Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Not the mama!

Postby Wil » Thu May 29, 2008 2:07 pm

Aww, I love you too, man. :D

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Thu May 29, 2008 2:30 pm

Purple colored candy that's that muddy ugly color of purple. Purple is such a nice color. Why must purple candy look unappetizing and brown?
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

zeroguy
Commander
Commander
Title: 01111010 01100111
First Joined: 0- 8-2001

Postby zeroguy » Fri May 30, 2008 11:57 pm

When the last level in an episode of N seems so much more difficult than the others.... I feel like giving up, but the thought of redoing the previous four seems so agonizing...

When driving, I see people THROW CIGARETTES OUT THE WINDOW WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU. er, ahem.

I'm sorry, but Death Note. I was first introduced to it about three years ago. Read a couple of chapters, and set it down, just thinking "okay, it's not my thing". Later, people told me to watch the anime, so I saw about five episodes, and stopped; once again, just not my thing. But now the popularity of it has grown to the point that it's kinda hard to ignore, and now I know the general entire plot because I just hear so much about it. If I hear another comment like "yeah, it wasn't really that great after Misa was introduced".... guess what, it was already stupid.
Proud member of the Canadian Alliance.

dgf hhw

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Queen Ducky
First Joined: 25 Feb 2002

Postby Jayelle » Sat May 31, 2008 8:48 am

When driving, I see people THROW CIGARETTES OUT THE WINDOW WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU. er, ahem.
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. This is the thing that bugs me the most about smokers. Forget the health issues, stop LITTERING! People who nicely throw their coffee cup and other litter into the garbage can, and then crush their butt on the ground and walk away.

Who is supposed to deal with those? The magical butt fairies?
One Duck to rule them all.
--------------------------------
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Sat May 31, 2008 10:13 am

Who is supposed to deal with those? The magical butt fairies?
I think they have other things to deal with, if you know what I mean. :wink:
Last edited by Mich on Sat May 31, 2008 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Sat May 31, 2008 1:29 pm

Indeed, indeed. Poor choice of words.

3nder
Soldier
Soldier

Postby 3nder » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:29 pm

I hate it when i leave my phone in my pants when i go to bed and in the morning when people try to call i have to get up to awnser.....
Never go to bed angry....
Stay up and plot your revenge.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:44 pm

I hate how my phone will continue to buzz every ten minutes if I've missed a call until I acknowledge that I've missed one. Can't find out how to turn this "feature" off...

Row--row.

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:48 am

I hate theatre class, math tests, and full-year's-material History tests. And the thing I hate most is when they combine.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:09 pm

*Being '"heh"ed at. It doesn't matter how it's meant, it always translates into a condescending shoulder shrug, snort, eye roll, I'm too unimpressed to give any other answer sort of thing.

*Being called "kid" by people who are younger than me.

*Being treated like a kid by those older than me, while they tell me "Act your age, you're an adult."

*People who smell like cigarette smoke *looking at you lady in the post office*

*The phrase 'kthxbye' or whatever it is. It reminds me of a (former) Pwebber I don't like.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:03 pm

*Being '"heh"ed at. It doesn't matter how it's meant, it always translates into a condescending shoulder shrug, snort, eye roll, I'm too unimpressed to give any other answer sort of thing.

*Being treated like a kid by those older than me, while they tell me "Act your age, you're an adult."
I use "heh" when people disappoint me.

Also, that's one of the perks of getting older... you're older than everyone else. :D

* I hate bad strawberries.

* I hate weird, awkward, disgusting dreams.

* I hate having to use "heh"

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:00 pm

*The phrase 'kthxbye' or whatever it is. It reminds me of a (former) Pwebber I don't like.
I hate that phrase so much. No matter who is using it, it makes them seem so ditzy.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:18 am

The enemy's fly is down.

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:26 am

Wow.

Speaking of things I hate...

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:30 am

Now that's a good one. I can't think of any situation, except for sarcastic ones, in which that phrase doesn't grind my teeth. That's right, I don't grind them; the phrase does it all for me.

Even worse is out loud.

Row--row.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:12 am

Game over. I never thought it possible, but someone has managed to end the rickroll. Also, coincidentally, we also found the elusive sound that makes you punch babies. Dane Cook warned us...

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:58 pm

Monty Python.
Actually, people who insist on quoting Monty Python in horrible high-pitched very bad British accents - and then proceeding to go on and on and on, quoting entire scenes at length.
SHUT. UP. You are not British. You are just annoying.

(P.S. to DarthP: not directed at you for posting one in the Quotes thread, it just reminded me how I hate them in person.)

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:18 pm

When a company drops vowels in its product's name to make it look hipper/cooler/whatever. Razr and Flickr are prime examples.
The enemy's fly is down.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:30 pm

Monty Python.
http://xkcd.com/16/

What irritates me is that I wonder if I really would have liked it if it weren't for all the damn people quoting it all the time. This isn't exclusive to Monty Python by any means; there seems to be a certain class of people who just get off on saying the same joke all the goddamn time even if it's an inside joke that one person understands in a large group, even if that one person has heard the same quote/joke all the goddamn time.

Yeah, guess what I hate. These people kill humor; often intentionally, I fear.

dgf hhw

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 am

The fact that Signet published the first four Dark Tower books in a series, with matching cover art, so that they all look nice together... and then aren't the publishers for the last three. I can never have a matching set, unless I buy the first four AGAIN, which I would probably never do, anyway, because I have both a thing against getting rid of books and a thing about owning more than one copy of something. Besides, I've never seen copies of books V, VI and VII that actually match, so I don't think I would be able to find a set of them until they release the "Super-Ultra-Mega Edition" in about ten years.

Grr.

Row--row.

Jayelle
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead

Postby Jayelle » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:44 am

I feel the same way about the Wrinkle in Time series. The first two match, but the third one is different.

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:03 am

Linguistics terminology (or whatever is the name for things like "bilabial fricative"). Version control terminology (like "topic branch"). I don't know why, but it's prevented me from learning what most of the terms mean.

dgf hhw

BonitoDeMadrid
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Bonzo was Framed

Postby BonitoDeMadrid » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:21 am

Fricking history tests that require you to study nearly everything you studied over the year, in 5 days. I hate those. Who the heck cares what were the 14 points of Willson (sp?) from WWI? Or what did it say in the Versailles treaty? And that is just the beginning.
Who controls the British crown? Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps? Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car? Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cavefish of their sight? Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do, we do!

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:48 pm

The Discovery Channel feeling the need to constantly tell me how long until "When We Left Earth" airs. Constantly as in there is a countdown timer in the corner that only disappears when commercials are on. That much reminding is just, like, unspeakable unnecessary.

Row--row.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:49 am

People who park their cars on the street half a car length away from the car in front of them, so that, in aggregate, you could probably end up fitting at least 3-4 more cars on the street, were they parked properly. This also annoys me in the winter, when you can't see the parking lines in parking lots, and people park way further away than necessary from the car beside them. This is especially annoying given how very little parking space there is on this stupid campus.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:37 pm

I don't even know what to call it...hacking?

My hotmail (80 returned emails that I never personally sent), Paypal (a now locked account), a myspace (attempted password change) and cell phone account (attempted password change) have been tampered with by someone/something.

I'm watching my credit card...only I'm scared to check my account online and my paper info is being shipped to my house, not where I am living now.

Mich
Commander
Commander

Postby Mich » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:41 pm

The fact that my mother apparently loathes being corrected, something quite (and I hate using the phrase) hypocritical, considering it is from she that I got my grammar obsession. There was a fight today when I corrected her pronunciation of Spongebob, a show that I also completely hate.

She puts the emphasis on the first B.

Row--row.

Virlomi
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: has been eaten by a bear

Postby Virlomi » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:41 pm

My hotmail (80 returned emails that I never personally sent), Paypal (a now locked account), a myspace (attempted password change) and cell phone account (attempted password change) have been tampered with by someone/something.

I'm watching my credit card...only I'm scared to check my account online and my paper info is being shipped to my house, not where I am living now.
Oh goodness. That's awful.

Let me know if you need anything.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:36 pm

Even though you didn't ask...

Don't sign in to anything else. If you've been using a public computer make sure your passwords are different on everything and you always sign off. Never supply real information to those "Forgotten Password Questions" because the information they ask is too easy for people to get. You'd be better off writing the passwords down on your hand. If you've been using your computer, you could virus/adware/spyware scan your PC with Trend Micro Online/Ad-Aware and remove what you may have... or just make it easy and save your files and reformat your PC with the most-likely-supplied restore disk for your PC.

Make sure your passwords aren't easy passwords. To make them most secure they should be alpha-numerical with mixed case and non-dictionary words (no names, places, things - ex: don't use "ender" or "monkeys" or "cubsfan"). If allowed, they should also have symbols. A good example would be rAr76oAM or kaj*XnC73. Also, though this is just being excessive now, you should use a different email for each different website with password-recovery because if you only use one, once they get access to your email they can recover every password and have access to everything.

I don't even take my own advice. I have only two different passwords (important, unimportant.. both are very strong passwords), I have a different password on my email, I only use one primary email. I never supply real forgotten-password information. I've not had ANY problems though, and I don't even use active virus/internet security software. It's probably been 4 or 5 years since I've gotten one, and when I used to get them before I would just remove them myself. The best advice I have is to know people, know websites, and know the signs of a virus. If you're not sure, there are single-file scanners on the internet. Never accept files send randomly over various IM programs, never open exe/scr files sent through email (jpg,png,gif,tiff mp3,aac,mp4,m4a,wma avi,mkv,mpg,wma - are all safe files when opened in not-windows-media-player), and watch the address bar of files you download. If downloading, for example, AIM make sure you are at "aim.com/download", and not "aim.com@222.222.222.222/download" for example (though, many browsers detect this now). On secured websites watch for the same thing but be sure to see if it starts with "https://". Also, NEVER GIVE YOUR PASSWORD TO PEOPLE. I don't care how well you know them, or how well you think you can trust them, DON'T DO IT. If you have to, change your password to something simple to remember on specific accounts until they don't need it anymore. I don't know how often I see "someone hacked me" and then later find out they've "told their friends their password". Though, for the record, I've had dozens of people give me their passwords to various things through the years and have never broken that trust. :)

Firefox or NOT-Internet Explorer
- Better than IE
- Installed with Ad-Block Plus -- blocks most all adverts on websites
- Installed with PDF Download because in-browser PDF loading can crash and lag a browser.

Thunderbird or NOT-Outlook
- Blocks image loading
- Easy spam filtering

Trillian or GAIM or NOT-Official Clients
- Not filled with lame ads
- People can't nudge you, send you audio clips, send you hand drawn pictures etc

VLC (Recommended) or Zoomplayer or MediaPlayerClasic or NOT-Real Player, NOT-Windows Media Player
- VLC loads a ton of files without needing codecs.
- Less likely to be prone to being exploited by opening media files

uTorrent or Azures or NOT-Bit Comet
- Again, not filled with ads

I also use xChat because it's better and cleaner than mIRC without being exploited, I use Foxit Reader for PDF's because Adobe is big and bulky. Don't install those "MSN Smiley" programs, or those "change your cursor" programs or those "desktop buddy" programs. When installing programs make sure you opt out of browser-bars, changing-homepages, and pretty much anything that wants to install other than the program you want.

I really, really dislike Norton. Anything but Norton, really. I don't use them because, well, I don't feel I need them. Most of the features are simply annoying. Norton, especially, has this habit of being a big bitch. If you're careful and know what you're installing and why you'll be fine on the interwebs.

Okay, I wrote too much. :P

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander

Postby Gravity Defier » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:59 pm

My passwords for the most part combine letters, numbers and symbols, the only websites I've visited on a public computer are Pweb and Gmail (which hasn't been affected as far as I know), otherwise I've been on family computers, and I've finally been able to get rid of my step-mom's Norton and replaced it with AVG & Comodo (I have no idea if that was a dumb move or not or if I should get rid of one and let the other do all the work or do something altogether different...) and the computer just got a new hard drive last Monday; would it really be good to reformat? I guess it probably is, if my accounts have been messed with.

As for password recovery, I have that split between my two active email addresses (most go to the primary -> Gmail).

I don't really download on this computer, with the exception of AVG/Comodo, and one video I sent myself from my cell phone (my nephew's booty shake dance :)). The only people I've given my passwords to (that I still use) are my little brother and maybe Janelle, both of whom I trust without fail.

I do use IE, but I may just go ahead and download Firefox now that my step-mom is gone and can't tell me not to touch her programs.

My dad uses Outlook and I'm not about to go there and tell him not to.

I use meebo for chatting, since again, step-mom wasn't letting me download. I ignore anyone I don't know who doesn't immediately identify themselves...hell, sometimes I ignore people I do know, so it's been a good many years since I've downloaded a file through IM and always through a trusted friend/family member when I did.

Step-mom downloaded a cursor program thing-a-ma-bob, but that hard drive crashed, so it's technically no longer on the computer.

Anyway, thanks for all that. I'm largely annoyed at this because I thought I was pretty good at keeping at least my browsing safe.

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:09 pm

Reformatting is excessive, yes, but even if you scan with TrendMicro/AVG/Ad-Aware/etc it can still miss things. Maybe it's just me, but I don't store that many need-to-keep things on my computer. Most everything I need I keep stored on my hosting server. So, because of that, I consider the 2-3 hours of reformatting and reinstalling easier than spending at least that amount of time scanning and hoping. Ease of mind and all that.

Sounds like you're pretty good with passwords and the like. Just making sure because many people don't know. :) Even if you've only used family computers there is still the possibility there. If you can narrow down what websites you accessed where you may want to let them know. Or, it could be that forgotten password question thing also? Sometimes it's a mystery how people gain access to things. All you can do is hope. :P

zeroguy
Commander
Commander

Postby zeroguy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:23 pm

I hate that this really is the only way to refer to it these days and have people understand you. *shakes fist at media*
- Better than IE
I hate fanboy zealotry.

dgf hhw

Wil
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Wil » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:31 pm

- Better than IE
I hate fanboy zealotry.
It IS better than IE. Don't call it fanboy zealotry when it's true.

You could use Opera if you wanted too... just don't use that piece of junk they call an internet browser that Microsoft puts out. It's the major browser, so it'll have the most people working on exploiting it. It's slow to fix exploits. It's also excessively crappy with ActiveX controls, and it doesn't have AdBlockPlus or ForcastFox or FlashBlock or any of those fancy, helpful add-ons that Firefox does.

I hate people who are quick to dub people fanboys.

Bean_wannabe
Soldier
Soldier
Title: I spy with my Fishy Eye
First Joined: 08 Nov 2007

Postby Bean_wannabe » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:34 am

I prefer Safari - go, sidelined apple product!

ender1
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: I know Photo-fu

Postby ender1 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:48 pm

I hate fanboy zealotry.
As do I.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”