, some with signs informing drivers that it's unlawful to not yield to pedestrians. But that doesn't make it less stupid.

Edit:

The entire idea of turning emoticons into images. It ruins them. :D should look like :D, dammit.

dgf hhw

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:27 am

High fashion.

I was watching Sex and the City: The Movie with my mom and there's a scene at some big annual NYC fashion show. It reminded me how much I think the 'outfits' models wear look like pure crap.

Also, purses. Hate them. Especially the hideous, overpriced brand purses.

They're a pain in the ass and awkward as hell; if I want to carry my wallet and phone in anything, it's going to be a backpack. Otherwise, pockets and my hands do just fine.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:34 am

I hate the fact that I am alone (in a romantic sense).

Though, I feel as if I just want any girlfriend, not a specific one, and that disgusts me- and I don't want to make the poor girl I choose feel bad. So that's a reason why I don't make any romantic moves.
And also, main reason: I'm pretty shy (in our local standards). And pretty ugly (and fat, though I'm working on that).

I just feel depressed because when we went out today (just now) (friends and I) my friend, who was drunk, made out (several times) with my "colleague" (we rarely speak), who is beautiful. And that reminded me that I am lonely.

And the paradox surrounding this post is that I'm writing to you guys (and girls) because I need someone to listen to me, whereas even people on this board don't listen to me (read me and reply). And if you don't listen to me, you probably also won't read the passage I just wrote.

4:25 in the morning. Gotta go to sleep. Sorry for spamming.
I get this feeling like every october/november for some reason. Mayhaps it's the human mating season? the harvest has come in and we're at our most fertile from consuming much foodstuffs sort of the thing? that and it's getting cold and the cavemen have to keep warm... :p

but I"m listening.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:57 am

Thanks, y'all.

Other hatreds: I hate when the code doesn't work properly, and I can't figure out what's the problem.
We do! We do!
We do! We do!
We do! We do!
We do, we do!

Kaira
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kaira » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:09 pm

I Hate when im talking to someone about something important to me and they sit and listen politly then when im finnished they completly disregard everything i said as if it didnt matter at all. i mean really, if what i say really doesnt matter why ask my opinion at all?

I hate annoying laughs. it irritates me so much cuz i know i shouldnt get annoyed when someone laughs, i feel so bad cuz i know its completly screwed up, but that only makes me more annoyed...

it also drives me insain when people CANT read quality lit but can read smutty romance novels. i mean really. dont be so narrow minded its not that hard to be diverse
Into that world inverted
Where left is always right,
Where the shadows are really the body,
Where we stay awake all night,
Where the heavens are shallow as the sea is how deep,
And you love me.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:20 pm

I would recommend the Kushiel books to them. Then they can have their cake and eat it too.
The enemy's fly is down.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:33 pm

I hate those kind of water bottles that squirt the water when you squeeze it. I don't hate using them, I just hate it when other people do.

There are so many stupid noises that people could avoid by just closing their mouths.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:22 am

I have discovered something I hate even more than anything else I hate (drama, deleting things, women (jk ;)), people in general, politics, and October 14th): VIRUSES. Bahhhhhhh!

Tonight... ugh I was an idiot. I ran a simple little EXE. I was dumb for doing it. Before I clicked it I went "This is probably a bad idea"... and then I clicked anyways. Many hours later I have determined that while my data is still retrievable (thank the Gods), the OS is, for lack of a better grouping of words, effed in the ass.

This is typically no big deal - reformatting and starting over is typically nothing to me, but getting that computer set up just perfect took me WEEKS of tweaking and trial and error before I was finally satisfied... and I don't particularly want to go back and repeat that so soon.

I hate Microsoft for not being able to copy UNIX permissions so that an executable needs express permission from the admin to write to system files. I hate myself for running that damnable EXE. I hate that I lost what amounts to several hours of pre-NANO writing and backstory. I hate that it's October already. I hate that this October had to be started with this. I hate that this ruined an otherwise good day (got 4/4 on my History quiz from Thursday). I hate that it's 2:00am, I need to be up at 8am, I don't feel like I could sleep, and I feel like committing seppuku. On top of all that, I'm going through one of my lonely sulking fits I go through a couple times a month and so it's just making everything that much worse.

I've decided to drop Windows for awhile and move back to Linux. Tomorrow I'll grab what files I need using a LiveCD, and then install Ubuntu to my PC. Then perhaps if I feel up to it I'll save files on THIS pc and reformat it with Windows since it's about over nine thousand times easier to do and it really does need it. Then, if all that goes well, KM will message me, tell me everything I want to hear, and then God will strike me down because he's a cruel son of a bitch who enjoys poking us all with sticks. :x

locke
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby locke » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:38 am

and the stickcs are pointy too :(

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:27 pm

Formalin... or, maybe phenol... or, maybe propylene glycol.. or.. something else?

I'm not sure exactly what it is, but, I HATE whatever chemical it is in the anatomy lab that I'm reacting to. I do not appreciate having my neck and/or face turn red and itchy and develop hives in anatomy lab.

I also hate the variety of extra work this is giving me. Because, really, I need to figure out what's happening and what I can do about it. I need to know what chemical I'm reacting to (because this dictates how easy it would be to avoid it in lab. If it's the formalin, that's fine, I can work on only the animals embalmed in the Carolina solution. If it's the wetting solution components, though, I'm screwed.) So, now I need to figure out how to get in to see either a dermatologist or an allergist... preferably without having to get a referral from my GP.
-Kim

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:13 pm

Whichever insect it is that makes me swell up like a balloon (albeit one you wouldn't want to use/doesn't float/isn't a balloon)

It only happens at this time of year, only to me, and makes palm-sized red, hot, VERY ITCHY swellings that last for days

And the only medicine that works I can't take during school because it makes me go to sleep, or something near it.

[/rant]

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:51 pm

I hate Microsoft for not being able to copy UNIX permissions so that an executable needs express permission from the admin to write to system files.
Uh, isn't this what Administrator is for?

The UNIX permission model certainly would have been a vast improvement over earlier Windows versions, but if you think it would help in situations like this you are sorely mistaken.

dgf hhw

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:05 pm

Except that the majority of the people (read: a large chunk of home user and a portion of the work users) don't bother with separating themselves from the admin account. Why? Because I for one know that if I wanted to install a program I would NOT want to log off my user account, switch to the admin account, install the program, then log off my admin account and back in to my user account. Besides that, simple user accounts can still modify files outside of their own program directory without permission and have the potential to cause havoc.

UNIX permissions are much more effective, especially considering that when I want to install a program it just pops up and asks for the admin password and continues on with the installation. Or, if I want to run a command from the prompt, I can just run it sudo. It is MUCH more intuitive than Windows' roundabout way of having admin permissions.

And, yes, it would have been more effective. If I run a program and then a window pops up saying that X program is attempting to write to programs/files outside of it's own directory and the program isn't supposed to, then obviously it's been effective at stopping a potential virus. Now obviously it wouldn't help if people went ahead and let it access those files, but if I know what the program is SUPPOSED to do and it's trying to do something completely different then it would help.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:23 am

UNIX permissions are much more effective, especially considering that when I want to install a program it just pops up and asks for the admin password and continues on with the installation. Or, if I want to run a command from the prompt, I can just run it sudo. It is MUCH more intuitive than Windows' roundabout way of having admin permissions.
Look up the windows command 'runas'. And this is a simple privilege escalation model, and has nothing to do with most of UNIX permissions; it can (and does) exist in most any modern system.
And, yes, it would have been more effective. If I run a program and then a window pops up saying that X program is attempting to write to programs/files outside of it's own directory and the program isn't supposed to, then obviously it's been effective at stopping a potential virus. Now obviously it wouldn't help if people went ahead and let it access those files, but if I know what the program is SUPPOSED to do and it's trying to do something completely different then it would help.
I meant that it won't prevent an arbitrary command that you run as yourself from messing up your files. There's not a whole lot any security mechanism can do about that; you ran the command, so it assumes you want to do it. I don't mean blindingly accepting security warnings, either; there is no security warning to give, unless you give one for every single command you run.

dgf hhw

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:31 pm

That I can't even vote for the Rhino party in this election.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:10 am

Right now? It would seem Everything.

This town.
This neighborhood.
Aspects of this household:
My brother's inability to wash his own f****** dishes.
My brother's inability to work out a run schedule with me for the use of my treadmill.
I have to share the bathroom. And the tv in the living room.
My dad making me feel bad for wanting to be left alone.
My dad messing with my mom's head.
That other guy messing with my mom's head.
My mom lying to me about things involving my dad.
My friends not taking no for an answer.
My friends dragging me places that require money when they know I still have bills and no money coming in.
That I feel so scared every time I see a former student (3 in the past 2 days).
That I feel so scared when I see a police officer (one came to my house recently, but thankfully, not for anyone who lives here).
Not having any luck with jobs.
People thinking I'm not trying.
People thinking I'm enjoying this idle time.
Not having my job.
Hearing about bad teachers -who don't care about anything but getting a paycheck- who still have a job.
Being told I should do things I hate.
Getting bad sleep.
Having to listen to my sister-in-law talk s*** about my brother and this family because I'm too much of a pushover who hates causing conflict.
Having to accept the home-wrecker if my dad is involved.
That my dad changes when he's with her (he's unreliable).
That I'm being ignored by one friend, who I think is completely clueless about my life for the past couple months.
That I feel like I can't trust Bob with certain things.
Being 'heh' -ed at!
That I spend too much time in front of mirrors thinking this is too big, this is too small, there's too much of this, and too little of that.
Feeling like I'm the only one trying awfully hard to make [x] work.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Eddie Pinz
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ganon's Bane

Postby Eddie Pinz » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:44 am

My friends not taking no for an answer.
My friends dragging me places that require money when they know I still have bills and no money coming in.
Not having any luck with jobs.
People thinking I'm not trying.
People thinking I'm enjoying this idle time.
Being told I should do things I hate.
Getting bad sleep.
*nods*

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:33 pm

Self-induced headaches caused by eating french fries at lunch. I know that they make me sleepy and headachey, damnit! I know better than to do that.

Also, I hate McDonalds. In my defense regarding the french fry headache, stupid McDonalds wouldn't let me substitute apple dippers. They are nazis with adult meals -- you WILL have fries on the side, damnit! I normally go to Wendy's and get mandarin oranges or a baked potato (anything but fries), but I thought I was running short on time and it was the closest restaurant. This brings me to the next thing I hate:

No shows. I could've taken the extra five minutes to drive to Wendy's, damnit.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:46 pm

Not understanding why a non-filtered word causes offense, but a filtered word (knowing FULL well what that word is) does not. I mean, what's different? The word is there, it hasn't changed, but because you can't see it you're not offended? Isn't that kind of like... promoting ignorance? You're not filtering the meaning, simply the word. I can say I pricked my finger and you take no offense, I can say I pr***ed my finger, and you take no offense. I can say you're a pr***, you take no offense. But, if I say you're a prick, you take offense? I just don't get it.

Not understanding why people take offense to words in the first place.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:38 pm

That the cool vaccines don't have good primary research articles. But the lame vaccines do.

I want to write about crotalus antitoxoid (rattlesnake vaccine) or ProHeart 6 (6 month heartworm prevention vaccine that got pulled off the market and is back in clinical testing)... rather than something boring like FeLV.
-Kim

mazer
Soldier
Soldier
Title: Rackham

Postby mazer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:24 pm

I hate staying at school 2 hours after everyone has left

Return to “Milagre Town Square”