Things that I hate

Talk about anything under the sun or stars - but keep it civil. This is where we really get to know each other. Everyone is welcome, and invited!
Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Re: Things that I hate

Postby Luet » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:08 pm

I hate that I just had my second large car repair bill in as many weeks. Over $1000 total for a exhaust manifold and catalytic converter. Boo!!
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: The Bombadil

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:16 pm

My brother's new dog stepped on my laptop and cracked my trackpad. :bash:
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:49 pm

I hate how impossible it feels to get out of a sadness spiral once I've started.

I also hate how seeing zero is probably the only thing that's going to break that. Not just because he's a boy and I have feelings for him -I'm not entirely pathetic- but because I just want to see and be with a friend and feel like I'm not alone and no one has my back all the damn time.

I hate how the next best thing I have to doing things with people is posting pictures on FB of things I did alone, in an attempt to share, and not even my family can take two seconds to acknowledge.

I hate that it even means something to be acknowledged on FB.

I hate that it's likely a person or two will see this and only try to acknowledge things because they think that's what I want.

I hate that I love so much about my life and I have no one to share it with. Yet. zero better watch out when he gets here next year.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

starlooker
Commander
Commander
Title: Dr. Mom
First Joined: 28 Oct 2002

Postby starlooker » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:25 am

Teeth are such bitches.

Donny had an abcess that burst last night. Atticus has been up all. Damn. Night. working on tooth number four.

f*** teeth.
There's another home somewhere,
There's another glimpse of sky...
There's another way to lean
into the wind, unafraid.
There's another life out there...

~~Mary Chapin Carpenter

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:40 pm

Jessica Ridgeway was abducted, murdered and mutilated within 25 miles of where I live.

Today, there have been 3 reports in my own community of men parked in cars watching children near schools and one even attempting to approach a girl in her own yards while raking leaves after he watched her from his car for awhile. All 3 "suspects" are different men and have different cars. It's scary what some people think is ok and what some people are capable of.

I know that these things are probably not actually happening more than they normally do. The entire state is just on edge with this murder case. But that doesn't mean it's not scary. I'm kind of really glad it's snowing and will be really cold the next few days so I have an excuse (that my kids will think is valid) of why I don't want them to go play outside. I don't have a fence on my yard, after all.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:13 pm

Jessica Ridgeway was abducted, murdered and mutilated within 25 miles of where I live.

Today, there have been 3 reports in my own community of men parked in cars watching children near schools and one even attempting to approach a girl in her own yards while raking leaves after he watched her from his car for awhile. All 3 "suspects" are different men and have different cars. It's scary what some people think is ok and what some people are capable of.

I know that these things are probably not actually happening more than they normally do. The entire state is just on edge with this murder case. But that doesn't mean it's not scary. I'm kind of really glad it's snowing and will be really cold the next few days so I have an excuse (that my kids will think is valid) of why I don't want them to go play outside. I don't have a fence on my yard, after all.

If it's any consolation, statistics indicate that now is actually one of the safest times in history to be raising a child. There's less in the way of abduction and murder of kids now than there was when I was growing up. It just gets more coverage and more sensationalized. And of course it's also scary when it's in your own community.
"But the conversation of the mind was truer than any language, and they knew each other better than they ever could have by use of mere sight and touch."

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:22 am

I strongly dislike the new editor hired at APW, and have since reading her post about how she almost intentionally cheated on her husband. The post got a lot of praise for being brave and insightful and all that, but it disgusted me in a visceral way. I'm disappointed that she'll now be a constant voice on the site, because I love that place so much and still find it so valuable, even after my wedding. Whenever she was just submitting posts as a guest I could just read them, roll my eyes, and move on to the next thing, but now I feel she's a defining part of a resource I love and I'm unhappy about it and concerned about the ways in which her point of view may influence content.

Whatever. I am probably over analyzing it. I don't even know this girl. And I know being judgmental is never an attractive trait.

Gah.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

LilBee91
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: AK Hermione
First Joined: 10 Jan 2005

Postby LilBee91 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:53 am

I strongly dislike the new editor hired at APW, and have since reading her post about how she almost intentionally cheated on her husband. The post got a lot of praise for being brave and insightful and all that, but it disgusted me in a visceral way.
I just read that post. I'm with you in your disgust. Ugh.
I used to hate gravity because it would not let me fly. Now I realize it is gravity that lets me stand.

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:03 am

I strongly dislike the new editor hired at APW, and have since reading her post about how she almost intentionally cheated on her husband. The post got a lot of praise for being brave and insightful and all that, but it disgusted me in a visceral way.
I didn't read the post, but your description of it is enough to make me disgusted.

Syphon the Sun
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Ozymandias

Postby Syphon the Sun » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:38 am

Ditto. I think it's even worse that the reason it was only "almost cheating" was that the guy lost interest in her.
Step softly; a dream lies buried here.

Young Val
Commander
Commander
Title: Papermaster
First Joined: 12 Sep 2000
Location: from New York City to St. Paul, MN (but I'm a Boston girl at heart).

Postby Young Val » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:52 am

Ditto. I think it's even worse that the reason it was only "almost cheating" was that the guy lost interest in her.
That's one of the parts that I reacted to most strongly. That and how she dismisses her culpability at the end by coming to the conclusion that her desire to cheat was really just a manifestation of her grief for her single-girlhood.

ETA I feel compelled to admit that I'm probably being harsh. People make mistakes. They have complex and conflicting emotions and thoughts. Sometimes they act in ways they wish they hadn't. Sometimes they make those choices while fully aware of how wrong they are. I get it. I've got plenty of my own mistakes to answer for. APW has actually had lots and lots of posts discussing these same things, and yet, none of them really rub me the wrong way, like this one does.

I am probably a mean old judgmental married lady, and if that's the case so be it.
you snooze, you lose
well I have snozzed and lost
I'm pushing through
I'll disregard the cost
I hear the bells
so fascinating and
I'll slug it out
I'm sick of waiting
and I can
hear the bells are
ringing joyful and triumphant

Dr. Mobius
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Stayin' Alive
First Joined: 17 Aug 2002

Postby Dr. Mobius » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:46 pm

Kelly, if anything, you're not being harsh enough. I'm not even in a relationship and I think that if "my husband is working nights" is all it takes for someone to consider cheating instead of adjusting your sleep patterns to make it work with the third of the day you get to have together, then that person probably has no business being married in the first place. She's just lazy and looking for excuses.
The enemy's fly is down.

powerfulcheese04
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Momma Cat

Postby powerfulcheese04 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:43 am

Kelly, if anything, you're not being harsh enough. I'm not even in a relationship and I think that if "my husband is working nights" is all it takes for someone to consider cheating instead of adjusting your sleep patterns to make it work with the third of the day you get to have together, then that person probably has no business being married in the first place. She's just lazy and looking for excuses.
This. Totally not harsh enough. It makes me irrationally angry that she's excusing her behavior with his night shift. She wasn't working hard enough on her relationship with her husband because she was spending that energy on the other guy.

I think it makes me extra angry because Nate has worked the night shift most of our marriage. He worked the night shift halfway across the country from me for 6 months. We made it work then and we make it work now. We adjust our schedules around each other as much as possible to spend time together. I've never been tempted to cheat. I focused on my husband. Your partner's work schedule is no excuse for bad behavior.

And the other guy losing interest doesn't let you off the hook, in my experience.
-Kim

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Actually, I'm Fred (and a monster)
First Joined: 16 Mar 2004

Postby Petra456 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:44 am

I really HATE red light cameras! I stopped yesterday morning at one just like I do almost every morning, but the van behind me decided to not stop (more like, sped up because he probably thought we were going to try and beat the red). I had to punch the gas pretty hard and move forward or the van would have rear ended me, which caused the camera to go off.

Everyone says to just go to court because most of the tickets are thrown out anyways, but it's just such a hassle.
Member since March 16th, 2004.

And there will come a time, you'll see, with no more tears.
And love will not break your heart, but dismiss your fears.
Get over your hill and see what you find there,
With grace in your heart and flowers in your hair.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:00 pm

IIRC, in Spanish traffic legislation, you have to stop your car on red light iif you can do it under secure conditions. Having a car near crashing on you should be justification enough, if it's the same in NA. Good luck getting rid of the ticket, anyway :)

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:04 pm

Exercise after nearly two months of no exercise is possibly worse than Hitler.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

jotabe
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Leekmaster Kirbyfu

Postby jotabe » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:29 pm

Exercise after nearly two months of no exercise is possibly worse than Hitler.
Indeed...

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Farmer from Hell

Postby buckshot » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:47 pm

I hate that Wa.St. in a sneaky way trimmed off a week including a weekend off the late buck season. I am not amused!

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:44 am

Not sleeping.

thoughtreader
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: will wrestle you to the ground
First Joined: 13 Mar 2003

Postby thoughtreader » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:52 am

Not sleeping.
Ditto :(

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:44 am

I hate the "screw you, mommy, I had 20 minutes of sleep so I'm going to stay up till 1am" game.

And "red velvet" yoghurt is nasty.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:45 am

I hate full on beards. Stubble is great, but for some reason, beards gross me out : (

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:57 am

I hate the look of these stubble looking 1/4 in deep beards that are so popular now especially when they are greying like mine, just don't like the look or feel!

Briseis_Liberated
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Briseis_Liberated » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:44 pm

Hate onions.
Strongly dislike PATCHY beards. If you cant grow a man beard, just stop.
One mind can think only of its own questions; it rarely surprises itself. -Bean ES

Rei
Commander
Commander
Title: Fides quaerens intellectum
First Joined: 24 Nov 2003

Postby Rei » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Lately I've had a cough which sometimes somehow manages to trigger particularly violent hiccoughs. It's really unpleasant.
Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connait point.
~Blaise Pascal

私は。。。誰?

Dernhelm

Briseis_Liberated
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Briseis_Liberated » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:16 am

Hate it when I'm pretending to talk on the phone to avoid awkward situations..and then it rings.
One mind can think only of its own questions; it rarely surprises itself. -Bean ES

buckshot
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby buckshot » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:22 am

I hate it when my Dad comes out to the farm to do something in my shop, he always has a fit over whatever we have apart for repair. He starts in wavin his arms and yelling at me or Tim (partner) or whoever working on whatever that we wont ever get back together and all is lost and next he looks all over the shop for something out of place or not put away right and then always goes looking for any tools or tooling that came from my gramps and he really flips over that stuff. Then he gets out the poison pen armed with a fist full of sticky notes leaves me nasty messages on every workbench and machine in the place telling me how I do a bad job taking care of tools that have been around since God knows when. I get a bit sic of it. :D

steph
Toon Leader
Toon Leader
Title: Rocky Mountain Mama
First Joined: 0- 8-2000

Postby steph » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:54 pm

How much my abs hurt from coughing. Especially since my abs are spread apart, so the pain feels like it's in weird places.
"When I look back on my ordinary, ordinary life,
I see so much magic, though I missed it at the time." - Jamie Cullum

Eaquae Legit
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Age quod agis
First Joined: 04 Feb 2002

Postby Eaquae Legit » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:48 pm

The "Backyardigans" theme song. Effing earworm.
"Only for today, I will devote 10 minutes of my time to some good reading, remembering that just as food is necessary to the life of the body, so good reading is necessary to the life of the soul." -- Pope John XXIII

Luet
Speaker for the Dead
Speaker for the Dead
Title: Bird Nerd
First Joined: 01 Jul 2000

Postby Luet » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:16 am

But I do love the Backyardigans! It's been years since I've watched them. I like Pablo the best.
"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." - Albert Camus in Return to Tipasa

Gravity Defier
Commander
Commander
Title: Ewok in Tauntaun-land

Postby Gravity Defier » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:24 pm

I hate how my warm jacket restricts my range of motion. I'm going with the hoodie and hoping my layering was done well enough because I hate not being able to move my arms well.
Se paciente y duro; algún día este dolor te será útil.

elfprince13
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby elfprince13 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:14 pm

I hate how my warm jacket restricts my range of motion. I'm going with the hoodie and hoping my layering was done well enough because I hate not being able to move my arms well.
Layering is key, but you need to have lots of long sleeved undershirts if you want to use a hoodie as your top layer!

Mich
Commander
Commander
Title: T.U.R.T.L.E. Power
First Joined: 02 Apr 2002

Postby Mich » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:15 pm

That's seriously my main reason for loving my (by now) trademarked olive Army jacket. It's a great windbreaker, has great pockets, and isn't necessarily the warmest thing, but boy does it let me keep a wide range of motion.

Plus sentimental value. It is my grandpa's.
Shell the unshellable, crawl the uncrawlible.

Row--row.

Petra456
Toon Leader
Toon Leader

Postby Petra456 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:49 am

I hate that just becasue I went shopping on Black Friday, people think i'm crazy/don't care about the poor workers that have to work. I was one of those workers for many years, I really really feel for them and know it sucks. I also hate the guilt trip I get from most people around here when i'm excited for the money I saved on things I really needed to buy anyways (like pillows, our pillows were soooo bad).

I have a very love/hate relationship with Black Friday.

Briseis_Liberated
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Briseis_Liberated » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:22 pm

I'm with ya. I worked retail for a few years and swore I would never get out on black Friday... But then my kids (ahem *husband*) wanted a trampoline last year. So we did it.

Return to “Milagre Town Square”